BlackBerry Q10 Isn't the Smartphone to Buy: 10 Reasons Why

This coming from an apple fanboy (blackberry fanboy aswell, waiting for the q10) love both brands however I couldn't help but post this garbage article on here. I just can't fathom the reasoning used against the q10. How do journalists like this person have a job in the first place

Post your thoughts
    03-15-13 04:25 AM
    Another for the collection.

The shorts are getting nervous, the fanbois are getting tense.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-15-13 04:55 AM
    I cant take serious a person who names two reason as new samsung is coming and so does iphone
    nickthebold and kbz1960 like this.
    03-15-13 05:09 AM
    bash him on tweeter...
    03-15-13 05:35 AM
    for me, the article has a lot of valid points - time will tell and as much I�m awaiting the release of the Q10, it will remain a very special phone for very special people ;-) and it is not intended to compete in the mass market with all the other full touch / big screens out there.

physical keyboard is loosing ground, even at die hard BB fans, consumer likes media-enabled devices and touch. And to be honest, the communication / information from Blackberry about facts and features of the Q10 is not gold standard ...

1. There’s a physical keyboard - FACT!

2. Smaller screen - FACT!

3. Is BlackBerry 10 for consumers or enterprise users? - QUESTION / OPINION

4. Mum’s the word - FACT!

5. The Z10 is coming first - FACT!

6. A new Galaxy S is coming - FACT!

7. So is a new iPhone - FACT!

8. A scrunched down software experience - OPINION

9. A lack of apps - FACT!

10. It’s already the other BlackBerry - OPINION

so - should he been bashed for the facts or his opinion - please advice... ;-(

Chris
    smartbuddy likes this.
    03-15-13 05:52 AM
    it's not so much the facts,,, it's just that they are no reason, let alone 10 of them, not to buy one...
    BBMak likes this.
    03-15-13 06:10 AM
    on a very personal base - of cause NOT - on a bigger market view perspective MAY BE
    03-15-13 06:26 AM
    true talk...the q10 is bein treated like the ugly step child
    Chris Marsch likes this.
    03-15-13 06:35 AM
    Points 5 6 7 8 and 10 have absolutely no relevance. Maybe ill start writing articles about every single phone that's coming out from any brand and just say "the reason not to get this phone is because a new galaxy and iphone are coming ...eventually" - it would just be an endless cycle
    03-15-13 07:19 AM
    Some should quote them to deny page hits there. I'm not adding to it.
    Savior4Life likes this.
    03-15-13 07:47 AM
    I don't see much of a problem with that article. The points they make seem to be pretty spot on. The conclusions that they draw from the points may be up for debate though.

From my perspective, 2 of their "negatives" are actually points that draw me to the Q10. Keyboard and screen size. I like a smaller phone, it's one of the main reasons I went with an iPhone instead of one of the flagship Androids. And the keyboard has always been Blackberry's niche IMO. I know I'm in the minority, and I think the Q10 will be a niche device. But if the software and app situation improve, it could be MY niche device.
    Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    03-15-13 08:42 AM
    I don't see much of a problem with that article. The points they make seem to be pretty spot on. The conclusions that they draw from the points may be up for debate though.

From my perspective, 2 of their "negatives" are actually points that draw me to the Q10. Keyboard and screen size. I like a smaller phone, it's one of the main reasons I went with an iPhone instead of one of the flagship Androids. And the keyboard has always been Blackberry's niche IMO. I know I'm in the minority, and I think the Q10 will be a niche device. But if the software and app situation improve, it could be MY niche device.
    Come on man, this article is rediculous. Who is surprise that Rim/Blackberry made a phone with a physical keyboard and a small screen?(Really). I guess I was looking for more substance. Like the device has a cheap plastic feel to it or the typing on the keyboard is sub par.(I am not saying the device feels cheap or the keyboard is sub par, but you get the gist.)
    gwalk likes this.
    03-15-13 09:19 AM
    Come on man, this article is rediculous. Who is surprise that Rim/Blackberry made a phone with a physical keyboard and a small screen?(Really). I guess I was looking for more substance. Like the device has a cheap plastic feel to it or the typing on the keyboard is sub par.(I am not saying the device feels cheap or the keyboard is sub par, but you get the gist.)
    What is rediculous [sic] about the article exactly? Some fact and some opinion. It's an article just like any other. How many Q10 sales will it take to prove the article wrong in your opinion?
    03-15-13 10:18 AM

