Is there any way we can get the square app icons from the Porsche Design P'9982 on the Q10? I find that being square matches the rest of the OS much better, making for a much more cohesive experience.

Porsche Design P'9982 square icons on Q10-crackberry-image.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 04:54 AM
    Id like them, too

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 06:51 AM
    Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 07:55 PM
    I don't get it. They are square. I must be missing something.

Posted via CB10
    pttptppt likes this.
    01-02-14 08:47 PM
    He means that the corners are not rounded, just straight flat lines with pointy corners. I personally prefer the way the icon backgrounds are already on the Q10 with the slightly rounded corners. That flat minimalistic solid color crap can be kept on the fisher price toys where they belong.

I'm sure you can tell how much I loathe the modern UI (a.k.a. Metro, modern my ****).

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 10:25 PM
    He means that the corners are not rounded, just straight flat lines with pointy corners. I personally prefer the way the icon backgrounds are already on the Q10 with the slightly rounded corners. That flat minimalistic solid color crap can be kept on the fisher price toys where they belong.

I'm sure you can tell how much I loathe the modern UI (a.k.a. Metro, modern my ****).

Posted via CB10
    Metro is on the right track, graphically. But in terms of organization, it's a bloody mess.

I prefer simple design and would absolutely love to see BB10 employ the Porsche-style icon tiles. But then, I don't care much, personally, as I use a plain black background.

I'm the type that prefers to write in plain text. If I were brighter/hadmoretime, I'd use CrunchBang Linux and use terminal commands more often.
    01-03-14 12:37 AM
    Metro is on the right track, graphically. But in terms of organization, it's a bloody mess.

I prefer simple design and would absolutely love to see BB10 employ the Porsche-style icon tiles. But then, I don't care much, personally, as I use a plain black background.

I'm the type that prefers to write in plain text. If I were brighter/hadmoretime, I'd use CrunchBang Linux and use terminal commands more often.
    We will have to agree to disagree then; because to me metro UI is not just 1 step backward, it's an entire journey backwards.

Porsche Design P'9982 square icons on Q10-aol-vs-win-8.png

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 01:08 AM
    We will have to agree to disagree then; because to me metro UI is not just 1 step backward, it's an entire journey backwards.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AOL-vs-Win-8.png 
Views:	1505 
Size:	326.6 KB 
ID:	235561

Posted via CB10
    Funny, but the design is completely different, philosophically. I agree, Metro UI is a mess in terms of organization. But a completely digital design is far more forward thinking than one that is skeumorphic. Microsoft didn't get it right, but it's the future. Clean, simple, geometric.

Go take a look at the great work of Saul Bass and come back again.
    01-03-14 12:36 PM
    Funny, but the design is completely different, philosophically. I agree, Metro UI is a mess in terms of organization. But a completely digital design is far more forward thinking than one that is skeumorphic. Microsoft didn't get it right, but it's the future. Clean, simple, geometric.

Go take a look at the great work of Saul Bass and come back again.
    Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder; and flat minimalistic solid colors is not my cup of tea. Out of all the little things they could have done to simplify the UI; making it flat, dull and lacking depth of field should not have been one of them. Flat minimal solid colors work great for a logo that Saul Bass might create, but that doesn't make it ideal for the UI of an OS.

We went from having a complex and rich UI, to being force fed a dumbed down flat dull & extreamly limited Metro UI and Metro Apps.

Windows 8 will ultimately fail to gain any real market share other than whatever the OEMs sell off with it pre-installed; and I think Windows XP has a strong change of keeping up maketsharewise against 8/8.1. I know that I and many others will stay with Windows 7 until the fiasco that is Metro finally dies in a fire (I'm really hoping that by MS next OS, they have realized to drop that tablet interface from a desktop computer).

Totally off topic, I'm done.

Posted via CB10
    deadcowboy likes this.
    01-03-14 12:57 PM
    6 posts later and still no valid response to my question :s

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 01:58 PM
    6 posts later and still no valid response to my question :s

Posted via CB10
    It's not coming. If it were, the only difference from porche and z10 is the storage space

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 03:15 PM
    It's not coming. If it were, the only difference from porche and z10 is the storage space

Posted via CB10
    I'm not asking if it's coming, my question is how can we get it. If we can load the Porsche Design clock on our Z10s, then there must be a way to get the squared off app backgrounds.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 09:41 PM
    Somebody - or a team of somebodys - would have to pull the files for the icons out of the 9982 OS like they did with the clock. It would be an order if magnitude more difficult and might not be possible at all. The clock is a stand-alone app. The icon shapes are part of the core OS, like fonts. I don't see anybody spending the time to try and accomplish this. Especially since BlackBerry would have their oregano team on you in a heartbeat for reverse engineering the operating system.
    01-03-14 10:45 PM
    I'm not asking if it's coming, my question is how can we get it. If we can load the Porsche Design clock on our Z10s, then there must be a way to get the squared off app backgrounds.

Posted via CB10
    That's just a back door trick that was made possible by BlackBerry. We would need access to an os provided by BlackBerry to make this possible.

Also, in the latest leak, we have to sideload the old clock .bar file to make this possible. This, in my understanding, means that BlackBerry is removing that little easter egg.

But any thing's possible

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 06:46 AM
    Again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder; and flat minimalistic solid colors is not my cup of tea. Out of all the little things they could have done to simplify the UI; making it flat, dull and lacking depth of field should not have been one of them. Flat minimal solid colors work great for a logo that Saul Bass might create, but that doesn't make it ideal for the UI of an OS.

We went from having a complex and rich UI, to being force fed a dumbed down flat dull & extreamly limited Metro UI and Metro Apps.

Windows 8 will ultimately fail to gain any real market share other than whatever the OEMs sell off with it pre-installed; and I think Windows XP has a strong change of keeping up maketsharewise against 8/8.1. I know that I and many others will stay with Windows 7 until the fiasco that is Metro finally dies in a fire (I'm really hoping that by MS next OS, they have realized to drop that tablet interface from a desktop computer).

Totally off topic, I'm done.

Posted via CB10
    I don't disagree with your sentiments concerning metro's usability, but you're behaving childishly.

Ps Saul Bass did more than logo design. Title sequences are a bit more dynamic and relevant. But I was just pointing out that flat, geometric graphic design is a classic style that dates back generations, and really to the beginnings of art itself--cave paintings, hyroglyphs, symbolism, etc...and more than just the primitive arts. Don't dismiss it just because it's the current flavour of the week.
    01-04-14 09:13 AM
    Is there any way we can get the square app icons from the Porsche Design P'9982 on the Q10? I find that being square matches the rest of the OS much better, making for a much more cohesive experience.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CrackBerry Image.jpg 
Views:	1014 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	228275

Posted via CB10
    How about you just change background wallpaper to black, you now have Ferrari icon set with no icon geometry.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 10:58 AM