Ten days ago I updated my AT&T Q10 to BB10.2 via sanchesi and until yesterday, life has been groovy.

But starting yesterday morning, my Hub has been acting up. I'll see the toast notifications, but the messages are nowhere to be found.

If I click on a toast to go read the message sometimes nothing happens, sometimes it opens but is blank, and rarely now does it fully open -- and under any of these conditions when I return to the hub, the message isn't there

If I dismiss the toast popup manually, or wait for it to timeout, and then go look for the message in the hub -- it's not there.

This is happening for SMS and for Email. BBM and Facebook seem to be fine. Those are all appearing in the hub.

SMS actually started misbehaving a few days ago, which I discovered while attempting a 2-step authentication -- I could see the toast but not the whole SMS -- so I had to keep resending the 2-step auth code until I could get one short/easy enough that I could quickly read/remember it from the toast to then type it in to the website.

The missing emails started happening yesterday morning.

To make matters worse, it is apparently not isolated to inbound email, as one message that I received very early yesterday, and even replied to from my BB, just up and disappeared. The whole conversation (set of messages) is not in the hub or the individual mailbox, and is not anywhere to be found in webmail.

Test emails sent back and forth between accounts are not providing any clues. Test messages appear in webmail and never show up on my BB -- I'm not getting any auth-failure messages from the BB -- and two of those test messages while originally appearing in webmail just disappeared right before my eyes. It's NOT a POP/IMAP thing. All my computers at home are off, and their settings weren't changed recently anyway.

It's not a Hub / Not-Hub thing, as I cannot find the missing messages by going directly into each email account, and I've turned on every single account to appear in the hub, to try and figure this out. Using the SMS icon to go directly into there, instead of going in through the Hub doesn't make anything magically appear.

It's like everything is coming in and being deleted... I've made sure "show filed messages" is on, I've checked the imap folders. Nothing is standing out as any type of clue.

I've rebooted the phone twice, and done the 5-swipe hub restart three or four different times. Nothing has helped.

Short of deleting all my accounts with their associated email/calendars/addressbooks and re-adding them -- any suggestions?
    04-10-14 04:59 PM
    That doesn't sound good... Must be hugely frustrating.
    Sounds like you've kept your head on and done some good checking though.

First thing to try is a simple device reset. (NOT the same a Restart.)
    Hold down top key of phone. Keep holding down the top button, ignoring all onscreen options and countdown.
    After the red LED turns on then off, you can release the top key.

Anything better after that reboot?
    If not, then yes I'd unfortunately recommend removing your accounts and re-adding them. After you've removed all of them, preform a device reset as per above. When you re-add them, do not shut off or reboot your phone for a while. Accounts can take a very long time to sync and populate your messages / items.
    neefer likes this.
    04-10-14 05:11 PM
    Thanks, I tried the reset as described waiting for the red light to come on and then turn off. Alas, it didn't solve the problem.

The only other thing I can think of that could in any way even be remotely related is that like the rest of the world this week I'm madly changing passwords left right and sideways. My email accounts were among the first, and the next time the BB tried to connect it gave the password warning and provided an opportunity for me to enter the new one. Maybe something went haywire with that process. But since the issue is also happening with SMS, I'm skeptical that it's simply a password problem.

So I guess delete and re-add is my next step. Oh joy.
    04-11-14 12:18 PM
    Could be hub issue. I had the opposite where messages were stuck in the hub and wouldn't go away. I hope it isn't like the issue when the gyroscope etc were malfunctioning due to a bb server.
    04-11-14 12:31 PM
    If it were a hub issue, wouldn't the magic 5-diagonal-swipes thing clear it up? I've done that several times. What did you end up doing to solve your issue?

If it were just email, it would be one thing... but it's SMS too, which is just bizarre. For the time-being, I've swapped my SIM into my unlocked Z10 (that I fortunately ordered a couple of weeks ago for entirely different reasons). I'm getting twitchy without my keyboard, plus it doesn't have all my email accounts setup (yet). But at least now I get SMS, and can actually get my 2-step authentication codes!

There's some seriously bad electronic ju-ju out in the world this week. This issue isn't even the worst of what's happened this week in regards to computery stuff (not counting the "Heartbleed" thing...). Co-worker's work computer died Monday. My home laptop died Wednesday. My work computer is suddenly telling me that I'm not running a genuine copy of Windows...

