For the last two months, my Q10 has been using a lot of data, with no explanation. I deleted a bunch of apps to no avail.

Today I downloaded 10.2.1, and the new Device Monitor has showed me more information.

Whether on data or wifi, my phone is uploading a lot.

For example, in about 45 minutes this afternoon between being on work wifi and home wifi, my phone, through the PIM services, used almost 87mb of data, but 81mb is from uploading.

Do others have this issue? I didn't for the first few months I had the phone...

Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks...
    01-28-14 10:11 PM
    I do seem to have the same issue. Even worse for me: my plan has a cap on data usage of 50 MB per day. Every single day sooner or later I receive a text from the carrier that says I have used up my daily limit. Today I saw what PIM has done to me mobile usage. What is PIM in the first place, I am ignorant here, help me out?
    01-29-14 07:56 AM
    Check your sync settings, you might wanna use it wi/fi only, dropbox, box and other cloud services. I guess!

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 07:59 AM
    PIM is the system for managing contacts etc. Do you have the check mark checked off for "search for contact details". It's located in your contact app settings. It could be a culprit? Any changes recently to anything relating to contact settings or calendar?

Lots of uploading-img_20140129_113552.png

Posted via CB10
    Dmitry Kisselyov likes this.
    01-29-14 10:37 AM
    Thank you, I have unchecked that box. Let's see if it'll make any difference tomorrow.
    01-29-14 11:25 AM
    Thank you, I have unchecked that box. Let's see if it'll make any difference tomorrow.
    Like I said, not 100% that's the issue but seems logical that it could be. Any other changes you made recently?

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 12:11 PM
    Updated to 10.2.1
    01-29-14 12:14 PM
    Thanks for the feedback.

Last week I landed in Miami, turned on my phone, and as I'm roaming on Rogers, I get 50mb a day automatically. Before I could walk to baggage claim, I got a text saying I had used up the 50mb....

I have continued to play around since I can now monitor the data usage and see where the majority of it comes from. I went into Evernote/Remember and started moving/deleting some of the larger files I maintained there, in case it's trying to upload or sync those.

Hoping that might be part of the solution, but any other thoughts most welcome.
    01-29-14 12:47 PM
    Well, the same thing happened today. PIM services at some point just used up 20 then another 15 MB of data. Beats me what provoked that. Seems to me it did that after I took a couple of pictures. This can be a coincidence, and I checked my camera settings to make sure geotagging was
    off.
    01-30-14 01:54 AM
    Well, the same thing happened today. PIM services at some point just used up 20 then another 15 MB of data. Beats me what provoked that. Seems to me it did that after I took a couple of pictures. This can be a coincidence, and I checked my camera settings to make sure geotagging was
    off.
    Any chance you have auto upload setup in box?

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 06:42 AM
    Honestly!I cant even update my software!!I keep getting this message saying my device is low on space!First it started with i need to remove 387MB's so that was cool so i moved everything tp my memory card!!And my update started!! So i left it for the night and woke up with it saying 598MB of 978MB...Which didnt make sense since it started off with the 387MB...But i left it and it carried on....And about half an hour ago it went to the second step of installing and half way through it said error and cancelled!!!!IT CANCELLED MY WHOLE 987MB'S!!!!!!!!!!And now i keep getting a 'alert' to remove 923MB's from my phone!But its impossible considering i have nothing left on my phone except maybe one or two small apps!!!!I have no idea what to do!!!Did i just waste 987MB?????????????????????aND HONESTLY I WAS LOOKING FOWARD TO MY UPDATE because i love new updates!!There is absolutely nothing else to move or delete on my phone!!I have a Q5 and i am on CellC but i downloaded it with my wifi!!!What should i do!!!!
    01-30-14 06:45 AM
    Any chance you have auto upload setup in box?

