Hi I have a q10 running software release 10.2.1.176 and at first the battery life was excellent but now it's not that great. I'm at 20% at the end of the day with not too much usage. So what are some ways I can increase my battery life?
    12-09-13 04:29 PM
    I'm getting great battery life by doing the following:

Never leave android apps open, brightness never above 50%, mobile network set to 4G and only using LTE when downloading stuff, Bluetooth and NFC off when not using, I use Wi-Fi whenever possible (Don't leave it on unless you're using it!), set your sync intervals to a manageable time frame (I do contacts and calendar daily, emails every hour)..

Find what works for you, good luck!
    Lawrie Sherratt likes this.
    12-09-13 04:36 PM
    Using the dark theme (where applicable) and having a black background will help a bit.
    12-09-13 04:47 PM
    And how do I get to those settings
    CBCListener likes this.
    12-09-13 06:10 PM
    I keep my phone in 2G unless I need browser speed, my Q10 lasts about 4 days on a full charge.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 10:47 PM
    I keep my phone in 2G unless I need browser speed, my Q10 lasts about 4 days on a full charge.

Posted via CB10
    That's crazy. I rarely get to the afternoon with my Z10. I cannot get to the evening.

If I make a couple of calls in the morning at the office the Z10 is dead by dinner time.

I don't hate it, it's not a deal breaker for me like many other people bit*hing in the forums. I've just made changes to the way I use the phone. I have chargers everywhere I spend any time. Home, both offices, car. I keep a micro usb in the car so I can take it with me if I'm going somewhere unfamilar.

Anyway. That's my story.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 12:01 AM
    Check battery status with applications like BeBuzz and SIM-INFO http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ntent/40728897
    If it's good or bad?

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 12:40 AM
    That's crazy. I rarely get to the afternoon with my Z10. I cannot get to the evening.

If I make a couple of calls in the morning at the office the Z10 is dead by dinner time.

I don't hate it, it's not a deal breaker for me like many other people bit*hing in the forums. I've just made changes to the way I use the phone. I have chargers everywhere I spend any time. Home, both offices, car. I keep a micro usb in the car so I can take it with me if I'm going somewhere unfamilar.

Anyway. That's my story.

Posted via CB10
    Think the post was for the Q10? But I have the Z10 and will get 12 hours easy on it. I have 4G when I am out of the house. Wifi at home. Four emails, three social sites on my hub. I text and email a lot through out the day. I close my active frames. Display is at 60%. I do have a battery bundle so I don't have to be without my Z. My Q10 is arriving Thursday and looking forward to trying it out.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 10:35 AM
    Think the post was for the Q10? But I have the Z10 and will get 12 hours easy on it. I have 4G when I am out of the house. Wifi at home. Four emails, three social sites on my hub. I text and email a lot through out the day. I close my active frames. Display is at 60%. I do have a battery bundle so I don't have to be without my Z. My Q10 is arriving Thursday and looking forward to trying it out.

Posted via CB10
    Ah ha thanks for the clarification.

As would be appropriate, my battery is going to die. Posting this will push if over the edge

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 06:40 PM
    I'm running stock 10.1 on my Q and I routinely got a day and a half out of one charge. Yesterday, i was playing with settings and today the battery was down to 23% by noon!! I turned off the emergency notifications and also the location services, and the battery life seems to be back up again. So, I'd say to check these settings too. Location is in settings, location services. Emergency is in hub, settings, emergency alerts. I don't know which is the battery drainer, but for me at least it appears to be one of these two. Good luck!
    12-10-13 07:03 PM

Anyway. That's my story.

Posted via CB10
    U and me both... my z barely makes it to 2pm... wasn't a deal breaker up till now I'm going to start working on the road. now more desk to have it charging all day... x_x

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 07:09 PM
    I'm running stock 10.1 on my Q and I routinely got a day and a half out of one charge. Yesterday, i was playing with settings and today the battery was down to 23% by noon!! I turned off the emergency notifications and also the location services, and the battery life seems to be back up again. So, I'd say to check these settings too. Location is in settings, location services. Emergency is in hub, settings, emergency alerts. I don't know which is the battery drainer, but for me at least it appears to be one of these two. Good luck!
    Where in hub settings do you find emergency settings?

Improving battery life-img_20131472.png

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 07:12 PM
    Wherre yours says "cell broadcast", i have emergency alerts.

If you go to hub management, emergency alerts are int here. Mine is set to on. Maybe that puts it into the menu. Anyway, if its off then itsnot draiining your battery.
    12-10-13 07:34 PM
    Ok, but no emergency alerts in hub management for me. Guess that may be a network thing. Gonna turn cell broadcast on and see.

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 07:42 PM
    I'm getting great battery life by doing the following:

Never leave android apps open, brightness never above 50%, mobile network set to 4G and only using LTE when downloading stuff, Bluetooth and NFC off when not using, I use Wi-Fi whenever possible (Don't leave it on unless you're using it!), set your sync intervals to a manageable time frame (I do contacts and calendar daily, emails every hour)..

