I believe iOS also has lock screen notifications that can be replied to, from the lock screen.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    09-18-14 11:06 PM
    Hey All,

With Apple's launch of iOS 8 today, I was wondering if BB (with its focus on productivity) will implement interactive notifications in 10.3?
    It's funny because the one feature you listed has been on BB10 officially since January and in leaked/beta OS' since November/December. So this sounds very much like a troll post.

But what Apple did right about "interactive notifications" is that they opened up the API to developers, just like a lot of their OS. For me opening up APIs is the best thing a company can do. Makes developers happy as well. BB10 APIs are crap.

I do like a lot of things that Apple did with iOS8 and from what i'm seeing in 10.3 it's just a big UI change like from iOS6-iOS7 which really disappointed me.

There is so many things missing on BB10 from BBOS7.1 and not enough features in their Core apps so I can actually make use of them to be productive.

** If BlackBerry doesn't want to add new features tot heir core apps, just let developers create plugins/addons/extensions. Now that is revolutionary in my eyes. Potentially I can have any feature in my Core OS app. This has not been done yet. **

The only thing keeping me from iOS is BB10's HUB. Everything is just so unified and no OS has mastered it like BB10 has. This is my most needed thing and it will keep me on BB10 until a better unified message box comes along. But that will be the first time I will ever look into getting another phone other then a BlackBerry since 2006 (actually probably before 2006).
    Last edited by khehl; 09-18-14 at 11:59 PM.
    09-18-14 11:24 PM
    The problem is were becoming the sheep.

That thread about apple pay being a joke. No. The real joke is that we've been sitting on nfc for years and if we want to use it how we imagined... we can move to Indonesia? In 2015? Lol..
    Apple Pay/Passbook makes all competition a joke. Even Google Wallet. Google Wallet handles all credit card info, Apple Pay go right to the Banks them selves and doesn't even store credit card info. (which is huge because of all the icloud leaking crap happening now)

Everyone has been criticizing Apple for years by not having NFC. They are the first ones to make something revolutionary with old tech that could have easily been done by anyone. No one uses those stupid NFC Smartcards except for nerds that want to stick them around their house. I have never used my NFC for anything, what a waste.

This annoys the crap out of me.
    nah.uhh and Wwhite1036 like this.
    09-18-14 11:37 PM
    Good Ode to..... I dunno. what it's an Ode to? It's good though

Jaglenn's Q10
    09-18-14 11:41 PM
    Then Apple calls it new, revolutionary, and the marketing machine and the hype fools people into thinking it's really new and different than any other mobile OS (Android, Windows Phone, BB).
    This assumption that Apple calls its new features ‘revolutionary’ seriously needs to die out, it becomes ridiculous. Apple isn’t that delusional and it occasionally even gives credit for its features. As to the fact why people get excited about such features despite them not being new, this can be explained by the general public’s disinterest in tech news. Only enthusiasts and owners of various brands know what other smartphones do, everyone else will get excited about what Apple introduces, because the iPhone is the world’s most popular smartphone. That bias is not Apple’s problem.
    09-19-14 08:29 AM
    I had a kid come into my office asking to use my hotspot on my Z30 to download iOS 8.

I swiftly sent him on his way!

But seriously, I haven't looked too in depth at what iOS 8 offers, but it seems to be catching up with other platforms when it comes to toast notifications and some upgrades on moving around the phone. Doesn't look like there's too much different from iOS 7. *shrug*

Apparently, the iPhone 6 and 6+ came out today. I posted a screenshot from my z30 and was bombarded with "How did you get the iPhone 6 so fast?!" tweets.

