...that aren't BlackBerry try to become a "thing" again. We're more likely going to see a few QWERTY devices from big name companies now that the Q10 release is like right there. BlackBerry 10 is starting to really catch on with new users and returning users alike and device manufacturers are sure to get a little nervous. This is pure speculation but I'm positive that we're likely to see some QWERTY equipped devices try to steal BlackBerry's thunder.
    toutounjiomar likes this.
    04-22-13 05:21 PM
    If anything, I would expect LESS QWERTY devices going forward. Of course, that shift could change at anytime.
    04-23-13 06:34 AM
    Well, Nokia has released a teaser picture of a supposed QWERTY phone just a few days ago, and are expected to be revealing more about it online this Wednesday. So who could predict, maybe more companies will try to keep up with competition.

Personally, i'll be joining the Blackberry family all the way from an Android phone, just for the gorgeous combination of the QWERTY keyboard with the touch screen on the Q10. And i know many people who'll take a QWERTY phone over a touch any day but aren't really fans of BB, so the more options there are, the better.
    04-23-13 12:18 PM
    I don't think you'll see Apple or Samsung go Qwerty at all. BB should be poised to dominate this segment of the market
    04-23-13 12:28 PM
    I don't think you'll see Apple or Samsung go Qwerty at all. BB should be poised to dominate this segment of the market
    I would agree unless the market were to grow enough on the back of BB10 to warrant grabbing marketshare..

Apple bending to the will of the 7 inch tablet by releasing the ipad mini is proof of that. Personally, I think it would behoove both companies to jump back in the field if only to attempt to crush BB once and for all.
    04-23-13 12:46 PM
    That new Nokia QWERTY will most likely be just another addition to their "Asha" series. These phones can't actually be considered as full smartphones and are official advertised as featurephones. I would laugh however if Nokia would actually release a WP8 QWERTY. Seriously. That would be something pretty unique and they could jump right into a spot for a device quite some people want but no company who delivers.

Besides that, I don't think we'll see an increased amount of QWERTY phones this year, why should we? HTC and Sony said farewell to physical keyboards about a year ago. Motorolas line-up is getting completely revamped by Google themselves. Apple won't create an "iPhone" with a physical keyboard, it simply won't fit into the whole design spirit of the iPhone series. Which leaves Samsung. They have so much money, I could actually see them introduce some new, higher-end Android QWERTY,. But mostly too keep Blackberry under pressure, since they really try to capture BBRYs enterprise position.
    sam_tek and Harrison Hoolahan like this.
    04-23-13 01:24 PM
    I've always felt that Steve Jobs's greatest feat was "convincing" the world that you'd be crazy to want a keyboard on a smartphone. We all know just how productive a good keyboard on a smartphone can make you, and the first non-blackberry company that comes up with good hardware will do nicely. As for me, I'm watching the Q10 intently! C'mon! Don't let me down! :-)
    04-23-13 02:11 PM
    Competition wouldn't try keyboard.

All-touch is still the more popular option for consumers.

Plus, you can't beat BlackBerry at keyboards.
    sibeans likes this.
    04-23-13 02:13 PM
    don't be fan boys and be like no one can beat blackberry keyboards

everything gets beaten

maybe this will encourge black berry to support the device even faster and devople more apps to attract more people

Nokia got alot of qwerty keyboard phones, if they managed to bring windows 8 with a qwerty phone that I have to say that is a good thing " even tho not a big fan of Windows 8 " but still maybe it will be better no one knows, there is alawys win and lose no matter how good you are you go down some day and someone instead will raise and so on the cycle of life... " just accept that fact " but again lets see if BB 10 " Q10 " will counter this if they drop the price of the Q10 + more support...
    04-23-13 02:54 PM
    don't be fan boys and be like no one can beat blackberry keyboards

everything gets beaten

maybe this will encourge black berry to support the device even faster and devople more apps to attract more people

