Hi guys,

Does anyone know why my PIM is eating up so much battery life according to device monitor. Over a 12 hr period it can get up as high as 30%. Its hard for me to go through a whole day on a single charge.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 09:57 AM
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know why my PIM is eating up so much battery life according to device monitor. Over a 12 hr period it can get up as high as 30%. Its hard for me to go through a whole day on a single charge.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    How many email accounts, social network accounts do you have set up? What are the refresh intervals as well? Tone refresh intervals down and you should save some battery.
    08-30-14 10:45 AM
    I found when I had my sync options set to frequent I would get high readings as well...sometimes as high as System and Screen, if not higher. Since I don't add contacts or calendar entries via the desktop or Web, I notice the same performance with less battery drain when I changed those two to manual - that is they will sync when you add an entry on your phone. I keep my emails at 5 mins - I have 2 accounts. Now my PIM is down to 2% or so.

Also, double check your settings for Facebook and Twitter if you have those installed.

emPowered by ?
    08-30-14 11:10 AM
    Put your screenshot of your device monitor. Of your PIM service.
    08-30-14 11:17 AM
    keeping an eye on this thread as well for some good tips....

* eight BlackBerrys and counting...
    08-30-14 06:25 PM
    I have about 6 emails set up with 3 I actively use. How do I change the sync interval?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 08:31 PM
    Settings -> Accounts then select the account and type you would like to change. Then scroll to the bottom to sync interval.

emPowered by ?
    08-30-14 10:21 PM
    The settings are set to push. Should I change it? What interval do u guys use?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 04:09 AM
    I'm ignored.. Then I can't give you advice. I was having the same problem earlier but I have to confirm my suspicion.
    08-31-14 05:23 AM
    Here's the screenshot

Edit: cb 10 app isn't letting me put it up.

Edit: had to allow shared files permissions.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 294954
    08-31-14 09:00 PM
    Make sure you've given the CB10 app permission to access your shared files.

Settings > Security and Privacy > Application Permissions

emPowered by ?
    08-31-14 09:08 PM
    I too have noticed huge battery usage from the day I synced contacts with outlook.com. Some of you have brought good points to disable social network contacts. Let me try this and report back battery drainage.
    08-31-14 09:13 PM
    I got it down to the 21% number since i've disabled my contacts sync with outlook. Its still pretty high tho in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-14 09:28 PM
    Hey.

Okay. I'm having this problem too. 44%?! That's not right.

PIM eating up too much battery-img_20140902_202641.png

PIM eating up too much battery-img_20140902_202650.png

So notice how there's a steeper drop in my battery charge around 16:00 onward. Now here's the thing-- I had been connected to my work Wi-Fi since noon (and am barely leaving). Here's another thing--my boss was out so I really wasn't getting much notifications. I was just doing my lab work. My BlackBerry was turned over the whole time with that power preserve feature turned on.

It has never been this bad. As a matter of fact, I get 16-18h or more on average with my BlackBerry Q10 with heavy use since I upgraded to this OS version (10.3.0.1052). Now this screenshot says I only get 16h on average. (it said 18 earlier).

PIM eating up too much battery-img_20140902_203536.png

There's something really ****ed up going on with this PIM services thing. I've had the same email accounts as before. I only have one set up as exchange right now (to reduce information overload lol) which is my work/university email. My personal accounts--both outlook.com--are set up to pull EVERY FOUR HOURS.

Wtf?! I think I'll need to downgrade to 10.2.1 or something.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 10:38 PM
    Guys, I think I figured it out. Reference the screenshots I had posted above.

Now check this out:

PIM eating up too much battery-img_20140902_204258.png

It's this app. Check out the hours. They line up well. And possibly other Android apps running in the background. I think they're taking information from our BB10 PIM. Or perhaps they have "Accounts" access now, which makes BB10 think they're part of PIM. Lastly, looking at Viber's permission, it could be it's In-App Billing too.

I've been noticing that the Amazon Appstore and the Kindle App are running continuously as well. I keep force closing these Android Apps right from the Android settings, because we can't seem to be able to force close on the Device Control menu on BB10, but they find their way back on in a few hours every day somehow.

Anyhow, I think this 10.3 build is letting Android do more than what it is supposed to. I'm uninstalling that Viber now, which btdubs I got from the Amazon Appstore. I'll let you folks know if I see any changes. If not, I think I'll uninstall all sideloaded apps and try to take out the Amazon stuff too.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-14 10:53 PM
    I know this thread is dead now but I just wanted to let you all know that my hunch was right. It was the Android apps running in the background being given too much access to accounts.

Since I uninstalled some suspect Android apps, I've had a dramatic increase in battery life. I did NOT change any of my push PIM accounts. Normal usage. I started work at 15:00 today. (hella lazy today haha)

PIM eating up too much battery-img_20140903_205740.png
    PIM eating up too much battery-img_20140903_205735.png

And notice how PIM Services now only used 0.09% of my battery within the last 12 hours.

