I'm confused, do we already know the size of this leaked device?
    01-20-13 12:40 PM
    I'm confused, do we already know the size of this leaked device?
    No, not at all. We could try to figure out the size ourselves though:
    We have one fixed, known size: The USB-Connector attached on the left. It looks like a standard BB cable, the connector has a width of about 10mm. I already tried to the size of the screen, but due to the perspective I couldn't get any good numbers. Another method worth a try would be to "recreate" the picture with a Bold 9900. The USB-Connector is the same. So if one could snap a picture with the same or at least a highly similar angle, we could resize that pic and use that USB cable as a fixing point. I already tried that earlier today, with again mixed results, my shot's angles were too off. However it seemed like this device indeed might have very similar dimensions as the Bold 9900.

Now if we assume the pictured device would actually have the same size as the 9900, we could do a few more things:
    The side bezels of the display appear to be a tad bolder than on the OS7 device, lets say by 0,5mm each side. That would leave the screen itself with a width of roughly about 55,7mm. Since we know for sure the QWERTY will have a 1:1 screen format, the dimensions would be:
    Display width: 55,7mm
    Display height: 55,7mm
    Display diagonal: 3,1"
    Display resolution: 720x720px (as stated by RIM)
    Display PPI: ~328ppi

That would actual be pretty decent. Now take a Bold 9900, increase the screen height so you get the mentioned ~55,7mm. The bottom of the BB10 display would be roughly on the very top of the "T" and "Y" keys. If we now straighten the keyboard, move it down a bit to have a small bottom bezel for the screen... and we would have the pictured device projected on a Bold 9900. Just imagined that for a moment and I have to say I would be quite satisfied by the increased screen size. Not too much, but enough to be relevant. In terms of PPI the device would be also very decent, let's compare:
    X10 3.1": 328ppi
    Bold 9900: 287ppi
    iPhone 5: 326ppi
    Z10 4.2": 355ppi
    Galaxy S3: 305ppi
    So the X10 *would* be a true update compared to the Bold, it would also beat the Galaxy S3 and (though by a tiny bit) iPhone 5. It would be bested by the full-touch BB10 though.

However that were just some thoughts of mine. Since there are so many rumors and speculations floating around, I thought I might share mine
    Attached Thumbnails New N-Series photos ^_^ (I think lol)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1358217139.905913.jpg  
    01-20-13 01:54 PM
    Great job! I agree with your specs. Question - if the X10 would have been 5 mm wider to accommodate a 3.5 inch screen would that have been better? Phone would have been 120x71 mm's.
    01-20-13 05:57 PM
    My thought a exactly. U can never have too many blackberries
    01-20-13 06:04 PM
    I'm just confused as to why we're assuming it's the same size as the 9900. It's funny to see people shout "IT SHOULD BE BIGGER" when we don't even know the size...
    01-20-13 06:13 PM
    do we know if the new N series is the same size as the current bold 9900?
    01-20-13 07:13 PM
    Every shred of evidence points to the same size as the current 9900. See Taiga above.
    01-20-13 09:03 PM
    There is also an image of a OEM X10 frame part (purported) . If you measure the image (print it out) the length divided by the width is very close to 115/66 - the current 9900.
    01-21-13 01:34 AM
    Great job! I agree with your specs. Question - if the X10 would have been 5 mm wider to accommodate a 3.5 inch screen would that have been better? Phone would have been 120x71 mm's.
    I was actually thinking about the same thing. The phone *should* roughly have a width of about 71, maybe 72mm. Which is not that much more, actually if you happen to own an Otterbox Commuter case like me, you'll see the Bold 9900 with this case on is roughly 71mm wide too. I have no problems with this case and the added size.
    What worried me a bit more is the added height, I am not sure if that limits the one-handed usage more.

If you take the Bold 9900, the 3.5" screen would basicly go straight from both sides silves bezels, bottom end would be that second silver line on the keyboard below "T" and "Y" keys. The phone would be of course taller and IMO it is difficult to reach either the upper sections of the screen with my thumb or the lower parts of the keyboard. Having a 3.1" screen appears to be a tad better in this case.
    A good effect however would be a complete different one: Thanks to the larger housing, RIM could actually enlarge the buttons a bit more, which would be a very welcomed thing too.

Let me say it like this: I wouldn't consider a 3.5" device too large anymore, however I wouldn't be disappointed if we'll "just" get a 3.1" screen. The later one still offers a decent increase of screen size compared to the Bold 9900. I'd buy both variants and if RIM would actually release two different sized QWERTY devices, I'd just wait to try them out both before deciding which one I would prefer.

