Whether people think it was a good idea or not I've been deliberately NOT allowing the daily pop-up that says that 10.3.2.556 is ready to install. After the MASSIVE problems that still plague my BlackBerry from when AT&T forced my Q10 to install while I was on a vacation I have little belief that I wouldn't have similar issues with the next update.

A few days ago I woke up and saw the notice that my Q10 had installed the update and I need to reboot for it to finish the process. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?? The fact that it did this without my permission is exactly the kind of behavior that I am angry over in the 1st place!

How can I feel secure and in control of my own device if it will make such major changes that I can't control??

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    12-25-16 06:21 PM
    As far as I remember the American carriers all forced 10.3.2 onto their devices, AT&T included. Why is probably because of the anti-theft/kill switch features introduced in 10.3.2 to comply with California law.
    12-25-16 06:28 PM
    I know that they did that, as I mentioned I got forced to install 10.3.2.440 without even the chance to do a backup! Thankfully I was at the apartment we were staying in so it went via WiFi, otherwise it would've blown the entire data "bucket" our family plan had at the time! But it didn't even give me the option to wait until I was able to backup before it rebooted, and I lost a bunch of contacts & data. So I am slightly better off this time, as I could try to back it up 1st, as long as I'm willing to risk corrupting my master contact list in Outlook! The concern over this possible issue is what has kept me from accepting the upgrade to 10.3.2.556 on the daily pop-up in the first place!

My question is still, how was my Q10 able to install the update without me hitting the accept button?? I never even touched the phone! Does anyone know?

12-26-16 09:46 AM
    Did you check your settings to see if you have auto updates turned off?

Posted via CB10
    12-26-16 10:14 AM
    Yeah sounds like the auto update wasn't toggled off.

My Q10 just self installed10.3.2.556 without me allowing it!-img_20161226_215542.png

Posted via CB10
    12-26-16 08:56 PM
    Mine did the same thing with one of the updates. I got no notice except that it was updating. O was at work at the time. The download rendered my phone useless to me for hours. I had to keep it plugged in as the download,and install was kicking the battery.

And toggling off auto update was on of the first things I did after getting the phone to avoid exactly what I described above.
    12-26-16 09:50 PM
    No, I very deliberately have always kept auto updates turned OFF on every device I own other than definition updates for the antivirus program on my PC. I just double checked my Q10 in case it was somehow changed but it is still turned off. That's part of what worries me with this happening!

12-27-16 07:44 PM
    So does anyone know of a way to halt this or am I just going to toss the dice and reboot to let the update finish installation (and hope nothing else is screwed up!)

01-01-17 04:31 PM
    So does anyone know of a way to halt this or am I just going to toss the dice and reboot to let the update finish installation (and hope nothing else is screwed up!)

Eventually the time will come when you have to restart your device. As they used to say, why wait for spring do it now.

Posted using a Q10, 10.3.2.2474.
    01-01-17 06:40 PM
    As far as I remember the American carriers all forced 10.3.2 onto their devices, AT&T included. Why is probably because of the anti-theft/kill switch features introduced in 10.3.2 to comply with California law.
    But we are living in India not California
    01-01-17 09:43 PM
    But we are living in India not California
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    01-01-17 11:09 PM
    I guess I've been waiting in the (faint) hope that someone would have a way that I can keep the update from installing. I don't trust things that do actions that I didn't tell them to do, and especially mistrust actions made by devices when I deliberately set them up so they aren't supposed to update but they do anyway! I'm feeling let down since one of the benefits of being a BlackBerry user has historically been the level of control we have over our devices compared to the sheep using either of the major OS options. They have to pretty much get used to the fact that Google or Apple can do anything that they want to do with their phones. And of course everyone has seen how M$ forced a lot of users to "upgrade" to the spyware disguised as an OS, Windows 10.

I just thought better of BlackBerry. I know that the carriers forced BlackBerry to push 10.3.2.440 last year because of the state laws requiring a "kill switch" by 30Jun2015, but a large number of users were ticked off when they didn't have ANY warning or a chance to backup before the devices re-booted themselves! But I thought it was an isolated, unique situation. I can't even ask BlackBerry support about it since the warranty on my Q10 expired a year ago... :-(

01-02-17 02:16 PM
    The best way to prevent your carrier from pushing something that you don't want is to have something newer than what they have; 10.3.2.2xxx, or any 10.3.3 release. Whatever 10.3.2 AT&T is pushing is older than either of those two, so until they get around to their own 10.3.3 (not soon) you won't get any update notifications.
    01-02-17 02:19 PM
    I'm not trying to avoid getting the pop-ups about the update, I've been getting pop-up notifications to install the 10.3.2.556 for over a year, so I can't run anything newer than that until they actually release 10.3.3, and as I've posted, whenever I would get the notice I would just hit "remind me later". My issue is that I woke up a few weeks ago and saw that it installed anyway!

