I also was holding a windows phone & can see now how superior BlackBerry os & device is after using Q10

Posted by Q10
    04-09-14 07:12 AM
    Long story short. I sold my q10 because i needed a quick cash. Thought i'm not gonna miss the whole blackberry thing.

i just bought an android phone. its cheap but i know it will get the job done. Its a phone. What could go wrong.

Well, i was dead wrong. I was setting up my new android phone. It took me half an hour to realize this. BB10 multitasking beat everything.

I was setting up my account. I thought im gonna set up my other app in the meantime waiting for the snychronizing to finish up.
    Well, You cant.

I was playing some games. Got a new message come in. Thought im gonna reply 1st then resume my games.
    Nope. You cant.

It took me a not even 1 day to realize BB multitasking beats everything. I cant do two thing in the same time with an android phone.

Might go with Z30 after this.
    I almost have to ask...what type of Android phone?

As someone who uses both (and likes both), I have to wonder if your poor experiences were not the fault of Android itself, but rather the hardware it was running on. Most Android devices I use handle multi-tasking very well (though admittedly *differently* than that of BlackBerry)...but based on your post, I'm assuming you weren't using an actual Google branded Nexus device, or even a high-end OEM model, such as a Samsung Galaxy S or HTC One...and that can have a HUGE effect on your experience. In other words, you do get what you pay for, but I don't know that it's fair to knock down the entire Android OS based your experience alone.

Having said that, the Q10 is one of the best devices I've ever used, and I like it lot...so to me it's very understandable that may regret your decision.
    04-09-14 11:07 AM
    Q10 = best device I have used in a long time hands down!
    04-09-14 11:23 AM
    Firstly, I think multitasking is a lot easier and functional on STOCK android, which actually gives you a dedicated multitasking/app switcher button. And, if you close a game to text someone, you can return right back were you left off.

Posted via CB10
    How in the world does any Android beat out a new BlackBerry with multitasking? A single swipe and you see all open apps, newest used ones automatically put on top. If I am playing a game or browsing or writing an email and I get a text or msg, I don't even have to leave the screen to reply. Turn Instant Previews on. Peek lets you look at notifications without leaving what you are doing too.

The only advantage any Android has over BlackBerry as far as multitasking goes is the Note 3's split-screen feature. Otherwise, BlackBerry is king of multitasking.

From a Z30
    melb_me, gokulesh and imadorkx like this.
    04-09-14 12:33 PM
    I realize how great the BB10 is and also how simple the Playbook was to use. I still have my Q10 (I wouldn't even think about switching my BB phone yet. Haha.) I just bought a Nexus 7 tablet and so far love a lot of things but also have some niggles. I am still getting used to the Android OS but thus far I realize how efficient getting stuff done on my Q10 is vs. my Nexus tablet. Now again, I am still getting used to Android so a lot of the things may be user error. I do know that I keep swiping up on the Nexus instinctively to close an app (a la Playbook) as well as swiping across the screen to turn it on.

Anyways, not to digress, but seriously, I have gotten so used to the efficiency and simplicity of the BB10 OS over the other platforms that I have tried. It is a really under-appreciated OS. Even some of my anti-BB friends were surprised at how smooth and fast my Q10 responded to gestures and tasks.

I hope that someday BB comes out with a Playbook 2. I still use my Playbook so it's not officially retired, but even the Playbook was so efficient with the gestures and the ease of closing out applications.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    04-09-14 02:00 PM
    I haven't ever switched once I was on BB10 OS but I can imagine it's terrible. My worst switch was from 9900 to iphone, losing the keyboard was something I vowed to never do again. BBFL!

Posted via Q10
    04-09-14 03:06 PM
    How in the world does any Android beat out a new BlackBerry with multitasking? A single swipe and you see all open apps, newest used ones automatically put on top. If I am playing a game or browsing or writing an email and I get a text or msg, I don't even have to leave the screen to reply. Turn Instant Previews on. Peek lets you look at notifications without leaving what you are doing too.

The only advantage any Android has over BlackBerry as far as multitasking goes is the Note 3's split-screen feature. Otherwise, BlackBerry is king of multitasking.

From a Z30
    Firstly, it's important to note that I'm referring to STOCK android, not what you get on a Samsung device for example, which has Samsungs own skin, and there own "revamp" of vanilla android.

In stock Android you get a dedicated multitasking/app switcher key, which you use to switch between apps, without closing the previous.

Also, if you get an email for example while playing a game, you simply swipe down from the top of the screen to view or even reply to it, from the drop-down notification tray. The notification shade is Always there, no matter what your doing, and also has a section to change settings (wifi, brightness etc) which you can customize to your liking (if you want to). Something I found a bit annoying in BB10, is that I can't change my brightness, or toggle Data or Wifi without swiping up to leave the app and swipe down the setting toggles (not sure what it's called), you can do this on the fly In any app anytime, along with checking notifications, emails texts, screenshots taken ect. The notification tray is a lot more diverse than any others I have used, and is not limited to just showing text, or pictures.

