04-18-13 12:19 PM
29 12
tools

Currently I use iPhone 5 and I am seriously debating on switching to Q10. After reviewing the technical specks, the Q10 has the iPhone 5 beat except the screen resolution. I am not an app person but I do need: whatsapp, bmo banking, shipping apps, instagram. I always had a BB but switched from the torch to the iPhone. I left BB due to feeling that it wasn't advanced enough, the Z10 and the Q10 look to me like they are where iphone is right about now BUT unsure as I never used either of them. Z10 interests me not as my main reason going to Q10 is the keyboard (i miss that the most, and that's really the only reason as why i want to go back to BB). I am looking for an advice if switching to Q10 would be an asset or a bust?! I will have to pay a full price for the Q10 as I am not due for an upgrade (will sell my iphone to recover some of the cost). Could you help me to make a good decision? Thanks for everyone's input and help
    04-16-13 02:46 PM
    There are some articles here on CB about the Z10 being better than iPhone 5. G**gle also.
    OS will be the same, so up to you to decide from there.
    Best I can say is I love my Z10 and so happy I dumped the Droid I had. Wouldn't use an iPhone if life depended on it so I may be partial.
    04-16-13 02:49 PM
    Since you're paying full price, keep your iPhone for a bit. If the micro SIM fits into the Q10 then swap between phones for a week, then sell whichever one you like least. Simple!
    04-16-13 02:55 PM
    Since you're paying full price, keep your iPhone for a bit. If the micro SIM fits into the Q10 then swap between phones for a week, then sell whichever one you like least. Simple!
    I am with BELL therefore I will have to switch my whole plan over, can't only swap between phones. They charge me $20 each time I swap. Thanks tho
    04-16-13 02:56 PM
    $20 is a small price to pay to decide which $600 phone is right for you!
    04-16-13 03:49 PM
    Q-10 will be the greatest device of all time. I promise well, for me it will.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    04-16-13 03:51 PM
    I had the iPhone 5 before I got my Z10. I don't miss the iPhone one bit. I have pretty much all the apps I used on my Iphone expect Viber which is coming to BlackBerry 10 soon. I love BlackBerry 10 os in general the swipe gestures hub, multitasking etc. I was thinking of waiting for the Q10 but couldn't wait.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 04:09 PM
    The Q10 looks great!
    04-16-13 04:22 PM
    ....After reviewing the technical specks, the Q10 has the iPhone 5 beat except the screen resolution. I am not an app person .....
    Q10 - 328 ppi
    iPhone 5 - 326 ppi

True - the screen is smaller - Q10 is 720x720 and iPhone 5 is 1136x640 - but they had to put the keyboard somewhere.

Plus - you are not an app person - Q10 for YOU!

I have an iPhone 4. I am considering the Q10. I have to see it in person, like I do with every phone I've ever owned. It's really all about the form factor and the BB10 experience. Plus, for me going from a 3.5 to a 3.1 screen is not a huge deal. But vids will come through with black bars on top and bottom on the Q10. It's a trade off IMO - do you want the keyboard, or do you value screen real estate more? That is the question.

And to you Z10 owners, I know, I already heard in about 1,009 posts here on CB that the virtual keyboard is amazing on the Z10. I'm very happy for you. It's not about that. It's about form factor.
    04-16-13 04:59 PM
    Good to hear from an iphone user that you like your Z10, makes it an easier switch. How did you transfer your contacts to your new berry from the iPhone?

I had the iPhone 5 before I got my Z10. I don't miss the iPhone one bit. I have pretty much all the apps I used on my Iphone expect Viber which is coming to BlackBerry 10 soon. I love BlackBerry 10 os in general the swipe gestures hub, multitasking etc. I was thinking of waiting for the Q10 but couldn't wait.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 05:01 PM
    Currently I use iPhone 5 and I am seriously debating on switching to Q10. After reviewing the technical specks, the Q10 has the iPhone 5 beat except the screen resolution. I am not an app person but I do need: whatsapp, bmo banking, shipping apps, instagram. I always had a BB but switched from the torch to the iPhone. I left BB due to feeling that it wasn't advanced enough, the Z10 and the Q10 look to me like they are where iphone is right about now BUT unsure as I never used either of them. Z10 interests me not as my main reason going to Q10 is the keyboard (i miss that the most, and that's really the only reason as why i want to go back to BB). I am looking for an advice if switching to Q10 would be an asset or a bust?! I will have to pay a full price for the Q10 as I am not due for an upgrade (will sell my iphone to recover some of the cost). Could you help me to make a good decision? Thanks for everyone's input and help
    "After reviewing technical specs" ... you see THAT is where you're going about this ALL wrong!

