I tried the Passport again, but is just too awkward for everyday use on-the-go. I love the Passport, but as a tablet more than a EDC mobile device.

I'm still with the Q10, and have been since launch. It's easy to understand how 9900 users have no interest in BB10 when they have a device that just works for them. I'm the same way with the Q10.

What we need is a Q10 followup with a higher-res LCD screen (not amoled), USB OTG, and updated internals. It shouldn't be that hard to produce. It could be slightly larger, but not much.

The Classic is too much, and I really don't like it.

I guess we'll need to wait until 2016 before the possibility of a followup device is even announced...

What's the EOL on the Q10 series? Are these being phased out yet?

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 12:05 PM
    All of the first generation BlackBerry 10 devices, including the Z10, Z30, Q5, and Q10 have reached EOL status as far as I am aware -- remaining stock of these models are being sold to clear inventory, but that's about it.
    05-05-15 12:13 PM
    What about a Q10 successor with 4:3 ratio with higher specs and without tool belt?

 Diplomatic Passport 
    05-05-15 12:17 PM
    Needs to keep size, screen dimensions, and replaceable battery. LCD screen is a good idea. It needs to keep Q10 keyboard format - with a more robust (no double-typing faults) design.

And NO toolbelt or trackpad either! SIMPLE.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 12:30 PM
    I concur totally with those sentiments!
    Deadcowboy
    Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 12:51 PM
    Totally agree that upgrade is necessary and also that overall size should stay the same. Replaceable battery and micro hdmi out should remain. USB OTG. Chrome type band around the device. Wireless charging and/or contacts for pod charging. Convenience button to make a return.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 12:52 PM
    Add me on the list on this request.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 01:32 PM
    Totally agree that upgrade is necessary and also that overall size should stay the same. Replaceable battery and micro hdmi out should remain. USB OTG. Chrome type band around the device. Wireless charging and/or contacts for pod charging. Convenience button to make a return.

Posted via CB10
    Yes to retaining micro HDMI port. And yes to contacts for pod charging (like 9900). But NO, NO, NO to convenience return call button.

Just swipe up and hit left icon. You are done!

Posted via CB10
    Larry Harper likes this.
    05-05-15 02:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    This is a basically perfect list of upgrades.

I think Qi charging is maybe more modern, and compatible with loads of 3rd party chargers on the market, so it gets my vote over charging contacts.

USB Type-C will be standard by the time the Q10-2 ever comes around

Convenience key would be killer. User-programmable? I'd make it an answer/end-call key.

4-row keyboard for sure. Maybe touch control, too? Like the Passport and Slider.

Price is a non-issue for me as I'd be sticking with it for years (as I have the Q10). So future-proofing would be nice. But I don't want to get unrealistic.

Basically more of the same with modern specs and an LCD.

I think it's time we start hearing about a Q10 successor. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to order another Q10 before they're all gone. Sad to know they're EOL at the moment (and with no successor).

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    05-05-15 02:25 PM
    That's why I ordered a Q10 last week, before they're gone for good.
    Also, good ideas "deadcowboy" regarding a successor of this model.

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe and Trauma Surgeon like this.
    05-05-15 03:06 PM
    I'm with you...Q10 with kinds of upgrades you discuss but keeping the size or slightly larger and removable battery. I tried the Classic...beautiful device but too large...and the spaces in the keys were a concern for future dirt and obstruction esp since one cannot get inside it for repairs. Q10mark 2 is a great tItle!

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 03:35 PM
    I don't get the hate for amoled. I would much rather have a nice amoled screen like on the S6 than any LCD: lower battery consumption, better contrast and better refresh rates, amoled has all the advantages. Those who say that amoled looks artificial don't understand that amoled screens are extremely flexible in the extent of colour reproduction and so if you want less 'punchy' colours then the right software manipulation can do that for you.

Anyway, aside from that little rant, I completely agree: a Q10 refresh with a better processor while retaining the form factor and removable back are in order.

Posted via CB10
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    05-05-15 03:39 PM
    I don't get the hate for amoled. I would much rather have a nice amoled screen like on the S6 than any LCD: lower battery consumption, better contrast and better refresh rates, amoled has all the advantages. Those who say that amoled looks artificial don't understand that amoled screens are extremely flexible in the extent of colour reproduction and so if you want less 'punchy' colours then the right software manipulation can do that for you.

Anyway, aside from that little rant, I completely agree: a Q10 refresh with a better processor while retaining the form factor and removable back are in order.

