People compare the Q10 to the other heavy hitters on the market because.... well THEY ARE IN THE SAME MARKET. Z10, Q10, S3, S4, HTC One, iPhone 5, 4s.... all have the same things in common. They all have keyboards, they all make calls, they all use "apps", they all can email, text, and browse the internet. q10 is hardware keyboard everything else is software... Q10 has for more disadvantages on paper than advantages... it really comes down to how much you value a hardware keyboard...
    Being in the same market does not mean the same target market or market segment.

By your notion yes you're correct. However a lot of people don't equate the other measures of modern smartphones:

Dual-Band WiFi (iPhone 5 end users cannot control and has caused numerous of connectivity issues at the high-end hotels in NYC, Florida, Illinois, California etc.) as those hotels don't support Dual-Band (both 2.5 & 5 Ghz).

DLNA (all you've mentioned has this)

Expandable & Total Storage (Z10, Q10, S3 & S4 have this, HTC One & IP5 don't)
    - 16+64GB = 80GB of total storage.

RAM
    - Z10, Q10, S3 & S4 and the HTC One all have 2GB RAM, IP5 doesn't.

NFC
    - all but the iP5 have it.

Removable Battery:
    - Z10, Q10, S3 & S4 have this, the other two do not. In fact neither HTC nor Apple directly have extendable battery chargers for travelling; they rely on third parties.

OS Support:
    Only Apple and BlackBerry make their own firmware/OS and directly support them.
    - the others you'll need to contact NOT the manufacturer for updates and bug fixes, sorry you'll NEED to contact your service provider - a middleman - and go through agonizing process of lame troubleshooting, warranty replacements for buggy firmware/hw combo's, then wait for working firmware to be "officialized" by your carrier - enjoy waiting 2-4mths going by previous history for S3 for JB and many other manufacturers.

So please state what disadvantages the Q10 really has besides the screen size, resolution, and how many users purchased its predecessor vs the competition. Also what REALLY can you choice of other device do that we cannot on any BB10 device - specifically that is NOT 3rd party software related because all it takes is a savy team of developers to bring said feature/function over to BB10.
    Shoryuken and Jake Storm like this.
    04-25-13 11:37 PM
    How can a nexus 4 sell for 350$ outright but a q10 and Z10 with worse specs sell for double. I have a Z10 and support BlackBerry but their pricing is horrific

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 05:45 AM
    I also don't think it is fair to use the Nexus 4 for pricing comparison (that said, how can anyone pass up such a great deal if they want a phone?) but in any case, if you went to the University of Waterloo and are such a BlackBerry fan, surely you know someone who works there and can get you one for employee pricing when the Q10 is available?
    04-26-13 11:39 AM
    Here's a thought guys: wait a bit. The prices come down. They always do.
    I used to sell computers in the 90's when technology was changing virtually every 3 months. Customers would often say, if I wait will the price go down?
    My reply was, you had better buy it now BEFORE the price goes down! (always followed that with a chuckle).
    Needless to say, I received a lot of funny looks.
    I told them the price on electronics will always go down, but don't deny yourself the enjoyment and excitement of owning it now!
    So, yes the price will come down on the Q10. They already have on the Z10. But for me, it was worth not waiting. This phone is great!!
    04-26-13 12:03 PM
    how much do u pay a month on a 2yr contract?
    04-26-13 12:21 PM
    http://geizhals.at/eu/blackberry-q10...z-a898527.html

prices drop every day. Startet around 700? now ~580?

I think the Q10 will be as expensive as the Z10 in Mid June.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 12:31 PM
    meh i have been to countries where people shell out a months salary for a phone. I can pay for the q10 in a days wage easy.
    04-26-13 12:43 PM
    How can a nexus 4 sell for 350$ outright but a q10 and Z10 with worse specs sell for double. I have a Z10 and support BlackBerry but their pricing is horrific
    Google are selling the thing at cost because they do not need to make money on the hardware for that device to serve its purpose, it is silly to complain about BB pricing based on that device.
    Omnitech likes this.
    04-27-13 05:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    BB can sell their new phones at a particular price point because users like you "support blackberry" - For myself the Q10 phone has the best OS and a physical KB. The Z10 has the best OS and is sold on the carrier that I use. As a semi frugal person I will probably wait until I have paid off my current 9900 under contract.
    04-27-13 09:31 AM

Posted via CB10
    everyone knows the nexus 4 isn't the `rule` but the exception when it comes to pricing. the Z10 and Q10 off contract prices are very close to other devices like the HTC One, SGS4 etc, so you argument can be applied to much any new phone Vs the nexus 4.

As for specs (and we`ll disregard how different OS`s use differing ammounts of system resources), I have LTE on my BB10 phones, hows the nexus4 looking now? lol
    04-27-13 10:13 AM
    Dang. Things escalated quickly

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 10:55 AM
    hm...don't think its 350 on contract. i think its 250.

Mr. Heins,

Let me start by saying Thank You. What you have churned out in 1 year, has been far more significant in comparison to what was done int he few years preceding your leadership.

My love for Blackberry stated at a very young age. Research in Motion as it was known was the biggest reason I chose the University of Waterloo. MY first blackberry I myself could afford was a Pearl.