If you measure your choice in smartphones based heavily on specs ... choose Android. Its like choosing your girlfriend, wife, spouse based on specs 36D/DD-28-26/38, 5'7, Red-Head/Blonde/Brunette, FIRM body athletic, yet I want a booty (but not too small, nor not too big like a humpback whale; inside high-school joke here from Toronto), etc etc.

There is no thought about brains, interaction, wonderful smile, good teeth, no bad breath, witty, can hang with(!!), chill with the girls or the guys (not not too friendly cozy), etc etc etc.

You need to evaluate WHY you choose your current smartphone and WHAT you miss about your previous smartphone - beyond simply media, apps, and a keyboard.

What do you do in the morning with your smartphone?
    How do you use in your professional life with your smartphone?
    (regardless of being work managed or not; how does it aid/help you accomplish tasks/goals)
    How do you use your smartphone in personal life?
    (this is critical if you play guitar and use that iamp thing accessory or create beats/tracks on the fly - iSynth, etc I really want on BB10 but I have a Mac with Logic 9/Ableton/etc so I don't NEED it, nor do I miss it as much on week 1 as I do now)

You need to really evaluate what you use your smartphone for in a given week, better yet in the past month! How will it affect your social life - as in do you rely heavily on iMessage (SMS is still around for a reason and its mostly used beyond any other txt based communicae), Do you have bookmarks sync'd to your Mac using Safari & Safari Mobile? (export your bookmarks, email it to your BB10 device and well open the links to be bookmarked - time consuming I know but until BBLink has this its best option).

Do you use FaceTime heavily with family members and friends? Are you really going to miss it when you can't any longer? You can still phone them - after all you're speaking with them and most of the time you ALREADY know what they look like (unless a baby is born into the family; bonus marks using BBM Video to screenshare how to share photos and videos to someone else on the other end).

There is so much MORE to how we use our smartphones than just simple specs and applications - I'm thinking many of us are lost! Too much weight goes into applications yet we ALL forget how we lived without them in the first place; common Instagram; really?! I need a web service and an app to connect to it in order to show off my pictures to the entire world?! (maybe its a generation gap thing - I'm not that old but I see no point of sharing my pictures with the entire world, if I did that's what facebook is for!!)

whatsapp - native app for BB10,
    bmo banking - use the Browser (it has its security) and this is what you used on your PC/Mac/Linux machine anyway; don't rely on an app for something that is easily available, attainable, and readily usable.
    Shipping apps - like UPS, Canada Post, etc (haven't seen any yet but I'm sure they're coming down the pipe soon enough; again web is here yet its a bit annoying, just bookmark the tracking sites).
    Instagram - you already know my stance on this; use the web or wait for it.

