4hrs and counting at 100% screen. I'm tired of this and shouldn't have updated.
    If it's been that long without any indication of progress, personally I would restart it, but only ONE time. Repeatedly restarting while it's in the middle of an update is a bad idea. After it successfully updates and you've given it an hour or two to settle, then go ahead and restart it if you want.

If it keeps freezing, I would revert it to the old OS and restore the backup you made. You made a backup, right?

Curious: do you have a lot of stored emails, texts, photos, videos, music etc on the device or SD card?
    08-26-13 05:45 PM
    If it's been that long without any indication of progress, personally I would restart it, but only ONE time. Repeatedly restarting while it's in the middle of an update is a bad idea. After it successfully updates and you've given it an hour or two to settle, then go ahead and restart it if you want.

If it keeps freezing, I would revert it to the old OS and restore the backup you made. You made a backup, right?

Curious: do you have a lot of stored emails, texts, photos, videos, music etc on the device or SD card?
    yea it's been too long a little strange. I have 3 email accounts, about 200 contacts, but a lot of pictures and applications. If I restart again, I'll take the SD card out and see if that helps.

I can't get the computer to recognize the device when it's on the boot screen, so just hoping to get lucky and it starts up with a buggy OS like last night.
    08-26-13 05:53 PM
    Took the SD card out and it booted up in 5min. Restoring from a back up now. Tomorrow afternoon i'll try and update with the SD card removed, and see if that works. Thanks for the tip!
    08-26-13 06:08 PM
    Took the SD card out and it booted up in 5min. Restoring from a back up now. Tomorrow afternoon i'll try and update with the SD card removed, and see if that works. Thanks for the tip!

Hopefully it will work for you now.

For what it's worth, I don't consider 3 email accounts and 200 contacts to be a large number, unless you have a massive number of messages stored on or synced to the device (ie thousands, tens of thousands), ie with the "sync forever" option enabled and have thousands of msgs going back years.
    08-27-13 01:30 AM
    Yea I don't think it's very many either. After about 6 hrs of a security wipe and a restore, I'm back on the old OS. I'll try and update again this weekend when I don't need my phone all day. Probably do it through the computer rather than OTA.

Thanks for you help!

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 02:35 AM
    Update too my phone disaster. After doing a security wipe and restoring from a pre-update backup, I can't open or compose any kind of text message. If the update doesn't work this afternoon going to the store and getting it replaced.

Unless anyone has any ideas?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    08-27-13 06:55 AM
    Brand new BB user here, came over from Android. Love the Q10, it nearly matches the form factor of one of my favorite phones, the Treo Pro. But I'm now wary about this OS update--at the very least I want to keep the dark theme. So I'm holding off for now, event though I'm getting notified every day about the update...
    08-27-13 07:11 PM
    FINALLY! After an 8hr update the first time, 6hr security wipe, 2hr restore, I was able to update through my computer in 30min and am now back up and running on .4189. Never updating OTA again.

White Calendar doesn't bother me at all.

Hope it switches back in 10.2, but easy to deal with now.

Thanks everyone for your help

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 02:34 AM
    FINALLY! After an 8hr update the first time, 6hr security wipe, 2hr restore, I was able to update through my computer in 30min and am now back up and running on .4189. Never updating OTA again.

White Calendar doesn't bother me at all.

Hope it switches back in 10.2, but easy to deal with now.

Thanks everyone for your help

Posted via CB10
    What do you think is the best way to update the BlackBerry Q10 then? I'm curious because I have T-Mobile and I still haven't received the M.R. update.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 03:11 AM
    Definitely connect to a computer to update. Also, if you have an SD card, remove that before you update. It makes it so less files have to be sorted through, backed up and accounted for during the update. It created a smoother process for me. The whole process from start to finish through while connected to the computer took about an hour ( I know I said 30 min above, but that was after it synced and backed everything up). I'd give it around 2 before you start to think of alternatives.

Let me know if you have any questions when it becomes available, and I'll do my best to help.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-13 11:47 AM
    FINALLY! After an 8hr update the first time, 6hr security wipe, 2hr restore...