PIM eating up too much battery-img_20140903_210112.png

BEWARE OF THOSE ANDROID APPS!!! At least until BlackBerry blocks them again on a future 10.3 build. Maybe this thread will help someone in the future, who knows?

Posted via CB10
    Taigatrommel and LeeU1911 like this.
    09-03-14 11:05 PM
    Hi,
    How did u get to this screen? what os and sr are you on?
    09-04-14 12:34 AM
    Hi,

Guys, I think I figured it out. Reference the screenshots I had posted above.

Now check this out:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140902_204258.png 
Views:	577 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	295392

It's this app. Check out the hours. They line up well. And possibly other Android apps running in the background. I think they're taking information from our BB10 PIM. Or perhaps they have "Accounts" access now, which makes BB10 think they're part of PIM. Lastly, looking at Viber's permission, it could be it's In-App Billing too.

I've been noticing that the Amazon Appstore and the Kindle App are running continuously as well. I keep force closing these Android Apps right from the Android settings, because we can't seem to be able to force close on the Device Control menu on BB10, but they find their way back on in a few hours every day somehow.

Anyhow, I think this 10.3 build is letting Android do more than what it is supposed to. I'm uninstalling that Viber now, which btdubs I got from the Amazon Appstore. I'll let you folks know if I see any changes. If not, I think I'll uninstall all sideloaded apps and try to take out the Amazon stuff too.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 12:35 AM
    Hi,
    10.3.0.1052. I did a destructive autoloader btdubs. You slide down and there should be an option for device control or something. my BlackBerry is in French and it is called contr�le du terminal.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 03:25 AM
    Hi,
    In English, it's called Device Monitor and it is in the Quick Settings menu.

Z-30 / STA100-5 / 10.3.0.1130+1154/ T-Mobile USA
    09-04-14 03:43 AM
    Note: If Push is on and it does indeed work (this depends on the concrete IMAP server) you should set the polling interval to "Manually". Otherwise your device does get Push notifications from the IMAP server AND does also poll him, which is nonsense, but this will surely drain your battery and your available data volume.
    09-04-14 03:48 AM
    Try to sideload new radio bar. It helped for me.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 04:13 AM
    Note: If Push is on and it does indeed work (this depends on the concrete IMAP server) you should set the polling interval to "Manually". Otherwise your device does get Push notifications from the IMAP server AND does also poll him, which is nonsense, but this will surely drain your battery and your available data volume.
    My push is on for my personal email accounts and work email. Two outlook.com (one Office365) and one Google Apps. All EAS. No pull mail like POP or the older IMAP protocol. I made no change whatsoever with my accounts, mostly because I didn't want to mess anything up haha. The evidence suggests that those accounts are actually NOT the problem. During one day, my PIM Services usage dropped from 44% to 0,1%. Actually I had more email, contact and calendar updates during the latter period than the former. I actually added new contacts from my desk! That is beyond statistical significance (if CI is 0,95 haha lmao).

The evidence points to the Android apps that run in the background and spontaneously turn on without an active frame running on the BB10 GUI, registered under Accounts. It tricks the device control app into thinking that such are PIM Services. Those accounts on the Android side allow their respective apps to turn on a data connection, run in-App billing services, and other battery and data intensive activities. By uninstalling Skype, Viber, etc., my battery life shot up and brought my average back to 20 hours/charge.

Also, you don't get to choose a polling interval when Push is on. It automatically says "manually" with the sliding option button greyed out.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    dmlis likes this.
    09-04-14 04:29 AM
    Try to sideload new radio bar. It helped for me.

Posted via CB10
    Try checking your Android Apps that are running in the background by entering the Android settings. Click on all apps listed and see if it's running (i.e., "force close" is not greyed out). Also, slide to the right until you find the apps running list. There you can see the duration at which an app is running. You might discover what I discovered. You'll even see the links they have in "Accounts" there. I highly doubt it is the radio bar file. Lastly, you might find how invasive the Amazon Appstore and other Amazon Android apps really are to the Android Runtime Environment on BB10.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    letrantrung and dmlis like this.
    09-04-14 04:34 AM
    The evidence points to the Android apps that run in the background and spontaneously turn on without an active frame running on the BB10 GUI, registered under Accounts. It tricks the device control app into thinking that such are PIM Services.
    This should be recognizable when all mail (and social) accounts in the Hub are completely off, perhaps over night. But I'm sceptic.
    Also, you don't get to choose a polling interval when Push is on. It automatically says "manually" with the sliding option button greyed out.
    No. My Z30 (10.2) allows to have Push on and a polling interval at the same time. Both self-contradictory options are available and I had indeed the fact that my data consumption decreased a lot when I manually turned off polling because Push works fine.
    09-04-14 05:05 AM
44 12