Find what works for you, good luck!
    depending on where you live, as far as network coverage, having Wi-Fi on constantly supposedly saves battery life. I think BlackBerry actually stated this, and it has worked for me because in my area LTE is not as potent as 4G and my radio is constantly switching back and forth between 4G and a low-bar LTE, which means my battery dies within hours if like that. Having Wi-Fi on, even at home when i'm not using it has saved my battery a lot. just fyi.
    12-10-13 08:14 PM
    I just bought the MUGEN battery for Z10 a 3800Ah battery . You need to buy the thin Z10 bumper case its only $5 bucks, because the MUGEN case is slippery. You will need to drain the battery to 25% and fully recharge it about 4 times to charge up the battery initially. The battery was tested for 4G so LTE will consume the battery life. You will get 40-50% more battery life easy on LTE and you can still charge it with the Z10 battery bundle and yes now you will have two charging batteries.
    Without any charging: I start from 6AM , I have several active emails, brightness at 50% , sync several apps, always on LTE , always on my Stock App , BLAQ , Feed apps , BBM , power user emails with attachments, Youtube user , Storymaker , look a presentations on the phone and calls etc... By noon my phone is at 60% by 4PM its its about 50%. At 50% , this is where the battery excels , it seems to hold the charge very well to 5 PM. Now if you keep your battery charged eg. in your car at your desk etc.. you will never worry about your battery...ever !!!. My buddy a lawyer just got his 4400Ah for his Q10 he never thinks about his battery ....ever !!

Watching those iPhone users running around trying to charge their phones is funny, it looks like a bladder commercial !

Mugen Battery : Mugen Power Super Extended 3800mAh Battery for BlackBerry Z10 4G LTE
    Last edited by jic999; 12-11-13 at 07:31 AM.
    12-11-13 07:19 AM
    For those of you with poor battery life, put it in the slowest speed cell network mode you can, I'm lucky my network can do 2G, but even 3G should use less battery than 4G.

To do this go to settings, network connections, mobile network, network mode.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 10:39 AM
    Guys, he has a Q10, not a Z10. OP, you can set dark themes in certain apps. BBM, swipe down from top and go into settings, "color theme" to dark. This won't be night and day difference on battery life, but it's relevant.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 11:51 AM
    Can you change fro LTE to 4G etc. on sprint? Would changing the network tech from global to LTE/CDMA help the battery life?
    12-14-13 02:19 AM
    If you are willing to do some active work to save battery life, here are some tips:
    1. If you have Wifi available at your current location, use it. Be it your home or your workplace, Wifi always consumes less battery compared to the radio bands. However if you don't have Wifi available, just disable it using the quick settings (scroll down from the top) and tap on the Wifi icon!

2. Observe your network coverage, especially once you have Wifi available, you don't need 3G or LTE networks, since internet traffic runs more than fast via wireless network. Force you phone to use 2G bands only in the network settings.
    However keep an eye on your network coverage. I know some places which feature poor 2G connections, while 3G is surprisngly doing great, thus 3G only would save more power.
    Same goes for if you're on the move (car trip or whatever) and network coverage is changing dramatically, keep your setting at 2G only, especially if you don't need fast internet speed that very moment anyways. The constant scanning on the more bands you enable consumes quite some energy.
    For example right now I'm on my way to a small village in the country side. I know my carrier doesn't feature LTE there and 3G coverage is poor to non-existend. So it's a waste of afford having the phone scanning and checking those bands.

3. The Q10 uses an AMOLED display, the darker the colors are, the less battery is consumed by it. Especially real blacks consume virtually no battery at all. So use dark themed wallpapers. Core applications like BBM, text messages, contacts and calender alls feature a dark theme you can enable inside their specific setting, use them.
    Some 3rd party apps also start featuring dark themes, see if you can enable them.

4. Play around with your screen brightness. I am very disappointed the way BBRY has included this feature, but we'll have to live with it. At least for me insides and during evening/morning hours leaving it all the way down is enough. Outsides during the day, a cloudy one, up to 50% is enough. I only use more once the sun starts to shine.

5. Check what kind of apps you have running, check your syncing accounts for mail and internet. I've found being an active Facebook and Twitter user, while having Whatsapp and quite a number of frequently syncing mail accounts can be really heavy on your battery. Try using push-sync if your accounts support them.
    Keeping Android apps running as active frames is also quite a power-consuming event, keep that away. But also check your native BB10 apps, like wheather apps, if they might cause too much activity.

6. Often not noticed: If you use vibration often for every single message you get, your battery also suffers a heavier drain. Especially if you get a lot of texts and the vibration goes on a lot, this can be an additional source for your problems.

7. Using the phones loudspeakers consumes much more energy than using either wired or bluetooth headsets. If you're watching videos or listen to music, use a headset to listen.

8. Last but not least turn wireless features off if you don't need them: Bluetooth, NFC, Wifi are the most common ones.

I'm using my Q10 since May and I really can't complain about battery performance at all. However I noticed once I actually tried Facebook and lately even tried Whatsapp, it really effects battery life in a noticeable, negative way. Quite obvious: The more stuff requires active connections and syncing, the more resources and thus power it does require. Battery life in the end is always a difficult thing to check, since there are so many variables you'll need to carefully check in order to find the source causing unusual heavy power drains.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    lideek likes this.
    12-14-13 05:15 AM
    ^So where do you find the dark theme option? It's not under BB hub settings? Contacts seems to default to this

Thanks for the information, the only thing I would disagree with is the speakers, I'm pretty sure transmitting bluetooth takes more power than moving the tiny Q10 speakers, and headphones would be about the same.
    12-14-13 05:41 PM