I currently have a Curve 9310 on Straight Talk. I pay $45/mo for a BIS plan with unlimited everything on 3G.
    I thought I should look into the new Q10, which I am only able to find from the contract big guys. I am in sticker shock over what they want to charge for a plan. All of the plans are double what I pay now.

Is there a way to buy a Q10 from BlackBerry directly and use it on a prepaid service, like my Straight Talk plan? I'm not sure how to approach this; I'm not paying $100 for a contracted plan.

Thanks.
    07-19-13 01:24 PM
    BIS went the way of the DoDo bird with BB10.
    07-19-13 01:35 PM
    Okay. Is that something I can use to get a q10 on a prepaid plan?
    07-19-13 01:59 PM
    Yes as far as the device is unlocked and you've got the right version for your network. There are 5 variants of the q10 will th different 4G radios.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 03:09 PM
    I'm waiting too (and have been scouring the web) for this phone to become available as a prepaid......Straight Talk will not accept Blackberrys under their "bring your own phone" program. The only Blackberry they allow is the one they sell.
    08-29-13 09:11 PM
    Dude if you're in the usa then tmobile. You can buy the phone out have them unlock it for free and then go to gosmart or simple mobile and pay 50 amonth or stick with tmobile for 30 dollars and get unlimited everything else and 100 minutes

I'm a guy Dev. Deal with it.
    08-29-13 09:41 PM
    For Straight Talk you need either -3 (if you have AT&T SIM) or -5 (for T-Mobile SIM, will also work on AT&T ).

I am using Straight Talk with Q10 and you will have 2 problems:
    - you will not have internet outright but there is a easy fix through escreens:// (its like engineering menu)
    - you will not be able to send/receive MMS (picture/sound texts) - I fixed that by loading a leaked OS
    For both issues, editing the APNs is the key.

I have threads on both on this forum but if you still can't get it PM me.

Oh, and if you care about interoperability - get the -5 model as it will have all possible 3.5G bands in the world. Also, if you get a phone locked to AT&T and your sim with ST is AT&T, you dont have to unlock the phone, same for T-Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 10:17 PM
    The answer is yes, you can use the Blackberry Q10 on prepaid plans because it has a micro SIM card in the back.

I just bought a used, unlocked Blackberry Q10 from Craigslist (it was originally a Verizon branded phone). I only paid $225 for the phone. Then I went to Walmart and purchased the Walmart Family Mobile Standard & Micro SIM Starter Kit ($25). Inserted the SIM card and called customer service to have my number ported and activated.

Now I have unlimited talk, text and data for $39.88 a month. Please note after using 2.5 GB of data, they slow down data speed...but I don't usually go over that anyway.

Everything works fine, including picture text messages (MMS). The only issue I've encountered is that I CAN receive text messages from friends and family but I canNOT receive text messages from companies like Bank of America and Blue Bird for text banking. I called customer service and they said they do not offer the service to receive text messages from companies at this time.

I can live with that because the plan is so cheap...and if I want to check my bank balances, I can just login on the company's website.

I hope this helps someone.
    11-05-13 09:24 AM
    I am thinking of buying the Q10 but I don't want to do it if it won't work on the prepaid walmart or straight talk. I am not paying a lot for a phone.
    04-02-14 11:25 AM