After year and half of use I developed an issue with, what I believe, is keyboard issue. When I am trying to capitalize either letter j or k, instead getting that particular capital letter, I am getting both of them together in lower case just like this: jk. I have a feeling the insides of the keyboard or the connectors are done. With this in mind I would like to find out whether it is really difficult to change the keyboard on my own, or would it be better/safer to have it done professionally. Also, is eBay the right place to buy such replacement parts? Thanks.
    Mike Owsley likes this.
    02-19-15 11:04 PM
    I have done it and it is easy.
    First of all watch the U tube videos.
    The next thing is to have the correct tools. There will be two torx screw tools (I don't remember which) plus one small Phillips). Buy the correct kit.
    Buying off Ebay worked for me. When you get one off Ebay, make sure that "Rev 1" is listed on the bottom back side of the keypad as this has fixed the keyboard issues.
    And finally keep track of the screws that you take out as they are of different lengths. I used and marked bottle cap tops with number from 1 to 12 or so after making a diagram on where the screws were located. This is most important as the first keyboard I replaced I did not do this and had one hell of a time trying to match up the proper screws.
    Also, connecting the cables is kinda tricky as you have to somewhat feel around till they are in place and lightly push to snap the connections together. Piece of cake.
    Also also. The torx screws are really small. So it is easy to drop one onto a carpeted area. I did this and it took a while to find them.
    Last edited by barbarianthemadserb; 02-20-15 at 07:16 AM.
    02-20-15 04:02 AM
    I use a t3 and t5. Gets all the screws out. I learned through youtube also. There's only a handful of screws in the phone so it's relatively easy.

Posted via CB10
    nolimits7 likes this.
    02-20-15 08:49 AM
    02-20-15 12:26 PM
    I've taken my Q10 apart countless times because of the double typing issue (and I shattered my screen once... oops). It isn't too difficult. Make sure you watch YouTube videos BEFORE doing anything. Get the right tools and parts.

Be very careful with some of the flex cables and make sure you secure them completely when assembling your device. Don't rush through anything in this process!

The screws go in specific spots for a reason, so think of a system you can use to keep everything organized.

Also, remember that taking apart your phone voids any warranty you have on it.

Good luck!

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    Last edited by CarGuy1368; 02-21-15 at 03:50 PM.
    nolimits7 and Mike Owsley like this.
    02-21-15 01:56 AM
    I have done it and it is easy.
    First of all watch the U tube videos.
    The next thing is to have the correct tools. There will be two torx screw tools (I don't remember which) plus one small Phillips). Buy the correct kit.
    Buying off Ebay worked for me. When you get one off Ebay, make sure that "Rev 1" is listed on the bottom back side of the keypad as this has fixed the keyboard issues.
    And finally keep track of the screws that you take out as they are of different lengths. I used and marked bottle cap tops with number from 1 to 12 or so after making a diagram on where the screws were located. This is most important as the first keyboard I replaced I did not do this and had one hell of a time trying to match up the proper screws.
    Also, connecting the cables is kinda tricky as you have to somewhat feel around till they are in place and lightly push to snap the connections together. Piece of cake.
    Also also. The torx screws are really small. So it is easy to drop one onto a carpeted area. I did this and it took a while to find them.
    How relevant is that Rev 1 note? What exactly issue does it fix?
    02-21-15 10:53 AM
    I use a t3 and t5. Gets all the screws out. I learned through youtube also. There's only a handful of screws in the phone so it's relatively easy.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks. Looks like I am in the market for t3 and t5 screwdrivers now
    02-21-15 10:54 AM
    Thank you for that link. I have already ordered a new keyboard, but by all means will try to fix the old one as I have to take it apart anyways. Will update later if successful.
    02-21-15 10:55 AM
    I've taken my Q10 apart countless times because of the double typing issue (and I shattered my screen once... oops). It isn't too difficult. Make sure you watch YouTube videos BEFORE doing anything. Get the right tools and parts.

Also, be very careful with some of the flex cables and make sure you secure them completely when assembling your device. Don't rush through anything in this process!

The screws go in specific spots for a reason, so think of a system you can use to keep everything organized.

Also, remember that taking apart your phone voids any warranty you have on it.

Good luck!

