I did something dumb and held my Q10 while I have mighty bond stuff on my hands. So now my Q10 has some stains of the super glue that is not removed no matter how much I rub rubbing alcohol on it. I even tried nail color remover with acetone.

Any one had any experience on this? Something that removed the stains but did not damage the color?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 10:22 AM
    if it has to be something stronger than acetone, it's gonna leave a mark. I would research it on the interwebz and see what remedy you can find to remove the stains.
    popengchan likes this.
    04-28-15 02:04 PM
    On the plastic/glassweave cover ?

There is only one solution. Take a piece of cloth, moisten it in water+soap, put it on the stain... wait for 4 hours, the cloth must stay wet, try to gently blot at the softened glue with a dry cloth. And... Start again the step 1... and again and again, until it's good enough.

Be brave !

P.S: you can replace the water+soap by acetone, but you will probably change the cover color too...
    baarn and popengchan like this.
    04-28-15 02:50 PM
    Acetone and plastic don't get on well together. You may have softened the plastic and rubbed some of the staining into it. I would suggest the keeping moist with water method too.
    There's also super glue remover, but you'd need to test it on an inconspicuous place first.
    popengchan likes this.
    04-28-15 03:28 PM
    I did something dumb and held my Q10 while I have mighty bond stuff on my hands. So now my Q10 has some stains of the super glue that is not removed no matter how much I rub rubbing alcohol on it. I even tried nail color remover with acetone.

Any one had any experience on this? Something that removed the stains but did not damage the color?

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    The back is on ebay for a good price. Buy one and be happy again with the very best BlackBerry

Posted via Q10Bold
    popengchan likes this.
    04-28-15 03:31 PM
    On the plastic/glassweave cover ?

There is only one solution. Take a piece of cloth, moisten it in water+soap, put it on the stain... wait for 4 hours, the cloth must stay wet, try to gently blot at the softened glue with a dry cloth. And... Start again the step 1... and again and again, until it's good enough.

Be brave !

P.S: you can replace the water+soap by acetone, but you will probably change the cover color too...
    The stain is on the sides, near the charging port, so the surface is kinda matte. When you said moisten a cloth and put it on the stain, am I going to hold the cloth against the stain for 4 hours, or just the dab with the water+soap then wait for 4 hours?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 10:11 PM
    Super glue is eventually water soluble. Acetone, or similar solvents, and rubbing alcohol won't help.

Q10 SQN100-1- OS 10.3.1.2558 ... on its 3rd keyboard.
    popengchan likes this.
    04-28-15 10:34 PM
    Goo gone? Might ruin phone though but works for everything I use it on

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.500
    popengchan likes this.
    04-28-15 10:36 PM
    Super glue is eventually water soluble. Acetone, or similar solvents, and rubbing alcohol won't help.

Q10 SQN100-1- OS 10.3.1.2558 ... on its 3rd keyboard.
    I see. That's why most of guys here recommend water. So I just dab water on it or like KEEP it moist?

Posted via CB10
    04-28-15 11:03 PM
    I wouldn't say CA adhesive is particularly soluble in water, in the same way that acrylic itself is not particularly soluble in water. In fact, CA uses water/moisture to activate the curing process.
    Acetone, while effective at dissolving CA, is too good at damaging other materials to be useful in many cases.

I assume the water method, when it works, is more down to its ability to penetrate gaps and get behind the adhesive. Since it is usually least damaging it's worth trying first.
    04-29-15 03:56 AM
    I see. That's why most of guys here recommend water. So I just dab water on it or like KEEP it moist?
    Ideally keep it moist/wet, but don't let water get into your device...
    04-29-15 03:58 AM
    Keep it moist for 4 hours, rub it gently, restart... Water + soap by the way
    popengchan likes this.
    04-29-15 10:16 AM
    You probably have a thin layer of superglue on your phone right?

Carefully scrape of as much as possible without scratching the metal frame...I would try using a razor blade.

I did purchase a brand new housing on amazon for $25.00 just to have the extra parts...that may be your best option. Good Luck!

Posted via CB10
    popengchan likes this.
    04-29-15 10:29 AM
    You probably have a thin layer of superglue on your phone right?

Carefully scrape of as much as possible without scratching the metal frame...I would try using a razor blade.

I did purchase a brand new housing on amazon for $25.00 just to have the extra parts...that may be your best option. Good Luck!

Posted via CB10
    I thought of that, but there is no BlackBerry service centers here. Guess they all closed. And I'm too afraid to change it by myself. I replaced my keyboard once, but I don't think I want to go through that once again.

Posted via CB10
    04-29-15 10:33 AM
    Howtocleanstuff.net mentions that hydrogen peroxide is sometimes effective. Moisten a cloth or cotton ball and hold it against the glue until it softens.
    popengchan likes this.
    04-29-15 03:30 PM
    Get a full body skin to cover the sides. I've used a few different brands and they've all been decent. You'll still see the glue, but it won't be sticky anymore.

I've used Skinomi and ArmourSuit, both fit very well.
    popengchan likes this.
    04-29-15 03:51 PM
    If it's on the battery door, I would just but a replacement battery door and call it a day.

If on the fame, buy a replacement frame and call it a day.

Posted via CB10
    Trauma Surgeon and bbnrs like this.
    04-30-15 01:25 PM