I'm from Toronto and went to Future Shop(weston rd & 401). I get there and ask if they have the Q-10 for fido. They girl behind the counter says yes and pulls one out. So I pull out my debit card and tell her that I want to buy it out right. She looks at me and says not possible. I ask for the manager and he says the same.

I call FIDO and tell them I need a phone because my current phone is broken she says "go to fido store with a reference number, they can't refuse you". I get to the FIDO(westside mall on Eglington) store and once again I ask the person working there if they have the q-10 for sale she says yes goes to the back. Then she refuses to sell me the phone outright. I called the lady back on the phone with reference number and let her talk to the sales lady. Still no luck now I lose my patience with the lady on the phone for making me drive there and I explain to her that there is a rogers store connected to the Fido store and it would be cheaper for me to just port over to ROGERS. Contract buy out on fido was 217 and rogers has q-10 on sale for 199 on 3 year so it world cost me 420 for the q-10 as opposed to the 740. She tells me "NO, NO NO sir we will get this fixed please wait on hold. Me determined to get this q-10 TODAY I go into the rogers store next door and wait in line with the customer service lady on hold ready to port over to rogers and save some money. After about five minutes in line and on hold the lady from the fido store comes to the rogers store window and calls me out and says they will now sell me the phone...

So I got my Q-10 But I'm disgusted at the measures I had to take to buy a 740 dollar product with my hard earned money. I'm also pissed that FIDO & FUTURE SHOP would refuse to sell a BLACKBERRY. I wonder what stock holders and RIM would do if they knew how these stores are making it virtual impossible to buy...

But O well I GOT MY Q-10!!!! PiiiiiiiiiiiiiMP!
    05-01-13 05:54 PM
    Least you go it. Being number 6 on fido preorder means u have to wait till my local fido feels like driving 15 minutes to pick mine up from the depot.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 06:05 PM
    that sucks man. I would totally be pissed off too. but hey you got the Q10 now so sit back and enjoy!
    05-01-13 06:06 PM
    Congrats on your determination and your new BlackBerry Q10.
    diegonei likes this.
    05-01-13 06:10 PM
    I don't agree with this either, but I found that smaller shops don't want to sell their inventory like that, I guess they make more money on their commission of selling you a contract. I had this when trying to get a Galaxy Note 2 in December. So this is not a Blackberry thing, this is a greedy carrier/dealer thing and all popular phones seem to be subject to it.
    05-01-13 06:11 PM
    I understand why Future Shop wouldn't but not why the Fido store gave you an issue. Well, all said and done you got your nice new Q10 so congrats. I hope you love it.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 06:14 PM
    And the Canadian Wireless Companies continue to wonder why their customer services ratings are always in the toilet. Go figure...
    05-01-13 06:16 PM
    This is why apple opened their own retail locations.
    05-01-13 06:18 PM
    I'm from Toronto and went to Future Shop(weston rd & 401). I get there and ask if they have the Q-10 for fido. They girl behind the counter says yes and pulls one out. So I pull out my debit card and tell her that I want to buy it out right. She looks at me and says not possible. I ask for the manager and he says the same.

I call FIDO and tell them I need a phone because my current phone is broken she says "go to fido store with a reference number, they can't refuse you". I get to the FIDO(westside mall on Eglington) store and once again I ask the person working there if they have the q-10 for sale she says yes goes to the back. Then she refuses to sell me the phone outright. I called the lady back on the phone with reference number and let her talk to the sales lady. Still no luck now I lose my patience with the lady on the phone for making me drive there and I explain to her that there is a rogers store connected to the Fido store and it would be cheaper for me to just port over to ROGERS. Contract buy out on fido was 217 and rogers has q-10 on sale for 199 on 3 year so it world cost me 420 for the q-10 as opposed to the 740. She tells me "NO, NO NO sir we will get this fixed please wait on hold. Me determined to get this q-10 TODAY I go into the rogers store next door and wait in line with the customer service lady on hold ready to port over to rogers and save some money. After about five minutes in line and on hold the lady from the fido store comes to the rogers store window and calls me out and says they will now sell me the phone...

So I got my Q-10 But I'm disgusted at the measures I had to take to buy a 740 dollar product with my hard earned money. I'm also pissed that FIDO & FUTURE SHOP would refuse to sell a BLACKBERRY. I wonder what stock holders and RIM would do if they knew how these stores are making it virtual impossible to buy...

But O well I GOT MY Q-10!!!! PiiiiiiiiiiiiiMP!
    I am happy that you got your phone. I think they have very limited stock and they make more commission on selling plans than actual phones. I am sure this is their "Standard" policy for anu new phone whether it is iphone samsung or blackberry

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
    05-01-13 06:20 PM
    I understand why Future Shop wouldn't but not why the Fido store gave you an issue. Well, all said and done you got your nice new Q10 so congrats. I hope you love it.

Posted via CB10
    I am not sure how it is with Fido, however with Rogers many of the locations, even ones that look corporate, are not. They are just dealers.

