I have had the Q10 for about a week now. Coming from one of the thin Curves - was a great phone. My issues with the Q10 is I cannot figure out how to make calls from the Blackberry Hub or from a bbm conversation. It seems that to make any call you have to go to the phone app? On my old phone if I was in a bbm conversation I could easily make a call.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks,
    Paul
    05-21-14 10:18 AM
    I don't think you can make a call from the hub or a bbm conversation unless there is a phone number in the message.

That being said, all you have to do is swipe up and tap the phone icon and you're good to go, takes less then a second.
    05-21-14 10:33 AM
    I jus start typing from the home screen... "call john doe"
    05-21-14 11:08 AM
    In the Hub you can press and hold on TEXT contacts and it will give the option to call or text. With BBM contacts it doesn't. If you have your previous calls showing in the HUB then you can just call from there. Other than that, the only way you can make calls is through the call application. I would suggest utilizing the quick dials in your call application.
    05-21-14 11:24 AM
    Thank you for the replies - this seems like a huge step backwards. Swiping up and going to the phone app while quick is still a waste of time and unnecessary steps.

There is no way to go from a bbm post directly to someone's contact info so you can make a call? That is a glaring weakness and extremely annoying. People buy these phones to be productive not to send photos around the internet.
    blee4 likes this.
    05-21-14 11:37 AM
    I have had the Q10 for about a week now. Coming from one of the thin Curves - was a great phone. My issues with the Q10 is I cannot figure out how to make calls from the Blackberry Hub or from a bbm conversation. It seems that to make any call you have to go to the phone app? On my old phone if I was in a bbm conversation I could easily make a call.

Thanks,
    Paul
    please explain the steps you are trying to take to make a call from the hub and bbm. how did you do it on your curve?
    05-21-14 11:42 AM
    Thank you for this info, I was trying to do that from the HUB and it would not work, from the home screen it works and I agree it is very helpful.
    05-21-14 11:42 AM
    On my old phone which essentially had a hub it just was not called hub it was just a list were all messages came up - email, txt, bbm and whatever other message. If I clicked on a bbm and wanted to call I would push the green phone but and that would bring up all that persons numbers.

I can see on the new HUB with a text message and email you can click on the person's name and that will bring up the contact info. It is harder with an email than a text because it seems you need to press in a specific place. Either way it seems it can be done but it is harder not easier than previous devices.

With BBM however it doesn't seem like you can easily pull up the contact info from the hub.
    05-21-14 11:46 AM
    From within a BBM conversation you would have to tap the contacts name and it will show their BBM info. On the bottom of that screen is an icon that takes you to their contact information. It is a bunch of extra steps agreed. Much faster to just pull up the phone app. In the hub you can just press and hold anywhere on that contacts text notification and then choose to call. If you open that contacts text conversation than the option to call is in the 'More' overflow menu. There are ways to get to what you need to do. The thing is that BB10 was developed from the ground up and most software parts of the phone were developed by different programmers. BBM especially has been treated like any other app and not like an essential part of BB10 like it was for BBOS. The synergy of all these components may take some time to develop like it did with BBOS. I really hope it gets there soon.
    05-21-14 12:04 PM
    Maybe I am missing a fee critical things. When I tap the persons name in a bbm chat I do not get the contact info I just get his/her BBM info. So I am not able to do what you are saying.

In the hub I also cannot seem to do what you are saying. If i press and hold on a text message for example I get the following choices - a left arrow, a right arrow, an email icon and a select more icon. I also get the trash. I get NO call icon?

It is also extremely frustrating there is no button from the hub to go directly to contacts.

Am I missing something??
    05-21-14 12:11 PM
    Long press on a text in the hub and long press on a bbm message within the BBM app. You should have the same menu. Take a screenshot and show us how yours differs.

And don't forget about speed dial - long press on a key to assign it to a specific contact.

How to make calls - kind of frustrating-img_20140521_123254.png
    How to make calls - kind of frustrating-img_20140521_123358.png

Posted via my beautiful Q10
    05-21-14 12:35 PM
    Maybe I am missing a fee critical things. When I tap the persons name in a bbm chat I do not get the contact info I just get his/her BBM info. So I am not able to do what you are saying.
    In a BBM chat, tap on the contacts name at the top of the chat, on the contact info page, on the bottom of the screen it should have an icon that says "Open" tap this and it should open up the full contact info page providing it is linked in the contact app.

In the hub I also cannot seem to do what you are saying. If i press and hold on a text message for example I get the following choices - a left arrow, a right arrow, an email icon and a select more icon. I also get the trash. I get NO call icon?
    There should be, in order from top to bottom: Priority Hub (up arrow), Reply (left arrow), Forward (right arrow), Mark Unread (opened and closed envelopes), Call (phone) and so on 9 icons in total plus the 3 dots for the overflow menu and finally at the bottom a trash can for delete.

It is also extremely frustrating there is no button from the hub to go directly to contacts.

Am I missing something??
    What are you trying to accomplish with going directly to the contacts from the Hub?

Finally, what OS are you running?
    05-21-14 12:42 PM
    You hold the Voice Command Button and you yell "CALL <INSERT NAME>" haha
    05-21-14 02:03 PM

Thanks,
    Paul
    The old phones had dedicated call buttons and the Q10 doesn't, this would definitely seem like a step backward coming from a qwerty BBOS phone. Hence BBRY returning the strap for those that find this new one awkward. OP once you get used to it, you will find that it's s step in the right direction. A swipe up and click on the phone Icon to launch the app gives you your call log, and fave contacts......its kinda awkward trying to break the mold of the way things were done in BBOS land, but once you get it, there's no other OS out there like it!
    05-21-14 03:26 PM
    SmileDahling - I don't have ANY of that stuff. In the if I long press the ONLY thing that comes up on the right is an UP arrow and the button to select more things. None of the other choices are there.

I am running software version 10.2.1.2102

Thanks you
    Last edited by paulj7272; 05-21-14 at 04:21 PM.
    05-21-14 04:05 PM
    SmileDahling - I don't have ANY of that stuff. In the if I long press the ONLY thing that comes up on the right is an UP arrow and the button to select more things. None of the other choices are there.

Thanks you
    As previously requested, can you show a screen shot of what appears when you follow the outlined steps above? This may help us to troubleshoot

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 05:48 PM

Thanks you
    You are long pressing a bbm chat from the hub. To get the screen shot above you must enter the bbm chat first. By either opening bbm app, or from the hub. Once inside your chat then long press the the person to get the above options.
    If you tap the person from the bbm chat (note chat must be open not tapping from hub). Then on the bottom a box appears with a silhouette of a person tap that which opens the full contact view. You then can call the person from there.
    Yes it is not as integrated from bbm. Like earlier stated bbm was considered a separate entity and hopefully will be integrated better in 10.3

Posted from my awesome Q10
    05-21-14 06:33 PM
    Sir, you are a genius.
    05-21-14 07:06 PM
    Just swipe up and touch the phone icon -_-

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 07:19 PM
    Sir, you are a genius.
    05-21-14 07:45 PM