I've been wanting a Q10 for awhile, and now you can get one from T-Mobile for free with a $25 a month fee to pay for it over 2 years....but you still end up paying over 500 when all is said and done.

It's a good deal, and I'm certainly considering it (I've been wanting to switch to T-Mobile anyway)

BUT

With all of this talk of Blackberry selling itself off and the company possibly being broken apart is making me a bit nervous... and I know we haven't heard for sure whats going to happen but...is it wise to get a phone that I'll have to pay $500 bucks for when the company might not be making phones much longer?
    I REALLY want it, but I'm not made of money and it seems like a potential risk at this point.

Has anyone else bought a BB10 phone recently and having the same concerns, or do you think Blackberry will still be making Blackberry 10 phones after the dust settles?
    08-21-13 09:26 AM
    Even if BlackBerry went away it would take a long time for it to impact your phone. I think your concerns are valid but it's a calculated risk that you take.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 09:34 AM
    Dont be scared. It's worth the try
    08-21-13 09:36 AM
    If they were to fold tomorrow, your Q10 would still be fantastic until your contract is up.

Good news is, they won't go under tomorrow.

Get it, it is phenomenal.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 09:48 AM
    Go for it, you'll still have plenty of support to out last the use of the phone
    08-21-13 09:48 AM
    Even if BlackBerry went away it would take a long time for it to impact your phone. I think your concerns are valid but it's a calculated risk that you take.

Posted via CB10

This.

I was like the OP..... but theni realized that if BBRY fell, it would affect me loong way down the road... when updates ceased to exit et all. By that time the phone and OS coul even be so matured that il have the end product.

Also, take in consideration that this very well could be the "last of the mohicans" in regards to top qualoty qwerty experience. So better take one now that you can...because after this... if BBRY goes down.... youlll never see a quality qwerty phone ever again.
    08-21-13 09:50 AM
    So better take one now that you can...because after this... if BBRY goes down.... youlll never see a quality qwerty phone ever again.
    I like what you're saying but it kind of make me sad lol
    08-21-13 09:53 AM
    As stated before BlackBerrys result for Q1 were very close to break even 84 milllon out of 3.4 billion but a mere 12 million if you discount the missing payments from Venezula that will come eventually.

That being said BlackBerry has three options if they seise to continue in their current form.

1. Bought
    2. Privatized
    3. Partnership

1. IF bought they can either be bought in part or the whole company. Since no one seems to want to pay for their hardware... the'll probably only go out of business if bought as a whole. Even then an accquirer would probably want their enterprise position and thus continue BlackBerry hardware to some extend

2. If privatized the company will most likely continue at least in regards to Enterprize and governance.

3. If a partnership emergers Blackberry would probably outsource their hardware devision but the hardware would stil be supported as the OS will contine under BlackBerry

Anyway I see it you got no cause for worries
    Thunderbuck and bigbadben10 like this.
    08-21-13 10:11 AM
    Even if blackberry ceased to exist anymore and there was zero support for this platform it's an amazing phone. Can't predict the future, but this platform keeps getting better with all the updates being sent out. Best phone I've ever used.

Q10
    08-21-13 10:17 AM
    That was a very well thought out reply for the OP.

OP. Go get one and see. You will love BB10. The keyboard is the best you can buy! It's only going to get better with 10.2 just around the corner.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 10:18 AM
    BB all the way and when I can I will get the Q10 in December.

The most secure platform out there for their users, customers!
    08-21-13 10:20 AM
    Really?
    So the phone won't self destruct the minute BB either gets sold or bought out? WOW.......
    08-21-13 10:29 AM
    You probably hurry up before BB is gone. Where will you find quality phones then?
    08-21-13 10:31 AM
    Ok, so the majority of you agree that even if Blackberry does go under, it won't affect me for quite awhile. So I feel a lot better with that in mind

I think I'd rather try it and enjoy it for as long as I can, rather than wait and possibly miss out on pretty much the last GOOD QWERTY phone out there lol

Thanks everyone
    08-21-13 10:55 AM
    I've heard a few people say that now. "I won't buy a BlackBerry because they're going out of business." That is a circular argument really. "I will help them go out of business by not supporting them because I heard they are going out of business".

Just buy the phone. If you REALLY want one, then go get it. The last I heard, the government will have quite a pile of useless phones if your fears were anywhere near true.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 10:58 AM
    I think you'll love the Q10, and as a bonus I think you'll enjoy T-Mo as your carrier. I've got a Q10 from them and have been very happy with the LTE speeds and their support with it so far.