....oh
    09-19-14 10:19 AM
    But seriously, I haven't looked too in depth at what iOS 8 offers, but it seems to be catching up with other platforms when it comes to toast notifications and some upgrades on moving around the phone. Doesn't look like there's too much different from iOS 7. *shrug*
    I think the biggest changes are what end users currently don’t see: APIs. Actionable notifications (not just quick writing, but also e.g. Facebook liking), extensibility features that allow apps to finally integrate with each other (including the new keyboards, which are already a big hit in the App Store) and access to the fingerprint scanner (which is unique to the iPhone, at least at this level of execution). Especially the latter is a huge, huge convenience. I’ve seen some banking and password-management apps that already use this and it’s great. iOS 8 will truly become interesting once third-party developers release their updates, which should take at least a couple of weeks. Another part of iOS 8 relates to OS X Yosemite, which isn’t released yet. So the Continuity and SMS-relay functionalities, as well as the new iCloud features aren’t available yet.
    09-19-14 10:32 AM
    I think the biggest changes are what end users currently don’t see: APIs. Actionable notifications (not just quick writing, but also e.g. Facebook liking), extensibility features that allow apps to finally integrate with each other (including the new keyboards, which are already a big hit in the App Store) and access to the fingerprint scanner (which is unique to the iPhone, at least at this level of execution). Especially the latter is a huge, huge convenience. I’ve seen some banking and password-management apps that already use this and it’s great. iOS 8 will truly become interesting once third-party developers release their updates, which should take at least a couple of weeks. Another part of iOS 8 relates to OS X Yosemite, which isn’t released yet. So the Continuity and SMS-relay functionalities, as well as the new iCloud features aren’t available yet.
    bang on...

not only can iOS apps be more productive (except the HUB) then any single feature on BB10. Apple decided to open up more APIs to let devs make iOS even more productive.
    Whats the point in having our interactive notifcations (toast) if it only can be used in BlackBerry made apps? Do they expect everyone using a BlackBerry to use BBM and SMS? I do but I live in Waterloo (BlackBerry's home town) but the majority of the people don't use BBM. So that just leaves SMS.

Their Relay function is basically their version of Blend. (most people that have iphones have some sort of other apple product like a laptop or ipad so it works just as well for them as blend would for us)

They are integrating all their core apps. Which is something that BlackBerry hasn't done. Remember and Calendar for example.

They have big apps like PassBook/ Apple Pay which gives any other phone payment/keychain/passport app a run for their money. Yes even Google Wallet since google wallet stores credit card info!!!

Like I said above, I thought i will say it again: Apps these days can do ANYTHING and with more integration like what Apple is doing will make them even better. Once Accompli (exact copy of the HUB but better) can handle all IM clients or at least a majority of the popular ones. BlackBerry will have nothing to tout about anymore. This is the single feature keeping me on BlackBerry. I've been a BlackBerry user since 2006 (maybe even before 2006) and that will be the first time I look into another phone.

Our Core Apps are featureless, they don't have enough features to be productive like Remember for example.

Everyone OS out of the main 4 kills every BB10 core app feature wise. Docs to go, owned by BlackBerry is an embarrassment, express doesn't even have the right output formats to make it useful, print to go is the worst printing app i have ever seen (needs to be like air/google print), BlackBerry travel is featureless compared to competition, maps doesn't even have POI and is no where as good as BlackBerry traffic, BBM needs more constant updates (it's no where near to being as stable as it was in BBOS).
    I listed all the main apps that ENTERPRISE people use constantly. WTF is BlackBerry doing? They should have a team of 10+ people working full time and update 1 app at a time for a couple/fews weeks, throw constant updates into Beta Zone. Then once people are satisfied they move on to the next.

Our main used app Contacts is a mess. not only do I want it fixed, I want the to open up the API so a dev can make Truecaller for BB10

All 10.3 update really is: an UI update just like iOS6-iOS7 was.

Still missing all of BBOS features. I have a thread with 70+ features missing from BBOS still after 1.5 years of it being on the market and 3.5-4 years of development in total

Sorry for the rant, I'm just extremely annoyed in BlackBerry.
    09-19-14 11:06 AM
    So whats the next big thing? Because moving forward before others has always been what seperate cell phone companys. BlackBerry has once been the next big thing, iphone has filled those shoes in the past and so has Android. Whats going to be that next "thing" that pushes one particular brand above others?
    This is one of the next big things: Wearable Gesture Control

The other next big thing for phones (in my opinion) is already moving forward and that's complete native cross platform integration for home automation / entertainment, vehicle operation and shopping.
    Home entertainment control is one of the innovations that Apple's been pushing on for years.. iPod your car, Apple TV, etc.
    With Apple, it's Home Automation using a proprietary system.
    Google's already moving in that direction via their Nest acquisition, but it seems to be more multi-platform in operation.

