Hello everyone. I am locked into a contract until April and would like to avoid signing another two years with Sprint at this time. I found someone who claims to have an unopened Sprint Q10 that was won in a contest. I said used in tbe title because its comimg from a third party. Besides checking for a clean ESN, what should I look for to protect myself?

All I can think of is to check for a SIM card right? Do they come with a sd card? Anything else you can think of would really help me out. I'm excited to be this close to getting my first BB10 device.

Sent from an ATM
    No trees were harmed during the making of this message
    12-25-13 09:22 AM
    Just a few things to get you started.

Me personally I would get some type of paperwork from the person to go along with the phone if at all possible, even if its just a shipping receipt. Or at least some trail to show you got it from someone and didn't steal it yourself. The reason being if weeks later it is blacklisted you can show you got it by legitimate means.
    Also if its an article on like Craigslist Kijiji or Ebay copy the add ( mail the contents of the add ) to yourself and not the link to the add because the add may expire and the link will be invalid.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ed-q10-818542/

Tips for buying a second hand smartphone
    Morty2264 and nappp like this.
    12-25-13 09:45 AM
    I agree with receiving paper or some form of written acknowledgement of sale. It should include their full name, their username for whatever service, like "I, John Doe, user 'johndog82' on eBay, acknowledge that I have made a sale of my phone, a Sprint-branded Blackberry Q10, IMEI: 102571297318279408, to nappp on Dec. 25, 2013" or something like that. With ESN's it's good to cover all your bases.
    nappp likes this.
    12-25-13 09:57 AM
    I got my Q10 from that way. Make sure you meet in a public safe place like a coffee shop. Take the time to sit and chat with the seller. Take the time to try the phone. I installed my sim card, made a call and sent a text message. I tried every keys of the keyboard. Then I bought the phone.

Posted via CB10
    Morty2264 and nappp like this.
    12-25-13 12:48 PM
    If I do end up getting it, can Sprint just simply activate it and remove the BIS since BB10 doesn't need it? I worry about some kind up upgrade/downgrade fee

Sent from an ATM
    12-27-13 08:29 PM
    Q10: FTW! Love this little powerhouse.

Posted via CB10
    nappp likes this.
    12-27-13 09:58 PM
    There are other websites where I purchased phones that they check the emei/esn numbers to make sure they are good. Never been burned and there are reputable sellers on there. I've never been burned and sometimes you can negotiate the pricing.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 11:06 PM
    If I do end up getting it, can Sprint just simply activate it and remove the BIS since BB10 doesn't need it? I worry about some kind up upgrade/downgrade fee

Sent from an ATM
    Does your current smartphone use a microSIM? If not you won't be able to place a voice call. There should not be an upgrade fee plan although you might be required to pay for the microSIM if your current SIM is not compatible. Always obtain paperwork for the new smartphone and make sure the paperwork contains a matching serial number and/or IMEI. If your first impression of the person you are meeting makes you feel uneasy walk away - instincts are rarely inaccurate. And open the box and test the device before handing over any payment. Is the seller's eBay satisfaction rating at least 90%?

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    12-29-13 07:58 AM
    The buying of used Q10's has likely contributed to many of the dissatisfied users out there. When you buy it used, you significantly raise your chances of being stuck with a faulty device which would irritate anyone. Whereas if you buy it from your provider you can always return it or warranty it out if there are any issues (assuming you go with the monthly protection as I do now). This is just my two cents baced on having received a used device that had issues I never thought were even possible and having been stuck with it.
    12-29-13 11:19 AM
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I ended up complaining to sprint about some issues and they hooked me up with some credits so I bought one from sprint. Proud new Q10 owner here!

Posted via CB10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    12-29-13 12:39 PM
    Sounds like squeaky wheel got some grease. Hope you like it and you got a good one. I think there are more good ones then bad by a long shot. Enjoy

Reg
    nappp likes this.
    12-29-13 03:15 PM
    Sounds like squeaky wheel got some grease. Hope you like it and you got a good one. I think there are more good ones then bad by a long shot. Enjoy

Reg
    Thanks. Loaded up the 1925 leak and I'm up and running. Love this bad boy

Sent from an ATM
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    12-30-13 10:23 PM