Hope to see you back here sideloading away soon!
    08-21-13 11:00 AM
    you probably will, I've pretty much decided to get it lol
    08-21-13 11:03 AM
    I've heard a few people say that now. "I won't buy a BlackBerry because they're going out of business." That is a circular argument really. "I will help them go out of business by not supporting them because I heard they are going out of business".

Just buy the phone. If you REALLY want one, then go get it. The last I heard, the government will have quite a pile of useless phones if your fears were anywhere near true.

Posted via CB10

Well, people who work for the government make enough money to switch between expensive phones as much as they like...me not so much lol
    It's not that I don't want to support BB, I was just wondering if I had already waited too late.
    I just didn't really understand what all the talk about selling the company really meant so I was making sure.
    But I've pretty much decided to get the Q10 now so all is well
    Jakob Greve and dusdal like this.
    08-21-13 11:10 AM
    just make sure you like it as it is now and be mentally prepared for no additional support (software or otherwise) from blackberry.
    08-21-13 11:20 AM
    If the world's fastest man has it (Usain Bolt).
    Because your not?
    forward!

"Give me Tools NOT toys"
    08-21-13 11:21 AM
    If you want a phone with a physical keyboard, then the Q10 is your only choice. As others have said, BBRY's corporate plans won't have much of an impact on you IF your main preoccupation is the keyboard and your use is restricted to email, messaging, voice and surfing. Just keep your expectations in line and don't expect any new app development (despite all the initial hype from BBRY about the app selection etc) and also, if BBRY becomes a pure patent play for some financial investor, don't expect much more in terms of OS enhancements.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 11:22 AM
    grow a pair and get it, its not like your keeping it for 5 years. Every phone is out of date within a year. You have nothing to lose, worst case you have a great keyboard phone that can run android.
    08-21-13 11:23 AM
    I think if you are really scared a company will go out of business then it's actually quite simple, just don't buy the phone and stop visiting sites like crackberry or passing by blackberry stores. Really not worth the sleepless nights and being troubled each and every time the media mentioned BlackBerry is doomed or going out of business tomorrow.

For me? I really don't give a rip about any of those news and stuffs, not that I'm ignorant or being blind about BlackBerry current dire situation, but because Q10 is such an amazing and delightful device that none of those things really bother me from enjoying it every hour of the day NOW. Just like how I truly enjoyed using Nokia Pureview 808 for nearly a year because of its crazy good camera eventhough Symbian has already been declared dead when I bought it!

I kinda have some hope for BB10 eventhough nobody in the tech world believe that. This hope is based on the time I spend using it full time as my sole device for 4 months. It just got so much great things and potential especially with the upcoming 10.2. For example just moment ago, I have these few ebooks that I previously bought on my Desktop that I would like to transfer to my Q10. I just use the built-in BB10 File Manager, browse my Macbook folders, Dropbox folder and copy the files on my computer and paste it in my device folder. All done seamlessly without the need to install any apps, cable, jailbreak etc. Now try this using your iPhone or Android.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-13 12:01 PM
    The biggest thing you should be scared of is the disfunctional lemon that is BB10, not the future of BlackBerry as a company.

There's also been a lot of speculation about the future of Nokia, since it appointed Microsoft stooge Steven Elop to CEO and pissed off all it's dedicated long term customers with it's Windows Phone strategy and then it's finances and market position promptly plummeted. That is obviously not a topic that will be discussed in much detail on a Blackberry site but the same kind of issues face Nokia but like Blackberry they are still selling millions of phones which are not going to disappear tomorrow.

If you really want a Q10 go for it. The hardware is ok, despite the irritating sculptured key tops, it's just BB10 that is still a big disappointment to me. I previously used a platform that spoilt the power user with flexible options, settings and choice but BB10 is the polar opposite of that. It just depends on what suits you
    08-21-13 12:11 PM
    I suggest you buy into a platform that doesn't have a clouded future. Consider that BBRY is putting itself on the block, that alone might steer developers from building apps that other platforms (ios & android) take for granted.

Try a google search for an app followed by ios and android, then do the same for BB10...

Let current and future support for the big 2 platforms drive your decision. Live in reality not hope.
    08-21-13 12:25 PM
66 123