Hi all,

After begging for months, my office gave me a Q10 to test out for the past week, but I need to make a decision this week whether to keep the Q10 or go back to my old Bold 9900. For the most part, I have enjoyed using the Q10, but I've run into a handful of issues with the Q10/OS 10 software that are pretty annoying. I'm not sure if any of these are "dealbreakers" for me yet, but at the same time I'm having trouble swallowing the idea of going back in time to a device that is over two years old. So I'm reaching out to you knowledgeable folks to see if there are any fixes for these issues or whether the upcoming 10.2 update will address any of them.

1. No "Holster" profile -- Loved that the old blackberrys have a separate "vibrate" profile when placed in the holster. Will this profile be re-introduced in the 10.2 update?

2. Can't edit snooze time for reminder popup -- right now, the only option is to dismiss or snooze for 5 minutes. I can't seem to set the snooze for 15 minutes before event start, or anything else. Also, if I open an all-day event, I can reset (I think I'm resetting it, but not sure) the reminder to something like "9AM on the day of event" but I don't seem to be able to "snooze" the existing reminder.

3. Documents to Go / Word to Go -- the native Word to Go application does not let you view footnotes. Please tell me that this will be fixed in the upcoming 10.2 update. I have currently sideloaded the full version of documents to go for Android, which provides footnote functionality, but I've noticed that the "sideloaded" apps do not have access to the full file directory on the device -- instead, the sideloaded apps can only see the "documents" stored under Device -> Misc -> Android -> Documents. By contrast, the native applications seem to have access to Device -> Documents, which is an entirely different folder (and also the default folder when downloading email attachments from the Hub). Also, I can't seem to change the default word application -- whenever I open a word doc attachment from an email, it always launches the native word to go app. Then I have to save the doc into a different folder (under Device -> Misc -> Android -> Documents) so that the sideloaded app can open the document. The extra steps are rather cumbersome. Resolved the file system navigation issue as detailed below. Lack of footnote functionality in native Word To Go still persists though.

4. BB Hub view -- in the BB hub, even if you have the "show filed messages" option turned OFF, it will still show the filed messages with a yellow outline in the main BB Hub view. You have to then use the drop down arrow on the upper right and change your view to "email account --> inbox" before the filed messages will not show. Even when you are just in the top-level "email account" view, you will still see the filed messages with the yellow outline. Any way to change that behavior?
    Apparently I will need to still click on each message to "read" them to remove from the main Hub view. Annoying, as I would expect the show filed items set to OFF setting to override this behavior, but oh well.

5. Display of information regarding local contacts vs. Outlook server-side contacts -- on my old blackberry, if I received a text message or phone call from a person from work, the blackberry would pull his/her contact info from the company server so that I would see the full name and phone details. On the Q10, it seems like if the person is not a local contact, i will only see the phone number, no name. How do I get it to show the name if it is a work contact without having to copy all of my work contacts locally to my phone? (I do not want to copy the contacts to my phone.)

6. Not able to send certain emails -- there are a few messages that have PDF attachments that I am not able to forward. The messages just hang in my outbox for days. Even if I delete the hanging message and try to re-send (to the same recipient), the exact same behavior occurs. This appears to be a one-off issue with a handful of messages, but I can't seem to determine any pattern in figuring why these messages will hang. Note that there is nothing unique about the emails themselves as I am able to forward the exact same message to the exact same recipient from my Bold without any issues.
    Last edited by RedSwedishFish; 10-06-13 at 08:35 PM. Reason: updates
    10-06-13 01:22 PM
    I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll try.

1. As of 10.2.0.1443, there is no Holster profile. However, Michael Clewley (from BlackBerry) indicated on his Twitter feed that later in 10.2 there might be a major overhaul to profiles settings, I'm assuming bringing it back to how BBOS had it. You can go check it out yourself if you want; I don't remember exactly what he said.

2. Editing the snooze feature for reminders, I'm happy to say, does exist. Go into Calendar -> Pull-down Settings -> General to the bottom of the page. You cannot customise it per reminder, however.

