I am a long time BlackBerry user but a year ago I switched to Android and have regretted it. My contract is up in November and I plan on purchasing a BlackBerry Q10. My only real concern is that I am very accustomed to Instagram and Snapchat on my device. How well do these apps work on the Q10? Does anyone have some examples or advice for me? Thanks! #BBbelieve #IChooseBlackBerry10
    -Andrew
    09-12-13 02:02 PM
    With the launch of BB 10.2 in the coming weeks, the Android virtual machine will be updated to 4.2 JellyBean which will assure that every Android app will work on the os10 devices. I am running a 10.2 leak on my q10 and instagram works just fine, with a little error when uploading a photo (the filters name and preview are not completely displayed on the screen, but you get used really fast). You may also buy Instago (0,99$) which is an amazing Instagram app which offers a BB10 native user experience, loads very fast, you can like by double-tapping, search users and all the other functionalities except upload (I use it all the time and I go back to the sideloaded Android version only when I want to upload a photo). Unfortunently, I have not tried Snapchat, but it should work.
    You will find many tutorials and users who can assist you on installing apps from Android on BB10. So, switche to Blackberry . I am also coming for a long-time Android user and I find the BB10 experience really superior to Android.
    And also welcome to the forums !
    Last edited by ioansuhov; 09-13-13 at 02:05 PM.
    09-13-13 07:44 AM
    I only have Snapchat as I couldn't find a way to make Instagram work in the q10 without doing it the debug token way.... that method makes you do estrangeiro steps every 30 days....nah

Snapchat works

Posted via CB10
    09-13-13 12:03 PM
    Thank you very much! I have never participated in forums before! If what you say is true, I will for sure be getting a Q10 in the next few weeks. Also, which 10.2 leak are you running?
    09-15-13 11:40 PM
    Welcome to the forums my friend! I have tried the instagram sideloads but I really dont like it how small it turns out, you cannot see the full picture in the feed, I only use it to upload my photos. That said, I did buy "Instago" from blackberry world, and that is a great app for the Q10, you can do everything except upload photos. You can see full photos in the Instago app and the interface is black and looks great since the Q10 goes for the "dark" theme in OS.

As for snap chat, I have it up and running, video and all but with a few minor setbacks. For one, there is no live notifications. I do not receive a notification in the HUB. I must open up the app and check my feed to see if i received new snaps. So I sometimes go a few hours without checking and have missed a few snaps, but its definitely something I can deal with. Final note, the current app takes photos SIDEWAYS...yup sideways, rotated, and it cant be fixed unless you rotate the phone istelf and take pictures that way. Its kinda hard to adjust the camera while looking at it sideways but I make it work. I hope this gets resolved when the official 10.2 comes out.

Oh and Im running 10.2.0.1323
    LWKING likes this.
    09-15-13 11:49 PM
    Thank you very much! I have never participated in forums before! If what you say is true, I will for sure be getting a Q10 in the next few weeks. Also, which 10.2 leak are you running?
    Now, I am running the 10.2.0.1725 leak (i've installed it yesterday) and it works perfectly. I've installed a debugtoken and any android app that I tesed works (Kik, instagram, opera mini, sky fm!, shazam, official android youtube app and dropbox).

Posted via CB10
    09-15-13 11:50 PM
    is the Instago app affiliated with Instagram, or is it an Instagram-like service?
    Welcome to the forums my friend! I have tried the instagram sideloads but I really dont like it how small it turns out, you cannot see the full picture in the feed, I only use it to upload my photos. That said, I did buy "Instago" from blackberry world, and that is a great app for the Q10, you can do everything except upload photos. You can see full photos in the Instago app and the interface is black and looks great since the Q10 goes for the "dark" theme in OS.

As for snap chat, I have it up and running, video and all but with a few minor setbacks. For one, there is no live notifications. I do not receive a notification in the HUB. I must open up the app and check my feed to see if i received new snaps. So I sometimes go a few hours without checking and have missed a few snaps, but its definitely something I can deal with. Final note, the current app takes photos SIDEWAYS...yup sideways, rotated, and it cant be fixed unless you rotate the phone istelf and take pictures that way. Its kinda hard to adjust the camera while looking at it sideways but I make it work. I hope this gets resolved when the official 10.2 comes out.

Oh and Im running 10.2.0.1323
    09-16-13 03:16 PM
    Check out the leaked OS forum and load up the unlocked Android Runtime. No debug needed for Instagram

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 03:33 PM
    is the Instago app affiliated with Instagram, or is it an Instagram-like service?
    Instago is affiliated with instagram, it literally is the instagram app just with a different skin and well you can't post photos. You log in with instagram credentials, you can search and follow people, etc.

Posted via CB10
    09-16-13 11:19 PM
    I only have Snapchat as I couldn't find a way to make Instagram work in the q10 without doing it the debug token way.... that method makes you do estrangeiro steps every 30 days....nah

Snapchat works

Posted via CB10
    I have a Mac, and these steps take less than a minute in Terminal.

Posted via CB10
    09-17-13 12:29 AM
    Short correction : Instago is not affiliated with Instagram, it just uses the official Instagram API

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 01:50 PM
    Now, I am running the 10.2.0.1725 leak (i've installed it yesterday) and it works perfectly. I've installed a debugtoken and any android app that I tesed works (Kik, instagram, opera mini, sky fm!, shazam, official android youtube app and dropbox).

Posted via CB10
    Perfectly as in snapchat doesn't take shots sideways?
    09-18-13 05:20 PM

Snapchat works

Posted via CB10
    That's not true, you only need to have an up-to-date debug token when installing an app. Once it's installed, the debug token can expire without affecting the app.

That being said, I don't use a debug token with my Instagram install. I only use it to read and comment though, so I have no idea how well it works for posting. Snapchat seems to work fairly well for me; I've both sent and received pictures through it. (FYI screenshot notifications work on it )

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    09-18-13 06:38 PM