I agree that q10 is still very useful. The single hand use is unmatched, the battery is user swapable, and the screen is easy to read without any need to scale. It also has the best keyboard configuration for single hand use, and frankly implements the ideal pocket phone form factories.

The Passport is also one of my favorites, but for different reasons.

Posted via CB10
    bbnrs and Doug_M like this.
    09-24-17 09:28 AM
    Ideal form factor, not factories! As shown above.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-17 09:31 AM

I can't count the number of times I said "Oh, you can't do that on your iPhone? " :-)
    Haha, I'm pretty sure it say that daily. It never ceases to amaze me all the things ios can't do.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-17 01:28 AM
    Haha, I'm pretty sure I say that daily. It never ceases to amaze me all the things ios can't do.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    11-19-17 01:29 AM
    It's really not hard to use at all. If I'm looking at a picture in my email or iMessage or FB (or whatever), I tap on share and I see the apps that I want to edit the picture in.

Relatively straightforward without giving a 3rd party app free access to browse all of my photos. Instead I choose the ones I really want to share.

If BlackBerry had invented this approach, everyone here would be boasting about how secure that is and how it improves user privacy. Because it really does improve privacy.
    So what do you do when you have a bank of files that you need access to; building on the prior example, let's say two voice notes.....one you just made, and one from two months ago, plus a Pdf explaining the original project specs that were required and the updated excel spreadsheet noting the project changes that were just made?

Can you even update an excel doc on ios? I'm honestly not even sure anymore, but I digress. How would you handle a scenario as described above? That's a daily occurrence for a lot of business folks.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-17 01:36 AM
    How would you handle a scenario as described above? That's a daily occurrence for a lot of business folks.
    You put the bank of files you need in the Files app (which is included on the phone) and open them from there.

You can edit Excel docs in Numbers (free, made by Apple), or actual Microsoft Excel, made by Microsoft and included with your Office 365 subscription.

So, what are all the things iOS can’t do, again?
    11-19-17 07:30 AM
    You put the bank of files you need in the Files app (which is included on the phone) and open them from there.

You can edit Excel docs in Numbers (free, made by Apple), or actual Microsoft Excel, made by Microsoft and included with your Office 365 subscription.

Excel for iOS is free. No Office 365 subscription needed.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    11-19-17 08:31 AM
    Excel for iOS is free. No Office 365 subscription needed.
    I stand corrected.
    11-19-17 08:47 AM
    I stand corrected.
    Why wouldn't it have Excel? It is a modern OS.
    11-19-17 08:57 AM

There is no local file manager.....are you talking about using a remote server or cloud?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-17 10:35 AM
    There is a "Files" app in iOS 11 that allows you to access and change files from cloud storage services - including iCloud - in one place and download them for offline use.

But there is still not any local file system access.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    11-19-17 11:17 AM
    Out of curiosity, does iOS give you the option to name a file when saving it?

 Passport SE SQW100-4 with Vitamin (SR) 10.3.2.2836 (OS Version) 10.3.2.2876 on AT&T
    11-19-17 12:53 PM

 Passport SE SQW100-4 with Vitamin (SR) 10.3.2.2836 (OS Version) 10.3.2.2876 on AT&T
    Great question, hadn't even thought about that. I just assumed it could do it. That's always when I get frustrated with ios though is when something seems so obvious to me, like being able to rename my files at will....

P.S. - what is Vitamin (SR)?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-17 01:11 PM
    You can in the Files app, if the underlying owner app allows it. Remember the default is apps own their own sandbox and nothing else can see or alter their part of the FS. Over time Apple has added the ability for apps to opt into more sharing, but they have to opt in.
    11-19-17 01:29 PM
    You can in the Files app, if the underlying owner app allows it. Remember the default is apps own their own sandbox and nothing else can see or alter their part of the FS. Over time Apple has added the ability for apps to opt into more sharing, but they have to opt in.
    And that's essentially the problem with the Apple mind set isn't it? Apple sees it as their data and the app's data....not your data. Just my opinion, but I shouldn't need permission from an app to manipulate my own data. Apple's mind set has always been that they know better than the user...Steve Jobs did a great interview once explaining just that, and actually specifically talking about file management. With IOS you end up still needing a laptop to do a good deal of tasks that you can do directly on BB10 (and probably on Android too). I'm sure that's by design so they can sell it to you and keep you in their ecosystem. Actually a great business model, if not as functional as it could be for the user.