Everyone ... there is a HUGE database that was maintained for a long time over at another forum site back when BB5/6/7 was king. I highly suggest taking a look for many of the web services we use and require apps for as an intermediate gap until BB10 apps arrive. I pray its still useful to many of us.
    Your Favorite Mobile Sites - BlackBerry Forums Support Community
    austriker, Spidey134 and BB1974 like this.
    04-16-13 05:24 PM
    I have been thinking about switching to the Q since October and I have ad an iPhone 5 since the second week of being released.
    04-16-13 06:25 PM
    I say do it. If you're using iPhone but don't need the apps, then what's the point in keeping it? It's certainly not the terrible keyboard.. I just switched from iPhone back to BB (to a Z10 because I couldn't wait for the Q10) and the iPhone is forever history.. For contacts I just used blackberry link to transfer the contacts in my mac's contacts app, which I had synced with my iPhone
    BB1974 likes this.
    04-16-13 06:31 PM
    flyersfan76 are you going to do the leap?
    I have been thinking about switching to the Q since October and I have ad an iPhone 5 since the second week of being released.
    04-16-13 06:45 PM
    Yeah I dumped android for the z10 bro totally worth it. Great freaking device, it needs tweaks of course being that it's a new OS and all, everything will be fixed with upcoming updates and apps, but they did a great job with the phone, I'm loving it, try one out for yourself.
    Oh and I forgot to mention, the keyboard is fantastic, super fast!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 06:51 PM
    I am going to try the Q10 after being on every generation of the iPhone since the 3G. The decision is a little easier for me because I won't miss anything with an iPad mini in my pocket. I use like 50 voice minutes/month so I am never on my phone. Since I got my LTE iPad mini I almost never take my phone out of my pocket. So...it is kind of just to try something fresh and new...to see how a different device incorporates LinkedIn and Evernote (the BBerry remember thing looks neat to me).
    Worst case scenario for me is I just use it for my 50 minutes a month of voice calls and use my iPad for everything else...or switch back to my iPhone and sell the Q10 to an American for a minimal loss.
    04-16-13 07:13 PM
    Q10 my man. Let the scourge begin, bb10 will rule the world. I'm actually using a Samsung Note II until the 30th, then getting the q10. Keyboard, can't beat it, all those gorgeous lines, that luxurious material. Can't forget the amazing new operating system. May the force be with you. Apple's going down hill, and I'll admit I'm glad to see it do so. You know what's got me really sold on the q10? How the keyboard has back lighting. Hate it or love.
    Shoryuken likes this.
    04-16-13 07:19 PM
    The choice will always be yours. I suggest upon release you buy the Q10, use it for 14-30 days, depending on your carrier. If it doesn't work for you the way you'd like, simply return it.

The best person to tell you which device would work best for you, is YOU.
    04-16-13 07:57 PM
    Moralcode that was awesome speech....thank you!!! I was just doing dishes and thought of what u were just saying. ....I should get my BB before everyone figures out BB is back and there will be none left ....hahaha
    moralcode and Shoryuken like this.
    04-16-13 08:15 PM
    I agree, you're on to something, something mysterious, something denied by the majority. That blackberry awesome! To be honest all my friends sneered and made fun of my a few months ago, and ragged on blackberry. Then my buddy got a z10, and all the ladies are all over him asking about it, then all my buddies are asking about it and are interested ins switching. It'll take a year or two, but at this rate were going to see blackberry as a majority soon, and the good news about that is, BBM shall rule the instant messaging arena once again. Except this time there's more to it, such a video calling etc. At this moment I'd like to say a few words to our old friend Microsoft.
    The year is 2015... "Microsoft, it was a good company, unfortunately it's mobile sector couldn't keep up, along with the collapse of android and apple, we are very fortunate to stand here, United and glorious with a blackberry majority reigning supreme over humanity."
    04-16-13 08:28 PM
    i ditched an ip5 for bb10...so worth it!
    moralcode and IgotsThis like this.
    04-16-13 08:47 PM
    I will admit I really MISS the red blinking light BEST silent notification system ever!
    sengaE0817 likes this.
    04-16-13 09:13 PM
    I will admit I really MISS the red blinking light BEST silent notification system ever!
    Just a kind FYI ... the Notification system is well a bit lacking ... I mean like early iOS/Android lacking vs its BBOS heyday. Most of us on current Z10 are seriously PRAYING that BB10 10.1 brings back a lot of the notification power we've been used to in previous/legacy devices.

Don't let that sway you though the rest of the OS is just pure elegant and powerful cake.

Please let us know what you decide, either way as it'll help healthy debate and probably help those of us pick at BlackBerry for future updates and devices via direct email. For me honestly it's out of pure curiosity however you choose. Good luck and if you choose the Q10 feel free to post threads on questions, or PM any of us in this thread or others for help ... considering BBM Video with Screen Share is available help will be VERY direct from point A to Point B; a really useful feature.
    04-16-13 10:46 PM
    Just a kind FYI ... the Notification system is well a bit lacking ... I mean like early iOS/Android lacking vs its BBOS heyday. Most of us on current Z10 are seriously PRAYING that BB10 10.1 brings back a lot of the notification power we've been used to in previous/legacy devices.

