Ok, I'm probably one of the few that has both a Z and Q10 and I've got a problem....
    ...I manually entered all my contacts into my Z10 as well as my passwords ( password keeper ).
    ...I bought an unused Q10 off craigslist and attempted to restore that phone from the Z10 backup.

The Blackberry link software will not allow me to do this because the Software versions are different....
    ...I keep getting the failure message - called Tmobile who connected me with Blackberry.
    ...Blackberry told me what I wanted to do wasn't possible yet.

Evidently when the version of the phone you backup is newer then the phone you want to restore to....
    ...You are prevented from doing it!
    ...Blackberry said they were "aware of the problem" but were not sure when and if it would be fixed.

Does anyone have a work around for this?

Blackberry had me wipe the device and get the latest software via Blackberry link that wasn't even available from my carrier..
    ...Even then it still didn't work.
    08-18-13 02:35 PM
    If you are trying to restore your Z backup onto your Q I don't believe you can do that. You will need to set up the Q individually and then when it is set up, back it up for the next time.

Is this what you didn't want to hear?
    08-18-13 02:58 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=824364

Posted from Q10 from CB10 running 10.2.0.1323
    08-18-13 03:01 PM
    If you are trying to restore your Z backup onto your Q I don't believe you can do that. You will need to set up the Q individually and then when it is set up, back it up for the next time.

Is this what you didn't want to hear?
    I was really hoping that Blackberry didn't soil the bed AGAIN on this most basic thing....
    ...I accept that RIM / BBRY simply can't help itself from eating itself alive with stupid Gong show stuff like this.
    ...Thanks jaydee5 - thanks for being honest and upfront!
    08-18-13 03:51 PM
    It can be done, actually. I had a Q10 for 10 days as a test unit. I was running a leaked OS on my Z higher than what was on the Q I received.

I backed up my Z using Sachesi (instead of Link). I then used Darcy's Tool (noted above) to change the OS version of the Backup. I then restored that backup to the Q. There were a couple of instances where game data didn't transfer properly, but all the vital stuff worked fine � including about 700 password keeper entries.
    anon721037 likes this.
    08-18-13 05:59 PM
    I'd just use Contact X. Export contacts on the Z, then import them on the Q. Passwords are a different story.

BlackBerry World - Contact X
    anon721037 likes this.
    08-18-13 06:11 PM
    I'd just use Contact X. Export contacts on the Z, then import them on the Q. Passwords are a different story.

BlackBerry World - Contact X
    Great idea I have that app.

Posted from Q10 from CB10 running 10.2.0.1323
    08-18-13 06:15 PM
    This concept of work around has contaminated Blackberry's business model...
    ...BBRY is using the "work around" method to try to regain market share.
    ...And it shows!
    08-18-13 06:16 PM
    Agreed.
    If only BB Protect was restored to its former functionality, that would have been the simple answer to the original post. The castration of BB Protect is almost my only remaining issue with BB 10.
    08-18-13 06:28 PM
    Agreed.
    If only BB Protect was restored to its former functionality, that would have been the simple answer to the original post. The castration of BB Protect is almost my only issue with BB 10.
    I had a backup of my test Q10 in link but because the new one I bought had a higher software version...
    ...I couldn't load that backup either.
    ...Blackberry admitted they soiled the bed on that one when I was on the phone with them.

They just can help themselves from destroying themselves......
    ...Perhaps it would be better if another company bought em and chopped em up.
    08-18-13 06:31 PM
    I had the same prob last month when I switched my Z for a Q10.

I kept getting an error in Link. It annoys me how there is no easy way to switch from one BB10 device to another. What will happen with new devices are introduced?

Anyway I ended up using IntouchApp for contacts and started fresh for passwords, input words etc.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 07:18 PM
    I have both a Q and a Z too. I have been able to restore using link from both both devices, but found weird bugs when I did. I keep my backup files separate now. Passwords and contacts are my most important things, so I simply use my Outlook email account to sync back my contacts and switched from Password Keeper to Vault to restore my important password data.

Posted via CB10
    08-18-13 08:24 PM
    I had the same prob last month when I switched my Z for a Q10.

I kept getting an error in Link. It annoys me how there is no easy way to switch from one BB10 device to another. What will happen with new devices are introduced?

Anyway I ended up using IntouchApp for contacts and started fresh for passwords, input words etc.

Posted via CB10
    Evidently BBRY didn't think enough of it's most loyal fans to give us this ability....
    ...Either that OR BBRY knew it was going into the toilet & just said "F-it"!

Either way it's just another glaring example in an already massive list of examples....
    ...Of why RIM / BBRY finds itself where it's at.
    08-20-13 05:09 PM
    Pythons,

I totally agree with you. I am having the EXACT same problem and find myself that the same level of frustration as you appear to be. You really hit the nail on the head with the new culture of work arounds being a solution for core competencies of blackberry these days.

Im more hung up on my email and text history than contacts and passwords. I'm not familiar with Darcy tools so Im not sure what this method is capable of if I artificially roll back the software version of the backup file of the Z10. And I'm still not sure what the guy at blackberry meant when he told me that the backup file on BB10/Link didn't restore email history as it only downloaded the emails off of the server and didn't restore them from the file.

I've only had the Q10 for a couple days and haven't even put the sim in it yet as I can't change over until I can be sure I have my data on it. I think I'm just going to return it and get something else.
    08-22-13 02:27 PM