Hello crackberry people

Just got the Q10 3 days ago and I'm astonished how poorly it stacks up against my 2.5yr old 9900! Of course I mean in terms of usability & some functions

My upgrade from 9700 to 9900 was smooth & worth it.. I thought I'll have the same feeling when I got the Q10

I'll list some functions that I can't find anymore in Q10 or bad changes as I see it (in no particular order).. I hope that I either understood wrong or it get fixed in the next update

1. Can't do no more key speed dial from main screen.. I guess everyone is crying over this
    2. Can't have separate notifications settings for BBM or Whatsapp groups (LED / sound / vibration)
    3. Can't access emoticon menu through " sym " button
    4. Can't switch to the vibrate only profile through pressing the # key in main screen
    5. Can't clear/delete BBM contact updates anymore
    6. Can't link BBM contact to address book contact through the BBM app
    7. Can't insert a line break in BBM & Whatsapp conversations
    8. Would love to get back the small notification icons that stack up next to the clock & battery indicator. At Least as an option. I don't need to swipe up or check the hub every time
    9. Can't add myself anymore to my BBM contact list. I do this to track my status updates
    10. Only 5 ring tones and 3 BBM tone options.. are you kidding me! And they sound the same
    11. Kinda miss how easy it was to select text using the trackpad. The Q10 way is terrible
    12. Web addresses in Whatsapp conversations are not recognized
    13. Remove text messages from the hub, and yet when you click on the app icon it takes you to the hub!
    14. Can't change BBM group logo
    15. Try adjusting sound volume while playing a video, the large popup Window will block your view for the next 5sec.. wtf!!
    16. Photos app... I didn't use it much so far but something doesn't look right. I saw couple threads here talking about improving it so I guess I'm not alone
    17. I type in couple languages, and this auto language switching is trying to oversmart itself. Wasting more of my time
    18. Can't seem to find the option in accessibility menu to have sound confirmation for different functions (forgot what it's called)
    19. I feel that touch screen precision is better on 9900
    20. I think I'll stop here.. for now, lol.....

With its hardware, the Q10 can promis & deliver alot. I guess RIM overlooked some great small functions that helped me/us sail smoothly throughout the day. Having said all of that, it doesn't mean that the Q10 doesn't have any pros.. it does, but I'm not going to live in the hub for the whole day without actually using the phone for other tasks

What are your thoughts..?

Mo

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 03:57 PM
    Go back to your 9900. Sorry, all I read was "what are your thoughts?"
    06-18-13 04:01 PM
    BlackBerry can't please everyone.i went from 9780 to Z10 and I haven't looked back. Not sure but some people are expecting a completely new phone, but it's the OS that is different.

Canadian Z10 owner on Telus
    stevepar and BBerryPowerUser like this.
    06-18-13 04:02 PM
    ^That's true. That's why I'm glad I came from an iPhone, i used to have a Tour a few years back, I think it made it easier for me to like the q10 since i don't miss any of the legacy features as I don't remember any lol.
    deliworld and Rell_223 like this.
    06-18-13 04:08 PM
    Well, most of these issues are common with a lot of Q10 buyers. I have a Z10 and experience a lot of the same short comings. Most of the cries fall on deaf ears with BBRY as well, which is too bad.

All you'll here from here is "it's a new OS" and "It'll be provided in a future update." But the truth is BBRY left out most of the features people liked and baked in a lot of the stuff no one wanted or asked for.

Some of it may be provided in a future update and hopefully for the sake of the loyalist BBRY users and in the long run the sake of BBRY. Cause I'm not buying the excuses any more.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 04:09 PM
    I also had the 9930 Bold and now the Q10 and I don't see any issues at all! Matter of fact this is the first Blackberry I have owned that didn't have major issues in the beginning.
    The Q10 in my opinion is a well tuned business device that get the job done much faster then before.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 04:11 PM
    The 9900/9930 is only 1.5 year old.
    06-18-13 04:15 PM
    The 9900/9930 is only 1.5 year old.
    2 years in August, but not 2.5 like the OP suggested..

Posted via CB10
    rotorwrench likes this.
    06-18-13 04:21 PM
    7. Hold alt until it's locked then press enter to make line breaks.

Sent from my Q10
    mo83, Ben1232 and andy957 like this.
    06-18-13 04:24 PM
    7. Hold alt until it's locked then press enter to make line breaks.

Sent from my Q10
    Thanks it works!

