For those of you who are paranoid someone is watching you via the cameras, either on your laptop, tablet or your Q10, what is your solution?

For laptops most put an ugly sticker right on it (often a non-matching color). I've also seen people paint it in with some thick hobby paint (color matched).

For those of you that actually did something to the front camera, what is your solution?
    07-13-13 10:40 PM
    What is the world coming to lol

Posted via CB10
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    07-13-13 10:43 PM
    Tin foil of course
    howarmat, PJD642, Ben1232 and 1 others like this.
    07-13-13 10:51 PM
    Dont tell me you guys never purposely (perhaps subconsciously) placed the older phones with single cameras down on a table in such a configuration where the camera is fully covered 'just in case'. Except now phones come with cameras front and back lol... cant hide.

Ive seen people do this on their iphone. Come on I'm sure someone is doing it for the Q10?

They do sell cases where you can block the back camera. Except, now all phones and ipod touches have front cameras too. Thats probably the more important one to block if youre into it.
    07-13-13 10:58 PM
    Dont tell me you guys never purposely (perhaps subconsciously) placed the older phones with single cameras down on a table in such a configuration where the camera is fully covered 'just in case'
    Nope.. not even once.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 11:26 PM
    You don't want to be texting a girl when your taking a crap and accidently (through cosmic forces at work) send her a pic of you in the crapper

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 11:41 PM
    A duck is watching us.... somewhere.

This signature was swiped up from the Z10's sexy keyboard.
    07-14-13 12:02 AM
    Thanks! Let's give the OCD person something else to twitch about...it's bad enough my conversions are probably being monitored, my every search filed neatly away...

Posted via CB10
    07-14-13 01:58 AM
    Snowden would know.
    07-14-13 04:38 AM
    What about the Mic op.

In news here (UK) recently there was a man who got charged with perving on women via their laptop cameras. Somehow he had put a program on their laptops without them knowing and watched them watching movies in the bath etc.

Posted via my CB Q10
    07-15-13 09:18 AM
    lol you guys talk as if Im looking for a solution myself. I myself dont cover the cameras lol. But I've seen plenty that use anything from normal 3M tape, postids, to some professional sticker thing on their laptops. I dont think I've seen anyone try anything on phone cameras yet. Although I have seen cases for the phones where you can cover the camera port if you wanted for those back cameras. Times have changed since then and most phones and front and back cameras LOL.

If I was worried, I'd cover the front camera only. Back camera I dont really care about. Its looking at others when Im using anyway LOL.
    07-15-13 10:31 AM
    What about the Mic op.

In news here (UK) recently there was a man who got charged with perving on women via their laptop cameras. Somehow he had put a program on their laptops without them knowing and watched them watching movies in the bath etc.

Posted via my CB Q10
    There are plenty of cases like that. I think here there was a case of a laptop given by the school adn the teacher was basically stalking or something. Not sure how the case went.

As for the mic... thats well known. Its no surprise that smart phones can be tapped into with backdoors built in by the authorities. They can listen to your mic, access your email,access your calender. This is an understood reality. That said, there is a difference between them doing it with a legal warrent and some creep doing it.
    07-15-13 10:33 AM
    For those of you who are paranoid someone is watching you via the cameras, either on your laptop, tablet or your Q10, what is your solution?

For laptops most put an ugly sticker right on it (often a non-matching color). I've also seen people paint it in with some thick hobby paint (color matched).

For those of you that actually did something to the front camera, what is your solution?
    I just smile a lot, and don't talk about politics, religion or my boss
    07-15-13 12:21 PM
    OMG! Really!? An emphatical NO!?

Posted via CB10
    07-15-13 12:25 PM
    Too much tinfoil. Plain and simple.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-15-13 12:30 PM
    I have a post-it over the camera on my personal laptop, and my work laptop. I hear a lot of the engineers at work talk about using electrical tape on their work laptops, since we have no way of really knowing what IT has running w/o our knowlede. I've tried putting a post-it on my *cough*iPad*cough* but the surface is too slick, so I just hold it so that my hand covers the front and back cameras. The front facing camera on my Q10 is also too slick....

It's actually not too tin-foil of a thing to do, since there have been several accounts in the news about people's laptop cameras being activated remotely without them knowing, usually by spyware / virus software -- but not always. I heard of one account of a middle or high school that was issuing laptops to the kids, and had the ability to enable the camera remotely "in case of theft" -- except that some of them were being enabled remotely even though they were not stolen. "Oddly enough"... it was only the teenage girls who had their cameras remotely activated without their knowledge.

And with the way kids these days download things willy-nilly and not thinking about spyware... if you have a daughter, you may want to rethink your stance about the tinfoil -- or in this case the electrical tape over the camera... :-)
    07-16-13 12:15 AM
    Ehhh... what? Oh, paranoid! Riiiiiight...

Posted via CB10
    07-16-13 12:27 AM
    I have a post-it over the camera on my personal laptop, and my work laptop. I hear a lot of the engineers at work talk about using electrical tape on their work laptops, since we have no way of really knowing what IT has running w/o our knowlede. I've tried putting a post-it on my *cough*iPad*cough* but the surface is too slick, so I just hold it so that my hand covers the front and back cameras. The front facing camera on my Q10 is also too slick....

It's actually not too tin-foil of a thing to do, since there have been several accounts in the news about people's laptop cameras being activated remotely without them knowing, usually by spyware / virus software -- but not always. I heard of one account of a middle or high school that was issuing laptops to the kids, and had the ability to enable the camera remotely "in case of theft" -- except that some of them were being enabled remotely even though they were not stolen. "Oddly enough"... it was only the teenage girls who had their cameras remotely activated without their knowledge.