Posted via CB10
    One of the issues with the Q10's AMOLED screen is that it uses a Pentile sub-pixel arrangement. This is why straight lines often look like zippers. This arrangement has had reports of inducing nausea (it's affected me as well). Not only that, the resolution is sub-reported due to pixels sharing subpixels. The Q10's screen is pretty bad, that's why people are down on it. The Z30 screen (amoled with a traditional subpixel arrangement) was an improvement.

Another issue is that the screen won't dim low enough to be comfortably used in the dark, nor bright enough for extended sunlight usage.

LCD will offer more natural colors. While the AMOLED is more saturated, and has better contrast. I'll take natural colors any day.

---

That's why I ordered a Q10 last week, before they're gone for good.
    Also, good ideas "deadcowboy" regarding a successor of this model.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the response.

I'm sure glad there are so many Q10 users who feel the same way about an updated Q10. It really was an awesome launch phone that is better built than the Classic sidegrade model. (luckily we can actually repair the Q10 with OEM parts due to the awesome internal design).

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 03:53 PM
    This is a basically perfect list of upgrades.

I think Qi charging is maybe more modern, and compatible with loads of 3rd party chargers on the market, so it gets my vote over charging contacts.

USB Type-C will be standard by the time the Q10-2 ever comes around

Convenience key would be killer. User-programmable? I'd make it an answer/end-call key.

4-row keyboard for sure. Maybe touch control, too? Like the Passport and Slider.

Price is a non-issue for me as I'd be sticking with it for years (as I have the Q10). So future-proofing would be nice. But I don't want to get unrealistic.

Basically more of the same with modern specs and an LCD.

I think it's time we start hearing about a Q10 successor. In the meantime, I guess I'll have to order another Q10 before they're all gone. Sad to know they're EOL at the moment (and with no successor).

Posted via CB10
    Programmable convenience key like 9900? Then I say yes, as long as I can disable it too.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 04:33 PM
    One of the issues with the Q10's AMOLED screen is that it uses a Pentile sub-pixel arrangement. This is why straight lines often look like zippers. This arrangement has had reports of inducing nausea (it's affected me as well). Not only that, the resolution is sub-reported due to pixels sharing subpixels. The Q10's screen is pretty bad, that's why people are down on it. The Z30 screen (amoled with a traditional subpixel arrangement) was an improvement.

Another issue is that the screen won't dim low enough to be comfortably used in the dark, nor bright enough for extended sunlight usage.

LCD will offer more natural colors. While the AMOLED is more saturated, and has better contrast. I'll take natural colors any day.

---

Thanks for the response.

I'm sure glad there are so many Q10 users who feel the same way about an updated Q10. It really was an awesome launch phone that is better built than the Classic sidegrade model. (luckily we can actually repair the Q10 with OEM parts due to the awesome internal design).

Posted via CB10
    Never noticed the zippers. If an LCD gives much better battery life, then I say YES to LCD!

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 04:35 PM
    Here's the problem: battery life.

If you want something the size of a q10, obviously they won't be able to fit a bigger battery, if we're being logical and assume they did fit the biggest possible battery in the q10.
    So faster processor: needs more battery
    Higher resolution screen (pointless since the ppi on the q10 is already very good): more battery

Adding buttons to the side and charging contacts and all that doesn't warrant creating a new phone which won't sell well anyway.

Have you even tried the classic? It's a really nice phone, even though I find the toolbelt useless, it is definitely some form of an upgraded q10 (bigger screen, battery, metal body, bigger keyboard)
    05-05-15 04:48 PM
    I kind of like the OLED screen actually. After using LCDs for years I've come to enjoy the colors and contrast on my Q10. I suppose as long as the successor sports a quality IPS LCD I would be fine with it. Of course its much easier to make a high-ppi LCD than OLED as well so getting a bump in resolution with LCD is pretty likely.

Definitely keep the glass weave and steel frame. The overall size and proportions are fine as well, I wouldn't want it any bigger or smaller. The quality construction is one of the main reasons I bought the Q10 so I don't want that to change.

Wireless charging or contacts for a dock charger are lower on my list - it adds complexity and expense so unless they've minimized the impact from both of those factors I'd rather they'd be left out.

Better glass on the screen might be worth the added expense, but I'd probably get a screen protector anyways.

I'm all for a control key on the keyboard (ctrl) and all the shortcuts to go with it. The text-navigation shortcuts (home, end, ctrl+home/end ctrl+del, ctrl+left/right etc) are lacking on the current OS10 and could certainly be implemented without a ctrl key.