Posted via CB10
    11-19-17 01:40 PM
    And that's essentially the problem with the Apple mind set isn't it? Apple sees it as their data and the app's data....not your data. Just my opinion, but I shouldn't need permission from an app to manipulate my own data. Apple's mind set has always been that they know better than the user...Steve Jobs did a great interview once explaining just that, and actually specifically talking about file management. With IOS you end up still needing a laptop to do a good deal of tasks that you can do directly on BB10 (and probably on Android too). I'm sure that's by design so they can sell it to you and keep you in their ecosystem. Actually a great business model, if not as functional as it could be for the user.

Posted via CB10
    That's really what all the major players are aiming for: pull you into their ecosystem and keep you there.

The problem with pre-Android BlackBerry devices is that they didn't have an ecosystem - at least not one compelling enough to draw people in and keep them hookeded.

It's not for lack of trying. Remember BB10 launched with the ability to purchase music and movies in BlackBerry World? And they had all kinds of programs and support in place to try to attract and keep app developers. The problem is they were trying to build a completely new ecosystem when iOS's and Android's had already been around for years and that's what most people knew and were comfortable with.

For all its faults, Apple does have a rich hardware and software ecosystem. Their devices all play really well with each other and are well-designed, well-engineered, and well-built.

Obviously, the lack of a true user-accessible file system in iOS has not been a major obstacle to its adoption and popularity. It has other strengths that people want.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    11-19-17 05:04 PM
    That's really what all the major players are aiming for: pull you into their ecosystem and keep you there.

The problem with pre-Android BlackBerry devices is that they didn't have an ecosystem - at least not one compelling enough to draw people in and keep them hookeded.

It's not for lack of trying. Remember BB10 launched with the ability to purchase music and movies in BlackBerry World? And they had all kinds of programs and support in place to try to attract and keep app developers. The problem is they were trying to build a completely new ecosystem when iOS's and Android's had already been around for years and that's what most people knew and were comfortable with.

For all its faults, Apple does have a rich hardware and software ecosystem. Their devices all play really well with each other and are well-designed, well-engineered, and well-built.

Obviously, the lack of a true user-accessible file system in iOS has not been a major obstacle to its adoption and popularity. It has other strengths that people want.

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    All very true. The vast majority of people don't need any of the business features, so its a smaller market. And you're spot on that all major players are shooting to lock you into their ecosystem and control the data now...perhaps that's the new golden rule, "he who controls the data, makes the gold." It's even happened in the desktop and server systems now. Take a look at how W10 works.

FWIW, our office has been slowly migrating away from Microsoft systems as our legacy hardware and software needs replacement. We've already scrapped all Microsoft servers because of their changes. We're using more and more Linux based systems because we just can't rely on other providers whose systems change with the wind. There's always an "update" that screws everything up, and breaks a key piece in the work flows...then it's a fire drill to keep business moving. Down time is incredibly expensive and so are our man hour costs to fix it. If a vendor removes a feature because not enough of their customers use it, but it was a critical process in your work flows, then the vendors business gets better and yours grinds to a halt. We've had that happen twice now. Our company won't do it again. We need rock solid stability and feature sets that don't change unless we decide when and if they do.

The problem we're facing now is that's MUCH tougher to accomplish in mobile. Not sure where we'll head when Bb10 gives up the ghost.....right now there isn't a clear migration path for us.

We're taking suggestions.
    11-19-17 10:43 PM
    All very true. The vast majority of people don't need any of the business features, so its a smaller market. And you're spot on that all major players are shooting to lock you into their ecosystem and control the data now...perhaps that's the new golden rule, "he who controls the data, makes the gold." It's even happened in the desktop and server systems now. Take a look at how W10 works.

FWIW, our office has been slowly migrating away from Microsoft systems as our legacy hardware and software needs replacement. We've already scrapped all Microsoft servers because of their changes. We're using more and more Linux based systems because we just can't rely on other providers whose systems change with the wind. There's always an "update" that screws everything up, and breaks a key piece in the work flows...then it's a fire drill to keep business moving. Down time is incredibly expensive and so are our man hour costs to fix it. If a vendor removes a feature because not enough of their customers use it, but it was a critical process in your work flows, then the vendors business gets better and yours grinds to a halt. We've had that happen twice now. Our company won't do it again. We need rock solid stability and feature sets that don't change unless we decide when and if they do.

