I had a momentary lapse in judgment and turned on the Amazon shopping app that I've always kept buried. Now the stupid thing has access to every part of my Q10 Even though during the installation it said that I could revoke permissions later! It now has my cell number, unique device ID, can tell when I'm on the phone, can use the camera without my input to take pictures or video, can record from the microphone if it wants to, gets location, shared files, pretty much EVERYTHING I refuse to give to any app!!!

Had I known that it would burrow into my device like a tick into a dog I would NEVER have opened it! As is I've been angry with BlackBerry for a long time for putting it into the OS so tightly that you can't ever delete the app! I rarely use the Amazon app store anymore since nearly every app wants the same ridiculous privacy invasion as well. Whenever I try to install an app that behaves like that I instantly delete it without fully installing it and leave a sharp review telling WHY I dumped it!

If I do a total factory reset will that remove this pustulent slime from my Q10? Or when the OS reinstalls will it "remember" it had all of those permissions??

I don't care what others think, I'm seriously pissed off! Bad enough that BlackBerry forced the buying app onto our device's, but allowing such a total privacy invasion without warning that it won't uninstall is sleazy behavior!
    Please, does anyone know how to kill this? I just wanted to see what the app only deal was but will NEVER use my cell phone to make a purchase.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    11-28-15 12:37 AM

Turn On Parental Controls → turn OFF Amazon Apps. This will temporarily remove all the Amazon Apps.
    Go out of, and back into Parental Controls → Turn ON Amazon Apps → turn OFF Parental Controls again.

This will force the Amazon Apps to reinstall, and you get the Permissions dialog again → Deny. This way they won't run in the background anymore.

BlackBerry 10, Passport signed.

P.s.: you seem to be quite sceptical about Permissions, just let me say this: even for completely innocent needs, Apps need to ask you for broad preset Permissions. That's just how Permissions were designed, even if you know what an App asks for you still don't know how much they actually do with that permissions.
    Simple example: SMS/Email permissions does not automatically mean they'll track your email correspondence. Even if the App just has some built in email feedback form or SMS code confirmation, they need to ask for that broad Permission to make it work.

Yes, you are very right to be prudent in what Apps you install, and you are right a lot of Apps will be collecting as much data as they can (it's the payment model we as a society have chosen unfortunately), but the Permission system is very flawed because it is not flexible at all. If you ask me Apps should be able/forced to indicate EXACTLY what they need.

To me this is the big upside for DTEK on the Priv, as I understand that can show exactly when Apps actually try to (ab)use their Permissions, it gives you a much better view of how datahungry they are. I wish that was a feature on BB10. /rant
    Last edited by MrGlenn; 11-28-15 at 01:04 AM.
    11-28-15 12:51 AM
    Perfect! Thank you!
    11-28-15 01:00 AM
    I hate this app. So sick of the daily updates.

Posted via CB10
    11-28-15 09:10 PM
    I'm in FULL agreement with you on that! Between the appstore, the Amazon app and the very few (2 or 3) apps I have from it I get 4 to as many as 10 pop-ups in my notifications daily! Gets very annoying!

I suppose BlackBerry made a deal with Amazon to have to put the buying app into the OS as a condition in getting the app store. I'm not sure if it was worth it. I'm an Amazon Prime member and shop there regularly so this isn't a "I hate Amazon" rant. I just never want to use a device that can be easily lost or stolen to make ANY financial transactions. Not just Amazon, I don't use a "convenient" banking app nor buy anything with my Q10. The BlackBerry itself is pretty secure, the problem is what the other end offers isn't private or secure on too many occasions. Also I never have to be concerned about someone who picks up my Q10 on the rare times it isn't with me. Can't do anything to accounts that don't exist!

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    11-30-15 01:02 PM