01-23-14 03:59 PM
64 123
tools
    Ok, I want to address this issue that I keep seeing people say about the Q10 versus BBOS7. There seems to be a meme that has taken hold that the only similarity between BBOS and BB10 is the name.

Let's be empirical about this. Here are a list of BBOS features that are also found on the Q10. Some of these are also found on iOS and Android devices, but the ones on this list were on BlackBerry first. I've put a + next to items that were improved on BB10 and a - next to those that were diminished:

Qwerty keyboard
    +Unified inbox
    +BBM
    -Shortcut keys
    +Nighttime mode
    -Sound profiles
    +Voice dialing
    Notification LED
    +BES/central device management
    Magnetized holster for auto off/on
    Best-in-class security
    Universal search
    Remote search (EAS email)
    Remote search (Exchange Global Address Book)
    Infrastructure connection indicator
    Scheduling assistant (EAS)
    Download (web) both supported and unsupported file types.
    Save (email) both supported and unsupported file types.
    -Email flags, folder support
    -Blackberry Bridge
    Voice notes
    Autotext

I'm sure I've missed some, but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head, and that's with OS10.1.

Here are what I'm aware of as BBOS features that are not available on BB10:

Record phone calls
    Move messages from "sent" to a different email folder
    Reassignable side-function key
    Trackpad/trackball
    Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot
    BIS to push POP email
    Multiple alarms
    Setting a due time (not just date) on tasks

As with the first list, I'm sure I missed some. I was never a BBOS power user, but I was a fairly typical user, so my guess is I hit the high points.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry likes this.
    10-25-13 03:10 PM
    Good points. Still I think I only said that once because it drives home the fact that moving from BBOS to BB10 is not as easy as it would seem given they are from the same company. Your points do make it clear that both are still from the same BlackBerry DNA and I can go from one to the other now and identify each as a BlackBerry because of said points.
    10-25-13 03:13 PM
    Nighttime mode should be a (-), because BBOS' bedside mode has more features. Then again, BB10's clock has a great world clock feature, so maybe it's a wash ...

BBOS has Auto On/Off -- missing on BB10.

BB10 is missing the native green LED network coverage indicator enjoyed on BBOS.
    riyanast likes this.
    10-25-13 03:25 PM
    Multiple alarms are on 10.2
    Remember App in 10.2 allows task to have due date and time and integrates with Calendar
    You can move any email (or text, document, website, photo, etc etc etc) around using Remember
    Reboot has just moved to the top button (press and hold)
    More shortcuts are being found every day. (See new thread on this)

Universal search has also been improved and evolved into direct action...just type and go with Twitter, SMS, etc direct from the Homescreen without ever going to the app.

Here are what I'm aware of as BBOS features that are not available on BB10:

Record phone calls
    Move messages from "sent" to a different email folder
    Reassignable side-function key
    Trackpad/trackball
    Ctrl+Alt+Del to reboot
    BIS to push POP email
    Multiple alarms
    Setting a due time (not just date) on tasks

As with the first list, I'm sure I missed some. I was never a BBOS power user, but I was a fairly typical user, so my guess is I hit the high points.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 03:42 PM
    Speed dial from home screen
    Ability hide apps (not delete)
    Allow apps to control UI
    Instant loading of messages on read or compose
    Formatting html email in reader mode so you don't need to scroll back and forth
    Plain text email sending
    Automatically select correct email account based on how you emailed the contact last
    Hangup call from anywhere (hardware key)
    One touch phone app (hardware key)
    Alt-u to mark read or unread for a message without having to open
    F to forward without having to open the message
    Same as above for reply all using L
    Same as above for reply using R
    Compose email puts the cursor into the "to:" field -In bb10 is goes to the account field, so hitting enter does nothing
    OTA installs of apps
    Copy a contact phone number WITHOUT having to edit it so you can select the text

These are just off the top of my head. I'll see if I can come up with more.

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 10:00 PM
    API for apps like quicklaunch or shortcutme to work from the home screen

Keep ALL email on the device through BIS. Even if removed from server, stays on device.

Download full messages to device, instead of having to open the message to have it download the contents

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 10:03 PM
    - use bbm for a text messaging contact
    - ALT-R-S-T to reset application list in appworld

Posted via CB10
    10-25-13 10:04 PM
    - use bbm for a text messaging contact
    I don't know what this means.

- ALT-R-S-T to reset application list in appworld
    Um, yeah. This got easier. Tap refresh.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 12:08 AM
    F to forward without having to open the message
    Same as above for reply all using L
    Same as above for reply using R
    These still work, even without opening the message.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 12:34 AM
    These still work, even without opening the message.

Posted via CB10
    How? If you can't select the message?

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 05:47 AM
    How? If you can't select the message?

Posted via CB10
    Tap and hold.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 06:06 PM
    Just opinions in the end.

You're missing the charging cradle points for dock charging.

