Hi, long time reader, first time caller.

My trusty 7-year-old Q10 is starting to glitch badly so I am ready to move on .... to a like-new Q10, which should be here soon.

My plan is to make sure all correct on the old phone, save a Link backup of everything, and install that backup file on the new phone.

Question regarding OS: currently I have 10.3.3.2129, just as a result of installing Blackberry upgrades back when I got notifications. I have experienced glitches with SMS messages disappearing, and occasional emails arriving very late, but overall it works fine.

I recall conversations where people who were having SMS problems were advised to roll back their OS version.

Should I download and install a different OS before creating the backup for the new phone? Any advantages to using a different one? Is there a generally accepted most reliable OS version for the Q10?

Any advice will be appreciated.
    mh1983 likes this.
    03-08-21 01:36 PM
    Hi, long time reader, first time caller.

My trusty 7-year-old Q10 is starting to glitch badly so I am ready to move on .... to a like-new Q10, which should be here soon.

My plan is to make sure all correct on the old phone, save a Link backup of everything, and install that backup file on the new phone.

Question regarding OS: currently I have 10.3.3.2129, just as a result of installing Blackberry upgrades back when I got notifications. I have experienced glitches with SMS messages disappearing, and occasional emails arriving very late, but overall it works fine.

I recall conversations where people who were having SMS problems were advised to roll back their OS version.

Should I download and install a different OS before creating the backup for the new phone? Any advantages to using a different one? Is there a generally accepted most reliable OS version for the Q10?

Any advice will be appreciated.
    No, the latest and last OS version is the best so stick to that. Have you ever wiped or autoloaded your Q10? After many years of use it probably just needs a clean, new install. Same as a computer used for years, the device will run better when all the goblins are cleared out. If you are going to use Link to reinstall everything in your "new" device, you will probably just reintroduce all the problems. I would start fresh if I were you.

By the way, the last OS version is 10.3.3.3216 (10.3.3.2137). May as well use that as it's the best.
    VALuddite likes this.
    03-08-21 02:25 PM
    Fresh start - ok that is good advice. I've got one text scanning app that I got through Blackberry World that I probably won't be able to replace specifically, but other than that there is no software I would need to transfer.

The charging port on this phone died which is a key reason for moving on, but I definitely will keep it as a backup and do a complete reinstall if I ever use it again.

Thank you!
    03-08-21 03:35 PM
    I've got one text scanning app that I got through Blackberry World that I probably won't be able to replace specifically,
    If you purchased that app, you should still be able to get it back through BBW providing you are using the same BBID as your old phone (and there is no reason not too, of course). Now is the time to do it as BBW status is tenuous at best altho it is scheduled to work for awhile yet. Good Luck!
    mh1983 and VALuddite like this.
    03-08-21 04:05 PM
    Wow I did not know that - ok thanks for the heads up!
    03-08-21 05:51 PM
    You can use Link to backup just your apps. Then you can selectively restore specific apps you want. That way, you can ignore any old phone settings that would pollute the new phone.
    VALuddite likes this.
    03-10-21 12:14 PM
    Good advice, I just did several backups with a separate one for each of the options, and will use that to restore if BB World and the built-in apps don't cover my needs. Thank you
    03-11-21 02:41 PM
    Interesting side note on getting a new Blackberry Q10: The new one just arrived and it is new-in-box, so I am happy with that.

But I just ran the IMEI number on Verizon's Web site (this is a "RIM for Verizon" phone) and, it comes up as not compatible.

But, then I ran my CURRENT Blackberry Q10 IMEI through and it, also, is "not compatible." The one I have been using on Verizon wireless since 2013.

So I guess we'll see what happens when I get the new OS installed and move my SIM card over and power it up ..... but I am cautiously optimistic.
    03-11-21 02:45 PM
    Interesting side note on getting a new Blackberry Q10: The new one just arrived and it is new-in-box, so I am happy with that.

But I just ran the IMEI number on Verizon's Web site (this is a "RIM for Verizon" phone) and, it comes up as not compatible.

But, then I ran my CURRENT Blackberry Q10 IMEI through and it, also, is "not compatible." The one I have been using on Verizon wireless since 2013.

So I guess we'll see what happens when I get the new OS installed and move my SIM card over and power it up ..... but I am cautiously optimistic.
    It says not compatible since VZW isn’t activating new lines of service for non-VoLTE devices. Be careful to not get your old Q10 kicked off switching the SIM cards.
    brookie229 likes this.
    03-11-21 04:57 PM
    Be careful to not get your old Q10 kicked off switching the SIM cards.
    Hmm, first I have heard this; I do need to switch to a new phone because my Q10 is dying. Is there something I need to do to move my SIM card from one Q10 to another?

