Okay, hello all!

So, I was super pissed off at AT&T blocking my LTE service from BBM Video and Voice calls due to having a grandfathered unlimited plan. Today, I got sick and tired of it because it works on other carriers, and now, on iOS and Android too (Voice only but on LTE nonetheless) on the SAME grandfathered unlimited plan on AT&T!!! So, I paid them off $390.00 for AT&T to release me from my contractual obligations (I was on the AT&T Next Instalment Plan) and told them I'm shopping for a new carrier. Then, I told them to give me the unlock codes for both my Z10 (older one) and my recently purchased Q10.

I just activated a T-Mobile Micro SIM card I had laying around by calling them. (A friend of mine got her service disconnected on T-Mobile and her family phones were locked to T-Mobile so I helped her out for a bit until she can reactivate but I over-ordered SIM cards.) I thought I should try out if the HSPA+ refarm would work sufficiently enough that I would opt to switch to T-Mobile by activating to a prepaid account and using it for a few days. $3/day, why not?

To my surprise, "4G LTE" WORKS!!! FOR BOTH the AT&T branded STL100-3 Z10 AND SQN100-1 Q10 devices!!!

WHAAT?! This is INSANELY AWESOME!!! I'm so happy right now!!! I thought that they only refarmed HSPA+ and only the 1700/2100 MhZ LTE devices would work with their LTE service but I guess it works!

Just wanted to share my joy. Best Valentine's Day ever for me!!! Now, BRB, I'm going to prep my rack of lamb for tonight.
    02-14-14 07:34 PM
    #winning

Posted via CB10
    02-14-14 07:36 PM
    I just did a speedtest. This is what I got on my Q10:
    My AT&T branded Q10 and Z10 unlocked works on T-Mobile's 4G LTE network?!?!-img_20140214_170604.png

Pretty good I think. Around the same or maybe slightly less than what I got on AT&T but hey, at least they don't block my BBM. :-)

Posted from my BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    02-14-14 08:09 PM
    Please clarify your initial situation before you went to TMobile.

Did bbm voice & video work with ATT or did only work with gsm and not LTE?
    Or did it not work at all?

I am with AT&T on a grandfathered unlimited data plan and mine does not work period unless I am on wifi

Okay, hello all!

So, I was super pissed off at AT&T blocking my LTE service from BBM Video and Voice calls due to having a grandfathered unlimited plan. Today, I got sick and tired of it because it works on other carriers, and now, on iOS and Android too (Voice only but on LTE nonetheless) on the SAME grandfathered unlimited plan on AT&T!!! So, I paid them off $390.00 for AT&T to release me from my contractual obligations (I was on the AT&T Next Instalment Plan) and told them I'm shopping for a new carrier. Then, I told them to give me the unlock codes for both my Z10 (older one) and my recently purchased Q10.

I just activated a T-Mobile Micro SIM card I had laying around by calling them. (A friend of mine got her service disconnected on T-Mobile and her family phones were locked to T-Mobile so I helped her out for a bit until she can reactivate but I over-ordered SIM cards.) I thought I should try out if the HSPA+ refarm would work sufficiently enough that I would opt to switch to T-Mobile by activating to a prepaid account and using it for a few days. $3/day, why not?

To my surprise, "4G LTE" WORKS!!! FOR BOTH the AT&T branded STL100-3 Z10 AND SQN100-1 Q10 devices!!!

WHAAT?! This is INSANELY AWESOME!!! I'm so happy right now!!! I thought that they only refarmed HSPA+ and only the 1700/2100 MhZ LTE devices would work with their LTE service but I guess it works!

Just wanted to share my joy. Best Valentine's Day ever for me!!! Now, BRB, I'm going to prep my rack of lamb for tonight.
    mithrazor likes this.
    03-04-14 01:01 PM
    Please clarify your initial situation before you went to TMobile.

Did bbm voice & video work with ATT or did only work with gsm and not LTE?
    Or did it not work at all?