Posted via CB10
    No, no auto upload there.
    01-30-14 11:18 AM
    So, after several days of observations here is what I expect to happen every day: with my Wifi off, out somewhere just on mobile data, no matter what apps I am using, sooner or later PIM Services come online and try to upload as much data as it can, for some purpose I do not know about.
    Lots of uploading-img_20140202_115851.png
    This action uses up all the data limit still left at the end moment. Any ideas? It does not feel really great to know that instead of having more than enough data traffic for my each work day I have to just watch it all snatched from me within, say the first hour of usage.
    02-02-14 02:12 AM
    Honestly!I cant even update my software!!I keep getting this message saying my device is low on space!First it started with i need to remove 387MB's so that was cool so i moved everything tp my memory card!!And my update started!! So i left it for the night and woke up with it saying 598MB of 978MB...Which didnt make sense since it started off with the 387MB...But i left it and it carried on....And about half an hour ago it went to the second step of installing and half way through it said error and cancelled!!!!IT CANCELLED MY WHOLE 987MB'S!!!!!!!!!!And now i keep getting a 'alert' to remove 923MB's from my phone!But its impossible considering i have nothing left on my phone except maybe one or two small apps!!!!I have no idea what to do!!!Did i just waste 987MB?????????????????????aND HONESTLY I WAS LOOKING FOWARD TO MY UPDATE because i love new updates!!There is absolutely nothing else to move or delete on my phone!!I have a Q5 and i am on CellC but i downloaded it with my wifi!!!What should i do!!!!
    Swipe down from top of phone, settings.
    See if you have any ongoing data transfer to or from dropbox.
    Upload downloads show progress at bottom of main settings screen.
    You probably wont have anything, if you do let it complete over wifi.
    Next:
    Delete dropbox app from your phone completely, then try. You can reinstall it after update.
    Files get stuck in dropbox app location if they fail on upload. This data just appears as other data in storage, the files are not accessible from file manager.
    When reinstall make sure the option to sync over mobile network is off!

Ps if anyone knows wher dropbox stores files on bb10 during a file copy/move would they post.
    Might be able to delete from an ssh or file manage app?
    02-02-14 04:45 AM
    So, after several days of observations here is what I expect to happen every day: with my Wifi off, out somewhere just on mobile data, no matter what apps I am using, sooner or later PIM Services come online and try to upload as much data as it can, for some purpose I do not know about.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140202_115851.png 
Views:	300 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	244249
    This action uses up all the data limit still left at the end moment. Any ideas? It does not feel really great to know that instead of having more than enough data traffic for my each work day I have to just watch it all snatched from me within, say the first hour of usage.
    Wow, I feel your pain. Maybe you should call your carrier and let them see what you're seeing in Mobile Usage and Wi-Fi Usage, they should be able to at least restore the lost data and monitor your usage to alert you to a solution on what to do in the future. Good luck. I'm getting my Q10 next week from Sprint. Keep us posted.
    02-02-14 07:31 AM
    Wow, I feel your pain. Maybe you should call your carrier and let them see what you're seeing in Mobile Usage and Wi-Fi Usage, they should be able to at least restore the lost data and monitor your usage to alert you to a solution on what to do in the future. Good luck. I'm getting my Q10 next week from Sprint. Keep us posted.
    Well, see, I fail to understand how this can be a carrier's problem, hence it would be close to impossible to communicate to their support people: nobody made me buy cute ann in the first place. Seems to me the problem is in the OS, and I still hope there might be some unnecessary setting somewhere, e.g. automated diagnostics send-outs. I will keep digging.
    world saviour likes this.
    02-02-14 08:07 AM
    Well, see, I fail to understand how this can be a carrier's problem, hence it would be close to impossible to communicate to their support people: nobody made me buy cute ann in the first place. Seems to me the problem is in the OS, and I still hope there might be some unnecessary setting somewhere, e.g. automated diagnostics send-outs. I will keep digging.
    I don't know whose fault (carrier or user) I just think its something they should be made aware of. They might see something in this that can help, or maybe not. When trying to solve a problem I personally don't leave any stones unturned, whether they can or can't help me. Sometimes its just a piece to help solve the problem, or more information. I was just offering a suggestion, a direction I would take. I still hope you find a solution to this issue.
    02-02-14 08:29 AM
    I think I will next turn diagnostics off Lots of uploading-img_20140202_184629.png

They were on so far.
    02-02-14 08:50 AM
    I can allow the diagnostics while I am on Wifi as well.
    02-02-14 08:53 AM
    Well, I report nothing has really changed in the system's behaviour: still at some point of the day PIM Services wake up and upload something.

Lots of uploading-img_20140204_205040.png
    02-04-14 10:52 AM
    02-24-14 03:01 AM