Is it beer-o'clock yet?
    04-11-14 03:19 PM
    If it were a hub issue, wouldn't the magic 5-diagonal-swipes thing clear it up? I've done that several times. What did you end up doing to solve your issue?

If it were just email, it would be one thing... but it's SMS too, which is just bizarre. For the time-being, I've swapped my SIM into my unlocked Z10 (that I fortunately ordered a couple of weeks ago for entirely different reasons). I'm getting twitchy without my keyboard, plus it doesn't have all my email accounts setup (yet). But at least now I get SMS, and can actually get my 2-step authentication codes!

There's some seriously bad electronic ju-ju out in the world this week. This issue isn't even the worst of what's happened this week in regards to computery stuff (not counting the "Heartbleed" thing...). Co-worker's work computer died Monday. My home laptop died Wednesday. My work computer is suddenly telling me that I'm not running a genuine copy of Windows...

Is it beer-o'clock yet?
    It sounds like it is. Have we had solar flairs? Lol
    04-11-14 04:59 PM
    It sounds like it is. Have we had solar flairs? Lol
    Any time anything weird happens at work, my response is "sunspots and solar flares".

And this is SUCH a weird problem. Definitely solar flare material.

At least I got the Q10 upgraded to 10.2 so I now have the password manager export feature and have safely exported from the Q10 and imported onto the Z10.

Even if I delete all my email accounts and re-add -- that won't solve the SMS problem. So I guess my next step is a restore to factory defaults. :-(

I did a full device backup last night. Anyone have any thoughts on the chances of "the problem" having been backed up, and thus becoming re-introduced when I restore? (Note that I don't readily have access to an older backup since my laptop croaked this week too, and I was backing up locally on it, not off to my NAS.)
    04-11-14 05:32 PM
    AGHH this just happened to me! ALL of my text messages and all emails from before 11:30 pm yesterday, including Gmail, yahoo mail, all of my email accounts except for one of my email accounts oddly... all messages are GONE. Resetting the hub does nothing.

Are my messages really gone forever? Or will some magical cure bring them all back? I actually was COUNTING on my text messages with the ex-wife as important evidence in an ongoing custody battle... I haven't backed up in a few weeks which is catastrophic for me...

HELP!

Using Q10 on Verizon
    04-14-14 07:15 AM
    I should have mentioned though, that I AM getting new messages since 11:30 PM last night. They're not coming in and automatically getting deleted... it's just that all my saved messages are gone

Using Q10 on Verizon
    04-14-14 07:22 AM
    Almost same happened to my Q10... I want to reset it.. But i dont know how. I cant find my blackberry Hub.. Still sayng "Preparing BLackberry Hub" ... Weeks ago...
    04-14-14 10:29 AM
    Rod,

ALL your messages vanished? This is different than what was happening to me. I only lost one email message that I am aware of, and I still have tons of old ones in there. It was only new stuff that was mysteriously vanishing.

Alas, none of my disappeared items have ever returned. So I fear your text messages are gone forever. :-(

Having peripherally been involved in a legal matter for a friend, my best advice for this particular issue: never let your evidence only exist digitally in a single location, and don't rely on standard device backup features to CYA; multiple hardcopies in multiple locations are your friend; multiple digital copies in multiple locations are your friend; CD / DVD / Flash Drives are your friend.

For the specifics of text messages: take screen captures, and use those captured images to make hardcopies and digital backups. If you want to be really hardcore, use a separate digital device to photograph your phone with the messages on-screen (in addition to all other methods). If you have a trusted friend, give them one of your many digital archival copies for safe-keeping. If you have a REALLY good and trusted friend -- as in "willing to go to court with you, if needed" -- email said friend the screen captures as they happen and cc yourself to create a timestamped paper trail. Good luck. (And of course -- if you have representation run all this by them first as everyone's situation is different.)
    Last edited by neefer; 04-14-14 at 01:12 PM.
    04-14-14 12:52 PM
    Anyone have any thoughts on the chances of "the problem" having been backed up, and thus becoming re-introduced when I restore?
    So to follow-up on last week's saga....

Around 9pm Friday evening the problem began to mysteriously resolve itself -- my two-step-authentication SMS messages once again "stuck" and stayed visible in the hub.

Early Saturday, I started getting email for one of the accounts (I must have missed that one when I set them all to "manual" sync to try and at least keep things from getting deleted from the server).