I am with AT&T on a grandfathered unlimited data plan and mine does not work period unless I am on wifi
    Hey sorry for the hella months late reply. Haha

Okay, so AT&T had me on the grandfathered unlimited plan. BBM Video & Voice did not work on the AT&T network. HSPA+ or LTE. It only worked when I'm connected to the BlackBerry network (the logo indicator) via WiFi.

I switched to T-Mobile and it worked. BUT, I switched back to AT&T about 5 days after. Lol I realised how ****ty T-Mobile's coverage really is in LA. I'm in the mountains a lot for research and T-Mobile never works there. Maybe I got EDGE, GPRS or even GSM calls only. But when I'm on "SOS", when I slide down, it actually says that I'm roaming on the AT&T network. Lmao

So, now I'm back on AT&T. I got the 10 GB plan but then changed my mind, so they put me back on the grandfathered unlimited plan. But now, MY BBM VIDEO AND VOICE CALLING WORKS ON THEIR LTE AND HSPA+ NETWORK!

So idk how it works but I'm happy with AT&T service. I also only pay $61.99/month for unlimited calls, text and data. haha

05-08-14 02:16 PM
    Nice. Good Job

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 09:11 PM
    They flipped the switch on all grandfathered plans or are in the process of working through it because most people on here have it active now. I don't bother turning on my WiFi anymore anywhere.
    05-09-14 06:47 AM
    Hi I was wondering if you remember if wifi calling worked when you used your at&t q10 on t-mobile? Thanks!
    05-09-14 07:11 PM
    They flipped the switch on all grandfathered plans or are in the process of working through it because most people on here have it active now. I don't bother turning on my WiFi anymore anywhere.
    Is that so? Because I had reported AT&T to the FCC and the FTC and, on my third day on T-Mobile, was contacted by someone from the AT&T Business Solutions Executive Response Team by the name of Grace Milton about the problem I was having, telling me that she wishes to correct the issue with the constraints of my grandfathered unlimited data plan.

05-27-14 02:56 PM
    Hi I was wondering if you remember if wifi calling worked when you used your at&t q10 on t-mobile? Thanks!
    No it did not. I don't think 10.2.1 with WiFi Calling was released for BB10 yet at the time. I wouldn't have downgraded just for that. Haha

05-27-14 02:57 PM
    The devices are interswapable. The may have just one or two bands that they lack. When I was on ATT my SQN5 Q10 worked on att LTE just find actually

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 11:15 PM
    OMG, thanks so much for this post!!! I have an unlocked white SQN100-1 that I currently use with AT&T. I have only been with them for a month and am very dissatisfied with everything from my account being listed under a random person's name, to being text literally every 30 mins saying that I've used a extra gig of data (even though I've turned of my data and I'm strictly wifi), to the poor customer service. I wanted to go to TMOBILE so bad but was afraid that I would not get LTE because I don't have the -5 model! This post just gave me hope.... I will be switching to tmobile within the week.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-14 11:50 PM
    OMG, thanks so much for this post!!! I have an unlocked white SQN100-1 that I currently use with AT&T. I have only been with them for a month and am very dissatisfied with everything from my account being listed under a random person's name, to being text literally every 30 mins saying that I've used a extra gig of data (even though I've turned of my data and I'm strictly wifi), to the poor customer service. I wanted to go to TMOBILE so bad but was afraid that I would not get LTE because I don't have the -5 model! This post just gave me hope.... I will be switching to tmobile within the week.

