Hi all,

As many I put media card encryption on my micro sd card en forgot I did so. I cut and pasted the files (pictures) from the the device using USB wire directly and then tried to open the picture on my computer. Of course since it was encrypted I was not able to open the pictures and I realized immediately why sadly

I then thought if you return the files back to the same location and disable "Media Card Encryption" the files that I cut and pasted on my computer and then returned would be decrypted. Sadly enough this is not the case. They seem to remain encrypted all the other files were decrypted.

The avoid certain questions about device and files:
    - Yes, I was stupid to forget
    - I have a q10 with software release 10.2.1.2102, os version 10.2.1.2141
    - At this moment my device encryption and media card encryption or both set to "Off"
    - The pictures that I cut and pasted are on the original location where the pictures are always stored when making pictures
    - Filename of the pictures are like this IM_20140923_231527.jpg with file size of about 2 MB
    - I also did the same with the video's (VID_20140920_174856.mp4 (of course filesize is different depending how long I was recording)

I read do not wipe device with SD card still encrypted. I did not do so, so my hope is I can still recover these pictures and video's.

I was thinking about setting "Media Card Encryption" on again and then off again in the hope the encryption would be removed. I could remove the files manually again and then put encryption ON put the files back again and put encryption OFF. But before I do anything to make it worse I thought I ask on this forum first. Leading to my question if there is anyway for me to recover the encrypted pictures and video's.
    10-13-14 01:03 PM
    You connected your phone to your computer, and then you transferred the files from the SD card to your computer, right?

My phone and SD card are also encrypted. When I transfer files from my phone to the computer I can always open them on my computer. In fact, I just tried it right now just to make sure. If I put my SD card onto my other phone, Z10, I can see the files but am not allowed to transfer them onto my computer (an error pops up). I wonder if maybe the files just got corrupted when you were transferring them.

Good luck.
    10-13-14 07:30 PM
    Hi jas1978,

Thx for your support. My partner in crime just told me she was mistaken and used the micro sd card directly to copy/paste the pictures from and to the phone. My apologies for this mistake. I do not think the files got corrupted when I was transferring them.
    10-14-14 07:29 AM
    I assume there is no solution or possibility for me retrieving my pictures and video's that I manually removed from micro sd card (while having encryption applied". I already tried to encrypt everything and decrypt everything all over again to no avail. Still need to try to encrypt everything add the encrypted pictures and then decrypt everything. Don't think it will work though.
    10-20-14 07:35 AM
    I assume there is no solution or possibility for me retrieving my pictures and video's that I manually removed from micro sd card (while having encryption applied". I already tried to encrypt everything and decrypt everything all over again to no avail. Still need to try to encrypt everything add the encrypted pictures and then decrypt everything. Don't think it will work though.
    I doubt the encryption keys are static. So, you're right. Except if you have the means and a big computer, your data is lost. It's the way to a better security.
    10-20-14 08:46 AM