To the others:
    No, we do not know for sure the actual size of the device. As I already pointed out, you can use that USB-connector for size comparison and from what I could recreate, the size of that pictured device (we do not even know what that device is exactly!) seems to be at least very similar to that of the Bold 9900.
    01-21-13 11:04 AM
    The ship has sailed on the X10 but a larger flagship model - call it the K10 - would still be shorter than the Z10 . Certainly no longer. Z10 users will be using a keyboard too. Given the square screen you will get extra height with extra width. A 3.5 inch screen would negate the need for a slider model ( in my view) . Sliders are too heavy and prone to hardware problems.

I suspect too RIM has a strategy of "growing" the X10 and Z10 in the same fashion that Apple and Samsung have. Remember, the strategy shouldn't be to sell what they think we need but rather what we want. I am pretty confident that a 3.5 inch physical keyboard model would sell much better than the 3.1 inch X10.

Possible X10 dimensions "foot print" - http://www.bbin.in/en/2013/01/pics-b...ilable-online/
    anon(5506951) likes this.
    01-21-13 12:04 PM
    Bigger screen would be nice but if you try to do that in a traditional Treo/Bold form factor you could reach the point where it's hard for people with smaller hands to use it one-handed. And being able to use such a form-factor device one-handed seems to be one of the main reasons to use that form-factor in the first place.

I like the idea of a "Torch-like" slider, never really been much a fan of horizontal slider smartphones. However the rumor was that AT&T was heavily involved in the design of the original Torch, they may claim some sort of IP exclusivity or some dumb thing. I never got to have one because it was never available on VZW.

I still think RIM needs to produce that "Blackberry Blade" concept device that that Canadian design-house came up with. Especially now that Corning is touting its new flexible display glass. Do it Do it Do it.
    01-25-13 03:56 PM
    I like the idea of a "Torch-like" slider, never really been much a fan of horizontal slider smartphones. However the rumor was that AT&T was heavily involved in the design of the original Torch, they may claim some sort of IP exclusivity or some dumb thing. I never got to have one because it was never available on VZW.
    Yes, AT&T were the ones who wanted the original Torch. That's why it's code name was Talladega. AT&T's CEO at the time was Ralph de la Vega. Talladego == de la Vega. What a groaner.
    01-29-13 09:52 AM
    I like the idea of a "Torch-like" slider
    That may not be what you think it is. The slider has advantages and disadvantages. It's not "the best of both worlds." Great for some, but I'm looking forward to returning to Bold.
    01-29-13 09:43 PM
    I am sure the Z10 will be selling in China with one or two months. RIM has a BB10 website for China to promote it (cn.blackberry.com). You can expect BB10 phones on China Unicom and China Telcom this year and maybe later in this year or early next year on China Mobile once their LTE network is operational.
    01-30-13 03:08 AM
    It does take a bit of time to get used to no trackpad, but once you get used to gestures you will never look back. At least that's what I think after using the Playbook.
    No track pad is not an issue for me. I have been using it minimally on my 9900 for a couple of months and will get used to the gestures of BB10 quickly
    01-30-13 03:12 AM
    Now if we assume the pictured device would actually have the same size as the 9900, we could do a few more things:
    The side bezels of the display appear to be a tad bolder than on the OS7 device, lets say by 0,5mm each side. That would leave the screen itself with a width of roughly about 55,7mm. Since we know for sure the QWERTY will have a 1:1 screen format, the dimensions would be:
    Display width: 55,7mm
    Display height: 55,7mm
    Display diagonal: 3,1"
    Display resolution: 720x720px (as stated by RIM)
    Display PPI: ~328ppi
    It seems my guessing was mostly correct. RIM Blackberry also confirmed it will feature an AMOLED screen, unfortunately no official specs of that display yet, I'd really like to know wether this is a good, decent panel or if we have to deal with a pen-tile matrix.
    Introducing the BlackBerry Q10

While the Q10 looks almost identical with the leaked pictures, I have to say I like that final design. The back looks much better than those plastic-like leaks we have seen in the past. That weaved-glass material sounds pretty interesting and I can't wait to see how it actually feels. One thing I am still missing though:
    The BB10 blog heavily mentions the great battery. Has there any official word or specs of that battery yet? Is it the same the Z10 features or will the Q get a buffed-up variant?
    01-30-13 11:48 AM
    One thing I am still missing though:
    The BB10 blog heavily mentions the great battery. Has there any official word or specs of that battery yet? Is it the same the Z10 features or will the Q get a buffed-up variant?

There is a Crackberry post with the official Q10 specs now. The battery is bigger than the Z10 battery - I believe 2100 mAh.
    02-01-13 04:00 AM
117 ... 345