Need to decide whether to keep Q10 -- how many of these issues are fixed by 10.2?-img_00000390.png

3. I was not aware that Docs To Go does not have footnote functionality. Funny that the Android version does. However, sideloaded Android applications should have access to the regular file structure, but by default is in the folder you mentioned. There should be an "Up" button somewhere to go the the regular Documents and Downloads folders.

4. As for filed messages, when you say "yellow outline" do you mean unread emails? Unread emails will always show in the Hub, even if they are filed. Once they are read they won't show. Also, there is a setting to change whether filed messages show in the Hub, and in 10.2 at least, another setting for Sent messages to show. These settings are located in the right menu -> Settings -> Display and Actions.

Need to decide whether to keep Q10 -- how many of these issues are fixed by 10.2?-img_00000391.png

5. I don't know the answer to this question, but why don't you just sync your phone's contacts with Outlook? It should happen automatically.

6. Sounds like an issue with the way your email is setup on the phone. Try removing and readding the account. This is usually enough to fix any problems.

The jump to BB10 from BBOS is pretty big, but you'll be happy to know that BlackBerry is still working hard on getting those OS updates out there despite talks of selling the company and whatnot, so I think even more is yet to come. In the meantime, I hope you're happy with and like you're test Q10. I have one myself and love it.

Posted via CB10
    Deanig_12 and tnewton3 like this.
    10-06-13 02:13 PM
    Thanks so much for your response. I've addressed your comments in-line below:

I can't answer all of your questions, but I'll try.

1. As of 10.2.0.1443, there is no Holster profile. However, Michael Clewley (from BlackBerry) indicated on his Twitter feed that later in 10.2 there might be a major overhaul to profiles settings, I'm assuming bringing it back to how BBOS had it. You can go check it out yourself if you want; I don't remember exactly what he said.
    I assume that the Q10s still have the magnetic sensor in the back that would enable a holster profile support? I will take a look at what Mr. Clewley has to say.

2. Editing the snooze feature for reminders, I'm happy to say, does exist. Go into Calendar -> Pull-down Settings -> General to the bottom of the page. You cannot customise it per reminder, however.
    Yes I saw the "general" setting but what I was referring to is when the reminder popup is already showing on the screen, you used to be able to "snooze" it for a certain amount of time. Basically, I have my all-day events set to display a reminder at 18 hours, but then I want to be able to snooze that reminder for 4 or 8 hours, depending on what kind of event it is, but it sounds like that functionality is not there as of the current OS release.

3. I was not aware that Docs To Go does not have footnote functionality. Funny that the Android version does. However, sideloaded Android applications should have access to the regular file structure, but by default is in the folder you mentioned. There should be an "Up" button somewhere to go the the regular Documents and Downloads folders.
    I cannot access the same file structure that the native file manager application accesses from Documents to Go. In the sideloaded DTG, the highest file directory I can access is "/sdcard/" but it is not the same directory as where the native file manager points me to. That is, what the sideloaded DTG app sees as "/sdcard/" is actually "Device/misc/android/" (as viewed through the native file manager).

4. As for filed messages, when you say "yellow outline" do you mean unread emails? Unread emails will always show in the Hub, even if they are filed. Once they are read they won't show. Also, there is a setting to change whether filed messages show in the Hub, and in 10.2 at least, another setting for Sent messages to show. These settings are located in the right menu -> Settings -> Display and Actions.
    I have show "sent" and "filed" set to OFF in my Hub settings. I'm not sure if the messages I see are "unread" messages, as I have to click on each one to file it, but they do show up as hollow envelops with yellow outlines, as opposed to a solid yellow envelopes (which are the true "unread" messages that live in my top-level inbox). Grey envelopes for messages that are read but have not yet been filed.

5. I don't know the answer to this question, but why don't you just sync your phone's contacts with Outlook? It should happen automatically.
    Sorry, I should be clear. My personal Outlook profile only has about 3 contacts. The remainder of my "contacts" come from the company's "global address book," but they are not saved as personal "Outlook" contacts. Rather, it's the database that is used for the "look up" (I don't recall if this look up is done over LDAP or Active Directory) that's done when you enter a partial name/email address and Outlook will try to fill in the rest. In any event, I do not want to copy each and every entry from the company's global address book onto my phone, as that would fill my phone with hundreds of contacts that I will never use. I also never had to do that with my Bold to get the "global" contact details to show up in the phone and text message applications.