The problem we're facing now is that's MUCH tougher to accomplish in mobile. Not sure where we'll head when Bb10 gives up the ghost.....right now there isn't a clear migration path for us.

We're taking suggestions.
    If Linux supported the apps I need and was easy and reliable for the average person, I'd gladly use it on my home and work computers.

The problems I've run into time and time again whenever I try a Linux distro - even a mainstream one like Ubuntu or OpenSUSE - are lack of out-of-the-box compatibility with my existing hardware and unintuitive UX.

I'm not an untechnical person, but I've had experiences with Linux where the WiFi or the monitor suddenly stop working (usually after installing updates), and it's up to me to be my own tech support and try to track down and fix the issue.

Or I can just use macOS or Windows, which, for all their faults, have been much more reliable and consitent and which have much more mainstream, 3rd party, and community support.

And for phones? I suppose you could get an Android device with an unlocked bootloader and install a custom ROM, but using a device with an unlocked bootloader - especially for business purposes - is a security risk, no matter how secure the ROM.

I can understand why some people and businesses are clinging to BB10 and BBOS - they're the last secure phones that weren't engineered with some form of mass data collection in mind. Even Apple - whose business model does not include targeted advertising - collects data for some of its products and services. I admire their stance on encryption and their commitment to protect the privacy of their customers, but at the end of the day we have to take their word for it, don't we?

Can you be 100% sure the data being collected by Apple, Microsoft, Google, even BlackBerry in limited fashion, is safe and secure? And if it is secure today, will it always be?

 BlackBerry | CLASSIC
    11-20-17 07:45 AM
    So look at it from the app developer's perspective: it's not a user accessing her data in our sandbox, it's actually a user *using another app* to access that data. Apple gives us the ability to write data into our sandbox in a way that only we can read it. That's hugely important to a lot of apps.

The other issue is customer experience. Most users just expect that if they install our apps on multiple devices or migrate from one device to another that all their stuff should just work. That gets complicated if we don't manage the files exclusively. How do we know we have the latest version, etc.

This has been a long conversation with Apple over the years (I've been part of some of this myself) to find the right balance between app developers wanting certainty that other apps cannot see our sensitive data, and our need to control the experience, but also allowing the use cases of sharing between apps.

I'm not saying what Apple is doing is perfect yet, but I don't like the idea of a system level file manager that can read (or even see) all of our files as if this is a PC. There are reasons no bank does native apps on PC's. This is one of them.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    11-20-17 09:27 AM
    I haven't talked to BB about BB10 in years. Has any major international bank ever had an app for BB10?
    Yes, the Royal Bank of Canada. It's the largest bank in Canada, has a significant US presence and is through the Carribean for certain - likely active all over the world, but I don't know that for a fact.

Notably they have dropped support (a long time ago) for their BB10 app - you can't deposit a cheque using the app, for instance, whereas both the iOS and Android versions have been able to do that for some time.

Interestingly, the bank moved away from BB10 on its mobile devices - to iOS. Rather than move to BB Android the bank moved to iOS.
    I'm not up on all the ins and outs of security, but when the largest bank in the country endorses iOS over BB Android I think that's significant.
    11-20-17 12:18 PM
    iOS is simply the best mobile OS FOR CONTENT CONSUMPTION, not for content production. Most of people use their smartphones for chatting in messengers, watching posts in instagram, and playing games. No file system needed for such purposes. But, when they talk that iPad now can replace a laptop with that "fabulous" and "revolutionary" iOS 11 feature called Files, that makes me laugh out very much loudly. Bwahahaha.

Posted via CB10
    11-26-17 04:33 AM
    Even though this thread is revolved around file manager applications, I must say that the fact that the BlackBerry Q10 packs a removable battery, physical keyboard and a headphone jack, makes it so nice to use. Oh and a microSD card slot!
    I think we can tie the headphone jack into an FM tuner as well.
    11-30-17 09:13 AM
    There’s a files app on iOS 11.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-30-17 11:02 AM
    For accessing cloud storage services, only. It doesn't access the phone's file system.
    11-30-17 01:02 PM
    Useless and bright just like Apple Watch.

Posted via CB10
    11-30-17 02:04 PM
107 1234 ...