Posted via the super amazing BlackBerry Q10
    Ah, the youtube videos, how could I forget. Yup, need to watch few of those over the weekend. Thanks.
    02-21-15 10:58 AM
    Having a day off today I decided to proceed with this keyboard replacement project. Everything was going fin until I reached the first Philips screws right after removing motherboard. I am unable to get hold of it with any of the screwdrivers in my kit, and I am afraid to force it to avoid stripping the crew. Any suggestion where the problem is?

To illustrate which screws I am referring to it is at 3:55 in this video:
    04-03-15 12:10 PM
    Are you using phillips? These came out fine for me when I did my screen replacement.

Posted via CB10
    Mike Owsley likes this.
    04-03-15 02:11 PM
    Yes, I am. I am using exactly the same set as the guy in the video and not of 2 Philips screwdrivers in the set can get a grip.
    04-03-15 02:13 PM
    Sometimes those tiny screws are in tight unfortunately. They also strip easily. I stripped one and it was really tough to get it out. Make sure the philips is small enough that it gets down all the way in the screw and cross your fingers that you can twist it out.
    nolimits7 likes this.
    04-03-15 02:27 PM
    Those 2 screws are the hardest.... you have to push INTO the screws while turning....

Even stripped... you should be able to turn them... cuz that's how mine are at the moment but I've still been able to put them in....

The problem is that they're so small there's no pitch for the driver to bite
    nolimits7 likes this.
    04-03-15 03:58 PM
    Comparing to how easily all other screws came out, I am afraid to force it out yet. I have a friend coming tonight with hopefully higher grade of those screwdrivers, and I will see if that will help. If now I will try with more force. I thought there might be a trick to those screws of some sort.
    04-03-15 04:05 PM
    So, got a different set of screwdrivers last night, can get hold of the screws now but they still refuse to budge. I guess I will have no choice now but to force it but it makes me afraid I will strip the in the process. Is it possible they are glued in? If so is there a way to loosen that first before proceeding?
    FCSC likes this.
    04-04-15 11:17 AM
    So, got a different set of screwdrivers last night, can get hold of the screws now but they still refuse to budge. I guess I will have no choice now but to force it but it makes me afraid I will strip the in the process. Is it possible they are glued in? If so is there a way to loosen that first before proceeding?
    I told you. They are very tight. You need to apply some real torque in some cases. Just be sure the screw driver sits all the way down in the screw. If it strips they can eventually be removed but you will need to find 2 new screws that size to replace the stripped ones. That may be quite a challenge.
    04-04-15 02:23 PM
    I told you. They are very tight. You need to apply some real torque in some cases. Just be sure the screw driver sits all the way down in the screw. If it strips they can eventually be removed but you will need to find 2 new screws that size to replace the stripped ones. That may be quite a challenge.
    Oh, believe me, I realized the screws were very tight and I applied enough torque that made me think I will break the phone in half. Results are as follows : one is out, one is stripped. I was trying so hard that my smallest screwdriver is also stripped. Question is what now with the screw that is stripped and is refusing to budge?

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 03:23 PM
    That's how the battle zone looks like at the moment

How difficult is it to replace a keyboard on Q10?-img_20150404_135501.jpg
    How difficult is it to replace a keyboard on Q10?-img_20150404_135451.jpg
    How difficult is it to replace a keyboard on Q10?-img_20150404_135431.jpg

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 03:56 PM
    Sorry to hear one of the screws stripped. Happened to me too once. I had to dig it out. Took a long time. I had another dead Q10 sitting around that I took a screw from. Ebay is a great place to find spare parts for the Q10. There is a seller called "trinacell" that sells ton's of Blackberry parts. They even sell the entire front of the Q10 (Display, keyboard, frame). All you would need to do is put your motherboard in and the black back plate and you're good to go.
    04-04-15 09:08 PM
    I'm sorry to read about these challenges. We BlackBerry loyalists deserve better. We're so devoted that we have to disassemble our phones?

Time to step back and take a deep breath.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 10:01 PM
    Are there any class action lawsuits lawyers amongst us?

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 10:04 PM
    I'm sorry to read about these challenges. We BlackBerry loyalists deserve better. We're so devoted that we have to disassemble our phones?

Time to step back and take a deep breath.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you so much for caring so deeply. You really strike me like you give a fu#$%k.
    04-05-15 02:42 AM
    Are there any class action lawsuits lawyers amongst us?

Posted via CB10
    Really?
    04-05-15 02:43 AM
    Sorry to say but I don't think this project has a happy ending. As of now I am looking for a pro that can undo a stripped screw in greater Vancouver area.
    04-05-15 03:17 AM
33 12