YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I believe it does. Which is why the Droid Pro felt so awkward and I almost dropped it like a hot potato.
    Notice that ergonomic keyboards for desktops also have a curved profile. And that a desktop mouse has a rounded profile as opposed to the Apple flat mouse, which I don't like.
    For two-handed (two-thumbed) typing the upward curve makes sense, but not for one-handed typing.
    Hold you phone with one hand. Now move your thumb back and forth. It follows a downward curve. For two-handed typing the both thumbs making a downward curve form a smile.
    But for one handed (right hand) typing, the keyboard would have to arc all the way down to the left. The opposite for left hand only typing. Therefore a straight keyboard is the perfect compromise for both lefthand and righthand one-handed typing.
    12-26-12 02:28 PM

...I guess I won't know for sure until I try that straight/squared keyboard.
    Exactly. No sense complaining about it until we try it.
    In Kevin's review of the 'P9981 he said typing on the straight keyboard was fine.
    12-26-12 02:31 PM
    Also known as the HTC Status... absolutely hate the look.

The new mid level QWERTY BB10 looks familiar-21_hero_media_2.jpg
    12-26-12 05:01 PM
    Folks forget that BlackBerrys weren't alway smiling. That came with the trackball. They actually had sad faces and straight keyboards prior to the happy face. The happy face was likely introduced to look good and maximize space framing the trackball and then trackpad.
    12-26-12 06:03 PM
    What I'm concerned about, as far as the qwerty goes is the tactility of it. Taking a look at the picture again, correct me if I'm wrong, but on the straight qwerty, the keys look somewhat flat, whereas on the white phone, the keys look much more tactile. Is it just me? It just might be the lighting, but flat keys are a no no for me. I'm not a fast typer, but I definitely did type faster on my Torch 9800 than I do on the MyTouch 4G Slide that I'm using now, I absolutely hate that keyboard, and it's made me appreciate the BB keyboard that much more. The one on the Bold 9900 series is absolutely perfect, imo. And hopefully, RIM will implement that trapezoidal keyboard that they've patented in the near future, for those of us with wide thumbs.
    12-26-12 07:31 PM
    The advantage of a straight keyboard is the one-handed and/or no look typing, which is something I seldom do.

It's easier to know where each key is because the columns and rows all line up, vs the Bold/Curve keys were staggered and for me at least, made no-look typing more difficult (but MUCH better than any virtual keyboard since I couldn't feel any keys...)
    12-26-12 07:51 PM
    The advantage of a straight keyboard is the one-handed and/or no look typing, which is something I seldom do.

It's easier to know where each key is because the columns and rows all line up, vs the Bold/Curve keys were staggered and for me at least, made no-look typing more difficult (but MUCH better than any virtual keyboard since I couldn't feel any keys...)
    You make a good point. I tend to do that as is on my laptop, so I guess it'll be similar on the phone. I just hope the keys are raised enough. I can't handle virtual keyboards, as I too need to feel actual keys.
    12-26-12 07:57 PM
    Exactly. No sense complaining about it until we try it.
    In Kevin's review of the 'P9981 he said typing on the straight keyboard was fine.
    But isn't the P9981 keyboard the same size as the 9900? I don't think the X10 is that wide?
    12-26-12 08:47 PM
    But isn't the P9981 keyboard the same size as the 9900? I don't think the X10 is that wide?
    Really? I think the X10 actually looks wider than the 9900.
    12-26-12 08:57 PM
    I just wonder why they went with the straight keyboard. The more I see it the more I dislike it.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    So that the key layout/spacing between the "L" and "N" series is the same. My opinion. Makes it easier for someone that is used to the physical qwerty to jump to the virtual kb. Which, is what RIM is trying to facilitate over the long term.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    12-27-12 12:55 AM
    So that the key layout/spacing between the "L" and "N" series is the same. My opinion. Makes it easier for someone that is used to the physical qwerty to jump to the virtual kb. Which, is what RIM is trying to facilitate over the long term.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk

Ok I can see making things easier for people who will be choosing the touchscreen to have a keyboard that resembles the Bold. But why change the Z10's epic Bold keyboard for the sake of the touchscreen? There is no reason to change the best keyboard in the industry.

