I'm curious on if anyone is with me in this list... my lighthearted top five annoyances after a year with the Q10, in no particular order:

1. A text comes in, so the notification pops up. You tap it, and the full text thread opens. Now what would any normal person do after reading the message? Why, type a reply, of course. Except wait, you can't- because the focus isn't on the text entry field. Any key you press just triggers secret key shortcuts! Hit the right one, and it's back in the hub putting every character you enter into the search field there... In what world does this make sense? I'm REALLY hoping it's just a coding oversight. My current solution? Get frustrated after five or six characters and stab the d*mn text entry field till I see the cursor there, then start over... and of course cancel out of the search at the hub afterward. Which leads me to...

2. Key shortcuts. I get why they're useful, I know some people swear by them. But for the love of everything, why aren't they OPTIONAL? Do you know how many times I've tried to use an exclamation point then enter, only to have it asking a verification to change languages? Or when running into list item #1, triggering who knows what else unintentionally? Though I do give BlackBerry some credit- in previous versions of the Q10 software, the search shortcut would blank out and lock up the hub for minutes at a time, much to the chagrin of me and many others on here who wanted to actually USE our phones, not sit there looking at it to be ready like it's an original Pentium machine trying to stream HD video... Just a simple settings checkbox would be sufficient, though a full configurable keyset would be much better. If I install a program on my pc that has default keyboard shortcuts I often trigger, I can alter them to never-used triggers I'll remember, even if I have to edit registry keys or hidden ini files. When did the software become "correct" and get control over the user instead of vice verse? On the topic of making things optional...

3. Now, in all fairness, I have never been a fan of touchscreens. I'm a lifelong IT guy who is set in my mouse-precise cursor world. I like menus and full control, not great big colorful Dora the Explorer screens of 4-6 options( that somehow- despite my careful studious alignment of finger and screen- it still interprets the option right next to the item I want). I like tactile feedback with instant response. Poking a piece of glass until the pixels change properly just doesn't mesh well with me. But that aside, my Bold 9700's trackpad was genius. Total precision and control, audible click when selecting, convenient highlighting over what you ARE clicking... it simply made sense. And now the latest and greatest system is having NO real control over what gets selected unless you enlarge everything to be big sensor-targets like we're back in pre-320x240 resolution days. Seriously? How is that progress? I used to marvel at my sweet 9700, how it was like a perfect portable mini computer- high resolution, full websites rendered on a single screen. Now everything should be a tablet, with clunky dumbed-down interfaces? Do you know why the "back" button always has to be so prominent in the GUI nowadays? It's because the error selection rate is magnitudes higher than it was, thanks to touchscreens :-p Anyway, to each their own, I know some people like it. But could they have at least gave some option to activate a virtual trackpad, and shut off the rest of the screen? There's circumstances where the text-select circle is absolutely unusable, the start-end selection tab thing hopelessly inept, and if my forgetting to lock the screen on my phone causes one more random outbound call or camera opening...

4. Rebooting. Yes, folding up some friggin paper and shoving it in my battery case did in fact help a lot (not that it should have been necessary). It no longer spontaneously restarts itself upon setting it down or picking it up from a table. However, there will still be times that I have my Q10 in my front pocket, such as today at the movies. Somehow the slight flex in my sturdy-seeming BlackBerry triggers a reboot, without my knowledge. I pull it out afterward to discover it sitting back at the main hub screen. I suppose I should be thankful that it's not doing it during calls, and that it isn't an unstable/random software issue, but... really? Are battery connectors really so hard? Or did they get "upgraded" too? >_>

5. And the last thing on my list of Q10 annoyances: It's damn close to perfect. Yes, that's a real complaint. See, I'm not jumping ship to Android or Apple. When every other company is switching to onscreen keyboards, my Q10 still rocks the awesome can't-be-beat BlackBerry signature keyboard which is so good it's ripped off as an accessory (imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and all that). I still have a better (if less than half of my 9700's) battery than anyone else. Android emulation is amazing, giving me the best bits from the Other Guys without sacrificing my beloved hardware. Heck, I even have FM radio! I use my Q10 at least 6 solid hours per day for web browsing, music, texting, games... I'm glad I bought it, and would do it again. So why is that a bad thing? Because it makes items #1 - #4 stick out like a sore thumb. They're such a slap in the face because any issues are such a sharp contrast to the rest of the sheer superiority in every other way. I get vocal about them (and apologize for it- sorry!) because they are the lone flies in the ointment. And I'm well aware that BlackBerry has me by the b*lls; they don't have to fix a single one of my issues. They could introduce more, and I'd still be stuck in their boat because it's the best out there. No wonder us BlackBerry users are always so hyped up over rumors about the next possible model or version number... "If they just fix _____, I will have the perfect phone!!!"

Keeping humor, fairness, and your own experiences in mind, who agrees?
    Last edited by CharredPC; 03-12-14 at 02:47 AM.
    03-12-14 12:12 AM
    This needs a signal boost. I'm with ya buddy old pal.
    03-12-14 12:15 AM
    I feel you on every single item!

Especially #1 and #2.

Posted via my amazing Q10
    03-12-14 12:23 AM
    +10,000

'...There's circumstances where the text-select circle is absolutely unusable, the start-end selection tab thing hopelessly inept,..."

https://blackberry.icanmakeitbetter.com/
    03-12-14 12:25 AM
    Amen brother!
    03-12-14 01:17 AM
    Ditto! Couldnt have said it better myself

Q10 with Telus on 10.2.1.2141
    03-12-14 01:25 AM
    Need to be fixed
    03-12-14 02:23 AM
    I have not had any of your annoyances but will look out for some of them going forward. I started out on a Z10 but haven't gone full on Q10 until recently. So far so good with maybe the annoyance of viewing videos in the16:9 ratio on the Q10 screen.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 07:07 AM
    RIGHT ON! Poster, you read my mind like you live in my brain.

I would add just 1 thing- seriously, just 1 to this list. Orientation in any screen of the apps/ folders, from the top left of the screen or open folder, going right and then down...

Ok, so here is what I mean:

In any folder on the screen (say you put all your navigation/ travel apps in a folder, for instance...) and when you open that folder to go to a certain app, the orientation of the apps is from the top left of the display/folder going to the right and then down to the next row back over to the left again. In my opinion, this creates a very unnatural long reach with the thumb or fingers all the way across the screen to reach that app. There is no way to readjust the app or folder placement to say, bottom right, going to the left and then up to the next row, where it would be a far shorter reach from the keyboard. The problem is even more exacerbated on the Z10.

It would be so sweet if this display/ folder orientation was customizable to the user. I'd definitely have to add this to your list.

Kobnyc
    03-12-14 08:14 AM
    I should add that you CAN rearrange the app placement on the display screen or in a folder. But when you do, it will only be in the same configuration of the top left going right, then down to the left again for the next row.

Kobnyc
    03-12-14 08:17 AM
    I'm glad I'm not alone in this. I hope those who like to respond with "shut up and leave BlackBerry if it's not what you want" will keep my post in mind before making snap judgements. Like the government, criticizing or complaining is our right as a consumer. It doesn't mean we want to jump ship; a lot of us just want to express our frustration over that last 2% that drives us nuts

Posted via CB10
    SmileDahling likes this.
    03-12-14 04:31 PM