I agree with you. As an investor (luckily bought most of my shares at the bottom and knew it was risky) and as a long time user, I'm disappointed to say that I agree with you. They took a product that did E-mail so well and now it's a mess. This phone has a better browser and I like the keyboard on the Q10, but it's lost much of it's distinctive features that set it apart from other phones.

I may be one of the only people out there that has a work iPhone (more robust support) and a personal BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 09:17 PM
    I agree with you. As an investor (luckily bought most of my shares at the bottom and knew it was risky) and as a long time user, I'm disappointed to say that I agree with you. They took a product that did E-mail so well and now it's a mess. This phone has a better browser and I like the keyboard on the Q10, but it's lost much of it's distinctive features that set it apart from other phones.

I may be one of the only people out there that has a work iPhone (more robust support) and a personal BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Personally, I don't think the keyboard is that special. It's prob a tiny bit better than the previous one. But Blackberry has always had good keyboards. I could type blindfolded.

The browser is faster. The camera is better. The spelling recognition is better. But we would have expected any new device to have improved functionality on those elements after 2+ years. Blackberry always made incrementally better devices.

Contacts are permanently lost and otherwise hard to find, shortcuts are gone, the device is sluggish/slow to respond to commands, it is a data usage hog, it deletes emails from the server, the touchscreen is very hard to zoom/move compared to an iPhone or the Bold touchscreen and trackpad combo (even the touchscreen itself was more tactile), it takes longer to reboot when every computer and device has become quicker, people tell me phone clarity when I talk to them is worse, the screen goes darl on speakerphone and I can't disconnect calls, it creates random capitalization for no reason, it freezes for no reason, it takes more steps to do virtually everything compared to its predecessors...I'm sure I've left out many more things...

Oh, and there are fewer apps, including very functionally helpful ones, such as Yelp, and few will be coming, now that BBerry has announced it's intention to exit the consumer business.
    09-25-13 09:36 PM
    Easy tiger. I shouldn't have to tell BlackBerry to put things back into their OS that they've left out and every other mobile computing platform has the ability to do. I don't get paid by BlackBerry to be a beta tester.

Posted via CB10 on 10.1.0.4780
    We'll then I don't have to hold your hand and help you find it.
    09-25-13 10:31 PM
    Yossel Zelkovitz worked in a Polish pickle factory. For many years, he had a powerful, almost uncontrollable desire to put his ***** in the pickle slicer.

Unable to stand it any longer, he finally sought professional help from the factory psychologist. After six months of intense therapy, however, the frustrated therapist gave up. He then advised Yossel to go ahead and do it, otherwise he would probably never have any peace of mind.

The next day Yossel came home from work very early. His wife, Sacha, became alarmed and wanted to know what had happened.

For the first time, Yossel tearfully confessed to her his tormenting desire to put his ***** in the pickle slicer. He went on to explain that today he finally went ahead and did it, and he was immediately fired.

Sacha gasped and ran over to her husband. She quickly yanked down his pants and shorts only to find a normal, completely-intact *****.

She looked up and said, "I don't understand. What about the pickle slicer?"

Yossel replied, "I think she got fired, too."
    09-25-13 11:04 PM
    Because they got rid of BIS, and that was a function of that. I too, am extremely annoyed, but RIM's answer when I opened a ticket was: "well the account is truly staying in sync then, if you delete on handheld and then it deletes on sever".

My answer to this man was, "so you've been at RIM for 5 minutes it sounds like?"

Reply: "June 17th actually."

This new, and semi-idiotic support and development team by building the OS from the ground up chose to leave so many things out.
    Just want to state for the record that leaving a copy of messages on server has been an option on Mail User Agents that talk to POP3 servers since before RIM.
    09-26-13 06:57 AM
    Just want to state for the record that leaving a copy of messages on server has been an option on Mail User Agents that talk to POP3 servers since before RIM.
    It does leave a copy on the server, until you delete it on the hand held. And yes I know that many, if not all other, POP clients have an option to leave messages on the server alone even if they have been deleted locally. What this comes down to is the most effective strategy of getting the feature that you want. So SoxFan's story about the worker and the pickle slicer is apropos.

Opening a support ticket to complain about a feature or lack of a feature (even if you think it constitutes a bug) is not an effective strategy when dealing with very large companies. At some point your issue runs into an officious middle manager who points out that the software is working exactly as design and closes your ticket. I had this happen to one of my tickets I submitted to their bug tracking system. I was told I hadn't provided sufficient supporting information to prove it was an issue and my ticket was closed. The punch line is this happened two releases after the bug had actually been corrected by the OS developers.

The most effective way I've found to get features I want in the OS is to be an unpaid beta tester and either submit comments unsolicited, or better still, when a survey pertinent to my needs is started I make sure I complete it and document the issue there. This gets fed directly into the customer satisfaction people. And since I have taken the time to test beta software and complete the surveys I believe BlackBerry probably gives those comments more weight than the constant ranting on an unrelated forum. But maybe I'm wrong.

Right or wrong though, a BB10 satisfaction survey just closed. They asked specifically what (mis)features reduced overall satisfaction. Among issues that I find personally important I also added:
    • An option to allow the owner to select that when messages from a POP server are deleted, the deletion is not back-propagated to the server (leave the message on the server).
    • When messages from an IMAP or EAS server are deleted the user has the option of them being moved to the Trash folder, or another folder of choice.
    • That users be given the option of filing Sent messages.

If enough people made similar requests those will make the next feature request survey to be voted on and may eventually make it into an update. And according to this blog post we can expect not only 10.2 but also 10.2.1.
    09-26-13 08:27 AM
    Unfortunately, I fear that BBRY is in the business of being a business, and instead of innovation and listening to customers, they believe they have differentiators and react to (stock)market trends.

Sometimes, they get things right. All other mobile OS already supported EAS, but until the MUAs that were created for the QNX base, older BBOS depended on third-party apps for this. While everyone was falling in love with a phantom number of app(lication)s that their mobile device claimed, and showing off webapp(lication)s that could have easily been presented in a web browser, somehow they convinced IT that BYOD was a good thing. Departments saw their iPhone magically get PIM information from Exchange without BES and probably thought it was innovation.

BBRY was too late to catch up to this and unless there are security minded companies that just don't allow it, you see BYOD taking over BES more and more. BYOD with BBOS over BIS was email-centric, while BYOD with everyone else was closer to what BES provided with full PIM connectivity.

If I were a middle manager at BBRY, I might have to answer the same way with regard to a feature such as leaving mail on server and dealing with both the message and POP indexes on the phone. I might have to say that the canned answer should be "Have the customer use their IMAP settings instead of POP". As we see in this thread, that is not always an option but I wonder if it is enough of a corner case to not spend cycles on development work.
    09-26-13 08:21 PM
    So, every time I delete a message from my Q10, even if I've downloaded it previously to Outlook, it ultimately syncs with Outlook and deletes not only from my server but from my Outlook in box, so the emails are gone forever every time I clean up my Q10 from emails?
    11-19-13 02:09 PM
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=y...ure%3Dyoutu.be

Look at the video at the 2:08 minute mark they are bringing back the option in 10.2.1. If you can't wait add the leak

Posted from my awesome Q10
    11-19-13 07:16 PM
84 ... 234