Is there a way to dial a number from the browser? I could have sworn I was able to do this in both Android and iOS but maybe I am mistaken? The best I seem to be able to do is to highlight the number and copy and paste it into the dialler. I can also highlight it and "share" it with a bunch of things, but not the phone app.
    06-10-13 07:51 PM
    I have dialed from the browser. Perhaps the number you were trying to dial was not formatted correctly and the browser did not recognize it as one. I ordered Indian food last night by dialing from the browser, so I know the feature is there.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 08:12 PM
    Cool thanks. I guess maybe the website has to be coded in a certain way for the OS to recognise it then... This is the number I was trying to dial:

Phoning from Browser-img_00000089.png

I wonder if there is some visual like underlining that shows it's a number you can call. I'll have to play around with it a bit.

I still could have sworn the other OSs just allowed you to dial any number if you highlighted it.
    06-10-13 08:19 PM
    Hmmm... I'm wondering if it's because the phone numbers I'm trying to call are not North American. I checked a pizza site and no go on there either. Checked the same site on iOS and it recognises it as a phone number. It also recognises the one I included the screen shot of up above.

Tried a couple of UK numbers too and they weren't recognised either.

Tried a Canadian pizza joint and it got that one.

Damn. That is annoying. Guess I'll wait and hope for a fix.
    06-10-13 08:30 PM
    Hmm ok so I tested this out a bit. The number I dialed was actually just on a Google search page under the listing for the restaurant. That worked fine. But when I actually clicked on the restaurant's Web page and tried to call from the number on that page, it did not work. Somehow, how Google displays the number allows you to call from the browser. So maybe it is a coding thing.

FYI when it works, you click the number and a pop up box appears titled 'call confirmation'. And asks if you would like to call the number you clicked. Simple 'cancel' and 'ok' options are underneath.

Posted via CB10
    minigrrl likes this.
    06-10-13 08:41 PM
    Forget about phone number recognition in browser. To my knowledge, Android and Apple are suing each other over that. And BlackBerry don't want to get into that mess... so unless the website is coded properly to indicate that it's a phone number, you'll have to copy and past the number into the dial pad.

Posted via CB10
    minigrrl likes this.
    06-10-13 08:58 PM
    Forget about phone number recognition in browser. To my knowledge, Android and Apple are suing each other over that. And BlackBerry don't want to get into that mess... so unless the website is coded properly to indicate that it's a phone number, you'll have to copy and past the number into the dial pad.

Posted via CB10
    Interesting. And completely insane!! Thanks for the info... :-)
    06-10-13 09:41 PM
    Interesting. And completely insane!! Thanks for the info... :-)
    Btw... I can't find it anymore but there was a way to call from the browser. it's not as fast as tapping the number but it's easier than copying and pasting into the dial pad: copy the number, and paste it in the browser address bar with a function in front. Again I can't find it anymore

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 10:34 PM