In addressing the topic of this thread, I just downloaded iOS8 onto my 5S.
    I don't have 10.3 yet.
    The only thing that I've tested out so far, is the typing.
    With only limited use, it appears that Apple's predictive text is vastly improved, because in addition to several single word options (like ours) it offers word combinations (two words in combination) as well.
    Does 10.3 do that?
    Up until today, my opinion has been that BB's predictive text was second to none.
    But I won't know for sure until 10.3 is released and I can load it into my phone.
    Last edited by Velocitymj; 09-19-14 at 09:09 PM.
    09-19-14 01:13 PM
    Every OS has unique and useful features. The problem with Apple is that they give their customers "new features" that other phones and mobile OSes already have for quite sometime. Then Apple calls it new, revolutionary, and the marketing machine and the hype fools people into thinking it's really new and different than any other mobile OS (Android, Windows Phone, BB). Then, the iFans go crazy and buy them. The iPhone is a good device, but, I wouldn't buy one, prefer the flexibility, and freedom to customize, plus security that BB or Android gives me. I have tried all kinds of phones, but iPhone is the least I would buy. BB 10 OS is really a good OS, productive, elegant, with real new features (the Hub, the gestures, etc.), plus it is still the best in security (only device approved and allowed for the US government, and in many other countries).
    Are you sure about that?
    09-19-14 03:09 PM
    I wonder if 10.3 will have an EQ or EQ presets like BBOS 7 had. Why in the world would they drop the EQ?! Yes I have Neutron, but I want the native player to have this. It's my native player that auto-plays upon entering and starting my car, not Neutron.
    09-19-14 04:43 PM
    I wonder if 10.3 will have an EQ or EQ presets like BBOS 7 had. Why in the world would they drop the EQ?! Yes I have Neutron, but I want the native player to have this. It's my native player that auto-plays upon entering and starting my car, not Neutron.
    Yes 10.3 does
    Jaredius likes this.
    09-19-14 05:17 PM
    Seems to be a lot of who got what features first here, but when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter. 1.880 people were lined up outside of just one Apple store on 5th Ave in Manhattan. Up over 30% from last year. They're selling phones and BBRY is not. BBRY will be lucky if they sell 1,880 Passports nation wide when they are available let alone at one store. BB10 is a decent OS but if no one buys these devices just how long is it going to be around?
    09-19-14 05:29 PM
    This reminds me of a scenario I encounter all the time with fellow motorcyclists and you even see it with pedestrians. Pedestrians think they can walk right out into a cross walk because they have the right of way and if the get hit, it will be the driver's fault. They are so concerned with being right, that they almost forget that it doesn't matter when you're head is covering the windshield.
    It doesn't matter if bb was first. It doesn't matter if the hub is the best thing since sliced bread and it doesn't matter how secure the phone is. None of this matters if everyone buys the non secure, poorly laid out, and none innovative competition. One will be alive and one will be right, but dead. You have to make what people want, not what you want them to want. Until then, calling iPhone users sheep, and declaring Android lags is useless.
    nah.uhh likes this.
    09-19-14 05:45 PM
    bang on...

not only can iOS apps be more productive (except the HUB) then any single feature on BB10. Apple decided to open up more APIs to let devs make iOS even more productive.
    Whats the point in having our interactive notifcations (toast) if it only can be used in BlackBerry made apps? Do they expect everyone using a BlackBerry to use BBM and SMS? I do but I live in Waterloo (BlackBerry's home town) but the majority of the people don't use BBM. So that just leaves SMS.

Their Relay function is basically their version of Blend. (most people that have iphones have some sort of other apple product like a laptop or ipad so it works just as well for them as blend would for us)

They are integrating all their core apps. Which is something that BlackBerry hasn't done. Remember and Calendar for example.