Posted via CB10
    Haha good luck. T-Mobile turned out to be a bad decision for me and I switched back to AT&T in 5 days. But then again, they let me have my Unlimited plan back. I switched to 10 GB just for the hotspot but I ended up wanting my unlimited since 10 GB was way too much and they let me have it back. Now my bill is only 61,99/month plus taxes, just as I had it for years. Haha

Service is great where they have it, but I soon found out that their service area is not as wide here in LA as AT&T. Often, I found myself dropping to 3G/"4G", EDGE, GPRS, and worst of all, GSM. Wtf?! I had never even seen my Q10 drop to EDGE on AT&T and suddenly I was getting voice only. Even though AT&T worked well on LTE along the sepulveda mountains and hills, and even up the hills, T-Mobile would drop my calls. There's a huge stretch where I had SOS. My friend with an iPhone on t-mobile can't even use her phone in her new home in the hills of Tarzana and she often has to communicate over Facebook on her mac. Buildings and underground levels where I normally had good service on AT&T gave me SOS on T-Mobile. Hotspot is basically useless if you don't have a good signal, as at anytime, you can be disconnected and left in SOS. Oh, best of all, when I did find myself on SOS and I swipe down to see the mobile network, it says that I'm roaming on AT&T's LTE and HSPA+ network!!! Hahaha

T-mobile store associates are pricks and are condescending, even ridiculing me collectively for moving with my BlackBerry. I specifically asked to opt out of something in their agreement but they refused to let me, even though the agreement said I was eligible to do that. Customer service reps over the phone are often clueless when I had questions. They even tried to rip me off from my refund, which was supposed to be around 60 something bucks for the 5 days prorated, and said I wouldn't get anything back. I fought that and instead of getting my refund in a cheque, I got it as a ******* Citibank MasterCard gift card more than 2 months after. I'm also annoyed by that ***** John Legere.

So, yeah, BEWARE.

Of course, your mileage may vary and the coverage and QoS, as well as their customer service, may not be a bother to you if you would much rather save money. But I would first suggest talking to AT&T if they can work out a good price for you. I did that and that's how my bill is cheap as hell!

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    07-28-14 12:12 AM
    Are you a lawyer? I hear Tarzana is really nice!

Q10 with Telus on 10.3.0.296
    07-28-14 12:28 AM
    Lol nooo I'm just a lowly Anthropologist. Haha academia will be my life going forward.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    07-28-14 12:41 AM
    Well that certainly sucks... but I think I'm gonna give it a whirl and just see what happens. I live in North Carolina so maybe the service area is different (hopefully better) in the city that I live in. The only other alternative that I have looked into was Straight Talk since they run off of AT&T towers, but they don't offer LTE.. so worse case scenario, tmobile doesn't give me LTE which I wouldn't get that with the other company anyway.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 02:40 PM
    Well that certainly sucks... but I think I'm gonna give it a whirl and just see what happens. I live in North Carolina so maybe the service area is different (hopefully better) in the city that I live in. The only other alternative that I have looked into was Straight Talk since they run off of AT&T towers, but they don't offer LTE.. so worse case scenario, tmobile doesn't give me LTE which I wouldn't get that with the other company anyway.

Posted via CB10
    That does suck! Those MVNO carriers have always puzzled me with their restrictions imposed by the primary carrier. I guess you're kind of forced to either go with magenta or pay way too much with blue. Verizon will definitely cost you (I almost switched to them after T-Mobile, but hey free Q10 haha) and Sprint will cause you way more problems.

Did you try making out a deal with AT&T? I suggest you press the key that transfers you to their "cancellations" department and see what "retention" deal they can offer you.

07-28-14 03:24 PM
    Hey... I'm just now seeing your reply but I switched to Magenta today! I have had LTE 93.672% of the time and the rest of the time I never dropped below 4G... Granted I have only been back with tmobile for a few hours but I have traversed this entire city and have not dropped below 3 bars...

But do you wanna hear something FUNNY?!??! I called AT&T and asked why my account PIN was and she said "Oh, so you must be switching carriers" in a very monotone "matter of fact" tone. I laughed and said "what gave you that idea."

Posted via CB10
    ThunderShock2005 likes this.
    07-30-14 09:22 PM
    my BBM video worked on ATT after the 10.2.1 update. I have unlimited data

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    08-08-14 04:24 PM