Iv been using the Q10 for a few days now, and enjoying it, but I still find myself to navigate and do things faster on (stock) Android. This is why I have always chosen Nexus devices because they allow a smoother and faster operation than any other manufacturer (Samsung, htc, ect) and doesn't have the bloatware (crapwear!). Granted, I'm a dedicated Gmail user, and I trully miss there apps, like Google keep, Google drive, and the actual youtube player. I get to use these a lot more naturally on android since they were built specifically for it.

That said, I'm enjoying BB10 and the Q10 overall. I'm more of a tech junkie and couldn't pass on the latest sale and iv always wanted one.

Posted via CB10
    Raddin, Nharzhool and SmileDahling like this.
    04-09-14 03:13 PM
    If your every thinking of coming to the UK you can buy a BlackBerry z10 in Carphone Warehouse (which is a shop that sells phones for the best price) for only �169/ or so you understand it better $283.79

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 03:31 PM
    I considered the Z10 myself, but people seem to agree about its bad battery life, which was a deal breaker for me personally. I played with it for a while and loved it besides that one issue. I instead opted for the Q10 (I'm a tech junkie) lol.

I still think the Moto G is the phone to beat as far as "budget" phones. It's still 100 bucks less than the z10 (unlocked), and you can obviously get a lot more apps natively. It's been praised highly by reviewers for good reason, it's a great choice for someone who wants to try Android.

Posted via CB10

I agree on the Moto G... short money, pure android, and a quality device.... I still prefer a BB, but if you are going Android and money is an issue.. the Moto G is a good choice
    04-09-14 06:21 PM
    We learn from our mistakes. I've been there too, sorry you had to go thought that.
    04-09-14 06:29 PM
    I feel for the OP..going through that type of withdrawal has to be the worst.

I looked at my mom's android phone. She clearly doesn't give a damn about that thing. It's just sitting on the dresser collecting dust and she picked up my old Z10.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 06:56 PM
    I have a Nexus 7, and use it exclusively for Web browsing, Netflix, YouTube and a handful of apps. As a media device it's great, but I wouldn't want to have the Nexus 5 as my phone as it just does not feel as smooth or user friendly as my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 07:02 PM
    How much did you get for your Q10?
    04-09-14 08:14 PM
    I didn't made any mistakes.

I bought nexus 4 and 5 and yes, I made a good decision....
    I gave my nexus 5 to my mom and nexus 4 for my sister.
    Android can't do multi tasking like BlackBerry 10 does.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 08:35 PM
    I hope BBRY will release a new QWERTY phone in the future. i cant stand touchscreen. i spent my time correcting words more than actually sending it.
    I'm right there with you. A real QWERTY keyboard is why I still have a blackberry. I'm not a fan of touch-screens at all.
    imadorkx likes this.
    04-09-14 09:16 PM
    That's how I feel about going from a Curve 8900 to an Xperia Ray and from a Bold 9700 to the same Xperia Ray. Now I'm getting a 9780 to keep me going.
    04-09-14 11:17 PM
    Firstly, it's important to note that I'm referring to STOCK android, not what you get on a Samsung device for example, which has Samsungs own skin, and there own "revamp" of vanilla android.

In stock Android you get a dedicated multitasking/app switcher key, which you use to switch between apps, without closing the previous.

Also, if you get an email for example while playing a game, you simply swipe down from the top of the screen to view or even reply to it, from the drop-down notification tray. The notification shade is Always there, no matter what your doing, and also has a section to change settings (wifi, brightness etc) which you can customize to your liking (if you want to). Something I found a bit annoying in BB10, is that I can't change my brightness, or toggle Data or Wifi without swiping up to leave the app and swipe down the setting toggles (not sure what it's called), you can do this on the fly In any app anytime, along with checking notifications, emails texts, screenshots taken ect. The notification tray is a lot more diverse than any others I have used, and is not limited to just showing text, or pictures.

Iv been using the Q10 for a few days now, and enjoying it, but I still find myself to navigate and do things faster on (stock) Android. This is why I have always chosen Nexus devices because they allow a smoother and faster operation than any other manufacturer (Samsung, htc, ect) and doesn't have the bloatware (crapwear!). Granted, I'm a dedicated Gmail user, and I trully miss there apps, like Google keep, Google drive, and the actual youtube player. I get to use these a lot more naturally on android since they were built specifically for it.

That said, I'm enjoying BB10 and the Q10 overall. I'm more of a tech junkie and couldn't pass on the latest sale and iv always wanted one.