They have big apps like PassBook/ Apple Pay which gives any other phone payment/keychain/passport app a run for their money. Yes even Google Wallet since google wallet stores credit card info!!!

Like I said above, I thought i will say it again: Apps these days can do ANYTHING and with more integration like what Apple is doing will make them even better. Once Accompli (exact copy of the HUB but better) can handle all IM clients or at least a majority of the popular ones. BlackBerry will have nothing to tout about anymore. This is the single feature keeping me on BlackBerry. I've been a BlackBerry user since 2006 (maybe even before 2006) and that will be the first time I look into another phone.

Our Core Apps are featureless, they don't have enough features to be productive like Remember for example.

Everyone OS out of the main 4 kills every BB10 core app feature wise. Docs to go, owned by BlackBerry is an embarrassment, express doesn't even have the right output formats to make it useful, print to go is the worst printing app i have ever seen (needs to be like air/google print), BlackBerry travel is featureless compared to competition, maps doesn't even have POI and is no where as good as BlackBerry traffic, BBM needs more constant updates (it's no where near to being as stable as it was in BBOS).
    I listed all the main apps that ENTERPRISE people use constantly. WTF is BlackBerry doing? They should have a team of 10+ people working full time and update 1 app at a time for a couple/fews weeks, throw constant updates into Beta Zone. Then once people are satisfied they move on to the next.

Our main used app Contacts is a mess. not only do I want it fixed, I want the to open up the API so a dev can make Truecaller for BB10

All 10.3 update really is: an UI update just like iOS6-iOS7 was.

Still missing all of BBOS features. I have a thread with 70+ features missing from BBOS still after 1.5 years of it being on the market and 3.5-4 years of development in total

Sorry for the rant, I'm just extremely annoyed in BlackBerry.
    Not everyone is an enterprise user. I'm a consumer customer and I'm happy with BlackBerry 10, even though it's supposed to be enterprise oriented.
    I have used iPhones for years. I MUCH prefer BlackBerry 10. For a tiny company, in comparison, they have done an amazing job. I'm not missing anything from an iPhone. I use NFC all the time to pay for things and I don't worry because I trust BlackBerry's security. I do not trust Apple's.
    Apple builds beautiful, sleek, simple phones for the masses, and they are very good at what they do. But with BlackBerry 10.3, I'd ask what does the iPhone really do better? Very little, if anything, in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 06:13 PM
    Read something on one of the websights that says that IOS8 has encryption that even apple cannot break? And in doing so, they cannot turn over any info to NSA. I wonder how Blackberry does this too?
    When the NSA has the master keys, you can say encryption all you want. No worries Apple leaks data to the nsa like a sieve.
    09-19-14 06:18 PM
    i love my z10 , and i don't think i will get anything but blackberry but let's face it 6 mil preorders it's a substantial number ,hopefully bb will came up with something better .
    09-19-14 06:32 PM
    I believe iOS also has lock screen notifications that can be replied to, from the lock screen.

#CB10 #Q10 #Darkhorse
    so it's a practical joker's dream phone? Cool.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-14 06:49 PM
    I'm impatiently waiting for 10.3 ... what's an i0S??
    09-19-14 08:57 PM
    Not everyone is an enterprise user. I'm a consumer customer and I'm happy with BlackBerry 10, even though it's supposed to be enterprise oriented.
    I have used iPhones for years. I MUCH prefer BlackBerry 10. For a tiny company, in comparison, they have done an amazing job. I'm not missing anything from an iPhone. I use NFC all the time to pay for things and I don't worry because I trust BlackBerry's security. I do not trust Apple's.
    Apple builds beautiful, sleek, simple phones for the masses, and they are very good at what they do. But with BlackBerry 10.3, I'd ask what does the iPhone really do better? Very little, if anything, in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    These type of answers annoy me even more, they make crackberry fanboys no better then isheep. I try to be on your guys side but come on you guys are the exact same as them!!