My planned workflow with the new Q10 was:

1) Upgrade OS using autoloader, and set up with my BB ID.
    2) Move SIM card and media card from current Q10.
    3) Do email accounts and apps.

Is there anything else recommended before moving the SIM card over?

Thanks for any advice.
    03-11-21 05:52 PM
    Hmm, first I have heard this; I do need to switch to a new phone because my Q10 is dying. Is there something I need to do to move my SIM card from one Q10 to another?

My planned workflow with the new Q10 was:

1) Upgrade OS using autoloader, and set up with my BB ID.
    2) Move SIM card and media card from current Q10.
    3) Do email accounts and apps.

Is there anything else recommended before moving the SIM card over?

Thanks for any advice.
    Since 3G was supposed to be shutdown on VZW at end of January, BB10 was already on borrowed time. VZW stopped activating BB10 devices on new lines and switching devices on existing lines 12-18 months ago except rare circumstances.

When you insert your SIM is replacement device, VZW could refuse to switch over from what some forum members have said. You then may have difficulty switching back to old device. At that point you may be forced onto VoLTE supported device. Probably a good idea to speak to VZW before switch.
    03-11-21 09:13 PM
    Alright that is good to know, I will brace myself for talking to Verizon - much obliged sir
    03-11-21 11:16 PM
    New Q10 is working!

Instead of dealing with VZW "customer service" I decided to just take the plunge because the end result would have been the same - I was going to get a new phone whether a BB or something else.

I installed the current OS using autoloader, installed the BBW .bar file using DBBT, got all the apps I needed working, set up email accounts, then moved the SIM card from previous Q10 - and it was seamless.

Thanks to all for your help!
    mh1983, bh7171, elfabio80 and 1 others like this.
    03-12-21 02:03 PM
    New Q10 is working!

Instead of dealing with VZW "customer service" I decided to just take the plunge because the end result would have been the same - I was going to get a new phone whether a BB or something else.

I installed the current OS using autoloader, installed the BBW .bar file using DBBT, got all the apps I needed working, set up email accounts, then moved the SIM card from previous Q10 - and it was seamless.

Thanks to all for your help!
    Congratulations and that’s good to hear. Enjoy as long as you can.
    03-12-21 02:31 PM
    Since 3G was supposed to be shutdown on VZW at end of January, BB10 was already on borrowed time. VZW stopped activating BB10 devices on new lines and switching devices on existing lines 12-18 months ago except rare circumstances.

When you insert your SIM is replacement device, VZW could refuse to switch over from what some forum members have said. You then may have difficulty switching back to old device. At that point you may be forced onto VoLTE supported device. Probably a good idea to speak to VZW before switch.
    I think there is a lot of misinformation as to when US carriers are supposedly shutting down what and when. Verizon and even T-Mobile are recommending to some newer 5G phone users to downgrade to the 4GLTE/3G/2G to save on battery life. Have not read on big blue (except their 5G but not really 5G signal last year)

I don't believe things here are going to be shut off as quickly as may have been noted.
    03-12-21 04:16 PM
    I think there is a lot of misinformation as to when US carriers are supposedly shutting down what and when. Verizon and even T-Mobile are recommending to some newer 5G phone users to downgrade to the 4GLTE/3G/2G to save on battery life. Have not read on big blue (except their 5G but not really 5G signal last year)

I don't believe things here are going to be shut off as quickly as may have been noted.
    AT&T does their own thing and always have. While T-Mobile has delayed some of their stated shutdown schedules, AT&T has made no such announcements.

Also, AT&T 5G is 5G. It was their marketing misdirection of calling LTE-Advanced "5G-E" that you're thinking of. And the fact that some of their later LTE only phones (like my previous Galaxy S9) were displaying "5G-E", when it's still LTE.

And, while T-Mobile and Verizon do let you set the network type to a lower type, AT&T has never allowed that - actually locking that capability out of settings. And they've done that for years. On my Z10, I couldn't set the network to 3G only if I wanted like everyone else on any other network could. On my 9800, I couldn't set it to 2G only. Now, that could be done in the engineering screen, but that would reset if rebooted.
    03-12-21 05:51 PM

AT&T said the shutdown was scheduled for next year but according to several forum members things are happening now. I suspect all carriers will optimize the shutdown together because I believe it benefits them for tower sharing and roaming.
    03-12-21 06:51 PM