View Poll Results: Which best describes your Q10 situation, in terms of time owned and problems experienced.

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 3 months, double-typing

15 12.82%
  • Less than 3 months, other keyboard problem

4 3.42%
  • More than 3 months, double-typing

41 35.04%
  • More than 3 months, other keyboard problem

7 5.98%
  • Less than 3 months, no keyboard problems

17 14.53%
  • More than 3 months, no keyboard problems

39 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Read a post from a hardware developer that said that it was actually a software problem with something referred to as a "debounce" (think that was the term) and it was not uncommon. Hopefully he is correct and the problem will be addressed by BB soon.
    Actually, what he said in this post (http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post10331570) was...

I experience some double-typing on the i and o keys. As a firmware/hardware developer, I would guess that the issue begins with the hardware, but is also related to how the firmware/software processes the keypress.
    He went on to explain that as the hardware wears in, the software "debounce" process is too fast, so a "microbounce" is registered as a new keystroke. If so, the problem may be able to be fixed by a firmware change. I have some questions about that to ask him after I finish here. But we can at least hope that a software fix is possible.
    go1ndr likes this.
    05-08-14 07:08 PM
    Got the phone right around New Year's Day. No problem at all. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Niente.

Chuffed to bits.
    You forgot "Rien!"
    Ragbert likes this.
    05-08-14 07:09 PM
    You forgot "Rien!"
    Quickly looks up "rien"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    05-09-14 07:43 AM
    Problem started at about 4 months in, but I passed it off initially as bad typing. It got progressively worse after the 5 month mark. Brick / OS reload didn't fix it the issue. Reverting to older OSes didn't resolve it either.

Finally, a keyboard replacement resolved the issue, suggesting strongly mine was purely hardware (faulty keyboard) related.
    ubizmo likes this.
    05-09-14 08:00 AM
    Actually, what he said in this post (http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...l#post10331570) was...

He went on to explain that as the hardware wears in, the software "debounce" process is too fast, so a "microbounce" is registered as a new keystroke. If so, the problem may be able to be fixed by a firmware change. I have some questions about that to ask him after I finish here. But we can at least hope that a software fix is possible.
    Thanks for the correction of my post. Couldn't remember if I read it on another post or if it was in one of my groups, etc. I'm with you, hoping that it is a software fix and they will indeed fix it.
    05-09-14 02:57 PM
    Problem started at about 4 months in, but I passed it off initially as bad typing. It got progressively worse after the 5 month mark. Brick / OS reload didn't fix it the issue. Reverting to older OSes didn't resolve it either.

Finally, a keyboard replacement resolved the issue, suggesting strongly mine was purely hardware (faulty keyboard) related.
    Good luck with the new keyboard and I hope that you don't experience any more issues.
    anon(8080272) likes this.
    05-09-14 02:58 PM
    I had it. 4 times

Via my Z30&Q10
    05-10-14 05:47 AM
    78 votes cast, and the result is holding at roughly 50/50 on keyboard problems of some sort, with double-typing being by far the dominant problem.

Seems to me there must be at least a few hundred Q10 owners on CB to vote on this. As it stands, though, if these numbers are even remotely representative of what's going on in the real world, it's a big problem for BlackBerry.
    05-12-14 06:54 AM
    Owned a Q10 for 6 months. Initially started with space bar and period appear even with single press. Now with a and s appearing with double typing. A major issue with no solution other than us sending for keyboard replacement which many has done and end up doing it till warranty expires. This just shows, at present no solution to this problem. Stay away from it or get a Z! Have just put mine in for warranty claim and waiting for them to call for device collection. BlackBerry do something bout it to shows that you still have the greatness which we all experienced with BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 07:01 AM
    I think probably a poll like this won't attract many Q10 owners who have no keyboard issues. The only reason I voted was be cause I was already following your Q10 saga anyway. But most people with no complaints probably wouldn't be looking for keyboard-related discussions.

To be honest, I am surprised that more people with faulty keyboards didn't chime in, considering the number of threads and posts on CB which mention the double-typing. Maybe they feel like they've already had their say. ::shrug::

78 votes cast, and the result is holding at roughly 50/50 on keyboard problems of some sort, with double-typing being by far the dominant problem.

