I ahve never used one of these forusm but tought it could be useful. I used BB for as long as they have existed (as busienss/enterprise user) and finally gave up two yers ago and got an I phone. I hate the screen typing especially and I am dying to get a keyboard. I bought my son who had a curve the new Q10 and am waiting for his feedback (not shipped yet - ATT). I am relaxed abotu thsi bug or that - I can live with that. I cannto however get my arms around what apps are really avaialbe for the BB - I am not a heavy user of apps but I like and need Flighttracker and -board, CNBC, ESPN, weather, and other financial apps - so how good is avaialbility for apps on the Q10 - is it a real problem? WHat are views? Thanks for your help!
    06-18-13 12:32 PM
    I ahve never used one of these forusm but tought it could be useful. I used BB for as long as they have existed (as busienss/enterprise user) and finally gave up two yers ago and got an I phone. I hate the screen typing especially and I am dying to get a keyboard. I bought my son who had a curve the new Q10 and am waiting for his feedback (not shipped yet - ATT). I am relaxed abotu thsi bug or that - I can live with that. I cannto however get my arms around what apps are really avaialbe for the BB - I am not a heavy user of apps but I like and need Flighttracker and -board, CNBC, ESPN, weather, and other financial apps - so how good is avaialbility for apps on the Q10 - is it a real problem? WHat are views? Thanks for your help!
    Welcome to the CB Forums,

First off let me say out off all of my devices, Z10/9900/Q10/i5/i4s/S3/OneX/WP8 etc, the Q10 is my main go to device, I honestly have never had such a better mobile computing experience in my life.

For applications, the majority of them are there, and the rest can either be sideloaded converted from android apk to Blackberry bar file, and/or they are definitely in the process of being made. The BB10 platform is only starting out, and growing at a very rapid rate. We are already slated for a 10.1 MR update this summer, and a 10.2 update this fall. The app world is growing in apps by the numbers, wether they be natively built, android ports, webworks, or even adobe air.
    06-18-13 12:42 PM
    See my other response in regards to this. My advice is to jot down all the apps you use the most and see if they are available for OS 10 in app world. I found out pretty much none of mine are at this time
    06-18-13 12:49 PM
    And even if there isn't an app, the browser is great. So, you could just bookmark a page you need until an app comes out.
    06-18-13 12:53 PM
    If the exact apps you use aren't there, most of the time there are equivalents. Based on what you listed there shouldn't be an issue except I'm not sure what you need for financial apps. Banking apps are probably the only thing lacking but the more popular the bb10 Os becomes the sooner these apps will be released. You can also side load in the meantime or use the browser, which is by far the best I've seen on a smartphone.
    06-18-13 12:58 PM
    And even if there isn't an app, the browser is great. So, you could just bookmark a page you need until an app comes out.
    In fact the website Facebook is jut as good as the app just no notifications. But you can set up your Facebook to email you about notifications.
    06-18-13 01:02 PM
    In general, I actually prefer going to some websites versus the app. For example, I am not a huge fan of the ESPN or CNN apps and just go to the websites on my iPad.
    06-18-13 01:03 PM
    Most of the Financial sites work well with the Q10. WSJ has an App, while BloomBerg and CNBC seem to have better than normal mobile sites, CNBC in particular. In addition, if you are a CNBC Pro subscriber, you can use the CNBC pro web site, all of which works, including streaming CNBC live.

There is also an app called "Stocks" which is pretty good and reminds me of the Bloomberg app on iPhone or Blackberry. It is one of the made for BlackBerry OS10 apps.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 01:14 PM
    real helpful guys. WHat other things do I need to worry about before making the switch? Enterprie activation is easy, I love the keyboard, the screen is actually readable in the sun and battery life i sbeeter than I phone - plus i can carry a spare. So truthfully - what will I miss if I switch? Views?
    06-18-13 01:26 PM
    real helpful guys. WHat other things do I need to worry about before making the switch? Enterprie activation is easy, I love the keyboard, the screen is actually readable in the sun and battery life i sbeeter than I phone - plus i can carry a spare. So truthfully - what will I miss if I switch? Views?
    If you are using iChat, make sure you disable it on your iPhone prior to switching, otherwise iPhone users may have problems texting you.
    06-18-13 01:54 PM
    [QUOTE=maddog422;8674011 So truthfully - what will I miss if I switch? Views?[/QUOTE]

Nothing. Give it a try for a few weeks and see what you think. You can always go back to iphone and sell the q10. They go for crazy prices on ebay.
    06-18-13 02:48 PM
    All I know is that I love my Z10. My wife owns an Iphone5 and I never regret my choice when I pick it up.