Simply support Swype on BB touchscreen or have it resemble the Bold but people who will be using the X10 don't need to have it resemble the touchscreen.

Am I missing sense at all?

12-27-12 12:39 PM
    Ok I can see making things easier for people who will be choosing the touchscreen to have a keyboard that resembles the Bold. But why change the Z10's epic Bold keyboard for the sake of the touchscreen? There is no reason to change the best keyboard in the industry.

Simply support Swype on BB touchscreen or have it resemble the Bold but people who will be using the X10 don't need to have it resemble the touchscreen.

Am I missing sense at all?

Yes. I agree the Bold has a phenomenal keyboard and RIM is "messing with success".

To me... the Bold's rounded keyboard fits the rounded nature of the Bold's design. It just looks "right" to me. What I find odd about the "N" is the fact that the phone is still a rounded design but the keys are straight across. Whereas on squared devices the straight across keys look "right" to me.

I think the "N" would be better if it was more like some of the mock ups we've seen, where, stylistically, it resembles the "L". On that design the straight keys look nice.

Usability wise I think folks can get used to it as it is. I personally expect a lot of folks that say they'll never leave the physical qwerty, will actually do so for the "L" due more to the aesthetics of the "N". Just my opinion.
    12-29-12 03:30 PM
    Yes. I agree the Bold has a phenomenal keyboard and RIM is "messing with success".

To me... the Bold's rounded keyboard fits the rounded nature of the Bold's design. It just looks "right" to me. What I find odd about the "N" is the fact that the phone is still a rounded design but the keys are straight across. Whereas on squared devices the straight across keys look "right" to me.

I think the "N" would be better if it was more like some of the mock ups we've seen, where, stylistically, it resembles the "L". On that design the straight keys look nice.
    I agree with you. While there should be more attention paid to the L-Series because of the all touch format, the N-Series to me doesn't have that certain "it" factor, that supports it having the new OS. It's not that aesthetically pleasing. It doesn't make you go, "Oh, **** yeah!, I'm gonna camp out all night to get my hands on one of those babies!" As much as I can compare it to the iPhone, that device too, isn't aesthetically pleasing, but the OS is proven, and it WORKS. So, to implement a whole new BB OS, in a device that's supposed to cater to your most loyal user base and not have it look "sexy" is risky. But it is understandable from a business standpoint, that they'd first want to win over the majority of those on exclusively touch model platforms. I'll take a delay in the release on an N device, as long as I know that it'll be 100% perfected, and that it'll have as close to the same OS experience as the full touch L, once that device is stress tested.
    12-29-12 04:32 PM
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes I believe it does. Which is why the Droid Pro felt so awkward and I almost dropped it like a hot potato.
    Notice that ergonomic keyboards for desktops also have a curved profile. And that a desktop mouse has a rounded profile as opposed to the Apple flat mouse, which I don't like.
    The ergonomic disadvantage for something like the Droid Pro was more about the lack of a chin so you were not able to hold it as comfortably, the smile on older blackberries was much less of an ergonomic benefit than the shaping on the keys themselves or that space below the keyboard that too many seem to eager to throw away for a few mm more screen.

Also, if you think about it, the advantage of the slight curve to the keyboard came when you were there in two-thumb mode and a straight keyboard would actually perform better one-handed with little deficit two-handed with the other ergonomic features remaining in place.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-29-12 05:45 PM
    I think you are reading too much into straightening the keyboard, doing that does not mean that the are abandoning things that work just to match up with the virtual keyboard (although that will be an added branding bonus) they are merely changing things that don't work as well for this model just as they have done in the past so we will still almost certainly see things like the keys on the n-series not being flat and instead keeping the curving that the individual keys have on either their left or right side.
    12-29-12 05:53 PM
    12-29-12 06:03 PM
    Exclusive: BlackBerry X10 (N-Series) Clear Photos - N4BB