As for upgrading the internals, I'd rather they go with a leaner setup. The dual core is fast enough for me, so if they throw a quad in there and double the ram while sacrificing battery life I won't be very interested. I think they can manage to accomplish both goals though, so long as they don't go overboard on some kind of big-little design with two completely separate CPUs. I'd be happy with the same dual-core with a minor speed bump, but on more modern silicon so the power consumption is even lower than the current one.
    05-05-15 05:03 PM
    Well CPUs should get more efficient with time, right? We don't need bleeding edge specs, but a quad core processor with a lower clock should be better than a dual core with a high clock. Probably better thermals and battery life.

Battery life: we don't need a phone as thin as the classic. Heck, make the Q10 50% thicker and I'd be happy. I don't even use a case. I don't get the thin phone obsession; gets difficult to type with no thickness.

As far as the Classic is concerned, I tried it. It's just not as good of a phone. And it has the same processor and ram as the Q10, right? It's a sidegrade. Yeah it has some better features, but it can't be repaired, and the build is poor.

Posted via CB10
    05-05-15 08:23 PM
    Here's the problem: battery life.

If you want something the size of a q10, obviously they won't be able to fit a bigger battery, if we're being logical and assume they did fit the biggest possible battery in the q10.
    So faster processor: needs more battery
    Higher resolution screen (pointless since the ppi on the q10 is already very good): more battery

Adding buttons to the side and charging contacts and all that doesn't warrant creating a new phone which won't sell well anyway.

Have you even tried the classic? It's a really nice phone, even though I find the toolbelt useless, it is definitely some form of an upgraded q10 (bigger screen, battery, metal body, bigger keyboard)
    Tried the Classic - and it is a dud for 3 reasons:
    1. Device is too large - see 9900 and Q10 size
    2. Device is sealed - NO removable battery
    3. Same internals as Q10 with a useless "belt"

Posted via CB10
    Q10Bold likes this.
    05-06-15 03:16 AM
    Tried the Classic - and it is a dud for 3 reasons:
    1. Device is too large - see 9900 and Q10 size
    2. Device is sealed - NO removable battery
    3. Same internals as Q10 with a useless "belt"

Posted via CB10
    Surprisingly I read lot of threads where CB users were asking for toolbelt (9900 pattern) and when BlackBerry came out with toolbelt, there are many threads why BlackBerry added toolbelt!
    9900 fans didn't understand OS10, it's just one thumb swipe OS. I am really "old school " type user, I still like Call Answer and Call End buttons and on touchscreen calling feature should be disable. I prefer security and privacy! I feel dumb when my phone accidentally call someone.

 Diplomatic Passport 
    Trauma Surgeon likes this.
    05-06-15 06:17 AM
    While I liked the physical call/end call buttons on the 9900 I do like the extra screen size gained from not having them on the Q10. An optimum situation would be having a physical convenience key on the side that could be used, amongst other purposes, to answer and end calls (as suggested by a previous poster).

In fact, is there any reason why the physical play/pause button on the existing Q10 could not be programmed to answer and end calls?

Posted via CB10
    jrsva2008 likes this.
    05-06-15 09:50 AM
    Never noticed the zippers. If an LCD gives much better battery life, then I say YES to LCD!

Posted via CB10
    Actually, it is quite the opposite

The LCD screen would noticeably worsen the battery life.

I would prefer a amoled screen myself.
    LED screens give pure deep blacks
    They are also more readable in direct sunlight because of their saturated colors.

And the current 720p screen is fine for me. The Q10 is not meant to be a media or game phone, so I can read texts and documents perfectly fine with the current Q10's resolution.

What I am interested in is the maximized battery life. If we can keep the 720p screen and get more battery life than high-res screens, I would rather keep the 720p screen.

Posted via CB10
    Mansoor2 and BerryRipe like this.
    05-06-15 11:02 AM
    Surprisingly I read lot of threads where CB users were asking for toolbelt (9900 pattern) and when BlackBerry came out with toolbelt, there are many threads why BlackBerry added toolbelt!
    9900 fans didn't understand OS10, it's just one thumb swipe OS. I am really "old school " type user, I still like Call Answer and Call End buttons and on touchscreen calling feature should be disable. I prefer security and privacy! I feel dumb when my phone accidentally call someone.

 Diplomatic Passport 
    Call End is your SPACEBAR!

Posted via CB10
    BerryRipe, Mansoor2 and jrsva2008 like this.
    05-06-15 12:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    Wow! Now that's something I did not know. I did have to hold the space bar for a second which is good because I would hate to accidentally hang up on somebody. Now to train myself to use the space bar.

Thanks Trauma Surgeon!!!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    jrsva2008 and HesSoStrange like this.
    05-06-15 01:19 PM

Posted via CB10
    On which OS??
    That would be great!
    05-06-15 01:36 PM
42 12