People say all kinds of things but my experience has been great.

Simply put - its a damn good phone.
    06-18-13 03:10 PM
    i have read some posts that suggest that the enterprise activation and integration which is one of the great advantages of BB (true push e mial etc) is not smooth or obvious for the BB10 devices - any insights on that form anyone?
    06-19-13 12:16 PM
    My understanding is that the biggest problem is whether your company/institution/employer is willing to upgrade to BES 10 which is required with the new OS . . .
    06-19-13 12:18 PM
    My understanding is that the biggest problem is whether your company/institution/employer is willing to upgrade to BES 10 which is required with the new OS . . .
    This is the exact opposite I've heard. It is my understanding the new bb10 syncs the exact same way an iphone or android does -it does not use bis.

However if your organization requires BES then one must upgrade their servers to since with blackberry 10.

But at the end f he day you can sync exactly like an iPhone or android.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    06-19-13 12:22 PM
    I'm confused--that's basically the same thing I said. Maddog422 asked about enterprise activation and not EAS. I was just trying to point out that BB 10 phones won't work with BB servers that have not had BES upgrades. And from what I remember reading, the new BES needs to run on a separate platform which will require some investment on the part of IT.
    06-19-13 12:35 PM
    yes I think you are saying hte same thing. I know I can integrate same way as with an I phone - but the full BB BES integration is much better - but i understand now it is simply a matter of whether the company has invested or will invest to upgrade the server - and many will not do that, so a real pity that RIM did nto makle the the OS 10 devices compatible with all the legacy BES installs...
    06-19-13 12:47 PM
    I talked to my IT department about BES versus EAS. They said in general there isn't much of a difference at least from the user's end. I understand there are advantages to BES. I previously used BES on my last Blackberry but am now using EAS. I haven't noticed any problems and really like it. Plus, in my case, our BES server would go down at least one or two times a month and that always screwed things up on my phone.
    06-19-13 12:53 PM
    oh great - very helpful - thank you!! I really want to be back with teh Blackberry that has served me well for a long time. At least one of my three kids is stilling using BB - he got the Q10 and is testdriving it ...
    06-19-13 12:56 PM
    My only complaint is that OS 10 doesn't have date and time reminders for tasks that I set in Outlook. So in the Remember app on the Q10, the tasks are triggered by the due date and just go off once at a specific time (which I am not sure how that is selected but may be dependent on the hours of the day you set in your calendar). I tend to set reminders for tasks all the time and either delay them an hour or so. One thing I miss but am hoping will come in an upgrade. Anyway, that really doesn't have anything to do with BES or EAS but just thought I'd share.
    06-19-13 01:09 PM
    so my head of IT says I will not really notice the difference and he usally pretty straight so I will go with that...
    06-19-13 01:59 PM
    so my head of IT says I will not really notice the difference and he usally pretty straight so I will go with that...
    Because of the change from strictly proprietary communications on earlier BlackBerry OS versions to the same protocol used by Android and iOS, this is essentially correct. Everything will pretty much "just work" with Exchange.

Posted via CB10
    06-19-13 02:39 PM
    someine in my firm bought a Q10 and gave it back - one of the things she mentioned was the touch screen technology for all the stuff you need to do on screen was less than excellent and made it cumbersome. Anyone have thoughts on that?
    06-20-13 07:25 AM
    someine in my firm bought a Q10 and gave it back - one of the things she mentioned was the touch screen technology for all the stuff you need to do on screen was less than excellent and made it cumbersome. Anyone have thoughts on that?
    Changing from what?
    I can't comment on the latest iOS, but I find the Q10 a lot better than Android.
    06-20-13 07:33 AM
    It takes some getting used to, but it's hardly cumbersome. There's actually an elegance to it once you start to develop some muscle memory.

Posted via CB10
    06-20-13 07:26 PM
28 12