The Q10 market is small but at least BB has it to itself. I too think that the lack of screen size is a problem. My sense is that a 3.5 inch screen would have sold in greater numbers. At least we have a choice. The article should have been along the lines that the Q10 is the best physical key phone in the world. Mike you can't get a small niche phone with Apps.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 03-15-13 at 10:35 AM.
    03-15-13 10:24 AM
    The Q10 market is small but at least BB has it to itself. I too think that the lack of screen size is a problem. My sense is that a 3.5 inch screen would have sold in greater numbers. At least we have a choice. The article should have been along the lines that the Q10 is the best physical key phone in the world. Mike you can't get a small niche phone with Apps.
    I don't need a ton of apps, just the ones that are important to me. Back when I got my 9700, it had most of the important (to me) apps of 2010. It looks like it's going to be a lot different with the Q10, but I'll have to wait and see.
    03-15-13 10:50 AM
    What's ridiculous is that no one here seems to know how to spell ridiculous
    03-15-13 10:55 AM
    What is rediculous [sic] about the article exactly? Some fact and some opinion. It's an article just like any other. How many Q10 sales will it take to prove the article wrong in your opinion?
    1,2,4,5,6, and 7 are ridiculous because if you are looking at the Q10, then you are probably looking for a keyboard device. And they only need to sell two phones(one for me and one for you) for the article to be proven wrong.
    Last edited by WillHeSurvive; 03-15-13 at 11:24 AM.
    03-15-13 11:05 AM
    What's ridiculous is that no one here seems to know how to spell ridiculous
    Darn spell check!
    03-15-13 11:07 AM
    true talk...the q10 is bein treated like the ugly step child
    Why - because it isn't done and out yet?
    03-15-13 11:17 AM

Same here. I can't type on glass well. I've given it nine months now and don't like it much. The keys are an appeal. The screen is nice, but I go between big and small devices all the time. The replaceable battery is also key.

My main concern with Q10 is exactly one: What will the app situation be like? I know that's a general BlackBerry problem, but I have concerns over the extent the developers will adapt their apps specifically for that odd screen aspect ratio.
    03-15-13 11:20 AM
    The QWERTY market is indeed small compared to the touch screen market, but also too large to ignore. Anyone seriously think at least 70 million of the BlackBerry OS customers aren't running QWERTY devices?
    03-15-13 11:21 AM
    The author is basically trying to advise people against buying a BlackBerry, but it is disguised as a specific attack on the Q10. The target market for the Q10 is highly specific - those who are into messaging and have to use a physical keyboard, because there are very few reasonable alternatives available (leaving OS7 devices out of the picture). So there are two groups:

1. Those who know they will get a BB10 - the question for many of them will be whether to get a Q10 or Z10. This involves the balancing of factors: screen size, keyboard type, app availability. Points 1, 2, 4, 5, and 8 are for this group.
    2. Those who are considering BB10, iOS, Android, and WP8. This group is much more likely to be focused on the Z10 than the Q10. Points 6, 7, and 9 is for them.

Points 3 and 10 are relevant to nothing. Overall, this is a good way for the author to lose his credibility.

Tl;dr version: Only a select category of buyers will consider the Q10 and will only be comparing it with the Z10. Everyone else will not interested in the Q10's existence.
    03-15-13 12:02 PM
    One thing that many seem to be missing is that it's been awhile since a really big keyboard phone has been released.

The Bold 9900 is a great phone, but it was on the old platform and the company was already in trouble by the time it was released. I don't think there's been a really good keyboard phone with a touchscreen and a current OS released since.

There may be a lot of pent-up demand for a keyboard phone with competitive technology and a good touch OS. I guess we're about to find out.

Posted via CB10
    nickthebold likes this.
    03-15-13 02:11 PM
    A "Blackberry" or "Treo" type device will never have a large screen because it just isn't possible in that form factor, unless you make a rather ridiculously top-heavy thing.

One of the characteristics that always appealed to me about that form factor was that you never have to change the orientation of the device. You always know how to pick it up, hold it, use it, you're never moving it back/forth between horizontal/vertical, it's efficient that way.

I like the idea of a vertical slider, but it still suffers from the latency of having to open/close the keyboard, and most sliders have inferior keyboards because the keyboard has to be built into a very shallow surface, and in addition to that, you don't have the bulk of the body of the device to rest your hand upon either.

After having put up with a terribly slow and small-screened web capability on my smartphones over the last 5+ years, I'm looking forward finally to a device that I can open webpages with reasonable speed and actually be able to see things. So the Z10 appeals in that way.

On the other hand, I'm not a fan of typing on glass either. But I have reservations about the Q10's appeal for me due to the following:

• Smallish screen
    • Elimination of "flick up the words" feature of Z10 keyboard
    • Need to constantly move between keyboard and screen gestures to get things done. Inefficient.

Yeah, apparently there will be a rudimentary "word guessing" feature on the Q10, but A) it's not above the keys your fingers are hovering over, it's back up to the screen and there are only going to be 2-3 choices available at any one time - very very limited compared to Z10 on-screen keyboard innovations.

The most interesting feature will be keyboard shortcut commands. But I'm not convinced that trumps the issues in the above list.
    jimmyjyc likes this.
    03-15-13 03:46 PM
    If you have a PB the phone screen size is much less of an issue. I use my phone to triage messages; quick response on phone, view attachments mainly on PB or laptop. 3 inch screen is fine for this.
    In fact a Nexus 7 can be used in much the same way using mobile hotspot where wifi isn't available, and the HDMI out will work with all my monitors.
    As phones get stupidly big, I expect the two-gadget solution to get more popular.
    03-15-13 04:04 PM
68 123