I am seriously starting the believe that physical keyboard phones are more prone to having mechanical failures than other phones.

When I got my Q10 last year, it had a wobbly space bar, so I returned the Q10 in for a new one right out of the box.

Then, towards the end of last year, it started double typing, so I sent it in for a warranty repair, which took close to a month through my carrier.
    When I got my phone back, I could clearly feel that the new keyboard has a wobbly space bar, and I sent the phone back in right away.

When I received my Q10 back from the second repair, I was happy with the keyboard. And I used it for another three months before the space bar got wobbly again.

Now that my warranty is expiring at the end of March, I am planning on sending the phone back in for another time to fix the wobbly space bar issue.

Before my Q10, I never had any hardware issues on any phones from feature phones, to my Nokia smartphone before.

I put all my phones in a thick Otterbox or a Seidio case, and I take care of my phones, not leaving it out on moisture and dust.

I always had an impression that BlackBerry phones are built tough to be used for a long time, even if I had never owned one before the Q10. Now, after all these keyboard exchanges, I am starting to doubt that.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 01:20 AM
    These things happen

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 06:38 AM
    I have had many many BlackBerry phones along with friends, my wife, my co workers, colleagues etc and have never heard of any such issues...except when the user was the cause of the issues.

Maybe a tad too rough with devices? Who knows. I know there could be a bad BlackBerry in a batch somewhere but to have 4 go kaputz with one user?

Posted via CB10 on the President Underwood version of the BlackBerry Classic
    03-13-15 07:27 AM
    The double typing issue on the Q10 is what caused me to leave BlackBerry for Android. Now I miss BlackBerry 10 and am anxiously awaiting for my Passport to arrive.
    03-13-15 07:34 AM
    3rd bbry, many jumps, falls, and this q10 has +2years and no probs as the previous, better ask for a change than another repair.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-15 07:52 AM
    Ouch! Sounds like your carrier is paying some kid minimum wage to repair your device...

Time to ask for a new device...
    03-13-15 07:59 AM
    Of course they are more prone to failure, the more moving parts the more that can fail. I'm not sure if it's rampant but it does go by the odds.
    03-13-15 08:02 AM
    Yes, absolutely correct a PKB phone (regardless of the brand or model) will have more chances to be defective as there are more physical parts. A virtual KB phone has less parts to potentially wear out. There are pros and cons in both and most who prefer the PKB (without bugs) enjoy the tactile feel and less or zero errors while typing long messages. Unfortunately you have a defective KB. I had a Q10'that had double typing. I had the KB replaced at a local phone shop and it's perfect. They gave me back the old KB and it was really non responsive on those faulty keys and also proved they changed the KB. If your Q10 is still under warranty, I'd ask for a replacement. Goodluck.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-13-15 08:10 AM