What app do you use to pay? Timmy Me App? That is really the only native BB10 NFC paying solution...
    Besides i don't think you read what I wrote, Apple doesn't have ANYTHING to do with credit card info, which is why Apple Pay is so genius, compared to competition like Google Wallet. What is there to trust? The info goes straight to the bank and back. Hopefully you trust your bank. (no it has nothing to do with the icloud leaks)

I thought I would just do the enterprise apps (which do cross over to consumers quite a bit) because the consumer portion is even more embarrassing feature wise.

What can iPhone really do better? did you not read anything I wrote? AAAPPPPPSSSS, sure some native features might be better then iOS feature but apps fill in the gaps for everything. Like I stated Acompli is copying BB10s top feature and that is the HUB, it just only works with email for now. iOS8 opened up some incredible APIs for better app integration.
    Another point: take my interactive replies for example. They took something that blackberry had and opened up APIs for it, so it can be used for EVERY app.

Like I said 10.3 is nothing but a UI update from my eyes at least.
    I can't think of a single luring feature other then Blend (Apple has relay/handover, Samsung has mirrorlink, Android has AirDroid/snapPea/3CX DroidDesktop 2 and the list goes on).
    Sure there is Yelp in Maps (poorly implemented) and speed triage which is insanely slow. Intelligent Assistant gives me the wrong movie times (i live in Waterloo, maluuba and BlackBerry's home town!! ) and can't find the closest gas station (they need to change their sources database for intelligent assistant).

I've always laughed at iOS updates but this one is a big one and it sucks because 10.3 is not as big as everyone thinks it will be.

I would have been happy if:
    in 10.3/10.3.1
    - they brought back most of their productive BBOS features http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...10-3-a-957985/
    - Update most their Core Apps
    - bug fixes
    in 10.4
    - Then for new big features

I would be very happy with that road map
    Last edited by khehl; 09-20-14 at 01:24 AM.
    anon8656116 likes this.
    09-20-14 12:58 AM
    These type of answers annoy me even more, they make crackberry fanboys no better then isheep. I try to be on your guys side but come on you guys are the exact same as them!!

What app do you use to pay? Timmy Me App? That is really the only native BB10 NFC paying solution...
    Besides i don't think you read what I wrote, Apple doesn't have ANYTHING to do with credit card info, which is why Apple Pay is so genius, compared to competition like Google Wallet. What is there to trust? The info goes straight to the bank and back. Hopefully you trust your bank. (no it has nothing to do with the icloud leaks)

I thought I would just do the enterprise apps (which do cross over to consumers quite a bit) because the consumer portion is even more embarrassing feature wise.

What can iPhone really do better? did you not read anything I wrote? AAAPPPPPSSSS, sure some native features might be better then iOS feature but apps fill in the gaps for everything. Like I stated Acompli is copying BB10s top feature and that is the HUB, it just only works with email for now. iOS8 opened up some incredible APIs for better app integration.
    Another point: take my interactive replies for example. They took something that blackberry had and opened up APIs for it, so it can be used for EVERY app.

I can't think of a single luring feature other then Blend (Apple has relay/handover, Samsung has mirrorlink, Android has AirDroid/snapPea/3CX DroidDesktop 2 and the list goes on).
    Sure there is Yelp in Maps (poorly implemented) and speed triage which is insanely slow. Intelligent Assistant gives me the wrong movie times (i live in Waterloo, maluuba and BlackBerry's home town!! ) and can't find the closest gas station (they need to change their sources database for intelligent assistant).

I've always laughed at iOS updates but this one is a big one and it sucks because 10.3 is not as big as everyone thinks it will be.
    Khehl, I'm confused here, do you use an iPhone? And if not, why not? I'm asking out of genuine curiosity, not trying to provoke.

Granted I'm a total stranger, but honestly it sounds like you're really, really passionate about the Apple ecosystem. Why not just use it? You have over 3000 posts in a BlackBerry forum in a year and a half, but right now it kinda sounds like you don't really like it. Might be liberating to just make the switch? Nobody could criticize you; Apple makes some sexy devices.

Posted via CB10
    09-20-14 01:24 AM
    Both phone are good for different users. Both SO are better than android. More stable and less hardware consumption.
    09-20-14 02:03 AM
    Khehl, I'm confused here, do you use an iPhone? And if not, why not? I'm asking out of genuine curiosity, not trying to provoke.

