People praised how the 9900 was perfect and couldn't get any better and Rim gives us essentially a 9900 running BlackBerry10 and no one is happy? Okie Dokie lol I think it's just perfect
    It looks great!!
    I just hope they make the icons a little smaller. :P

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    01-16-13 09:52 AM
    Can't wait to see this phone in the flesh. The first initial pics made the screen look small. Now these pics (especially the one on the left) make the screen look big. Gosh! My only gripe is the icons are too big for the size of the screen. Get rid of the words below the icons, make them a bit smaller and have 3 rows of icons.
    01-16-13 08:02 PM
    Any rumoured "Torch" style BB10?
    01-17-13 02:30 AM
    Not that I have heard of...
    01-17-13 03:27 AM
    Is that the BlackBerry X10?
    01-17-13 04:24 AM
    Supposedly, that's what the M-Series or Milan would be. I read it was scratched, but apparently the plan is back on again. That's why I'm waiting for the dust to settle before I get a BB10 device.
    01-17-13 06:47 AM
    Supposedly, that's what the M-Series or Milan would be. I read it was scratched, but apparently the plan is back on again. That's why I'm waiting for the dust to settle before I get a BB10 device.
    I'm hopeful too. I like my slider and hope I can hold out once announcements are made if there is one coming out. The wait will be terrible if it is down the road.
    01-17-13 08:10 AM
    The odds are that we won't see a slider before 2014 if you think about it, the market for physical qwerty devices is not increasing so Rim are unlikely to launch one anytime soon as it won't expand sales sufficiently and instead will mostly steal a few that would have gone for an n-series or all-touch anyway.
    01-17-13 08:31 AM
    Im my opinion the slider wasnt given a fair chance as it was hogged by AT&T. I have it now for work but would have jumped all over it as I am on Sprint for my personal phone. It would have probably done much better if other carriers were able to get it also.
    01-17-13 09:43 AM
    I agree sliders are second priority behind L N and curves
    01-17-13 10:54 AM
    tht keyboard better not wear down like the bolds
    You know that is impossible right? You also know, that like a good pair of leather shoes/purse/boots, it is made to get better with age.
    01-17-13 02:03 PM
    I don't know if I can wait past March. I just might have to join 2013 and go with a full touch screen. My Torch is less than a year old and keeps randomly rebooting itself....I'm pretty hard on my phones so its to be expected.
    01-17-13 05:59 PM
    According to the Toronto Sun:

RIM is concentrating on smooth glass handsets that resemble Apple Inc.’s iPhone 5 or Samsung Electronics Co.’s Galaxy S III, shifting away from the raised black keypads that inspired the BlackBerry name. While RIM will sell a BlackBerry 10 model with a physical keyboard to cater to e-mail traditionalists, Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins has said he expects the touch version to account for most orders.

So really I think what you see is what you get - A small screen device that just satisfies the Qwerty base. I think that the Qwerty device will be found to be underwhelming , hence the delay for the Dev C units. RIM does not want any negative press at the launch. The mistake that RIM has made was to stick with the BB9900 foot print. The X10 needed to be the same width as the Galaxy III ( 70 mm) to accommodate the largest screen possible in the square format. Basically a modified "TK justice " was the way to go. The X10 may be the best keyboard machine available but by "settling" they open up the possibility for a better Qwerty device from Samsung. Regardless, RIM traditionalists deserved better.
    anon(5506951) and austriker like this.
    01-17-13 06:25 PM
    According to the Toronto Sun:

RIM is concentrating on smooth glass handsets that resemble Apple Inc.�s iPhone 5 or Samsung Electronics Co.�s Galaxy S III, shifting away from the raised black keypads that inspired the BlackBerry name. While RIM will sell a BlackBerry 10 model with a physical keyboard to cater to e-mail traditionalists, Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins has said he expects the touch version to account for most orders.

So really I think what you see is what you get - A small screen device that just satisfies the Qwerty base. I think that the Qwerty device will be found to be underwhelming , hence the delay for the Dev C units. RIM does not want any negative press at the launch. The mistake that RIM has made was to stick with the BB9900 foot print. The X10 needed to be the same width as the Galaxy III ( 70 mm) to accommodate the largest screen possible in the square format. Basically a modified "TK justice " was the way to go. The X10 may be the best keyboard machine available but by "settling" they open up the possibility for a better Qwerty device from Samsung. Regardless, RIM traditionalists deserved better.
    There you go, a native publication that agrees that the core base of the BB product has been shafted up the bum, and that the X10 was an afterthought placation. Smh...
    01-17-13 07:23 PM
    To be clear:

Only the first paragraph came from the Toronto Sun ... the next paragraph is just my opinion. To be fair, it is probable that RIM lacked the resources to put as much $$ into the X10 as the Z10. Indeed the Z10 is the priority at this time. I wonder if internal politics may have hampered the development of the X10. I am talking about "old school" RIM that probably thinks that the BB9900 is just fine. I guess we will see on Jan 30th but if the X10 has only a 3.1 inch screen then of course fewer people will buy it.
    01-17-13 08:25 PM
    01-17-13 11:01 PM
    To be fair, it is probable that RIM lacked the resources to put as much $$ into the X10 as the Z10. Indeed the Z10 is the priority at this time. I wonder if internal politics may have hampered the development of the X10. I am talking about "old school" RIM that probably thinks that the BB9900 is just fine. I guess we will see on Jan 30th but if the X10 has only a 3.1 inch screen then of course fewer people will buy it.
    I don't think it is fair to describe the development as hampered, this device has a particular target market and it will meet the demands of that market just fine, the crucial change is that the bb10 bold will no longer be the flagship of the entire line and will be there to satisfy the needs of those who have heavier data entry needs.
    01-18-13 02:44 AM
    Sorry, I disagree. The target market wants a device with a keyboard and not a device with the same usable screen size as the Bold 9900. I own the 9900 and I find the screen just too small. The X10 would entice few current 9900 owners to switch and does nothing for the Torch owner. The square screen format presents a limitation so the overall size has to be increased. RIM would have been better off then to develop a slider as model #2. I suspect that rehashing the 9900 was the cheapest short term solution. At the very least RIM should start work on a bigger better X10 for release a year from now.
    01-18-13 11:30 AM
    Sorry, I disagree. The target market wants a device with a keyboard and not a device with the same usable screen size as the Bold 9900. I own the 9900 and I find the screen just too small. The X10 would entice few current 9900 owners to switch and does nothing for the Torch owner. The square screen format presents a limitation so the overall size has to be increased. RIM would have been better off then to develop a slider as model #2. I suspect that rehashing the 9900 was the cheapest short term solution. At the very least RIM should start work on a bigger better X10 for release a year from now.
    The target market for a physical qwerty device is one that knows they are going to make some compromises for that typing experience and that is the thing that is paramount importance on a device like this and it is precisely the reason they did not go for a slider since those devices have the closest thing to a crappy typing experience that rim have released.

If you are advocating a slider and find the 9900's screen to be too small then realistically you are not the market they are catering to with this device and they have an l-series to sell you which offers a better typing experience than on a torch and a larger screen without the bulkiness of being a slider.

In time the qwerty bb10 market may expand widely enough to support a slider, but that is not the case in the short term where we will get a successor to the bold and the curve which were physical qwerty models that actually sold in much greater numbers than the sliders.
    01-18-13 02:48 PM
    Looks great to me. A bold choice to go so utilitarian. Yeah, I hope the back is better looking than what we've seen in photos.

Hate the icons, but I'm confident the screen will be themable. I use themes on bb7.
    01-19-13 08:47 PM
    Looks great to me. A bold choice to go so utilitarian. Yeah, I hope the back is better looking than what we've seen in photos.
    Assuming that first leak of the back was the real one (the weave pattern is a callback to the battery cover on 9900) I think the back is one of those things that will look better in person or in higher quality photos in a similar manner to the way the l-series brought a lot of people around when that one got some good photos, also an important consideration with the back of a phone is also how it feels as we obviously want something that is pleasant to hold and not too slippy either since we won't want to break our shiny new toys.
    01-20-13 07:37 AM
    In the big scheme of things the back is not a big deal. I would have preferred a leather back like the Porsche model . Leather always feels good. The Playbook finish is fine.
    01-20-13 10:36 AM

Hate the icons, but I'm confident the screen will be themable. I use themes on bb7.
    Unfortunatly, there won't be any themes for BB10 available. At least not right from the start. Maybe something we'll get for BB10.1, who knows? In any case, the pictured device showing those icons seem to run a rather early version of the OS. The page indicator dots are a quite nice example for this - they are just hovering over the actual icons.
    01-20-13 10:58 AM
    It looks great!!
    I just hope they make the icons a little smaller. :P
    On an N-series I've seen, the icons were four across, and I think three down IIRC
    01-20-13 12:13 PM
    Assuming that first leak of the back was the real one (the weave pattern is a callback to the battery cover on 9900) I think the back is one of those things that will look better in person or in higher quality photos in a similar manner to the way the l-series brought a lot of people around when that one got some good photos, also an important consideration with the back of a phone is also how it feels as we obviously want something that is pleasant to hold and not too slippy either since we won't want to break our shiny new toys.
    I've seen the back. Don't know if it's the production back, but it was kind of glossy and fingerprinty; basically exactly what you'd imagine from the photos. I like the 9900 back a lot more.
    01-20-13 12:15 PM
117 ... 2345