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 04:29 PM
    And I'm just upset I have to buy a Q10 to get OS10. Just let me keep my Bold 9900 and use the new software. I LOVE the trackpad. I get that the software may not work on the 9900, but it's just what I want.
    mkmilan and Iankis like this.
    06-18-13 04:31 PM
    Yes, OS10 is quite different than OS7 was... but Anyone with only 3 posts here is not to be taken as "average joe". Did you join the site just to bash the q10? Sounds "fishy" to me....
    Sergeant_Im and CarGuy1368 like this.
    06-18-13 05:06 PM
    Agree with all your points and have decided to send my Q10 back after 24 hours. Cant wait to get my previous Blackberry Bold back up and running!
    Legal Eagle and Iankis like this.
    06-18-13 05:19 PM
    Hello crackberry people

Just got the Q10 3 days ago and I'm astonished how poorly it stacks up against my 2.5yr old 9900! Of course I mean in terms of usability & some functions

My upgrade from 9700 to 9900 was smooth & worth it.. I thought I'll have the same feeling when I got the Q10

I'll list some functions that I can't find anymore in Q10 or bad changes as I see it (in no particular order).. I hope that I either understood wrong or it get fixed in the next update

1. Can't do no more key speed dial from main screen.. I guess everyone is crying over this
    2. Can't have separate notifications settings for BBM or Whatsapp groups (LED / sound / vibration)
    4. Can't switch to the vibrate only profile through pressing the # key in main screen
    8. Would love to get back the small notification icons that stack up next to the clock & battery indicator. At Least as an option. I don't need to swipe up or check the hub every time
    9. Can't add myself anymore to my BBM contact list. I do this to track my status updates
    10. Only 5 ring tones and 3 BBM tone options.. are you kidding me! And they sound the same
    11. Kinda miss how easy it was to select text using the trackpad. The Q10 way is terrible
    13. Remove text messages from the hub, and yet when you click on the app icon it takes you to the hub!
    15. Try adjusting sound volume while playing a video, the large popup Window will block your view for the next 5sec.. wtf!!
    16. Photos app... I didn't use it much so far but something doesn't look right. I saw couple threads here talking about improving it so I guess I'm not alone
    17. I type in couple languages, and this auto language switching is trying to oversmart itself. Wasting more of my time
    18. Can't seem to find the option in accessibility menu to have sound confirmation for different functions (forgot what it's called)

With its hardware, the Q10 can promis & deliver alot. I guess RIM overlooked some great small functions that helped me/us sail smoothly throughout the day. Having said all of that, it doesn't mean that the Q10 doesn't have any pros.. it does, but I'm not going to live in the hub for the whole day without actually using the phone for other tasks

Mo

Posted via CB10
    You missed one ... Can't read the text on the website because it is too small. Go ahead and compare the two browsers ... I find the 9900 browser much easier to read text on. To me that trumps your previous 20.
    06-18-13 05:22 PM
    It is apparently matter of taste. I upgraded from 9900, too, and I would never go back. To my biggest suprise I do not miss trackpad at all, to the contrary everything on Q10 seems to me so much smoother and faster. And I love the innovations such as the hub, the autotyping etc. I actually find many new little details very useful such as reminders about friends birthdays based on FB data or posibility to update existing contact which I missed a lot on 9900.

Let's not underestimate the ability of our brains to be selective. Both you and me see and experience what we decided to see and experience, I guess.
    06-18-13 05:31 PM
    Hello crackberry people

Mo

Posted via CB10
    trade you my 9320 for the Q10.
    PM if interested.
    quangtran1 and brmiller1976 like this.
    06-18-13 05:34 PM
    My thoughts? Wah, wah. WHATEVER. Go back to your 9900. I switched from 9900 to z10 and also had an old 9000 I still used. I thought I'd miss some of the old features but I don't miss a thing. This is the best blackberry Ive ever had and that's saying a lot coming from someone who was dead set against touchscreens/touch keyboards.
    06-18-13 05:54 PM
    If you don't want the Q, I'll take it!
    06-18-13 06:15 PM
    Agree with all your points and have decided to send my Q10 back after 24 hours. Cant wait to get my previous Blackberry Bold back up and running!
    24hrs??.. Really?.. That's it? You might want to keep it a few more days just to get used to it.
    06-18-13 06:21 PM
    A few days to give a phone a chance isn't enough. I'm sure you have a 2 week grace period. Try to stick it out. Don't forget that iPhone didn't start off with hundreds of thousands of apps. Same for Android. Blackberry is building something new. They're going to release updates. What you want out of the phone you'll most likely get. They listen to their user base. They have to. Or else they would have been gone and sold like Palm (Although WebOS was a fantastic OS). Give it some time. I'm sure once they begin adding certain features you're looking for, you'll be happy.

