Sent a few more test emails from an alternative account from the browser to both the problematic inboz.lv account and the gmail account.

And again, the gmail account received the mails instantly but to receive the mails on the problematic inbo.lv account, I again had to disable and enable cellular network connection.
    Posted via CB10
    Good and bad

BTW: Be sure to distinguish between the Push option and polling. Gmail supports Push. Have you Push on or off? Of course you should do the test with the same technology on both servers, and we know now that the problematic server doesn't allow Push. So you must also poll the Gmail server (switch Push off).

But then, if Gmail works also with polling (and switching from cellular to wifi and back to cellular), this makes us assume it's a problem on the server side.

Speculations: Maybe the server wants to keep the session open but because you close your wifi connection and return to cellular the conditions change. And what then? Probably you have a new IP address now. Would be interesting if the dysfunction is limited in time. I guess the server recognizes a broken connection after a while and allows the BB to reconnect with a new login and all that. This can be minutes or hours. Would be interesting if the server allows multiple sessions from different IP addresses. You could test this from multiple computers at the same time.
    08-15-14 11:28 AM
    BTW: if you don't have any animosity against Gmail (I have a lot) you could route your mails just from the problematic server to Gmail and then only request the Gmail server. Simple thing. Then use the Push option, set the polling interval to Manually and get your mails in under 30 seconds.
    08-15-14 11:35 AM
    Good and bad

BTW: Be sure to distinguish between the Push option and polling. Gmail supports Push. Have you Push on or off? Of course you should do the test with the same technology on both servers, and we know now that the problematic server doesn't allow Push. So you must also poll the Gmail server (switch Push off).

But then, if Gmail works also with polling (and switching from cellular to wifi and back to cellular), this makes us assume it's a problem on the server side.

Speculations: Maybe the server wants to keep the session open but because you close your wifi connection and return to cellular the conditions change. And what then? Probably you have a new IP address now. Would be interesting if the dysfunction is limited in time. I guess the server recognizes a broken connection after a while and allows the BB to reconnect with a new login and all that. This can be minutes or hours. Would be interesting if the server allows multiple sessions from different IP addresses. You could test this from multiple computers at the same time.
    I have Push enabled for the Gmail account but I tested it also with Push disabled. The Gmail account works perfectly both ways. Forget WiFin mate. I do not have it turned on here, where I have this stupid mail issue.
    Manual polling? What does it mean exactly? Will I need to activate synchronisation each time or what?

Posted via CB10
    08-15-14 12:20 PM
    Manual polling means nothing else than the server is never polled in background but only by your user activity. When you enter the Hub the server is requested. This should be the right setting if the Push option works well. Otherwise you use Push AND polling in parallel, which is a waste of data volume. I analyzed this very accurately.
    08-17-14 07:41 AM
    Well, the gmail still works like a charm, currently with Push enabled and a 5 minute interval. Sadly, I have not received any new information from the inbox.lv service provider but I think they will reply on Monday.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 10:03 AM
    Well, the gmail still works like a charm, currently with Push enabled and a 5 minute interval.
    Yes, but if Push is ON then switch polling OFF, this means set the polling interval to Manually. Otherwise this senseless polling will steal you 5MB or more every day (!) and it will also drain your battery a lot for nothing. I already said these are totally different, concurrent technologies. The Push mechanism tells you much faster that you got new messages and especially it works with much less data volume than this stone age polling.
    08-17-14 10:18 AM
    Thank you for all your interest and effort! Yes, I understood the part about data usage but that is not an issue. I have increased my monthly limit to 2GB and that is already a stretch.

I might be a bit slow but I still do not get why it is called Normal. Will I still get mails as soon as they arrive to my account?

Anyway, I really appreciate your help. I am sure I will get my second reply from the inbox.lv service provider tomorrow, and then I will post an update here.

Posted via CB10
    08-17-14 01:10 PM
    Thank you for all your interest and effort! Yes, I understood the part about data usage but that is not an issue. I have increased my monthly limit to 2GB and that is already a stretch.
    Think also about battery drain. Sending cyclic polling requests to a server is one of the biggest energy consumers on your device. I'm sure many people reporting battery drain issues (the well known "PIM services") have just polling on, probably for multiple accounts, and sometimes they even don't know it.
    I might be a bit slow but I still do not get why it is called Normal.
    What is called normal? The Push option is as normal as polling and wifi is as normal as cellular. All is normal and usual, you have nothing special here.
    Will I still get mails as soon as they arrive to my account?
    The Push option is based on IMAP IDLE. Because of IMAP IDLE is a server feature it has a much better performance than any polling. IMAP IDLE delivers message notifications in a few seconds. - On the other hand you have the strict client side polling mechanism which can't be faster than the configured polling interval. If you set the polling interval to 5 minutes then you have a request to the server every 5 minutes and consequently a maximum delay of 5 minutes. I f you have a polling interval of an hour you have much less network traffic but it can take an hour until you get a notification (but sure you get it). You must decide what you need.
    I am sure I will get my second reply from the inbox.lv service provider tomorrow, and then I will post an update here.
    I still assume something like my speculations from my article #26. Of course client server connections have also a configurable server part you can't influence from the client. If they have the server configured like this (probably with connection pooling and such mechanisms) it will perhaps not survive a client side network change like the change from wifi to cellular. Would still be an interesting experiment what happens when you switch from cellular to wifi, I think this should be the same case.
    lustekarlis likes this.
    08-18-14 01:05 AM
    Think also about battery drain. Sending cyclic polling requests to a server is one of the biggest energy consumers on your device. I'm sure many people reporting battery drain issues (the well known "PIM services") have just polling on, probably for multiple accounts, and sometimes they even don't know it. What is called normal? The Push option is as normal as polling and wifi is as normal as cellular. All is normal and usual, you have nothing special here.The Push option is based on IMAP IDLE. Because of IMAP IDLE is a server feature it has a much better performance than any polling. IMAP IDLE delivers message notifications in a few seconds. - On the other hand you have the strict client side polling mechanism which can't be faster than the configured polling interval. If you set the polling interval to 5 minutes then you have a request to the server every 5 minutes and consequently a maximum delay of 5 minutes. I f you have a polling interval of an hour you have much less network traffic but it can take an hour until you get a notification (but sure you get it). You must decide what you need.I still assume something like my speculations from my article #26. Of course client server connections have also a configurable server part you can't influence from the client. If they have the server configured like this (probably with connection pooling and such mechanisms) it will perhaps not survive a client side network change like the change from wifi to cellular. Would still be an interesting experiment what happens when you switch from cellular to wifi, I think this should be the same case.
    When I am home, I use my home WiFi and the problematic mail account works just fine.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 01:26 AM
    Weird. Just received two mails from the problematic account without disabling and enabling cellular connection. However, both mails still arrived nearly an hour too late.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-14 04:28 AM
    So, the last reply I ever got from them was the following: unfortunately, we do not support RFC 2177 IMAPA IDLE command.

Whatever the fudge that means!?!?

Posted via CB10
    09-15-14 01:50 AM
    So, the last reply I ever got from them was the following: unfortunately, we do not support RFC 2177 IMAPA IDLE command. Whatever the fudge that means!?!?
    This means nothing else that the BB Push option which is based on IMAP IDLE will not be usable. Instead you must use polling for this mail account, manually or automatically by configuring a polling interval. In #33 (3rd paragraph) I said you can decide. Now having this new information you can't decide anymore. Switch the Push option OFF and configure a polling interval. Your BB will then make a cyclic request to the mail server according to that interval.
    09-15-14 03:34 AM
37 12