When I tried to buy that device and they would not allow me, I agreed to sign a contract and open a new account. When I got the device home, I found that the volume rocker was broken, which falls within the 15 day DOA. I went back to the rogers store, they refused to exchange it, despite corporate Rogers 611 saying that the store was obligated to take the phone back within 15 days and exchange it. In the end Rogers mailed me one because I refused to make another trip just to get stuck in the middle of Corporate Rogers & Dealer Rogers.
    nabatron likes this.
    05-01-13 06:36 PM
    It's shame full that they advertise one thing and tell you another in person. I felt like a criminal trying to buy something that was 740 dollars. Honestly I learned a good lesson today about stores that don't give two sharts about customers. FUTURESHOP is dead to me and FIDO will not get future buisness from me.

Bottom line is that I got it and it was worth it. No matter how people say the Z-10 keyboard is amazing(for touch screen it is) nothing feels better typing on a keyboard.

Posted via CB10
    archpopoy and irweezyy like this.
    05-01-13 06:47 PM
    Future Shop told me the same thing as well, only available on activation or upgrade.

Posted via CB10
    05-01-13 07:59 PM
    ^sorry about that.

I wonder if you tell them you want to upgrade and use your fido dollars & pay the difference. Since they say you can use your fido dollars to upgrade..
    05-01-13 08:32 PM
    Rogers and Fido are the same company (and network) anyways so your hard earned $$ is still going to Rogers regardless. I personally despise Rogers and switched to Telus in mid-contract just so I wouldn't have to deal with them anymore.
    05-01-13 08:39 PM
    Ya it really depends on the store location. When i got my z10 i was able to buy it out right, but i could tell they weren't thrilled about it. I think the only reason they did was because i was there at like 10:30 in the morning, so i was probably their first sale. Hard to refuse $630 first thing in the morning. But when i checked at future shop later that day, they would only sell it on contract.

401 and weston is a pretty ghetto area though. I always find the more posh areas tend to have better customer service . Shoulda gone downtown.
    05-01-13 08:47 PM
    So glad I'm lucky enough to be with SaskTel. They don't play games with me at all. I've been with them for over 5 years without any hassles, except this one lady who was having a bad call centre day. The only downside is being in Saskatchewan. Just joking, lol, it's rad here.
    05-01-13 09:59 PM
    I heart Saskatchewan
    05-01-13 09:59 PM
    I'm not very familiar with Canadian carriers, but why didn't you just switch and save some money?
    05-01-13 10:10 PM
    or call ahead and make sure it wouldn't be an issue. i have never had a problem when i call ahead and get the name of the rep.

I'm not very familiar with Canadian carriers, but why didn't you just switch and save some money?
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    05-01-13 10:28 PM
    This is why I never bother buying anything from futureshop anymore. Also fido has the worst customer service ever, worse than their parent company. Every Time I have a minor issue i have to be ping ponged to several departments without any resolve.
    richardat likes this.
    05-01-13 10:29 PM
    ^ I ultimately didn't switch because Fido has a better monthly package then ROGERS. However if the lady from Fido didn't come to the Rogers window I would have switched. Plus she was cute lol.

Yeah lol Weston and 401 is pretty ghetto but it was beside my mechanics shop that I went to in the morning. Now that I think of it the Fido store eglington and caledonia is pretty ghetto as well. Yeah it makes perfect sense to go to bigger more posh stores. I hate dealing with young people in retail they dont give a shart.

But know knowing its only 217 for me to buy out my contract I will unlock this Q and go to whoever has best deals. I just wish wind was on LTE.

Posted via CB10
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    05-01-13 10:32 PM
    This is normal behavior for many dealers. I hate it, but I've come to accept it. Been that way for years with a new device launch. Some will never sell it outright. With my Z10 I ended up paying an inflated price to a craigslist seller. With the Q10 I signed a new 3 year contract with TELUS/Future Shop today. I will cancel that line tomorrow and pay the device balance. Basically it works out to the same as the outright price, except I had to buy a $10 sim and I need to pay for a month of service. Oh and they put another inquiry on my credit even though I'm already a TELUS customer. I'm happy to have the device in hand though.

As much as I like to blame the dealers, I think the carrier and/or the manufacturers are to blame as well. The problem with the outright price is that the dealer doesn't make any money on it. The only way they make anything is by selling a contract which earns them a commission. So from their point of view, why would they sell an in-demand device that they could easily sell later that day for full commission. It's annoying, but it's the reality of the Big 3.
    05-01-13 11:10 PM
    I would've signed up with Rogers right then and there with both the rep watching you and the CS woman on the phone listening and then just hang up. It's ridiculous what some of us have to go through to spend our money. Glad you got it though and hope you're loving your new phone.

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 08:28 AM
    ^that would have been gangster I wonder if she would have stayed on hold with. The rogers line 4 people in front of me..

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 02:44 PM
    Had this happen to me but I pre ordered the phone. Went to pick it up and they wouldn't sell it to me outright. Ridiculous

Posted via CB10
    05-02-13 10:13 PM
41 12