01-11-15 12:19 PM
104 1234 ...
tools
    Ok - I've taken some of your feedback and revised my drawing (I'll call this the Q31). For those of you who want the straight keyboard here you go.

And, I've added a fret above the track button to avoid accidental swipes.

And, I've gotten rid of the space above the standard q10 screen size (so as to leave space below the keyboard).

My Q30 fan made concept-q31.jpg

You're welcome BB design department - saved you a year of work and the risk of another non-bullseye
    clickitykeys likes this.
    01-14-14 06:45 PM
    You are suggesting the trackpad and buttons are more important than larger keys on the keyboard, or screen size. I know that would would rather use that space on key size more than buttons.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 06:48 PM
    Since there's no room to make the keyboard wider, are you suggesting stretching key size vertically to make tall rectangular keys?

I too would like a larger screen, without sacrificing overall size. (The leaked BB roadmap suggests the next Q phone will be taller). That's why I felt the space at the bottom of the phone was fair game. (Sort of like the TYPO keyboard)
    01-14-14 06:58 PM
    I would think a larger phone could be wider and taller. But the point is space is premium and I'm not sure buttons would be a priority.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 07:02 PM
    No more hard key or trackpads!

Posted via my Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925, WE WANT SQUIRCLE!
    01-14-14 07:07 PM
    Really sorry, that looks disturbing

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 07:29 PM
    I really prefer it without the trackpad. As far as highlighting text, you can still press shift and use your finger as the "trackpad." BB10 is an OS designed for touchscreen use. A track pad in BB10 is not going to give you the same experience as a trackpad in OS7.. OS7 was designed for use with a trackpad

Posted with my Q10!
    01-14-14 08:51 PM
    I'm kinda torn. I do miss the trackpad but not that much really. Everytime I grab the good old 9930 I naturally use the trackpad but everytime I grab my Q10 it still feels natural to not have it at all. Hmm....
    01-14-14 11:23 PM
    I don't like this whole touch screen (swipe-gen)/hard-button track-pad integration... it feels like we're trying too hard to do something too simple. if anything BlackBerry should just make a new OS10 phone without swipe gestures, but overall, every company is beginning to adopt less and less "physical" buttons.... hell we should be thankful that we have a proper, fluid physical keyboard phone still being produced.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    01-14-14 11:51 PM
    This phone would only be real if Q30 ran OS7
    01-14-14 11:53 PM
    This phone would only be real if Q30 ran OS7
    Subconsciously I feel that BlackBerry should continually support and keep updating OS7 devices, that way it's like a car company, you please everyone and BlackBerry still gets branded either way... idk my two cents

Posted via CB10 from my Q10
    ocgltd likes this.
    01-14-14 11:58 PM
    I'll have to pass on this one. I'm over the trackpad. Looks good though.

Posted via Q10
    01-15-14 08:27 AM
    Subconsciously I feel that BlackBerry should continually support and keep updating OS7 devices, that way it's like a car company, you please everyone and BlackBerry still gets branded either way... idk my two cents

Posted via CB10 from my Q10
    Yeah but... this is suposedly the top of the line querty phone.... OS7 should be entry level.
    01-15-14 08:46 AM
    I would love a physical end key so I can hang up instantly. Now it's swipe to wake, tap on the phone icon/app and click end call. I also hate that I have to swipe right over the end call key if I want to get to the hub when on a call. I would love the physical keys, at least for hanging up.
    ocgltd likes this.
    01-15-14 09:23 AM
    Slider!!!!! Q10 keyboard with Z10 screen estate. That will put BlackBerry back in the game. There are no such phones at the moment. Do some clever marketing, use TYPO keyboard as marketing tool instead of competition and there you go.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10
    01-15-14 09:45 AM
    I would love a physical end key so I can hang up instantly. Now it's swipe to wake, tap on the phone icon/app and click end call. I also hate that I have to swipe right over the end call key if I want to get to the hub when on a call. I would love the physical keys, at least for hanging up.
    you're screen doesn't wake up when you move the phone away from your ear?
    01-15-14 11:06 AM
    you're screen doesn't wake up when you move the phone away from your ear?
    The only time I've felt that way is if I'm using speaker phone or bluetooth. Then naturally it would not be near an ear.

Posted from my CB10 via the power of "Q"
    01-15-14 11:11 AM
    Wasn't there an app that put a little trackpad on screen?
    01-15-14 02:43 PM
    i actually wish it looks more like this:

My Q30 fan made concept-z30-04-edge.jpg
    SK122387 and Plazmic Flame like this.
    01-15-14 04:36 PM
    Bring back the 'ball' ;P

Posted via CB10
    axllebeer likes this.
    01-15-14 04:44 PM
    Bring back the 'ball' ;P

Posted via CB10
    Lol. The good Ball days...

TRACKWHEEL FOR THE WIN!

Posted from my CB10 via the power of "Q"
    01-15-14 04:53 PM
    Well, the point of my post was around physical buttons. Samsung hinted they are going back to physical buttons, and Apple's patent showed they will be converting their single button to a track pad. I'm hoping BB gets back to their roots before Apple + Samsung beat them (and all the web sites praise them for their foresight).
    01-15-14 05:16 PM
    For all the trackpad and hard keys haters out there: you may think those days are well in the past, but the strength of the BlackBerry Brand has always been that:
    - it offered up best of breed solutions to ALL its users, not just the vocal few,
    - it stood apart from the 'other' players & competitors in terms of device features & offerings,

Since the early 2000s, I've had a 6750 model with the track-wheel, a 7250 with a track-wheel and a 9800/10 with the track-pad.
    Editing, inserting and correcting text mid-sentence, and especially mid-word, was always a cinch.
    NOW I have a Z30 with an inaccurate, fussy (i.e. sometimes unpredictable), and cumbersome (speak: time-consuming) 'touch-circle' which often refuses to move accurately, easily and with my finger-swipe so I can place the cursor precisely between the correct letters within a word.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Z30 and 85% of its features.

But, "text-editing" ain't among them.
    I WILL agree that the other hard-keys aren't really necessary any longer ... but the track-pad made accurate cursor placement for text editing fast, accurate, efficient and easy.

You may all be right that it isn't coming back, BUT - and consider this:

there IS a REASON that the "other" 60 million BBRY legacy-users out there haven't migrated over to BB10 yet ... and neither the hard-key device lovers NOR the "touch-screen only" converts seem to be coming over, choosing instead to stay with their old, by now horribly outdated and slow, OS 6 & 7 units ... OR going to competitors some of whose devices 'do' and 'do not' have similar buttons..

"COULD" it "POSSIBLY" be that it the missing hard device keys (probably less likely) AND the missing Track-pad (probably more-so) are keeping legacy users from upgrading??

I'll concede that we don't know what we don't know about "those" users, but my guess is that the (phantom) lack of apps in isn't the deciding factor here, and that it's more likely to be the user-convenience factor that's driving the slow conversion & upgrade cycles.

Yogi Berra said: "if people won't come to the ball park, you can't stop them" ... but you CAN stop taking away their reasons or incentives for coming.

Just my 2 cents from our penny-less country.
    Cheers & Keep Moving!
    01-15-14 07:51 PM
    Are you on 10.2.1? I have heard Using Shift for copying text is similar to the trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 08:40 PM
    What happens when you do an up or side swipe and hit the trackpad on the way by? It could be problematic, moving selections on screen and other unintended consequences.
    The swipe up you don't have to do from the middle and the side swipe? Well, that would be redundant since you'd have a back button, short press back one step, long press back to the first page
    01-16-14 01:49 AM
104 1234 ...