Seems to me there must be at least a few hundred Q10 owners on CB to vote on this. As it stands, though, if these numbers are even remotely representative of what's going on in the real world, it's a big problem for BlackBerry.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    05-12-14 07:52 AM
    I think probably a poll like this won't attract many Q10 owners who have no keyboard issues. The only reason I voted was be cause I was already following your Q10 saga anyway. But most people with no complaints probably wouldn't be looking for keyboard-related discussions.
    Even so, I've spammed a number of other threads with links to this poll.

I think the people who have problems are likely to chime in on any and all discussions relevent to the problem, to air their frustration. I know that when I had this issue with the 9780 I posted in a number of threads about it. The 9780 was, at the time, the "flagship" BlackBerry Bold, and it was maddening to have this problem. It was even more maddening to get a warranty replacement and have the same problem appear as soon as it was activated.
    05-12-14 09:28 AM
    Interesting, I didn't realize the double-typing issue existed on BlackBerry phones before the Q10. I wonder if Android phones like the Droids had it too, or if it's exclusive to BlackBerry.

I think the people who have problems are likely to chime in on any and all discussions relevent to the problem, to air their frustration. I know that when I had this issue with the 9780 I posted in a number of threads about it. The 9780 was, at the time, the "flagship" BlackBerry Bold, and it was maddening to have this problem. It was even more maddening to get a warranty replacement and have the same problem appear as soon as it was activated.

Posted with my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2947/2274 Radio
    05-12-14 09:43 AM

Most OS10 users are probably on CB10 or some other mobile feed service. The poll doesn't show up that way.

Posted via CBQ10
    05-12-14 09:44 AM
    7 months in on my q10, no issues so far. Love the keyboard.
    ubizmo likes this.
    05-12-14 07:57 PM
    With 82 votes in, the no problems votes still slightly outnumber the problems votes, but in the "after 3 months" category, the problems votes slightly outnumber the no problems. The total number of votes is small and, as has been pointed out several times, the poll is inherently skewed by self-selection bias. I do these periodic summaries to bump the topic and maybe get more votes.

Some people have had problems with more than one Q10 device, but can only vote once.
    05-14-14 07:11 AM
    Yeah, I own 2 Q10s and both have double typing. However, I can only vote once.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 07:43 AM
    my double typing started like 15 days ago
    first I thought It was hardware problem but after reading the comments now I m confused
    R and O are the culprits and If I type some other letters close to R and O they both appear after I type the other letters and its really annoying because when I type I love my Blackberry it comes up as Io lOove blackbeRry
    05-15-14 02:14 AM
    I just replaced the keyboard on my Q myself. My double typing didn't start for at least 6 months and just recently got really bad.

So, I bought an English keyboard with gold frets and gold bezel.
    05-15-14 11:34 AM
    Nice work, combining repair with enhancement.

In the poll, the problems are starting to pull ahead of the non-problems.
    05-15-14 11:39 AM
    Nice work, combining repair with enhancement.

In the poll, the problems are starting to pull ahead of the non-problems.
    Thanks, the keyboard is a lot firmer, reminds me of when mine was new.
    05-15-14 11:41 AM
    Is there any one with keyboard issue and load the 10.3 can tell us weather it's fixed or not?
    Some say it's hardware some say it's software so please share it

Posted via CB10
    05-16-14 01:46 AM
    Which version do you have?
    7 months in on my q10, no issues so far. Love the keyboard.
    05-16-14 01:34 PM
    I've had my Q-10 roughly for 10 months and recently just started noticing the double typing issue. Kind of frustrating, hopefully bb's next phone doesn't have these defects.

Posted via Blackjack Q10
    05-16-14 02:16 PM
    Is there any one with keyboard issue and load the 10.3 can tell us weather it's fixed or not?
    Some say it's hardware some say it's software so please share it

Posted via CB10
    Loading 10.3 hasn't improved the weather where I'm located, unfortunately. It's been raining all week here, I've heard it's going to get warmer though.

In all seriousness, I would do a full backup and load it yourself. If it works for someone else, it doesn't mean it'll work for you. Just a thought. If mine gets worse I might try loading it.

Posted via Blackjack Q10
    05-16-14 02:20 PM
    I don't have problems on a regular basis, but it does happen every now and then. I bought the Q10 last July, and updated to 10.2.1 when the official AT&T came out, so it's only been a few months, and it's not horrible. I've never looked for a solution, because it's not that big of a problem for me.
    05-17-14 07:10 PM
107 12345