01-02-17 02:27 PM
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    Why sorry??
    01-04-17 10:40 PM
    So I guess no one has any viable suggestions? Or just heckling the person who said they were sorry I have to deal with a device somehow able to do things that the user on purpose set up properly so it WOULDN'T be able to do? I know that trolls are everywhere but thankfully I haven't seen as much juvenile behavior here! The reason I use this site is that the majority of the folks here either genuinely want to help out other BlackBerry users or they're here to either get help or to learn more about the high quality OS that the company stupidly allowed to wither away to the point of bare existence. I give thanks to those who've given me useful advice in the past and I try to ignore the immature rants the same way I would ignore the tantrum a toddler throws in public...

01-05-17 06:29 PM
    So I guess no one has any viable suggestions? Or just heckling the person who said they were sorry I have to deal with a device somehow able to do things that the user on purpose set up properly so it WOULDN'T be able to do? I know that trolls are everywhere but thankfully I haven't seen as much juvenile behavior here! The reason I use this site is that the majority of the folks here either genuinely want to help out other BlackBerry users or they're here to either get help or to learn more about the high quality OS that the company stupidly allowed to wither away to the point of bare existence. I give thanks to those who've given me useful advice in the past and I try to ignore the immature rants the same way I would ignore the tantrum a toddler throws in public...

Honestly, take the time to install 10.3.3 manually and set the device up in a way that it won't crash and burn if an update comes out; that is, move as much as you can away from BlackBerry Link and towards backup apps/attached email accounts/off-device storage. That "level of control" you keep insisting on (which isn't happening here, as evidenced by AT&T updating your phone twice) can easily be used as a reason as to why updates should be pushed, since users preventing security updates/etc. from being installed diminishes device security through leaving known holes unpatched. Both 10.3.2 (anti-theft) and 10.3.3 (not choking on Let's Encrypt SSL certificates) have such features.

These are from some support PMs:

About contact management:
    I'd recommend copying your contacts to an email account you have and use that as a sort of cloud sync.

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...8-ded54b3440ac

Dear Berry: How do I save contacts from the local address book to my synced account? | CrackBerry.com
    About cleanly installing an OS without relying on BlackBerry Link:
    0. Note down the BlackBerry ID username and password for the account connected to your phone, you'll need it. If you've forgotten your password, now's the time to change it.
    1. Download a 10.3.3.2163 autoloader: http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...rchive-943672/
    2. Extract it with this: 7-Zip
    3. Back everything up:
    3a. Decrypt the SD card (if it's present) and device memory, if they're encrypted.
    3b. Disable your device password, if you have one.
    3c. Move music, videos, pictures, documents, etc. off of device storage and onto a computer/an unencrypted SD card/cloud storage (Dropbox, Box). You can do the latter two through the File Manager app, the former when plugged into your PC.
    3d. Use Ultimate Backup for contacts, calendars, texts, and Remember notes; make sure to back up to somewhere other than phone memory, or move the backup off of the phone once it's completed. According to the blurb in BlackBerry World, it can backup contacts to VCS/CSV format, calendar to VCF/CSV format, text messages to XML/CSV format, and everything else to CSV format; in the event restoring the backup doesn't work, all of these formats are readable by common programs (Outlook, Excel, etc.), so they can still be accessible unlike the encrypted backups made by Link. If you encounter problems with Ultimate Backup your best bet is to post in the forums so that people who are more familiar with the tool can contribute.
    3e. Note down which apps you want to reinstall from BlackBerry World; taking screenshots of your app icons worked for me.
    3f. Do the same for any device settings that you feel are important to carry over.
    4. Once your data is safely backed up, plug in the phone over USB. If you haven't already, make sure your phone is recognizable by your PC; if Link recognizes it you're good to go.
    5. Exit Link, if it's open.
    6. Pull out the SIM and SD (make sure it's unencrypted!).
    7. Run the large .exe file you extracted in step 2. A command prompt window should open up with the words "Connecting to Bootrom".
    8. When the autoloader starts talking to your phone the LED will turn green. Don't touch it.
    9. As the autoloader installs, a progress bar will fill up as the files are loaded onto your phone.
    10. When it's done, the window will close and your phone will boot into 10.3.3.2163.
    11. Complete initial setup: WiFi, mobile network (reinsert the SIM), BlackBerry ID. Make sure you're using the same BlackBerry ID as in step 0.
    12. Reinstall apps from BlackBerry World as per step 3e. Make sure to get Ultimate Backup too.
    13. Restore from Ultimate Backup; copy over your backup files first.
    14. Restore media and documents from your computer/the unencrypted SD (reinsert it)/the cloud.
    In your situation, you can do all the backup steps (3a-3f + the first quote), reboot, see if 10.3.2.556 set your house on fire, and then install 10.3.3 anyway now that you know how to keep your data backed up without having to rely on that travesty Link.
    petkovst likes this.
    01-05-17 06:46 PM