Posted via CB10
    You don't appear to be running OS 10.2+ version. The "missing items" you brought up are all there in the newer OS releases.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 02:34 AM
    Yup and how about being able to access your phones files well its off and charging on the computer

Posted via CB10
    imadorkx likes this.
    04-10-14 02:38 AM
    You don't appear to be running OS 10.2+ version. The "missing items" you brought up are all there in the newer OS releases.

Posted via CB10
    I'm running 10.2.1

I didn't say these items were missing, but these items can't be accessed except by leaving the app I'm in, pulling down the quick settings and changing brightness for example, then pulling the quick settings panel back up and finally going back to the app I was in.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 05:01 AM
    I hope BBRY will release a new QWERTY phone in the future. i cant stand touchscreen. i spent my time correcting words more than actually sending it.
    Oh gods yes, me too. I wasted so much time correcting and deleting words on all-touchscreen. Qwerty for life.

Posted via CB10
    imadorkx likes this.
    04-10-14 06:26 AM
    I have a Nexus 7, and use it exclusively for Web browsing, Netflix, YouTube and a handful of apps. As a media device it's great, but I wouldn't want to have the Nexus 5 as my phone as it just does not feel as smooth or user friendly as my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    We looked at the Nexus 5 but non removable battery and non expandable memory were deal breakers. And the phone design seems quite understated. Review wise, the phone has been getting high marks on forums.

Loving my Zed 10!!
    04-10-14 07:47 AM
    I don't understand people saying that android does not multi task, what kind of device did you guys tried ? I have 2 HTC One at work and I can open a game, play a while, reading my text, sending a text, and going back to the game where I was? care to explain a situation ?
    04-10-14 08:16 AM
    I don't understand people saying that android does not multi task, what kind of device did you guys tried ? I have 2 HTC One at work and I can open a game, play a while, reading my text, sending a text, and going back to the game where I was? care to explain a situation ?
    Ugh...multitasking is not about suspending an app and switching, then coming back and resuming. it's about simultaneously running multiple applications that continue to do stuff in the background when minimized. For instance, I can play a video, or a Flash video online, then minimize the video while it is still playing, then switch to navigation while the video is still playing. I can start the navigation and have it keep tracking and issuing updates while I minimize it and go back to my video that continues to play all the while I'm doing other stuff. This is just one example.

Android is more limited in this respect. What it does have is an OK task switcher (like Alt+Tab in Windows) but even it is somewhat clunky to use, even on vanilla Android like Nexus 5.

Posted via CB10
    AcADIeN and imadorkx like this.
    04-10-14 08:30 AM
    If the OP was short of CASH and was forced to sell his Q10.... can't imagine he got much of a phone for his replacement if he needed cash left over for something else. So he go an old $75 Andorid device and it doesn't live up to the power and capablites of his Q10..... Imagine what would happen if someone did the same and got an old used Storm2......

While multitasking and notifications on BB10 have matured and make for a very productive platform.... it's not really about what a device can do, but what a device can't do that limits it.
    04-10-14 09:03 AM
    Ugh...multitasking is not about suspending an app and switching, then coming back and resuming. it's about simultaneously running multiple applications that continue to do stuff in the background when minimized. For instance, I can play a video, or a Flash video online, then minimize the video while it is still playing, then switch to navigation while the video is still playing. I can start the navigation and have it keep tracking and issuing updates while I minimize it and go back to my video that continues to play all the while I'm doing other stuff. This is just one example.

Android is more limited in this respect. What it does have is an OK task switcher (like Alt+Tab in Windows) but even it is somewhat clunky to use, even on vanilla Android like Nexus 5.

Posted via CB10
    You can't minimize a flash video on android and have it play in the background because Google, along with Apple have abandoned flash support, for obvious (good) reasons.

I would argue that BB10 still has a giant multitasking issue. For example, when using TuneIn Radio. If you play a podcast using TuneIn radio, then begin using your phone and happen to jump into more than 8 apps, your podcast or any other audio you have played with that app will stop because the app would have closed (since bb10 is limited to having 8 apps open at a time).

The fact that you can only keep 8 apps running open at a time is a obvious limitation and forces the user to manage the apps he's using, so as not to force close an app, like TuneIn for example.

With Android, you can have a lot more apps at your disposal to switch through (and have running in the background) with the multitasking button. I can play audio (podcast or music) in the background all day and jump in and out of as many apps I want without worrying about it closing. I can do the same with youtube videos (audio playing in the background while do something else) with many other Youtube clients (that work great).

And I would highly disagree about the android "task switcher" being clunky. I now use a Moto G (considered a low end phone) to replace my broken Nexus 4, and it's COMPLETLY smooth, no lag, stutter or slow downs.

Having used both (currently own a Q10), I see no advantages over blackberry "multitasking" and see more disadvantages than advantages. Being limited to having only 8 running apps at a time is a prime example.

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 09:20 AM
57 123