Granted I'm a total stranger, but honestly it sounds like you're really, really passionate about the Apple ecosystem. Why not just use it? You have over 3000 posts in a BlackBerry forum in a year and a half, but right now it kinda sounds like you don't really like it. Might be liberating to just make the switch? Nobody could criticize you; Apple makes some sexy devices.

Posted via CB10
    I think you're misunderstanding khehl

Pretty sure khehl is one of the few of us that actually used bbos to its fullest and can feel how far behind bbos bb10 is.
    Now, I don't fault BlackBerry 10 for being behind bbos. But it is hella annoying when ios gets bbos features before bb10.

Custom contact fields for example.
    Ios is still ios.. Ios + bbos features is like a platypus. I don't care for ios.
    I want bbos features back on bb10.. a lot of whose have been making their way since 10.2.1.. but we still lack simple stuff like a proper bedside mode, a custom sound profile, inability to disable javascript in the browser.. the browser options are all wrong.. keyboard shortcuts..

Bb10+bbos features should be.. hands down the best
    It doesn't make sense that BlackBerry is giving up ground to apple by joining some stupid consortium of dumb people who want to screw nfc into obsolescence (if that's even a word lol)
    09-20-14 02:11 AM

I would have been happy if:
    in 10.3/10.3.1
    - they brought back most of their productive BBOS features http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...10-3-a-957985/
    - Update most their Core Apps
    - bug fixes
    in 10.4
    - Then for new big features

I would be very happy with that road map
    Maybe you should get the iPhone 6 and enjoy the device that best suits your needs? Is a phone worth stressing over? Life is too short.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    09-20-14 09:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    Maybe you should get the iPhone 6 and enjoy the device that best suits your needs? Is a phone worth stressing over? Life is too short.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    I think you're misunderstanding khehl

Pretty sure khehl is one of the few of us that actually used bbos to its fullest and can feel how far behind bbos bb10 is.
    Now, I don't fault BlackBerry 10 for being behind bbos. But it is hella annoying when ios gets bbos features before bb10.

Custom contact fields for example.
    Ios is still ios.. Ios + bbos features is like a platypus. I don't care for ios.
    I want bbos features back on bb10.. a lot of whose have been making their way since 10.2.1.. but we still lack simple stuff like a proper bedside mode, a custom sound profile, inability to disable javascript in the browser.. the browser options are all wrong.. keyboard shortcuts..

Bb10+bbos features should be.. hands down the best
    It doesn't make sense that BlackBerry is giving up ground to apple by joining some stupid consortium of dumb people who want to screw nfc into obsolescence (if that's even a word lol)
    read the end of my message. The phone I would go back to is 9900 running BBOS like nu uhh said. I went to BB10 hoping they would bring new features plus BBOS features or at least better features then the existing featuires in BBOS. If BBOS had the option to download android apps I'm pretty sure no one would be using BB10 right now..

BB10 is getting very behind. I would have also talked about Android L but just didn't since this is iOS8 vs 10.3. I am into this tech stuff. I've never owned an android phone but I flash my friends phones based on stuff i read.

We were told 10.3 is the biggest update yet, which got me excited. Now I try 10.3 and NOTHING changed. I was happy with the progression up until 10.3.

10.2 brought all big features like wifi direct/miracast, HUB priorities, HUB attachments, lock screen notifications, UPDATED CORE APPS and etc ( i can think of 30 new things from the top of my head)

10.2.1 brought android apps without having to sideload (which is a huge thing) plus 30 more changes as well.

Then they hype us up with this huge new update 10.3 and so far i can name 5 changes not including UI. All they have to do is update apps, bring BBOS features and fix bugs on top of the UI. That would be a BIG change they hyped it up to be.

If Chen keeps losing money on handsets, he is the type of business man that will cut them out and go straight to services just to make money. You need to be hard on BlackBerry for updating their OS whcih sells phones.
    anon8656116 likes this.
    09-20-14 09:24 AM
83 1234