I don't often post to this site however I am faced with an issue and I need some help before taking the Q10 "plunge".

I presently use a 9790, this is my third BB and it is a fine, small and powerful tool. However, though I do not use the browser for much, I do have a number of sites that I need access to on the web and a faster tool to get there.

I have looked at a number of phones over the past few months including iPhone5 and a number Android phones. In regards to the iPhone 5, Safari on the present iOS has a real problem opening and moving around websites that are heavily written in Java. Android phones seem to be based on a system made up of too many variable components from a variety of sources that could cause problems with functionality. The new BB10 browser, which I have tested on both the Z10 and the Q10 have been great. Both devices read Java (and Flash) without any issues and incredibly fast.

My main concern follows:

I am using Outlook on Mac Computers through Telus, for 5 different pop3 email accounts, which have a huge number of subfolders for historical emails that I keep on my systems as reference material. I prefer not to change the pop3 accounts to IMAP. On my 9790 (as with my 9780 I had before) I can open and read an email; hit the BB button and SAVE the original email in a SAVED MESSAGES folder that is part of OS 6 & 7. I use these saved files as reference for a variety of reasons that have been safely stored in the SAVED MESSAGES folder on my Home screen. (I have had the need to access these saved files when I have been out of cel phone coverage or unable to logon through WIFI, I travel to some remote locations in northern British Columbia and Quebec.)

As for the Q10 & Z10, I have read that some people have lost historical emails that are over 30 days old. Others have suggested saving the emails to the REMEMBER app, however from reading posts it seems that REMEMBER only saves the body of the email where SAVED MESSAGES on the 9790 saves the complete email, addresses and all.

Is there a way to save a native email on the BB10 device that will not be deleted after 30 days? If so, can you explain the procedure for a POP3 email coming into the Inbox on a Q10, and, where it is saved on the BB10 device and how long will it be saved?

Thank you in advance of your assistance in this matter.
    08-04-13 12:53 PM
    Yes the email on your device USED to be limited to 30 days, but since 10.1 you can set it to forever. Just go to the Setup icon, then email accounts select the email and then advanced options, you'll see it when you scroll down. (If it does not give you the option for forever then it will be 90 days.
    08-04-13 08:42 PM
    I tried this but did not find an advanced option when I scrolled down.

Posted via CB10 on my Q10
    08-04-13 11:37 PM
    I tried this but did not find an advanced option when I scrolled down.

Go to Settings > Accounts > Select the email account > Edit account > Advanced > scroll down to the tab where you can choose 30 days, 60 days or forever.
    08-05-13 10:00 PM
    I've noticed that flagging the email on my Q10 does two things: it archives it in my Gmail account (starred) and it is stored to the Remember app. Admittedly, I miss the old way of doing it, but I guess this will have to suffice.

I also miss having the ability to choose the flag color. It was a nice visual cue on my 9700.

Posted via CB10
    08-05-13 10:15 PM
    Go to Settings > Accounts > Select the email account > Edit account > Advanced > scroll down to the tab where you can choose 30 days, 60 days or forever.
    Nope. Scrolled to the bottom of the email account and did not find advanced. Must be doing something wrong. Or is it not on ..2030? When I select the email account it automatically goes to the edit screen. Can't find any advanced button.

08-06-13 08:51 AM
    It only appears on 4xxx builds as far as I know. You also need to be adding a new account for this option to appear - it's the initial retrieval setting, and won't appear once your email account is already loaded. When you get to the screen where you can rename your account, click the button with three sliders on it.

As for saving emails, everything I can find in the Hub is online - no built in local storage. You can file the email in a folder within your email account, or flag it to link it to your Remember app.

For offline storage, you can long hold on some text in the email, click Select All, then copy and paste it into a new Remember note. This saves all formatting when I try it, and you only need to enter in Sender and Subject yourself.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    08-06-13 09:19 AM
    It only appears on 4xxx builds as far as I know. You also need to be adding a new account for this option to appear - it's the initial retrieval setting, and won't appear once your email account is already loaded. When you get to the screen where you can rename your account, click the button with three sliders on it.

As for saving emails, everything I can find in the Hub is online - no built in local storage. You can file the email in a folder within your email account, or flag it to link it to your Remember app.

For offline storage, you can long hold on some text in the email, click Select All, then copy and paste it into a new Remember note. This saves all formatting when I try it, and you only need to enter in Sender and Subject yourself.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    OK. Now it makes sense. Thanks. I will probably just not bother saving emails on the phone. I just have to be sure not to delete them as there is no option to delete only on the phone.

08-06-13 09:55 AM
    Thank you. Do you know where exactly on the device does it save the mail? Is it in a Remember folder or some place else?
    08-06-13 04:33 PM
    Unfiled entries in Remember.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-13 05:02 PM
    I did not find an advanced option under Edit account...nor could I see anywhere to select 30,60 or forever.
    08-06-13 05:25 PM
    I did not find an advanced option under Edit account...nor could I see anywhere to select 30,60 or forever.
    Scroll up and read post by Canada Panda. I had the same question!

08-06-13 05:38 PM
    I have the Advanced option on my Hotmail account but not on my GMail account or on my iCloud account. iCloud was set up as IMAP and GMail was set up under Advanced > GMail which also makes it IMAP by default. Perhaps IMAP accounts don't get the Advanced setting after creation? I was able to set Hotmail to sync "Forever" but no such option with my other accounts. I'm still limited to 30 days for those accounts.

Anybody running BB10.2 that can shed some light on whether this is fixed (changed) on the updated operating system? I'm really hoping they get rid of that limit because I often need to refer back to older emails.
    Last edited by rambo47; 08-07-13 at 01:57 PM.
    08-07-13 01:42 PM
    Scroll up and read post by Canada Panda. I had the same question

Oh, no...that was just me poking the bear
    08-07-13 02:36 PM
    I have the Advanced option on my Hotmail account but not on my GMail account or on my iCloud account. iCloud was set up as IMAP and GMail was set up under Advanced > GMail which also makes it IMAP by default. Perhaps IMAP accounts don't get the Advanced setting after creation? I was able to set Hotmail to sync "Forever" but no such option with my other accounts. I'm still limited to 30 days for those accounts.

Anybody running BB10.2 that can shed some light on whether this is fixed (changed) on the updated operating system? I'm really hoping they get rid of that limit because I often need to refer back to older emails.
    IMAP accounts only have the setting during creation.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    08-07-13 03:27 PM
    Thank you!
    08-07-13 03:28 PM
    IMAP accounts only have the setting during creation.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    So, is it worth deleting the account and setting it up again?

08-07-13 03:59 PM
    So, is it worth deleting the account and setting it up again?

It shouldn't be a problem with an IMAP account. You won't lose anything and the whole process should take about 2 minutes. I'm going to do that right now.
    08-07-13 05:56 PM
    90 day max limit on syncing emails with iCloud set up as an IMAP account. Bummer.
    08-07-13 06:06 PM
    It's worth it...but only if your OS actually has the option for "forever". At this point, those would be either the MR or one of the newer leaks (only the latest 10.2 had it, early 10.2 builds went to 90 days).

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    08-07-13 07:17 PM
    if I flag it will it stay on my phone forever? Which is the easiest way to keep the email on my phone forever. This is a real inconvenience for the 'business man telephone' as it use to be called.

bbq10 tmo
    02-10-15 09:27 PM
    I would be interested to know if there's a way to delete an email from the server, but keep a copy stored locally on the device.

Right now I'm using an app called Email Archiver, but it doesn't save all the data associated with an email, such as the date/time and "To" field, which is inconvenient if you use multiple email accounts.
    02-12-15 01:27 AM