The one operating system that I have yet to use is BlackBerry OS 10. I think I may have stumbled into an opportunity to pick up a gently used Q10 for a small amount of money. (Around $50)

I know BB OS 10 is dying a slow death - I was on Windows Phone for years and understand the predicament I would be placing myself in with the Q10.

I am currently using an iPhone X but I'm starting to hate it for its size and fragility. You would think that a $1,000 phone would be better suited for the elements and regular, daily use. I thought that perhaps the Q10 would be fun to try.

Is it worth $50 to try it out for fun? In 2018? If I like the experience, I may pony up some more money for a device in better condition (like the leftover "new" devices on eBay) so I have to worry less about usage on the device before I got my hands on it.

(Note: I'm one of those people that want to buy a pristine phone and hate the slightest scratch, ding, etc.)
    06-19-18 02:56 PM
    Well, I myself would not. The end of 2019 is it for most of the BB10 ecosystem.

Now, if you are just using it for phone, text and email, the Q10 may work for you and may work past the end of 2019. However, if you need anything more than that, even web browsing has become hit/miss - for example many banking web sites no longer work in the BB10 browser.
    06-19-18 04:46 PM
    Hey for what it's worth, I just bought a Windows phone (Lumia 650) just for kicks. It was cheap. There's many nice things about the Windows phone, some I wish BB10 had. I prefer either to Android.
    Overall I still find the Q10 a much better experience. The OS is much less buggy, faster, smoother, flows much better. It can do the same things the Windows phone can and more, so if you are ok with a Windows phone, you'll be fine here.
    There are obviously some things the iPhone X can do better so if you want that kind of level, that's not the phone for you.

One caveat, if you're used to big screen sizes, the Q10 will feel cramped. On the other hand, if you're always typing anyways then it won't make too much difference since the VKB is always on screen taking up that real estate...
    06-19-18 04:57 PM
    For $50 it's definitely worth a try, as long as you understand what you're getting into.

I'm using a Q10 right now while I wait to see if Apple will release a successor to the SE. I love this phone and it makes me wish things had played out differently with BB10.

The size and weight are fantastic and the physical keyboard is my favorite of any BlackBerry device.

I run a few Android apps like Telegram and FB Messenger Lite and they run great and don't drain the battery.

Oh, and the battery is user-replaceable. You can get an OEM charging bundle with and extra battery and you will never be tethered to a wall or battery pack. Although the battery easily gets me through a day and then some with my usage.

And for a 5-year-old device, the camera is actually pretty decent.
    06-19-18 05:15 PM
    Well, I myself would not. The end of 2019 is it for most of the BB10 ecosystem.
    Considering it is 2018.....and the end isn't until the end of 2019....I think I can live with such a finite time as roughly a year or more before it goes kaput. I'm eligible for annual upgrades on my iPhone so I'm not worried about either one of these devices not making it for the long haul. I can always revert back to either device as I see fit, and more than likely I'm going back to Android next year if the Pixel 3 (not XL) is roughly the same size because I could handle that form factor.

I would love to see a successor to the iPhone SE but I highly doubt it's going to happen. Hell, if those $150 iPhones were not network locked to some MVNO I wouldn't be posting here right now. It's the smaller size I see utility in. The keyboard is gravy. We'll just have to see about the rest of how I use my phones goes.
    06-19-18 05:51 PM
    Great keyboard, fantastic size. Definitely an enjoyable little device. I have one sitting at my office that I turn on every now and again to just play with.
    06-19-18 06:18 PM
    I'd say go for it; sounds like your well aware of caveats. I find it to be an enjoyable device to use.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-18 06:59 PM
    Buy it.

I don't feel any limitations on mine unless you need specific apps. Processor won't be as fast and camera not as good as an iphone10.

But, it is small, durable, great swappable battery and just works. No silly case nor screen protector needed. You could also look at a Q 5 if you see a good deal

Q10SQN100-1/10.3.3.3216

Posted via CB10
    06-19-18 10:28 PM
    Yeah I don't need any specific apps. The last week and a half I've tried to go without downloading apps outside of the core offering on iOS. I have managed to survive.
    06-20-18 10:26 AM
    I bought an almost new q10 a few days ago! However I've been using a passport for a year or so. I got the q10 as a small backup phone to use on day outs when I don't want to carry much.

However, if you have bigger than average hands I recommend the passport as a daily driver phone. Specs wise, I haven't seen any comparable slow down on my q10 yet, even though the passport has higher specs.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-18 04:35 AM
    Well the deal on the Q10 went bust. I found the phone on Craigslist and was going to meet the seller last night after I got off of work. I honestly don't think I'm going to want to spend much more than $50/$60 on a Q10 knowing it's obsolescence is in process and the end is neigh.

Would have been a fun experiment but now I'm going to have to look elsewhere. The eBay listings I'm following for like new devices still run around $97-$100. I know as of today there is a $15 off promotion site-wide that I could apply, effectively bringing the cost down to the mid-80's.

So frustrating....
    06-21-18 01:57 PM
    So I have managed to get a hold of the elusive seller on Craigslist using an alternate email. Hopefully I can get this person to meet so I can even look at the darn thing before I decide it's worth plunking down the money for it. Aside from the obvious visual scans for damage from handling, checking the IMEI with Verizon, etc. are there any other things I should be looking at when buying a used Q10?
    06-25-18 11:00 AM
    So I have managed to get a hold of the elusive seller on Craigslist using an alternate email. Hopefully I can get this person to meet so I can even look at the darn thing before I decide it's worth plunking down the money for it. Aside from the obvious visual scans for damage from handling, checking the IMEI with Verizon, etc. are there any other things I should be looking at when buying a used Q10?
    Test all the keys to make sure they work. Keep in mind the keyboard is easy to replace, though, and keyboards are cheap.

Also check the battery to see if it fits snugly against the battery contacts. If there's some give it might have some problems with randomly rebooting when the phone gets bumped or jostled. Others who have had this issue say they've been able to fix it by using paper to wedge the battery securely against the contacts, but it doesn't always work.
    06-26-18 07:06 AM
    Your fun will be limited without apps, but if you have a little cash to blow and you like to explore, why not? I just plugged my Q10 in for the first time in over 6 months. Going to use it for the radio when I go workout since I have a belt clip and can carry it comfortably unlike my K1.
    06-26-18 07:23 AM
    @Newfangled

Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate it.

@Emaderton3

Yes, I'm well aware of the app situation. It's not like I'm getting rid of my iPhone X, I'll still have that as my primary device. Besides, wife would be pissed if my blue messages went green. (iMessage)
    06-26-18 08:16 AM
    My advice would be to get the seller to meet at a Verizon store if that's the carrier stamped on the Q10. Then they can check it over, scan the IMEI, and make sure the phone is paid off and/or not stolen. That way you could get it activated immediately.

I love my Q10 and it's been my main daily since 2013. It's definitely a solid communications phone and I love it! I'm not an app user so it works for me.

If you do pick it up as your daily just carry a second device and hotspot your Q10 if you really need to use an app.

Keep us posted and goodluck!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-18 09:55 AM
    I'll sell you a Z10 for $50 shipped if your Q10 deal doesn't work out.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-18 08:10 PM