Don't let that sway you though the rest of the OS is just pure elegant and powerful cake.

Please let us know what you decide, either way as it'll help healthy debate and probably help those of us pick at BlackBerry for future updates and devices via direct email. For me honestly it's out of pure curiosity however you choose. Good luck and if you choose the Q10 feel free to post threads on questions, or PM any of us in this thread or others for help ... considering BBM Video with Screen Share is available help will be VERY direct from point A to Point B; a really useful feature.
    do you mind telling me what are the lacking notifications? also.....can you still customize the "fonts" "ring tones" and such?
    Before I posted this tread I really wanted the Q10 and after doing my homework and with everyones input on this thread I WILL be getting the Q10 (just signed up with BELL to pre order this friday the 19th). I will keep my iphone until I fully transfer over to my Q10 (no idea how to transfer my contacts over) and thinking of keeping it as i can use my apps over wi-fi if need be OR start using my not even year old mac book pro to it's full potential as i have not done to this day... not sure what i will do about imessage as i text with my kids over imessage on their ipod touches...our lives are super busy and i need to be as organized as best as possible and i have a feeling this phone will do just that...hoping more people will come back to BBM (currently my whatsapp is the BBM) and that app is nothing special lol ...but will keep using it on my Q10, Q10 has that app right? I read somewhere that instagram is coming to BB10, sure hope so! we always used Blackberries then i went to iphone and my bf to android and am hoping to reunite again so if this phone rocks my world i will get him one for his bday....
    FrancoisChevel likes this.
    04-16-13 11:14 PM
    do you mind telling me what are the lacking notifications? also.....can you still customize the "fonts" "ring tones" and such?
    Before I posted this tread I really wanted the Q10 and after doing my homework and with everyones input on this thread I WILL be getting the Q10 (just signed up with BELL to pre order this friday the 19th). I will keep my iphone until I fully transfer over to my Q10 (no idea how to transfer my contacts over) and thinking of keeping it as i can use my apps over wi-fi if need be OR start using my not even year old mac book pro to it's full potential as i have not done to this day... not sure what i will do about imessage as i text with my kids over imessage on their ipod touches...our lives are super busy and i need to be as organized as best as possible and i have a feeling this phone will do just that...hoping more people will come back to BBM (currently my whatsapp is the BBM) and that app is nothing special lol ...but will keep using it on my Q10, Q10 has that app right? I read somewhere that instagram is coming to BB10, sure hope so! we always used Blackberries then i went to iphone and my bf to android and am hoping to reunite again so if this phone rocks my world i will get him one for his bday....
    As a current iPhone 4 and Z10 user, I am planning on getting the Q10. But I have some gripes about BB10, which probably will get fixed soon, as a largely iPhone user. (Although I have these issues with BB10, but I am still moving to Q10, just because I understand change happens, but not immediately, and I can wait for that change.)

Notifications:
    I really miss the iPhone notifications, which show up on top of the screen. On the Z10, I hear it ring, and swipe a finger to check what it is. I, personally, like that in the iPhone all I need to do it move my eyes on top of the screen and know what it is. I also really like iPhones notification screen. But these issues are small and it's all about getting used to the new system.

iMessage:
    A big deal for me, 90% of my friends are on iMessage, but normal Text messages work fine too. I don't mind. For you, I guess you can get your kids .99 Whatsapp and get one for your BB10, that should do the trick.

Contacts:
    On my Z10, I have set up my iCloud contacts through cardDav. I hate it! BB10 has soooo many flaws when it comes to contacts, don't even get me started. You makes changes and suddenly the contact changes into a rabbit, running around, merging with other contacts, taking other info from another contact. It's a horrible mess. My solution: make changes in my contacts app on my Mac and BB syncs it fine. But, I never makes changes on the BB10, afraid to lose any data. So your best option is to go with what I am doing or simply add each contact by hand on the device itself, if those contacts are stored natively on the BB10, I think it should not be an issue editing them.

Good luck with your Q10. I wish we, in the US, were able to pre-order as well. I am dying to get one.
    04-16-13 11:58 PM
29 12