I just wonder why they went with the straight keyboard. The more I see it the more I dislike it.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    because most keyboards are straight.
    12-31-12 12:07 AM
    I'm not being biased towards Apple. My first ever smartphone was the BB Torch 9800 before switching over to Android, now wishing to come back to BB because of my need for the QWERTY keyboard. What I'm doing is being honest about the mobile landscape as it stands today, and not being blinded by my loyalty to any particular brand. If I had said that IOS is "SEEN AS THE superior OS", or that "IT IS THOUGHT TO BE THE superior OS", would that have been better in not rubbing you the wrong way?
    You're basically saying that Apple can get away with making identical products because the general population agrees that the iPhone is "in," while if any other company's base design becomes "unpopular" it should be rejected and never used again. Like the swastika was.

Blackberries do have a nice design theory. It has been tarnished by some of the poorly made devices RIM pushed out, but on well built devices it looks really nice.

I direct your attention to this link. Many car companies have made ugly vehicles that follow the same design philosophy of their other vehicles. Do you mean that after doing so, they must throw away all similar designs, even for beautiful models that are considered classics?
    12-31-12 01:16 AM
    That's not what I'm saying. Smh... Like I've said before, the iPhone's success was a surprise. It's not for me to say whether or not its "base" design should be upgraded. Do I think it could stand some beautifying? Sure, why not? Then again, that's my opinion as an outsider. And I'm sure some in the Apple community would agree with that assessment at this point, only because of pressure being put on by Android's ever increasing screen sizes.

The real point here is, whether the iPhone gets upgraded or not from its "base" design, the OS WORKS, and is RELIABLE, so to the majority of Apple users that aren't being swayed by the Android pressure, as long as their device works, how it looks is of no consequence.

RIM, like I've said before, can't afford to have that luxury just yet, because at the point when the iPhone came out, BB was already established. Then, the iPhone became more and more popular, while BB became less and less relevant, especially now with the steady climb of Android. RIM is introducing a brand-spanking new OS, after already having premium quality devices run older OS's. You CAN'T, then, introduce that new OS on a device that has a "base" design, because that OS hasn't been PROVEN to be reliable yet. For that reason, you have to put out devices that first LOOK attractive to the eyes, so the brand new OS can be tested out. It's as simple as that. It's called smart marketing. Oh, and by the way? Obviously the pressure being put on Apple by Android caused Apple to deviate from its base design by increasing the screen's height. So yes, even they now understand that things have changed, whether it's fair or unfair. The whole point is, iOS is proven, and BB10 isn't.
    12-31-12 01:47 AM
    Neither of the keyboards models we have seen is attractive, in my opinion.It better have a good operating system to make up for the same old same old.
    anon(5506951) likes this.
    01-02-13 01:50 PM
    Neither of the keyboards models we have seen is attractive, in my opinion.It better have a good operating system to make up for the same old same old.
    Exactly...
    rottonj likes this.
    01-02-13 01:55 PM
    The straight keyboard is very easy to type on, I noticed little to no difference from typing on a 9900, after only a few minutes of use.
    revtech likes this.
    01-02-13 01:59 PM
    Puts me on the bubble of which phone to get. I like the keyboard, been using BB for 10 years now and dont want all touch but would hate for people to think I got a new old phone lol.
    01-02-13 02:00 PM
    That's exactly what I mean! What's the point of having a phone with a whole new and supposedly innovative OS, without having the phone be innovative in terms of its form factor or design? Oh, big deal, a solid black slab with straight black keys, a small screen AND no track pad? Big whoop!
    01-02-13 02:31 PM
    Honestly I think these Die-Hard Qwerty fans are just gonna have to give up.

One, there's only so much innovation you can do with such a dated concept. RIM has been creating qwerty devices there entire career. I think they understand where the market is going and they realise that real qwerty user's aren't looking for fancy dancy innovated hardware. and just need a productive device with great software.

Two, let's face it, the qwerty is gonna die. Take that in for a second, take a deep breath, now relax. If RIM is smart they've started investing more money in R&D to create a product touch screen device so good, no one would bother with a qwerty device. and the L-series is the start of this.

Three, this is the future. Go look at any future concept video from any company. and all of them will have fancy-folding-slim-touch-screen devices that can transform into cats.
    01-02-13 02:46 PM
    That's exactly what I mean! What's the point of having a phone with a whole new and supposedly innovative OS, without having the phone be innovative in terms of its form factor or design? Oh, big deal, a solid black slab with straight black keys, a small screen AND no track pad? Big whoop!
    Well now that you put it that way I'm starting to hate this phone even more. Thanks
    01-02-13 03:03 PM
    Well now that you put it that way I'm starting to hate this phone even more. Thanks
    Lol, sorry. I'm just being honest. I would hope that some of my fellow QWERTY fans would agree with me and not just be blinded by the brand, as if they can do no wrong.
    rottonj likes this.
    01-02-13 03:59 PM
    Until any of us actually sees final product shots and/or specs this is all just speculation.

