01-10-16 09:22 AM
28 12
tools
    Hi

I want a way to lock my Q10 instantly. One tap, or action, or touch. Press and hold lock button and then tap is a massive pain given that on my last BlackBerry I could just press k (old OS). I'm also slightly ocd and when I hold tap and press lock, I then always end up swiping up just to be sure, and pressing cancel on the login screen. This drives me mad doing this every single time. There is no visible indicator on the lock screen to say whether it's password locked, or if it is just ready to unlock by pressing the power button.

Rather than replying with "oh don't be silly", this is something which I want even if you don't :-)

Can't find any apps to do it, or options to do it, so I'm really hoping someone knows a way.

Thanks in advance

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 03:55 PM
    Simple, go to Settings > Security and Privacy > Device Password > Lock Device When Holstered and activate it.
    Then, either buy the official leather pouch from blackberry, or get a small magnet and slide it on the backside.
    Richard Buckley likes this.
    09-20-14 04:37 PM
    The k key was a nice way to lock on BBOS when keyboard shortcuts were in use. I myself used Universal Search so I had the right convenience key on my Bold set to password lock my phone. I also disabled the language switcher shortcut which made it so I could hit Alt+Enter to lock my phone, but that was a two-step, two handed process compared to a press of the k or convenience key.

It seems it's a two-step process on BB10: long press of the key at the top and tap the lock icon to password lock. I kind of like the way it is, having the three options that show up when I press and hold the top key: lock, cancel, and restart; I'm used to it by now. I'm not sure if the Alt+Enter shortcut is available, but I don't think that it is. Can't really help with any other suggestion. Maybe decrease your password lock timeout significantly to one minute and use Picture Password to unlock?
    09-20-14 04:37 PM
    PS: I'll add that you shouldn't worry about the device not locking. I don't. Once I tap that padlock icon it's locked!
    09-20-14 05:16 PM
    Holsters and magnets versus pressing k.... jesus..

Thanks for the suggestion, but I use my phone a huge amount throughout the day and certainly don't want to be putting it into and taking it out of a holster or playing with magnets just because the OS did away with a simple single-action lock feature. Playing with holsters and magnets is surely more hassle than locking it normally, I'm looking for less

We have redundant icons for so many simple tasks on BlackBerry which I think is great because everyone uses their phone differently, but no lock app/icon and no third party apps for it..

It seems it can't be done, which is pathetic really. Maybe 10.4 will require three actions to open the hub..

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 06:28 PM
    Either you use the combo "long press at the top then one finger on the screen", or a holster, or a very small magnet (on a ring for example) without even touching the screen... it's your choice
    I have the holster, but if I didn't, I use a magnet ring. Just need to go near the screen with the magnet for it to switch off and activate the locking process. Really easy
    09-21-14 03:55 AM
    Thanks Joshu42. I still think it's incredibly silly in 2014 to have to go to such lengths, so if anyone else has a better idea I'm all ears!

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 04:44 AM
    If you are looking for simplicity there is nothing simpler than bolstering your phone when you're done, and taking it out when you need it. You can even set it to answer calls when unholstered, and hang up when holstered.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 08:07 AM
    How does it work? Do you stuff the holster in your pocket leaving a bulk visible, or do you attach it to your belt waiting for someone to steal it?

Sorry if I sound like I'm negative for the sake of it - I'm not - I simply can't see how a holster wouldn't become more of a nuisance.

I take my phone out of my pocket over a hundred times a day I'd say. I'm not hugely familiar with holsters but surely taking the whole thing out of your pocket, opening the holster, removing the phone, now you've one thing in each hand..... am I misunderstanding holsters here? I'm certainly not wearing one visibly on my belt!

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 08:36 AM
    And I would say, if you're looking for simplicity, you're looking for a one-step action on your phone. As was always there. As most other phones have.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 08:38 AM
    Holster you put on your belt
    Pouch you put in your pocket
    .....nothing wrong with putting a holster on your belt. It's a matter of taste....and unfortunately for many, a matter of "cool or not cool".

Posted via CB10 with my Z30
    09-21-14 08:41 AM
    You sound like it's the end of the world to wear a holster on your belt. Oh well, to each his own I guess......

09-21-14 08:42 AM
    Oh, and I use one hand for my holster to take my phone out ....and I have yet to be teased or ridiculed for having such holster....

09-21-14 08:45 AM
    It's not the end of the world. It is simply highly impractical given my lifestyle.

So I take it the definitive answer is no. There is no way to lock a Q10 with one action without additional hardware. If that's it - fair enough. But it's nothing short of laughable. Hopefully the Passport doesn't require you type your pin every time you want to open an email. The Q10 is my seventh Blackberry - and every new BlackBerry seems to make simple things more difficult. Don't start me on Contacts.

I want to thank everyone that has offered suggestions - my frustration is with the phone, not with those who have offered help.

Thanks again.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 08:52 AM
    The official leather pocket from BlackBerry is the way to go if you store your phone in your... pocket.
    It contains a magnet and you can program it's action (lock, answer a call, ...). it's the easiest, safest way to do what you want and keep your phone from scratches.

Locking-img_20140921_155906_edit.jpg
    09-21-14 09:01 AM
    I concur
    09-21-14 09:13 AM
    How easy is it to quickly take your phone out of your actual pocket without removing this thing at the same time?

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 09:20 AM
    From my experience using it......you can't. you have to take out the pouch and then take the phone out.

09-21-14 09:27 AM
    Won't work for me so. Thanks for the suggestions guys, hopefully BlackBerry will be improve the OS and reintroduce some of the lost features over time.

Posted via CB10
    09-21-14 11:46 AM
    I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if anyone knew of 3rd party apps that might have been created in the last year that might do this?

Still have a Q10 because the Priv isn't available where I live, so still stuck with this stupid multi-step vs magnets and pouches and gimmicks.

Anyone?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 02:44 AM
    Assuming you're on a recent 10.3.2 build, press and hold 'K' from the hub, home screen or an app list page. If you're inside an app and need to lock, swipe up to minimize the app, then press and hold 'K'. It's now a feature again like BBOS.

[CB10 / Q10]
    01-09-16 02:53 AM
    I was really happy when they reintroduced this, but there times I need to keep holding it for 5-7 seconds before the phone locks, rendering it almost as useless as the other options.

So often I'm working on my phone and need to lock it instantly, and 5-7 seconds isn't practical.

Could there be another problem with my phone then? Do others get this K to work quickly?

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 03:12 AM
    'K' locks in 2 seconds flat for me under OS 10.3.2.2813.

[CB10 / Q10]
    01-09-16 03:47 AM
    Hmm. Did you try assigning the lock action using the device shortcut? I use the A button as a shortcut in locking my device.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 04:10 PM
    I did - it's very odd. Sometimes it does it in 2 seconds, but often it takes 4,5 and up to about 7 seconds on occasion. There is obviously some other problem with the phone, although everything else works fine so it's hard to know. A simple lock icon/app would solve this - such a pity.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-16 04:43 PM
28 12