Dear crackberrycommunity,

Im about to buy a new phone within the next 6 months and Im already reading in this forum. I did a lot of research about
    the actual phones(also WP, Android and iPhone).

Actually I am using a about 2.5yr old Xperia P (1ghz dual core, 750 mb ram) with android 4.1 on it. The big problem that I
    have with this phone is the **** battery.
    After this 2.5 yrs my battery was really bad, so i had to replace it. After the replacement it was like new and I got about 3 hrs of navigiating out of my battery, or 24 hrs of standby or 2 hrs of multimedia which is really good for my phone.
    I am sure I will stand this battery for the next 6 or even 9 months but I am really considering a switch to BlackBerry (or to the z1 compact :P ->waterproof->motocycle )

I use my phone as a navigation system on motocycle trips, to read the newest news and to manage skype, whatsapp, multiple mail accounts and as a dictionary for english-spanish-italiano-polnish.

Here are my questions:
    Software

Is skype implemented in the hub? (cant find any inforamtion about this detail, would be a dealbreaker)

Is the BB Navigation a good alternative to google maps in Europe?

Is BB Navigation an offline navigation system? (would be great because google maps isnt)

greetings from the alps
    08-22-14 12:08 AM
    Welcome to crackberry! I hope you will enjoy your stay

I don't have answers to all your questions unfortunately as I have only been using BB10 for a week now but I know for certain that skype does not have hub integration -- YET. This is after trying the app from BlackBerry app world, amazon app store AND Snap for bb. I think the problem is that skype developers have not made a version specifically built for blackberry (generally you can tell which apps have integration based on the badges on store page). I'm hoping that the release of the passport and classic + os 10.3 might kick their butts into pushing out more integrated apps. But unless blackberry gets significantly more popular in the upcoming months I don't exactly see that happening however, i've found that most if not all android apps that don't require Google ID are fully functional on the Q10.

As far as navigation goes, I have only used it once here in the states so I can't say if it's any good in Europe. The turn by turn directions are very good, I think people's main complaints are that it doesn't have precise information like Google maps does (such as traffic and construction updates), but for that you could always get a supplemental app like Waze. As far as I know all navigation requires location services, therefore no offline use. But you could always use your wifi to get written directions and then have voice assistant read them to you while you drive

Hope this helped!

Posted via CB10
    08-22-14 02:52 PM
    Thank you for your answer!

Its sad that skype isnt integrated in the hub but life is life.

In a lot of navigation apps it is possible to predownload a whole area or a whole country so that the user does not need to turn on roaming which is very expensive. Needing data to download an area in another country and gps location services are not the same.

But you could always use your wifi to get written directions and then have voice assistant read them to you while you drive
    This sentence sounds like there is no native voiceassistant integrated in the BB navigation. I NEED acoustic instructions form my nav system because its inside my jacket connected to my earphones while Im on my bike.

Is there a good native weather client avilable? Hopefully with some configurations available like when to update and so on.
    08-23-14 09:29 AM
    This sentence sounds like there is no native voiceassistant integrated in the BB navigation. I NEED acoustic instructions form my nav system because its inside my jacket connected to my earphones while Im on my bike.

Is there a good native weather client avilable? Hopefully with some configurations available like when to update and so on.
    Oh I think I've given you the wrong idea, my apologies. There is turn-by-turn voice navigation for the native app, I was simply throwing out silly suggestion as well :P

The phone comes with accuweather pre-installed which is a serviceable app, the app world also has lots of decent free options as well.

Posted via CB10
    08-23-14 03:55 PM
    Even though Skype is not integrated, doesn't mean that it isn't functional. I use it all the time.
    BlackBerry maps is fantastic for turn by turn functionality. The only issue I have is when you reach your destination, it doesn't tell you left or right side of the street.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    08-23-14 04:03 PM
    Dear crackberrycommunity,

Im about to buy a new phone within the next 6 months and Im already reading in this forum. I did a lot of research about
    the actual phones(also WP, Android and iPhone).

Actually I am using a about 2.5yr old Xperia P (1ghz dual core, 750 mb ram) with android 4.1 on it. The big problem that I
    have with this phone is the **** battery.
    After this 2.5 yrs my battery was really bad, so i had to replace it. After the replacement it was like new and I got about 3 hrs of navigiating out of my battery, or 24 hrs of standby or 2 hrs of multimedia which is really good for my phone.
    I am sure I will stand this battery for the next 6 or even 9 months but I am really considering a switch to BlackBerry (or to the z1 compact :P ->waterproof->motocycle )

I use my phone as a navigation system on motocycle trips, to read the newest news and to manage skype, whatsapp, multiple mail accounts and as a dictionary for english-spanish-italiano-polnish.

Here are my questions:
    Software

Is skype implemented in the hub? (cant find any inforamtion about this detail, would be a dealbreaker)

Is the BB Navigation a good alternative to google maps in Europe?

Is BB Navigation an offline navigation system? (would be great because google maps isnt)

greetings from the alps
    take a look at this navigation App. As for Skype I us it all the time with no problems.
    Newbe needs help-img_20140823_213410.png
    08-23-14 08:36 PM
    Thanks all!

It seems like Ill give BB a chance either with a used Q10 after PP/Q20 launch or with a classic.

I just browsed thru BB world and it looks like all major apps are there that I need. I am happy
    dphjeff likes this.
    08-24-14 11:57 PM