6. Sounds like an issue with the way your email is setup on the phone. Try removing and readding the account. This is usually enough to fix any problems.
    I will have my company's IT staff try that, as I don't have the mail server information handy and I don't know what other "magic" they have to do to get the email account to sync to the outlook server.
    10-06-13 03:13 PM
    I assume that the Q10s still have the magnetic sensor in the back that would enable a holster profile support? I will take a look at what Mr. Clewley has to say.
    Yes, it still has the magnet.

Yes I saw the "general" setting but what I was referring to is when the reminder popup is already showing on the screen, you used to be able to "snooze" it for a certain amount of time. Basically, I have my all-day events set to display a reminder at 18 hours, but then I want to be able to snooze that reminder for 4 or 8 hours, depending on what kind of event it is, but it sounds like that functionality is not there as of the current OS release.
    I'm not sure if this was ever an official feature. I remember having to type a code to enable this on my OS6 device.

I cannot access the same file structure that the native file manager application accesses from Documents to Go. In the sideloaded DTG, the highest file directory I can access is "/sdcard/" but it is not the same directory as where the native file manager points me to. That is, what the sideloaded DTG app sees as "/sdcard/" is actually "Device/misc/android/" (as viewed through the native file manager).
    The SDCard folder should have symbolic links allowing you to access all folders on your device and SD storage. It's just formatted in a way that Android apps understand. The folders in there point to your device storage. To access your actual SD card, open the 'external_sd' folder.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-06-13 03:28 PM
    The SDCard folder should have symbolic links allowing you to access all folders on your device and SD storage. It's just formatted in a way that Android apps understand. The folders in there point to your device storage. To access your actual SD card, open the 'external_sd' folder.
    Forgive me, but I'm not seeing the "external_sd" folder you are referring to.

Within DTG, this is what I see as being available under "/sdcard/documents/":

This is clearly a different directory from where the native DTG app saves documents, as shown in the native file manager application:

I can't seem to get my sideloaded DTG application to see what is under "Device/documents", as the highest directory I am able to navigate to is "/sdcard/":

But this is not the same as the highest level directory available in the native file manager application:
    10-06-13 04:23 PM
    This is what I see...

Need to decide whether to keep Q10 -- how many of these issues are fixed by 10.2?-img_00001202.png

Need to decide whether to keep Q10 -- how many of these issues are fixed by 10.2?-img_00001201.png

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-06-13 05:02 PM
    Thanks so much for your response. I've addressed your comments in-line below:

Yep, still has the magnet. There is still support to have the phone automatically answer/hang-up a phone call when you take it out or put it back in the holster.

I know what you mean. I think that was originally a hidden option on BBOS. I don't know why they never implemented it in BB10.

I'll try sideloading it and see myself. Is the Android DCT free?

I have show "sent" and "filed" set to OFF in my Hub settings. I'm not sure if the messages I see are "unread" messages, as I have to click on each one to file it, but they do show up as hollow envelops with yellow outlines, as opposed to a solid yellow envelopes (which are the true "unread" messages that live in my top-level inbox). Grey envelopes for messages that are read but have not yet been filed.

http://i.imgur.com/Jrp2rAn.png
    The yellow outlined messages are unread but filed. The solid yellow messages are unread and unfiled. As soon as you read the unread but filed messages, they aren't on the main Hub screen anymore.

Sorry, I should be clear. My personal Outlook profile only has about 3 contacts. The remainder of my "contacts" come from the company's "global address book," but they are not saved as personal "Outlook" contacts. Rather, it's the database that is used for the "look up" (I don't recall if this look up is done over LDAP or Active Directory) that's done when you enter a partial name/email address and Outlook will try to fill in the rest. In any event, I do not want to copy each and every entry from the company's global address book onto my phone, as that would fill my phone with hundreds of contacts that I will never use. I also never had to do that with my Bold to get the "global" contact details to show up in the phone and text message applications.
    Oh... LDAP. I never could figure out if I could do that on my phone. Try searching the BB website.