FWIW: There's no reason why a security wipe would take 6 hours. Some people get confused because when the wipe is done, the device shuts off, the "computer chip" logo on the screen goes away, screen goes dark, and then the LED on the device starts slowly flashing (gradually brighter, then darker, then repeat) with a sort of orange color.

When you see that LED pattern, that actually means the device is off, but connected to a charger and charging. (Otherwise it would just turn off completely.) At that point you can just press the power button to boot the device again. My security wipes generally take about 8-12 minutes on a Z10.

...I was able to update through my computer in 30min and am now back up and running on .4189. Never updating OTA again.

Glad it's up and running for you now.
    08-28-13 10:54 PM
    I agree, it was awfully slow. I did it over night, so went to bed around 8 and when I woke for work about 230 the security chip was still on the screen with the spinning blur circle underneath. Luckily ot booted up 15 or so min after I woke up.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 07:14 AM
    Definitely connect to a computer to update. Also, if you have an SD card, remove that before you update. It makes it so less files have to be sorted through, backed up and accounted for during the update. It created a smoother process for me. The whole process from start to finish through while connected to the computer took about an hour ( I know I said 30 min above, but that was after it synced and backed everything up). I'd give it around 2 before you start to think of alternatives.

Let me know if you have any questions when it becomes available, and I'll do my best to help.

Posted via CB10
    Did you use BlackBerry Links? The BlackBerry website says you can do it over the air, through links or just finally plug it in and download some update checker ( I think it installs it still on the PC but no links).

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 08:13 AM
    Did you use BlackBerry Links? The BlackBerry website says you can do it over the air, through links or just finally plug it in and download some update checker ( I think it installs it still on the PC but no links).

Posted via CB10
    Yes I went through BlackBerry Link. Just plugged my device in, entered my password and it prompted me to updated my device software.

Although, running the latest official OS, when I plug it in now it still says I need to update my software, I assume that's just a glitch or it wants to put the junk applications back on my phone

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 11:21 AM
    Not a glitch. If you uninstall any stock app or sideload any older app like the black background calendar; then you will be notified of an update.

The reason I think this happens is in part because the updates seem to be modular.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 12:24 PM
    I agree, it was awfully slow. I did it over night, so went to bed around 8 and when I woke for work about 230 the security chip was still on the screen with the spinning blur circle underneath. Luckily ot booted up 15 or so min after I woke up.

I've never heard of a security wipe taking that long.

It's not supposed to wipe the removable memory card but I wonder if having that inserted somehow had something to do with it. (It will clear the encryption key used to encrypt an encrypted memory card but that is an instantaneous thing, doesn't require actually overwriting the card itself. Once the key is deleted the card becomes unreadable.)
    08-29-13 02:29 PM
    I've never heard of a security wipe taking that long.

It's not supposed to wipe the removable memory card but I wonder if having that inserted somehow had something to do with it. (It will clear the encryption key used to encrypt an encrypted memory card but that is an instantaneous thing, doesn't require actually overwriting the card itself. Once the key is deleted the card becomes unreadable.)
    Me neither. I assume something went horrible wrong when I tried to update the first time and that's to blame. Not sure what else it could've been, but I'm happy it's over haha.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 03:03 PM
    Is there an official changelog telling us what improvements are contained in this update? I've had 4189 for a while now and still don't notice any major changes, except for a white calendar and maybe a little bit speedier.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 06:51 AM
    Is there an official changelog telling us what improvements are contained in this update? I've had 4189 for a while now and still don't notice any major changes, except for a white calendar and maybe a little bit speedier.

Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a specific Verizon document on it, they published a detailed document about the Z10 10.1 (non-MR) update.

Here's general details from BlackBerry about the 10.1 MR:

A New BlackBerry 10.1 Update Available Starting Today �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

And a detailed changelog from the Canadian BlackBerry site:

Software updates for version 10.1 maintenance release (BlackBerry Canada)
    08-30-13 04:37 PM
    Just updated to the new OS and everything is basically the same. Durrrr. Still no sounding/vibrating PING!!! on bbm. Who is running this show? Obviously not a BBM user....
    08-31-13 12:33 AM
70 123