Clear pics on n4bb don't look half bad.
    i can haz?
    12-29-12 06:06 PM
    The new bb10 curve device on the left is really not so bad to me ... if it's in BLACK... I'm ok with the new bold device on the right... but I love the desing of 'TK JUSTACE'!The new mid level QWERTY BB10 looks familiar-tk-justace.jpg
    bmw328i likes this.
    12-30-12 12:44 AM
    When I first saw the "family portrait", I said, "Oh cool, its the full touch and QWERTY being compared to an HTC Cha Cha. Why in the **** would they compare it to the Cha Cha? Wait a minute, why does the Cha Cha have a BlackBerry logo?" *Reads blog description* Holy ****, its a mid level BB device! Or a Dev Alpha C or D??? Attachment 129420 It looks just like the old HTC Cha Cha (Facebook phone), which was a pretty nice looking Android QWERTY in my humble opinion, but with a bigger screen... Attachment 129421 Attachment 129422 Anyway, the real point of what I'm getting at is that if there is in fact going to be an entry/mid-level device for BB10, the HTC Cha Cha looks nice (even considering it released Q1 2011) and I think that form factor has a sweet spot for the younger crowd or older generation that don't need a huge screen like the full touch device or the "best" keyboard like the more expensive N series. I've been a critic of entry/mid-level devices, at least ones being released in North America, but if RIM can actually pull it off and still make the device LOOK and FEEL premium, then I don't have a problem with it. Everything RIM puts out needs to be in and of itself look/feel like it is THE flagship device (while still maintaining a cost-effectiveness to both company and consumer), well at least if they want to change the mass consumers' perception of the brand. I know I'm probably asking for too much...
    One looks like HTC cha..cha..cha�����others like regular Andriod devices��
    12-30-12 07:55 AM
    They look dated. These designs would have been pretty exciting in 2006. Sigh.
    12-30-12 03:16 PM
    They look dated. These designs would have been pretty exciting in 2006. Sigh.
    And what do you call the iPhone?

just because a design is old doesn't mean it's a classic. You can still get Gibsons that look the same as their decades old counterparts.
    12-30-12 09:19 PM
    And what do you call the iPhone?

just because a design is old doesn't mean it's a classic. You can still get Gibsons that look the same as their decades old counterparts.
    Sorry, but you can't compare the iPhone with BB10 at this point, cause IOS itself is THE superior OS at this point in time, whereas BB was at one point established, but now is trying to climb back up from a STEEP decline, with the unproven OS10. The success of the iPhone was a surprise. It is because it has proven itself to be RELIABLE, that the simplicity of its design is overlooked. BB doesn't have that luxury. At one point in time, BB was the "it" phone. But not anymore. The QWERTY loyalists need to be wowed, just as much as those people that RIM hopes to sway towards them with the L-Series model, both in terms of innovative design and overall performance. Apple people will remain loyal to the iPhone, so only a minuscule percentage of those users MIGHT be swayed, only out of sheer curiosity.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-30-12 09:39 PM
    Sorry, but you can't compare the iPhone with BB10 at this point, cause IOS itself is THE superior OS at this point in time, whereas BB was at one point established, but now is trying to climb back up from a STEEP decline, with the unproven OS10. The success of the iPhone was a surprise. It is because it has proven itself to be RELIABLE, that the simplicity of its design is overlooked. BB doesn't have that luxury. At one point in time, BB was the "it" phone. But not anymore. The QWERTY loyalists need to be wowed, just as much as those people that RIM hopes to sway towards them with the L-Series model, both in terms of innovative design and overall performance. Apple people will remain loyal to the iPhone, so only a minuscule percentage of those users MIGHT be swayed, only out of sheer curiosity.
    Quick question: Can you compress your point to a single sentence without making it sound biased?
    12-30-12 11:19 PM
    I'm not gonna condemn the straight keys until I try them. I mean can it really be that bad? I trust that RIM will provide an excellent typing experience but again I won't know until I try it

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    12-30-12 11:25 PM
    Quick question: Can you compress your point to a single sentence without making it sound biased?
    I'm not being biased towards Apple. My first ever smartphone was the BB Torch 9800 before switching over to Android, now wishing to come back to BB because of my need for the QWERTY keyboard. What I'm doing is being honest about the mobile landscape as it stands today, and not being blinded by my loyalty to any particular brand. If I had said that IOS is "SEEN AS THE superior OS", or that "IT IS THOUGHT TO BE THE superior OS", would that have been better in not rubbing you the wrong way?
    12-30-12 11:30 PM
77 1234