Nokia got alot of qwerty keyboard phones, if they managed to bring windows 8 with a qwerty phone that I have to say that is a good thing " even tho not a big fan of Windows 8 " but still maybe it will be better no one knows, there is alawys win and lose no matter how good you are you go down some day and someone instead will raise and so on the cycle of life... " just accept that fact " but again lets see if BB 10 " Q10 " will counter this if they drop the price of the Q10 + more support...
    I'm not a fan boy but facts are facts. Those Nokia phone keyboards are garbage. Droid keyboards were total waste of space. The 9930 BB is best keyboard I've ever used.
    04-23-13 04:42 PM
    Can't see Android pursuing this avenue with their market share unless something progresses due to the Q10 and Apple is too busy developing asinine gimmicks like the iWatch to produce anything useful to society now-a-days. WP8 is a possibility but I think that is even doubtful for a high-end device that could compete with BBRY from a business stand-point.
    04-23-13 05:04 PM
    I'm not a fan boy but facts are facts. Those Nokia phone keyboards are garbage. Droid keyboards were total waste of space. The 9930 BB is best keyboard I've ever used.
    I am really curious which Nokia QWERTY phones you have used. I have used every single one of the Communicator series, including the E90. Then I have also owned the Nokia N900 as well as Nokias last keyboard slider, the Nokia E7. Besides that, I have also handled a Nokia E71 every now and then. All of them were really good phones (for their time) and some still stand out today in several areas. The keyboards always have been very nice. Especially the keyboards of the E7 and E90 are a real pleasure to use.

Actually Nokia is, in terms of keyboard quality, almost on par with Blackberry. At least in my opinion. Besides Blackberry, they also always have been the strongest supporter of physical keyboards. HTC was okay too, at least their Windows Mobile devices - their Android and Windows Phone devices had awkward sliding mechanisms. I never liked the keyboards of Sony or Motorola devices, they have been a good example that physical keyboard != good keyboard.

I really hope Nokia pulls out a nice surprise out of the hat, which would be a Windows Phone QWERTY. However, some usually "well informed" sources already confirmed, it'll be a new Asha feature phone. As expected.
    04-23-13 06:06 PM
    Out of all the current players, BlackBerry & Nokia are the only ones who have done keyboards right. They should continue to own the space since no one else wants to accommodate these users. Want my next device to have a physical QWERTY.
    04-23-13 06:55 PM
    If BBRY produce more cheaper devices, I think noone wants no buy BB anymore. I could see that before releasing 8520, Blackberry was HOT, but after that Blackberry became cheaper brand and most of people started to keep away from BB devices. That happened in Thailand.
    04-24-13 02:44 AM
    I phone 6 will be qwerty...

...and then I woke up!
    04-24-13 03:37 AM
    The "new" nokia 510 asha was announced today. wifi but no 3g. 45 days standby battery life and 12 hours talk time. Single and dual sim options for �50.......sim free, dedicated whatsapp button and lifetime free use of the app (saves me 69p a year so the fone will pay for itself in 70 years)

looks like perfect 2nd fone for me, (especially when out for a night on the beer) and will likely replace my curve when it finally dies. With the S3 I carry I'm finding increasingly hard to justify the costs of 2 smartphones each month.

Its no Q10 or any blackberry killer but its so good to see new qwerty handsets. A qwerty WP8 would be very interesting.
    04-24-13 04:44 AM
    Probably not. High end Android devices with keyboards are no longer made because consumers weren't buying enough of them, and the only two wp devices that did include a keyboard, were a complete failure.

Posted via CB10
    04-24-13 05:34 AM
    I personally think you will see less and less of them. Everyone want a big screen now days!
    04-24-13 05:40 AM
    See the only reason I disagree with this is because little by little these virtual keyboards are getting pretty damn good. Are they at the level on a blackberry keyboard yet? No not yet, but they are close...

Its weird also because its easier to teach someone who is not use to cellphones how to type on a touch screen then a normal keyboard. My mother for example has no idea how to use a keyboard, yet the swipe feature on touchscreens really make it easier for her, along with autocorrect
    04-24-13 05:53 AM
    i actually believe we will see a WP8 qwerty phone from Nokia soon. and I would buy it and try it out because before I bought the Z10 i had an iPhone which I sold and have not looked back, but the Sony xperia mini pro is still in the apartement, just because of the key board. And it works, I still use it from time to time. So an updatet smart phone with a qwerty key board is worth its weight in gold and now Blackberry provides that for those who wants to try it.

Second thought.. I think I need Q10 as well.
    PFman likes this.
    04-24-13 09:18 AM
    The Samsung Stratosphere series has a slide-out physical keyboard. It's a good mid-range Android phone. While I doubt that Samsung will offer physical keyboards in the Galaxy S line in the near future, they have offered them in the past in the Galaxy S line (the Epic 4G and the Captivate Glide).

Now if you're referring only to portrait-styled physical keyboard phones, I doubt that you would see that outside of BlackBerry and Nokia. Most phones that have this form factor are viewed as BlackBerry wanna-be devices by the general public.
    04-24-13 11:24 AM
    The point is that it actually will turn up more of qwerty smartphones because all the players sees there is a marked for it.
    04-24-13 03:57 PM