Crackberry is a great place for them to receive feedback. if you owned blackberry, I'm sure you'd be on crackberry reading user reviews and work on the devices faults right away. Don't go thinking they're not doing that. I wish you luck!

Posted via CB10
    stevepar and cog921 like this.
    06-18-13 06:29 PM
    How typical that people blast the OP for posting his observations, which clearly don't mesh with your rose colored glasses fanboy attitude.
    Much of what he says is correct. Speed dialing is atrocious. The inability to change font sizes within a message or text is sloppy, lazy coding. But that is all OK because it is good enough for you, right?
    Nice to see that someone with six posts has already adapted to the environment. Blast anyone you disagree with.
    tack, blackmoe, artie and 19 others like this.
    06-18-13 06:34 PM
    Hi dubai911 - I understand and can agree with alot of what you've noted.
    I went from my 9900 to the Z10 and I have to say the browser is fast man and the camera is very good outside. Yes I do miss the wonderful functions that my 9900 has over the BB10 os, no doubt about it. At the same time I'm assuming there will be updates for the Z10 & Q10 that will make us very happy. - Soon I hope.
    06-18-13 06:35 PM
    These threads keep popping up with people longing for what they used to have. It is definitely a matter of preference but unfortunately blackberry is a business and they can't please the few and survive. They had to make drastic changes to survive and sadly that was bound to upset some of the old blackberry users. People will have to adapt because things like the track pad likely wont be coming back. Now some of the other things you mentioned can and will he fixed with software updates.
    This is the reality of business. Making your existing customers happy is important but not at the expense of your business (that more for the people who prefer os7 over bb10).
    06-18-13 06:37 PM
    **edit - long time creeper, first time poster **

For someone who has had theirs for a while - my personal thoughts

/ Have you tried typing 'Dial John' on the home screen? You get instant access to your whole address book this way. Also you can do other things like 'Tweet #MakeSomethingUp' to instantly send tweets etc. After getting used to it, I'll take it any day of the week!

Do you mean for specific contacts? I'm fairly certain I have unique settings for all my apps available, not just these two apps.

99.9% of the time I type out my emoticons '' ':*' etc because it slows me down to touch the screen when I am in an IM, when I do, it is nice to see a much bigger emoticon on the screen... now I actually know what some of them are hah

Fair point, you get this one. Although I find it easy to slide down the settings menu and hit the bell to switch between normal/vibrate here.

Can't say I even knew it existed :| The only gripe I had was the music updates, but I found the option to turn them off and now I'm perfectly happy!

No, but you can link it through the contacts app PLUS a bunch of other contact types now too (and from multiple sources)

Hold down the Alt button for a few seconds (this is a pain somewhat though)

Agreed, although this is pretty minimal an action and in return you get less clutter on the screen.

What? lol

Agreed, although that isn't really a huge deal for me in the slightest.... and I seem to recall you can use different ones as well, not just the assigned ones.

9900 was better, but I'd say a far way from terrible

I'd say that isn't an OS issue as an application issue. Further to that, WhatsApp is terrible. I'd rather text than use it.

I don't use the text app (seems pointless) I always just navigate the individual inboxes within my hub.

Don't have any BBM groups on my device to check

The notifications are a tad annoying. Not wtf annoying, but annoying. I do like if you are playing music how the album art will display on the screen now.

Works great and in my opinion is miles better than my 9900 for me. The built in photo editor sent it into the stratosphere for me.

I only do English/French and it works great for me. Mind you I generally will type a few paragraphs and no mixed language. So I can't claim to have tried it all

Are you one of those people who have that annoying trackpad click on when they use their device??? If you are I would like you to take a long walk off a short pier.

Couldn't disagree with you more here, although I do find the screen dimmer!

I think it could be said there would be a list even longer for a lot of users out there. Sometimes using something new and different is difficult, but we forget some of the things that are actually better, because it is different. I remember specifically when I got my device I HATED the fact there was no trackpad and menu button, now I feel lost if I use anything besides the Q10 for general OS usage with swipes.

No saying that anything you said is wrong, just some feel very much different than you on some items.

*cheers!
    06-18-13 06:38 PM
    How typical that people blast the OP for posting his observations, which clearly don't mesh with your rose colored glasses fanboy attitude.
    Much of what he says is correct. Speed dialing is atrocious. The inability to change font sizes within a message or text is sloppy, lazy coding. But that is all OK because it is good enough for you, right?
    Nice to see that someone with six posts has already adapted to the environment. Blast anyone you disagree with.
    I didn't blast him...

Posted via CB10
    06-18-13 06:44 PM
129 123 ...