05-09-15 08:11 AM
42 12
tools
    I tried the Passport again, but is just too awkward for everyday use on-the-go. I love the Passport, but as a tablet more than a EDC mobile device.

I'm still with the Q10, and have been since launch. It's easy to understand how 9900 users have no interest in BB10 when they have a device that just works for them. I'm the same way with the Q10.

What we need is a Q10 followup with a higher-res LCD screen (not amoled), USB OTG, and updated internals. It shouldn't be that hard to produce. It could be slightly larger, but not much.

The Classic is too much, and I really don't like it.

I guess we'll need to wait until 2016 before the possibility of a followup device is even announced...

What's the EOL on the Q10 series? Are these being phased out yet?

Posted via CB10
    That would be my next phone
    For now I am using another new Q10
    05-06-15 01:40 PM
    Wow! Now that's something I did not know. I did have to hold the space bar for a second which is good because I would hate to accidentally hang up on somebody. Now to train myself to use the space bar.

Thanks Trauma Surgeon!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Is it working?? Not for me on 10.3.1.2744
    05-06-15 01:42 PM
    Wow! Now that's something I did not know. I did have to hold the space bar for a second which is good because I would hate to accidentally hang up on somebody. Now to train myself to use the space bar.

Thanks Trauma Surgeon!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    I found it by accident - and then said COOL!

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 02:44 PM
    Seems I found it "by accident" twice and it was dumb luck. Perhaps SpaceBar should always END a call?

Anyways here is an "official" list of phone shortcut keys. Apologies to any I may have mislaid:

* Phone Any key - Call log screen, Call contacts screen - Initaites search.
    * Return/Enter - KeyPad screen - calls the number
    * Number keys - KeyPad screen - inputs digits
    * Enter/Return - Contacts search - Call top search result
    * Backspace - KeyPad screen -Clear
    * Numeric Keys - In Call screen - DTMF Tone
    * Enter/Return - In Call screen - Send MMI Command (in call keypad)
    * H - In Call screen - Place call on hold
    * $ - In Call screen - Toggle speakerphone

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Trauma Surgeon; 05-06-15 at 04:04 PM.
    05-06-15 03:01 PM
    Hmm, these are BlackBerry OS 7 shortcuts?

Tons of good shortcuts in BB10 I just discovered. K locks the phone, C launches compose in the hub? This changes how I use my Q10 completely.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 03:41 PM
    Actually, it is quite the opposite

The LCD screen would noticeably worsen the battery life.

I would prefer a amoled screen myself.
    LED screens give pure deep blacks
    They are also more readable in direct sunlight because of their saturated colors.

And the current 720p screen is fine for me. The Q10 is not meant to be a media or game phone, so I can read texts and documents perfectly fine with the current Q10's resolution.

What I am interested in is the maximized battery life. If we can keep the 720p screen and get more battery life than high-res screens, I would rather keep the 720p screen.

Posted via CB10
    Totally agree. Q10 is a communicator, first and foremost. Watching videos and games is third.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 04:03 PM
    Totally agree. Q10 is a communicator, first and foremost. Watching videos and games is third.

Posted via CB10
    The Amoled screen is hard on the eyes, especially so in dark or bright environments.

If BlackBerry can source a non-pentile amoled display that can compete with LCD screens, I'd be onboard.

Otherwise, the battery savings are negligible in comparison, and the benefit is vastly overstated in this thread. But I do like black blacks and dark themes.

---

Read this: http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...or-your-phone/

Super Amoled Plus is the only option, but it reduces screen life.

And burn in isn't fun either.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 07:28 PM
    If you have seen the screens on the S6, you know how good AMOLED screens can be(and not just because of the resolution) . BlackBerry should just get into a long term partnership with Samsung for their screens. On that note, does anyone know the manufacturer for the Q10's screen? I doubt it was in-house.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-15 07:34 PM
    I'd be happy with Samsung tech finding it's way into new BlackBerry handsets. And I certainly be onboard with a new Q with a nice OLED display.

I still don't like Pentile subpixel arrangements. Given the same resolution and size, an RGB IPS display will always be noticeably sharper than a Pentile OLED display.

If BlackBerry can source current Samsung display tech, I'd be thrilled. It's our best option given the current behind-the-scenes partership. But if it's old tech (like our processors), that's not great.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 05-06-15 at 10:10 PM.
    05-06-15 09:56 PM
    Perhaps SpaceBar should always END a call?
    Currently it doesn't. If you leave the phone app then the spacebar loses any ability to end a call. Conversely, a physical key should always function to end a call.

That's the one key I miss from the old days.

[CB10 / Q10]
    gunnerfitzy likes this.
    05-06-15 10:54 PM
    Currently it doesn't. If you leave the phone app then the spacebar loses any ability to end a call. Conversely, a physical key should always function to end a call.

That's the one key I miss from the old days.

[CB10 / Q10]
    It does seem like a real oversight, given that Return will dial (start) a call. There are a dozen keys that do nothing in the phone app. Come on Blackberry, this is a simple coding change!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 01:32 AM
    Call End is your SPACEBAR!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but call button is still missing! Although I am getting used to screen touch calling but still I miss Nokia E90 style, vertical flip closed and it is only a phone when open full qwerty KB smartphone

 Diplomatic Passport 
    05-07-15 04:48 AM

I would prefer a amoled screen myself.
    LED screens give pure deep blacks
    They are also more readable in direct sunlight because of their saturated colors.
    It's interesting how peoples views, experiences with & perceptions of different BB devices vary; that's what makes the CrackBerry community such an interesting crowd!

Much as I enjoy using my Q10 and the many benefits of BB10 (it's a great device) personally I still find the 9900's LCD screen much clearer and brighter, both in direct sunlight and indoors. The Q10 super AMOLED screen was something of a disappointment for me but that's just how my eyes work.

--
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-07-15 07:51 AM
    That's interesting. I have switched back and forth. The 9900 size was great but not great battery life. I do not miss the toolbar now I'm using BB10 and the Hub an important utility.

I also like the swipe to answer/drop calls! And the replaceable battery is absolutely vital.

Already this morning my team has had two separate panic calls for samsung and apple chargers.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-15 08:41 AM
    It's interesting how peoples views, experiences with & perceptions of different BB devices vary; that's what makes the CrackBerry community such an interesting crowd!

Much as I enjoy using my Q10 and the many benefits of BB10 (it's a great device) personally I still find the 9900's LCD screen much clearer and brighter, both in direct sunlight and indoors. The Q10 super AMOLED screen was something of a disappointment for me but that's just how my eyes work.

--
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. I found the 9900 to be the best phone for my use (business and personal) and I truly miss its presence in my life.

Posted using 10.2.1, thankfully not 10.3.1
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    05-08-15 09:57 AM
    Spacebar to end call is not working on 10.3.1. For me at least
    05-08-15 12:02 PM
    nor me...did we lose it in the update?
    05-09-15 08:11 AM
42 12