I will have my company's IT staff try that, as I don't have the mail server information handy and I don't know what other "magic" they have to do to get the email account to sync to the outlook server.
    Good luck with that! Email setup is just plain annoying.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 05:02 PM
    I see that it seems to be some sort of bug. In the misc\Android folder, the Downloads, Pictures, and other folders are identical to the regular ones at the top level of File Manager, but for some reason the Documents folder is not the same. I guess what you can do is just create a folder called Documents within the Downloads folder for a quick fix so that you can access it from within both DTG Android and everywhere else.

As far as support for LDAP goes, I couldn't find anything except that the BlackBerry Enterprise IM application has support for LDAP, but I don't know the extent of this support because you can only use it if you're on BES, which I'm not.
    10-06-13 05:44 PM
    Regarding the documents folder, I've dug into it some more and I've solved the issue.

I reloaded a media backup from yesterday, which completely removed the /sdcard/documents folder. This told me that the Android Docs to Go actually created this folder upon installation. So, use something like Ghost Commander, go to /sdcard/, and delete the documents folder.

Next, download "BG SSH-SCP-SFTP free" from BlackBerry World. You can simply search for "BG Shell" for it to show up. This is a console application, you'll be familiar with it if you have used Linux, BSD, or even DOS. Run the following commands:
    ln -s /accounts/1000/shared/documents /sdcard/documents
    ln -s /accounts/1000/shared/documents /sdcard/Documents

This will create two new symbolic links, 'documents' and 'Documents', in your /sdcard/ folder. Unlike Windows, BB10 uses a case-sensitive file system and an app looking for "Documents" will not find "documents", and vice versa. All of the other symbolic links are created with this redundancy, but since Docs to Go allows you to browse, this isn't really necessary if you don't want the duplicate. I'm not sure what apps require this redundancy, if any.
    RedSwedishFish likes this.
    10-06-13 07:03 PM
    Making sure read/write permissions exist for the new links. Everything works:

Need to decide whether to keep Q10 -- how many of these issues are fixed by 10.2?-img_00001203.png

Need to decide whether to keep Q10 -- how many of these issues are fixed by 10.2?-img_00001204.png

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    10-06-13 07:09 PM
    Good! I'd've never found that solution.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 07:40 PM
    Regarding the documents folder, I've dug into it some more and I've solved the issue.

I reloaded a media backup from yesterday, which completely removed the /sdcard/documents folder. This told me that the Android Docs to Go actually created this folder upon installation. So, use something like Ghost Commander, go to /sdcard/, and delete the documents folder.

Next, download "BG SSH-SCP-SFTP free" from BlackBerry World. You can simply search for "BG Shell" for it to show up. This is a console application, you'll be familiar with it if you have used Linux, BSD, or even DOS. Run the following commands:
    ln -s /accounts/1000/shared/documents /sdcard/documents
    ln -s /accounts/1000/shared/documents /sdcard/Documents

This will create two new symbolic links, 'documents' and 'Documents', in your /sdcard/ folder. Unlike Windows, BB10 uses a case-sensitive file system and an app looking for "Documents" will not find "documents", and vice versa. All of the other symbolic links are created with this redundancy, but since Docs to Go allows you to browse, this isn't really necessary if you don't want the duplicate. I'm not sure what apps require this redundancy, if any.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Using the BG Shell app I was able to soft link the directories, and now my sideloaded DTG app can see the documents directory.
    Last edited by RedSwedishFish; 10-06-13 at 08:33 PM.
    10-06-13 08:06 PM
    The yellow outlined messages are unread but filed. The solid yellow messages are unread and unfiled. As soon as you read the unread but filed messages, they aren't on the main Hub screen anymore.
    So this behavior surprises me, as I would expect the setting of "don't show me filed messages" to override the display of new messages in the top-level Hub. I mean, it's not unexpected that people will file messages to folders to be read later, but still want those messages to be marked as "new" within the subfolder, but I understand that reasonable minds may differ on this one.
    10-06-13 08:37 PM