On the rest:

Qwerty keyboard - I prefer the curved keyboards to the straight one
    +Unified inbox - I'd say this is a definite step backwards in BB10, BB7 allows multiple inboxes to be open so you can look in multiple emails, the hub allows you to have one text/email from one account only open at a time. It also takes ages after boot to load up. It's awful compared to the functionality in BB7.
    +BBM - Way more reliable on legacy according to most people, 10.1 didn't have group picture notifications, I've never had messages and pictures not send before, on BB10 it happens too often.
    -Shortcut keys
    +Nighttime mode - Way worse in every way on BB10
    -Sound profiles
    +Voice dialing
    Notification LED - 7 colors only in most apps in BB10, should be a big minus
    +BES/central device management
    Magnetized holster for auto off/on - Holster profiles sorely missed, very dumbed down in BB10
    Best-in-class security - Arguable, with all the sideloading
    Universal search - Very very slow to offer option to google typed words unlike in legacy, big minus
    Remote search (EAS email)
    Remote search (Exchange Global Address Book)
    Infrastructure connection indicator
    Scheduling assistant (EAS)
    Download (web) both supported and unsupported file types.
    Save (email) both supported and unsupported file types.
    -Email flags, folder support
    -Blackberry Bridge
    Voice notes
    Autotext

I can see why people say they're similar in name only, I'm almost in the same camp.
    But the keyboard and type and go action thing keep me here, and the camera is much improved in BB10 from previous BlackBerries.
    10-26-13 06:37 PM
    Yes, charging dock. That saves my USB port at least 365 uses per year, not to mention the reduced likelihood of damage to the USB port when reaching for the phone in the dark, half asleep to check something or when turning off the alarm. Plus, I love the upright, dimmed clock beside my bed.
    bobauckland and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    10-26-13 06:44 PM
    Tap and hold.

Posted via CB10
    At that point it's faster to just open the message than tap and hold. What's missing is a quick way to high a message and issue the keyboard commands.

I understand the Trackpad is gone, but at least provide a comparable replacement.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 07:23 PM
    The Q10 is the "UnBlackberry."

Many of the functions that do exist are just worse and slower:

- Adding a contact takes two steps.
    - Character recognition for contacts takes much longer.- No convenience keys
    - Delay when you push C, R, or F from an email or text before you can actually start typing in the email box.
    - Need to press "Cancel" to delete previous Contact Search info from Contact Search before typing in new contact name.
    - No side convenience keys.
    - Many apps that were developed for BB7 never will be updated to work w BB10, such as YELP.
    - No end call button.
    - No menu button.
    - Efficient data consumption.
    - Q to vibrate.
    - Boot time (longer on BB10 due to lengthy "Preparing Blackberry Hub" process)

Those are some, off the top of my head.
    10-26-13 09:09 PM
    I would say the Q10 is easily the best BlackBerry ever. That's my opinion. I find it comical than anyone describes it as slower than BBOS. It boots much faster, hub included...you don't have to do battery pulls ever day. Copy and paste and text editing in 10.2 makes the trackpad feel like ancient history. Predictive text is very handy. No more spining and waiting everytime you try to launch anything.

The Remember app is the very essence of getting work done on a BlackBerry. With integrated, native Evernote.

There are plenty of productivity apps for those that actually use the phone for business. And a ton more on the way.

Call quality is better.

GPS is free and amazing.

BBOS is not bad, but it took forever to get it to where it was decent (9900, etc). 10.2 already blows it away, if you take the time to actually learn how to use it.

I can't wait to see what is next as the OS grows. There are still a few shortcuts I'd like to see but I think they are coming down the road.

There is a learning curve and some people won't take the time and they will be frustrated. But like BBOS, BB10 will get better and people will continue to discover hidden gems.

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    10-26-13 10:13 PM
    At that point it's faster to just open the message than tap and hold. What's missing is a quick way to high a message and issue the keyboard commands.

I understand the Trackpad is gone, but at least provide a comparable replacement.

Posted via CB10
    My original point was that there is a long list of features that make a BlackBerry a BlackBerry, which have, in fact, migrated to BB10, and only a short list that did not.

Now your arguing that you don't like the particular way in which some of those features migrated. You are entitled to feel that way, but that doesn't change the fact that we are discussing uniquely BlackBerry features that are still uniquely found on BlackBerry phones. Why aren't you on Apple forums complaining about the inability to forward or reply to a message, without opening it, by just hitting a keyboard key? Oh. Right.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 10:30 PM
    I would say the Q10 is easily the best BlackBerry ever. That's my opinion. I find it comical than anyone describes it as slower than BBOS. It boots much faster, hub included...you don't have to do battery pulls ever day. Copy and paste and text editing in 10.2 makes the trackpad feel like ancient history. Predictive text is very handy. No more spining and waiting everytime you try to launch anything.

The Remember app is the very essence of getting work done on a BlackBerry. With integrated, native Evernote.

There are plenty of productivity apps for those that actually use the phone for business. And a ton more on the way.

Call quality is better.

GPS is free and amazing.

BBOS is not bad, but it took forever to get it to where it was decent (9900, etc). 10.2 already blows it away, if you take the time to actually learn how to use it.

I can't wait to see what is next as the OS grows. There are still a few shortcuts I'd like to see but I think they are coming down the road.