With that said, I'd be disappointed if RIM were to take the path of planned obsolescence for the QWERTY series. That would be all manner of unwise.
    anon(5506951) likes this.
    01-02-13 04:12 PM
    Lol, sorry. I'm just being honest. I would hope that some of my fellow QWERTY fans would agree with me and not just be blinded by the brand, as if they can do no wrong.
    No fanboy here, but BB does work for me even though the technology is usually dated. I have the 9810 for work and the 9650 for play(upgrade long overdue I'm still hoping for a slider)
    01-02-13 07:35 PM
    ...Also, if you think about it, the advantage of the slight curve to the keyboard came when you were there in two-thumb mode and a straight keyboard would actually perform better one-handed with little deficit two-handed with the other ergonomic features remaining in place.
    Finally, someone gets it!
    BB10 is optimized for one-handed use. That philosophy extends from the L series to the N.
    I couldn't care less how my phone looks as long as it functions at peak capacity. Form follows function.
    Too many people on here are ready to give up on the new keyboard without even trying it.
    jakie55 and ladeberry like this.
    01-04-13 02:31 AM

i don't understand u all complaining ... RIM makes the N phone look like the older qwertys ..u say it looks too same old same old....they change the keyboard look , u all say they should have kept it same....
    yall should make up your mind...smh!!!!
    Jake Storm likes this.
    01-04-13 05:20 AM
    I don't think the X10, or whatever it will be called, looks that bad, myself. Yes, it looks a bit "austere" compared to the 9900, but I can see the reason: to keep the same footprint (which people seem to like) and have the 720x720 screen. I think the ergonomics of the 9900 depend far more upon the typography of the keys than upon the Mona Lisa smile. If the X10 has good keys (and why wouldn't it?), it should be just fine.

The more I look at the X10, the more I like it. Of course that could just be a generalized BB10 jones that's coming on strong now.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    01-04-13 07:11 AM
    I just can't stand the back as its pictured, but I'm quite certain it must be a dev of some kind and the back will be like the z10 (fingers crossed)
    01-05-13 11:20 AM
    i don't understand u all complaining ... RIM makes the N phone look like the older qwertys ..u say it looks too same old same old....they change the keyboard look , u all say they should have kept it same....
    yall should make up your mind...smh!!!!
    This phone is similar to the 9900, minus the trackpad. Straight or curved, I could care less. It just looks dated. I was hoping for amazing and sexy, I know I know too much to ask.
    01-05-13 12:22 PM
    This phone is similar to the 9900, minus the trackpad. Straight or curved, I could care less. It just looks dated. I was hoping for amazing and sexy, I know I know too much to ask.
    Word...smh.
    01-05-13 12:39 PM
    Is there really anyway else to make a qwerty keyboard phone that would be functional and still be usable with one hand.yes it looks like the 9900 which is a great phone, greatest keyboard phone out there. Which is probably why the stuck with the design......it works....

Jake Storm likes this.
    01-05-13 01:31 PM
    Is there really anyway else to make a qwerty keyboard phone that would be functional and still be usable with one hand.yes it looks like the 9900 which is a great phone, greatest keyboard phone out there. Which is probably why the stuck with the design......it works....
    There is. We have seen better in the concept phone pictures. Maybe Rim should be hiring these people as they have shown a fresh look of what could be, not what works so dont change it.
    01-05-13 02:53 PM
    And u actually have used theses concept and u know its functional and easy to use with one hand....??????? Or have u used the n series and any of these concept phones actually do those things better ????????

Its. Easy for anything to look fresh in a drawing....

There is. We have seen better in the concept phone pictures. Maybe Rim should be hiring these people as they have shown a fresh look of what could be, not what works so dont change it.
    01-05-13 03:08 PM
    And u actually have used theses concept and u know its functional and easy to use with one hand....??????? Or have u used the n series and any of these concept phones actually do those things better ????????

Its. Easy for anything to look fresh in a drawing....
    I'm not here to argue, we just dont agree. If it looks like the picture I will be getting the all touch. If I wanted this again, I could break out my old 8330 for another round for a change. I text with 2 hands, mute point with me.
    01-05-13 03:31 PM
    I'm not here to argue, we just dont agree. If it looks like the picture I will be getting the all touch. If I wanted this again, I could break out my old 8330 for another round for a change. I text with 2 hands, mute point with me.
    "Wanted this again"? Dude, although I don't love this design the curve looking phones design is all new and the other looks different as well. You all need to chill before making these judgments before seeing the final stuff.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    01-05-13 07:25 PM
    "Wanted this again"? Dude, although I don't love this design the curve looking phones design is all new and the other looks different as well. You all need to chill before making these judgments before seeing the final stuff.
    Dude, to each his own. I said IF it looks like the picture. You should probably chill. If this is the phone for you, Great.It probably isnt for me
    01-05-13 09:27 PM
77 1234