Then, I got a Curve and then the 8800. I still have the curve and the 8800. They work mighty fine. I may just have convinced the whole world that Blackberry was the way to go. The keyboard gave a feeling or empowerment. As a student, I felt like I was what Kevin dubs a 'mover and shaker'.

You brought to us the Bold and that changed everything. Then, came Apple. I was defiant. I stayed the course. then the 3G and then 3GS and Android. I stayed the course. LIke many, I went astray when the iPhone 4 came out. Heck, I got a job at Apple Retail. I still had a blackberry. There were still so many people on BBM.

Then the fall happened. Blackberry wasn't where it needed to be. there were Galaxy's of phones and iPhones everywhere. You released the 9900 and I remember August 8, 2011 when I was moving to a different part of the country and Kevin put up an update saying he found a Bold 9900 at a store in Winnipeg. I called every store and found one in Red Deer, Alberta as I made my way to Vancouver. I bought it. It was mine. I was so proud.

Then, I realized that there were no Apps. I bought the iPhone 4S after that. I also had a blackberry through work that I cherish to this day.

My father used a Blackberry at that point and so did my Mother.

The Z10 was good. Really good. You put everything you had in it but, I waited for the Q10. I'm thrilled. It beautiful. its everything I imagined it would be.

In a world where one can freely buy a Nexus 4 for 350 + shipping and taxes, FIDO (my provider) is charging me $350 before taxes on a 2 year contract. My love for Blackberry runs deep. Unfortunately for them, I am also educated.

I am being asked to fork out the same amount of money for a stock Android phone that does a bit more, all for a QWERTY keyboard. If it wasn't after using a playbook, it is now that my faith in Blackberry is shaken. You do realize that the Nexus 4 starts at 350 + taxes, unlocked and outright?

A move like this, is a slap in the face of a user that has always been a blackberry user. This time, after all this wait, it has hurt. I want a Q10. Will I pay $350 to lock myself into a 2 year contract? No Sir. I can not in good conscience do that.
    The argument can be that the Q10 had more space and 4G and a physical Keyboard. Well, they have more Apps.

The Q10 is your flagship phone and no amount of marketing will change that. You know it and we all know it. You want it in every persons hands? Only you can make it happen. Kevin nicknamed the Q10 the 'Cash Cow' That may be. But, it's not fair. It taking undue advantage of those that have been faithful to Blackberry.

I sincerely hope that you will do something about this.
    04-27-13 11:05 AM
    Just wait for the curve version then you cheapo... Q10 is for the "haves"
    mountainman likes this.
    04-27-13 11:52 AM
    Wait a little while. I'm also with Fido and after the release of the Z10 the price was $350 but near the end of February early March the price dropped to $250 on a 2 year contract . Now it's back up to $350 though. Hopefully this drop will happen again. Which it will, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-13 09:52 PM
    still Q10 price is over here in Pakistan unlocked Q10 price is $1100 and Z10 price is $600. almost double lol
    04-28-13 03:10 PM
    What an amusing thread. To the OP, the Q10 is the fastest phone of the planet. None of the phones you mentioned can touch it when it comes to the speed of getting things done. The keyboard shortcuts along put it above the competition. That is what BB is all about. being productive. If the Q10 cost too much for you, you cal always take your business elsewhere. But your sense of entitlement leads me to believe you should move to America and maybe run for congress.
    elgolfman, Omnitech and wasabiGT like this.
    04-28-13 03:25 PM
    With respect to contract pricing, I've never seen it as a big deal. I've had the same service provider since 2001 and never felt the need to own a phone outright vs. subsidized. Maybe it's because I've always been happy with my service. Am I missing something? Just never thought a contract was that big a deal. I would certainly not let it keep me from getting the phone I want/need.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 04:15 PM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Q10 is an AMAZING phone ... worth every penny! ... want!!!!!!
    04-28-13 05:58 PM
    What an amusing thread. To the OP, the Q10 is the fastest phone of the planet. None of the phones you mentioned can touch it when it comes to the speed of getting things done. The keyboard shortcuts along put it above the competition. That is what BB is all about. being productive. If the Q10 cost too much for you, you cal always take your business elsewhere. But your sense of entitlement leads me to believe you should move to America and maybe run for congress.
    Fanboyism... At it's finest!! Lol... Thanks for the laugh

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    04-28-13 07:09 PM
    Said the person on a Crackberry forum using an HTC. Now that's funny.

Fanboyism... At it's finest!! Lol... Thanks for the laugh

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    04-28-13 08:12 PM
    meh i have been to countries where people shell out a months salary for a phone. I can pay for the q10 in a days wage easy.
    Got any work I can do for you over the web? That's an impressive paycheck.
    04-28-13 09:39 PM
    People just need to control their compulsive consumer habits. A month after the Z10 came out, preowned units were available from carriers for $200 less than retail price of $700 and still came with a warranty. Patience is key.
    04-28-13 10:36 PM
    I love how people compare every phone out there on the market with the Nexus 4. That's the most ridiculous comparison anyone could ever make.

So for this argument, every company out there should heavily subsidize their devices and offer the handsets at 250-300 unlocked and make no profit from the device components and R&D.

Maybe that's why people who make this comparison aren't the CEOs of such companies.

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 10:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Worse specs?? Please tell me about it

Posted via CB10
    04-28-13 10:47 PM
    Price, price, price

If you can not afford it, then you should not own it is my philosophy.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-28-13 10:49 PM
60 123