08-31-13 06:53 PM
43 12
tools
    Hi all,

As an avid keyboard lover and admirer of large screens, I really want BlackBerry to make physical keyboard with a LARGER screen! I think there are many of you who would agree. So below I present to you my concept for a Q11, that is a page taken out of iPhone 5's book - make the screen TALLER. I know there have been many concept phones with really cutting edge designs, which for the most part, aren't realistic. My design is a little conservative, but it can definitely be made.

I have placed a concept of the Q11 next to a Q10 and Z10 just so we can see the relative size difference. Below are some details:
    -4:3 aspect ratio (960x720), approximately 3.6" display size
    -option to toggle on landscape video/game viewing, so that a video/game would be the only time you would use the phone sideways (games could still utilize the keyboard sideways, left hand uses hard keys while right hand uses virtual buttons, or vice versa)
    -an extra row of icons on the home screen, as well as larger active frames!

Let me know what you guys think. I know some people are a fan of sliders (as am I) but many are not, and there are issues with thickness and sliding mechanisms. So this is the best of both worlds, that is not a fairy concept you would only dream of. BlackBerry could actually MAKE this product as the Q11. If anyone notes any flaws, please post below, otherwise BlackBerry make this phone next year!!

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails The most realistic Q11 concept-blackberry-q10-32.jpg  
    Last edited by iamagod; 01-17-14 at 10:38 AM.
    deroubry, 93Aero, phuoc and 3 others like this.
    08-24-13 03:10 PM
    I think a screen that tall would take it out of balance unless the whole thing becomes a bit wider, don't you think?

Nice, though.
    08-24-13 03:15 PM
    I would definitely get that Q11 if they made it.
    Add landscape view.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 03:17 PM
    I would definitely get that Q11 if they made it.
    Add landscape view.

Posted via CB10
    A slider would be perfect for that it seems. Best of both worlds

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    08-24-13 03:37 PM
    I guess opinions would differ on this, but I do prefer a square screen format. For a portrait keyboard device I wouldn't want to use it in landscape view at all, with the keyboard on the right, I might look pretty weird. Personally I am not a fan of longer phones since it would be very difficult to reach the top of the display, and it will lose a lot of one-handed ease of use. The difference between the lowest point of input (the spacebar), and bezel above the screen will be larger than on the Z10.

Again, this is just my personal preference, I could see people liking a longer screen on the Q10. In regards to the concept, I think the overall look of the device would improve if the area above the screen is shorter.
    08-24-13 04:00 PM
    Very nice concept, and I agree with your design rational. I like the idea of a larger screen, but retain the keyboard. This design would be my second choice. My first would be a Z10, that is converted to a slider. Use it like a Z10, and then with you need to do some power typing, slid open the keyboard and fly. I have used (am using) a 9810 long past its prime, but still love it and am very productive on it. I am hoping the slider concept becomes reality before our company agrees to let us update to BB10 phones.

Your Q11 concept would be nice, as I would like both the larger screen
    08-24-13 04:32 PM
    I kinda like the Q11 concept in the thumbnail, needs to be a little wider......my opinion anyway
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    08-24-13 04:33 PM
    I think a screen that tall would take it out of balance unless the whole thing becomes a bit wider, don't you think?

Nice, though.
    THIS. It has to be a bit wider to avoid the "remote control" feeling.

Posted via CB10
    Esiole and npunk42 like this.
    08-24-13 04:54 PM

Nice, though.
    That's kind of what I was thinking as well. Looks a little top heavy like that. I like the idea of a bigger screen on a Q though for sure.
    08-24-13 05:08 PM
    I'd buy it.

Cranky
    08-24-13 05:17 PM
    That's why my 9810 is being used as a physical exercise phone mp3. I always found the 9810 too tall and narrow, I avoided opening the slider at all cost. But yeah agreed I can see the Q11 being a bit wider.
    08-24-13 05:18 PM
    where's the "blade" concept? we need phones that attract the attention of the consumer right off the bat...
    08-24-13 05:29 PM
    I thing its stupid idea to change only its size, like an iphone, it;s bad idea. We need to fresh it's looks and features
    08-24-13 06:14 PM
    Trackpad! Phone key! End key!

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 06:22 PM

Nice, though.
    It does look a bit awkward but if it's weighted properly, it would be much appreciated and the awkward look would turn into the "just right" look very quickly. The trick would be to distribute the weight between the top half and bottom half just right so typing would not feel like the phone could fall out of your hands easily.
    08-24-13 06:28 PM

Nice, though.
    I don't know its about the same size as the Z10 and I really think it could support being made the same size as the Z30. But! The body needs to have an aluminum wrap on in, the shape needs to be a hard edged rectangle and the back and front need to be glass, offered in Black, White, Blue and Red.To maximize the screen though, I would push the keyboard almost right to the bottom of the phone and the speaker at the top right to the edge of the top of the phone. This way the phone doesn't have to go to the size of the Z30 but it still get a larger screen and a fantastic physical keyboard.
    08-24-13 06:30 PM
    I kinda like the Q11 concept in the thumbnail, needs to be a little wider......my opinion anyway
    I would have thought that too, but Apple's iPhone 5 proved a stretch to a popular design can also be popular. I'd have too get my mind around the overall look, but I can see how that design brings features that represent the best of both worlds.
    08-24-13 06:36 PM
    BlackBerry should only make 2 sizes of phones, maybe 3 (A10) and that's it. Accessory makers can't make it like that if every phone is different. Why do you think the iPhone has 28838356372 different accessories?

Marketing is everything
    08-24-13 06:52 PM
    BlackBerry should only make 2 sizes of phones, maybe 3 (A10) and that's it. Accessory makers can't make it like that if every phone is different. Why do you think the iPhone has 28838356372 different accessories?

Marketing is everything
    Because they thought their 3.5inch phone screen was the "perfect" size.
    08-24-13 07:11 PM
    Appreciate the effort but I personally won't buy anything taller than the Q10.
    08-24-13 07:18 PM
    I'm pretty sure BlackBerry design team had this while testing various sizes for Q10 and settled for the current one. A screen this tall will be hard for the thumb for most people to reach the top (especially top left) corners of the screen, that's why I prefer iphone 4S than 5.

The shape is kinda awkward too and not as nice and classy as a square screen combination. Looks like something Samsung would make

I doubt BB10 will introduce another new aspect ratio and pixel size for the OS in near future, will be a pain in the a$$ for developers to prepare new additional assets and to redesign their app's layout and UI.

I'm not a fan of slider too because it's a pain to slide in and out and the wear and tear in long run.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by antiextra; 08-24-13 at 07:47 PM.
    08-24-13 07:31 PM
    If I want a larger screen and a keyboard I'd get a slider. This concept may be for some people, but definitely not for me. It looks out of proportion to me.

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    08-24-13 07:42 PM
    Because they thought their 3.5inch phone screen was the "perfect" size.
    The 3.5" iPhone screen is still the most perfectly sized phone for my money. The Q10 is second.
    08-24-13 08:39 PM
    Interesting. I think I'd go for that.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-13 08:48 PM
    I want to try an HTC one mini. I love the regular HTC one but the mini is a perfect size, just like the Q10 size. I hate these giant phones everybody is coming out with its just stupid to me.

Sent from HTC One /BlackBerry Q10
    08-24-13 09:49 PM
43 12