There is a learning curve and some people won't take the time and they will be frustrated. But like BBOS, BB10 will get better and people will continue to discover hidden gems.

Posted via CB10
    This thread and these posts have nothing to do with learning curve issues. Just with pluses and misses and of BB7 on the Bold series vs BB10 on the Q10.

In many ways The Q10 is a step backwards. While some new functions are a step forwards, like social media integration, many of us don't care about many of these newfangled elements and otherwise, many of the "improvements" (like faster browsing) would have come in any new release of a next generation device after two years, and were to be expected.

No way is boot as quick. Time to boot is easily close to 3 mins, including hub about half or more. That's a fact. 9900 was 2 mins or less.

Memo pad better/quicker/easier than Remember. And while we're on Remember, a big issue is the inability to transition everything from ur BB7 device to ur BB10. Totally inexplicable and inexcusable. We're not going from two different companies here: migrating from ur BB7 device to ur BB10 device should have been a walk in the park and a stating point. Not an afterthought and a loss of data and functionality. Of course, when u add in loss of contact use and loss of contacts, it's a huge issue.

Call quality is worse for me, but I don't think that's universal. Predictive text is defacto irrelevant and arguably takes more time to use, but more importantly, is probably to explain for all the random capitalizations that occur. If not, the random capitalizations are a big faux pas on a device that's designed for hard core emailers.

The fact that so many functions actually take longer to do (more steps, plus responsiveness delay) is a big deal.

Also, we are comparing a 2013 device to a 2011 device. The more appropriate comparison should be what the Q10 is to what a next generation Bold could have been with 2 years and $100+ million of R&D. I'm not talking about whether that next generation device should have been BB7 or a new OS, but the functionality of the hardware and software.

Sometimes, you gotta ask the right questions.
    10-26-13 10:39 PM
    My original point was that there is a long list of features that make a BlackBerry a BlackBerry, which have, in fact, migrated to BB10, and only a short list that did not.

Now your arguing that you don't like the particular way in which some of those features migrated. You are entitled to feel that way, but that doesn't change the fact that we are discussing uniquely BlackBerry features that are still uniquely found on BlackBerry phones. Why aren't you on Apple forums complaining about the inability to forward or reply to a message, without opening it, by just hitting a keyboard key? Oh. Right.

Posted via CB10
    Who expected Blackberry to go backwards and exclude so many core components?

Who expected (or wanted) and UnBlackerry?

Obviously not many, as demonstrated by such weak sales from both the BBY camp and others.
    10-26-13 10:53 PM
    Subscribed for good points here

Sent from my zipaligned and deodexed own custom ROM on HTC One X
    10-26-13 10:58 PM
    I just bought a 9900 two days ago to move back to it. After giving the q10 a try for almost 4 months now.

I'll be putting together a comparison video of where the q10 is inferior, this thread is very helpful for that. Hopefully in a month I'll have a decent segment showing all the shortcomings of the q10 against the 9900.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 11:21 PM
    Lol good luck with that. Try getting predictive text or the Remember app on the 9900. I have a 9930. It's impossible.

And please be sure to include what you think are the future features that BBOS will be adding. Oh wait.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 11:29 PM
    Lol good luck with that. Try getting predictive text or the Remember app on the 9900. I have a 9930. It's impossible.

And please be sure to include what you think are the future features that BBOS will be adding. Oh wait.

Posted via CB10
    I'll show how remember can't sync my full evernote account, but the 9900 can, if that makes a difference.

And the point is to show what bb10 needs to fix. We know bbos is dead, it's a 3 year old os. Thats why it's so disappointing, as a blackberry fan, that the new os is behind the old one in so many areas.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 11:33 PM
    I just bought a 9900 two days ago to move back to it. After giving the q10 a try for almost 4 months now.

I'll be putting together a comparison video of where the q10 is inferior, this thread is very helpful for that. Hopefully in a month I'll have a decent segment showing all the shortcomings of the q10 against the 9900.

Posted via CB10
    That will be very helpful. Please let us know.

It should have been so simple to develop a next generation Bold, even on a new OS, if BBY hadn't attempted a Hail Mary and tried to outdo Apple at the iPhone and Samsung at the Galaxy and failed so miserably.

By simple, I don't mean something I could do...I mean "simple" for a company so far down the learning curve with $2.5 billion in cash and 2 years in R&D.

It should have been a lay up...at least for the A Team.
    10-26-13 11:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    I may be in the minority, but I never used predictive text when I have a physical KB...it's slower imho.

This is a great thread, and I agree with all of your points. The list goes on and on, and it's nice to see I'm not crazy for thinking I'm the only one who is doing something so quickly, that I get upset at the lag in hitting "r" or "f" to reply to or forward a message. I won't even get into the constant and inconsistent delivery of email on my exchange and gmail accounts, both of which should be push.

And I'm not sure if it was covered, but the ability to remote search gmail is non existent in the official 10.1 that I'm running. And when I do remote searches on exchange, it only goes back 90 days.

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    10-26-13 11:39 PM
64 123