Late Saturday evening I turned all the other accounts back to auto sync, and they pulled in all the messages that had accumulated on the server Fri/Sat -- and they they didn't mysteriously disappear from the server once they got onto my BB.

By Sunday I was back to normal. I sent test emails to every single one of the accounts on my BB, and they all went through immediately.

I never had to do a reset to factory defaults & restore from backup. I didn't even delete any of the email accounts and re-add them.

I am completely perplexed.
    04-14-14 01:03 PM
    So to follow-up on last week's saga....

Around 9pm Friday evening the problem began to mysteriously resolve itself -- my two-step-authentication SMS messages once again "stuck" and stayed visible in the hub.

Early Saturday, I started getting email for one of the accounts (I must have missed that one when I set them all to "manual" sync to try and at least keep things from getting deleted from the server).

Late Saturday evening I turned all the other accounts back to auto sync, and they pulled in all the messages that had accumulated on the server Fri/Sat -- and they they didn't mysteriously disappear from the server once they got onto my BB.

By Sunday I was back to normal. I sent test emails to every single one of the accounts on my BB, and they all went through immediately.

I never had to do a reset to factory defaults & restore from backup. I didn't even delete any of the email accounts and re-add them.

I am completely perplexed.
    Sounds like bb voodoo. Maybe the same as the sensors. Hope not, I hate to think they have that much control.
    04-14-14 01:14 PM
    Rod,

ALL your messages vanished? This is different than what was happening to me. I only lost one email message that I am aware of, and I still have tons of old ones in there. It was only new stuff that was mysteriously vanishing.

Alas, none of my disappeared items have ever returned. So I fear your text messages are gone forever. :-(

Having peripherally been involved in a legal matter for a friend, my best advice for this particular issue: never let your evidence only exist digitally in a single location, and don't rely on standard device backup features to CYA; multiple hardcopies in multiple locations are your friend; multiple digital copies in multiple locations are your friend; CD / DVD / Flash Drives are your friend.

For the specifics of text messages: take screen captures, and use those captured images to make hardcopies and digital backups. If you want to be really hardcore, use a separate digital device to photograph your phone with the messages on-screen (in addition to all other methods). If you have a trusted friend, give them one of your many digital archival copies for safe-keeping. If you have a REALLY good and trusted friend -- as in "willing to go to court with you, if needed" -- email said friend the screen captures as they happen and cc yourself to create a timestamped paper trail. Good luck. (And of course -- if you have representation run all this by them first as everyone's situation is different.)
    Thanks so much for the advice. Yes, ALL my texts previous to 1130 last night are gone, as well as all of my emails except for, oddly, only one of my six email accounts, those are still there. And I AM receiving new texts and emails just fine. This is a nightmare... I really don't think anything like this would have ever happened on my old BlackBerry Curves that I used for so many years :/ those were rock solid

Using Q10 on Verizon
    04-14-14 01:56 PM
    Yes, ALL my texts previous to 1130 last night are gone, as well as all of my emails except for, oddly, only one of my six email accounts, those are still there. And I AM receiving new texts and emails just fine. This is a nightmare...
    Have you tried the two types of resets? Those are the only ideas I have, as they seem to help a lot of other people with various issues, even though they didn't help with mine:

1) 5 diagonal swipes top-right to bottom-left in the HUB

2) Holding down power button all the way through the shutdown process and beyond, waiting for the red light to come on and then go back off. (Make sure you wait for it to go on then off. The first two times I tried this I prematurely let go when the light went on, since that's the visual trigger I am used to, and didn't wait for the light to go off...)

Good luck.
    04-14-14 04:26 PM
    Have you tried the two types of resets? Those are the only ideas I have, as they seem to help a lot of other people with various issues, even though they didn't help with mine:

1) 5 diagonal swipes top-right to bottom-left in the HUB

2) Holding down power button all the way through the shutdown process and beyond, waiting for the red light to come on and then go back off. (Make sure you wait for it to go on then off. The first two times I tried this I prematurely let go when the light went on, since that's the visual trigger I am used to, and didn't wait for the light to go off...)

Good luck.
    Yes I sure did... resetting the hub with the 5 swipes did nothing, and neither did the long-hold reset, neither did a battery pull. The messages are GONE. Yet new ones continue to come in on all accounts as though everything is fine.

Using Q10 on Verizon
    04-15-14 12:45 AM