And with the way kids these days download things willy-nilly and not thinking about spyware... if you have a daughter, you may want to rethink your stance about the tinfoil -- or in this case the electrical tape over the camera... :-)
    Yeah I personally dont think its so tinfoil to do that. I know a lot of people who cover their laptop cameras. Seems ppl on this forum are overreacting to the other side. All acting too 'cool headed' lol.

I know some people who dont care about privacy and scoff at those who take it seriously. I also find they are also the most likely ones to use and upload everything about themselves on facebook.

But yea there was a case where the school lent out laptops to the students, and apparently some teacher turned the camera on and basically stalked the student or something. However, its also well known smart phones can be tapped into at will by the authorities using backdoors. Who needs a bug in your room when you have a smart phone? You also dont need a camera for surveillance cause now those same smart phones have plenty lol.
    07-16-13 12:46 AM
    Dont tell me you guys never purposely (perhaps subconsciously) placed the older phones with single cameras down on a table in such a configuration where the camera is fully covered 'just in case'. Except now phones come with cameras front and back lol... cant hide.

Ive seen people do this on their iphone. Come on I'm sure someone is doing it for the Q10?

They do sell cases where you can block the back camera. Except, now all phones and ipod touches have front cameras too. Thats probably the more important one to block if youre into it.
    Damn are you ever in trouble. Now that you told the world you do that and it's not a broken camera they'll come for you.
    07-16-13 01:45 AM
    You don't want to be texting a girl when your taking a crap and accidently (through cosmic forces at work) send her a pic of you in the crapper

Posted via CB10
    With how buggy OS10 has been these days it may just happen all on its own.
    07-16-13 11:22 AM
    Let's make something clear. Privacy does not exist. If the government wants to know something they get answers. They don't need your cell phones. For example, in the U.S. there is 1 camera for every 10 people. That said, nobody is watching you unless you give them a reason too. With respect to a phone hacker turning on your camera, your carrier would know immediately because of the unusual signal.

Verizon BlackBerry Q10
    07-16-13 01:45 PM
    Let's make something clear. Privacy does not exist. If the government wants to know something they get answers. They don't need your cell phones. For example, in the U.S. there is 1 camera for every 10 people.
    Well there is "privacy", and there is "privacy from the government". The latter is a lost cause. But the former, not completely lost yet -- and much more within your own control.

There is a much smaller likelihood of The Government using your cellphone or, more likely, your laptop camera to take compromising photos and video of you and/or your spouse and/or your children, than there is of some pervo creeper writing virusware to do said same task specifically so he can get his rocks off, or use it for blackmail, or sell it to some less than reputable website....

Ain't technology grand!?

Now, if you always wear clothes around the house, never take your phone or tablet into the bathroom, always put said devices into a drawer (or leave them in another room) at bedtime and/or when you're about to get it on with yourself or another person, don't have children who you allow to use cellphones, tablets, or computers with webcams, and don't have a teenage daughter with a laptop on her desk facing her bed or bathroom -- then you have nothing to worry about!

But if there have been reported incidents of these kinds of things actually happening, it's not "paranoid". Perhaps you could characterize it as "overly protective", but "paranoid" is a little self-centered and dismissive of you just because you might not share similar levels of concern.

Or to put it another way -- just because YOU (generic "you") wouldn't be embarrassed by a secretly recorded video of you making sweet sweet love to yourself showing up on YouTube, doesn't mean other men would be as proudly exhibitionistic as you are! LOL Just sayin'.

That said, nobody is watching you unless you give them a reason too.
    Sickos don't need what the rest of us reasonable people would consider "a valid reason". That's why they are sickos.

(If I had a teenage daughter, I'd probably physically disassemble all her electronics and remove the camera and microphone myself -- in addition to sleeping on the couch with a shotgun. Fortunately I don't, so I have a lot less to be concerned about than other people might feel they need to be, and I can instead just sit back and play armchair devil's advocate on CB for fun during my lunchbreak instead... )

With respect to a phone hacker turning on your camera, your carrier would know immediately because of the unusual signal.
    And your carrier would so totally call you immediately to say "Quick! Put your pants back on! Someone has remotely activated your camera!" LOL.

Long rant made short: Too many judgmental people on CB claiming that because something (anything!) isn't an issue for them -- then it's not a valid concern or problem for others to have. Arrogant much?
    07-16-13 03:25 PM
    With respect to a phone hacker turning on your camera, your carrier would know immediately because of the unusual signal.

Verizon BlackBerry Q10
    You cant be serious right? This assertion is more absurd than stuff thrown out by tinfoil hat wearing ppl.
    neefer likes this.
    07-16-13 11:37 PM
    Too many judgmental people on CB claiming that because something (anything!) isn't an issue for them -- then it's not a valid concern or problem for others to have. Arrogant much?
    I know people like that. For example, some people find no problem at all with uploading everything about themselves, pictures, videos etc on facebook. Or surfing the web and visiting questionable sites with activeX or flash components. Dont delete cookies and flash LSOs, etc. They think they are more 'level headed' and more worry free.

I dont judge. I also dont use their laptops to check my mail.
    neefer likes this.
    07-16-13 11:46 PM
    Let's make something clear. Privacy does not exist. If the government wants to know something they get answers. They don't need your cell phones. For example, in the U.S. there is 1 camera for every 10 people. That said, nobody is watching you unless you give them a reason too ...
    Nobody is watching me even if I give him reason to ... when I cover my laptop camera.

(Did I remember to say, "F@ck the government"?)
    07-17-13 12:01 AM
35 12